• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 begins in 100 days- what are we expecting?

Evilisk

I'm expecting to see the new God of War along with the other expected stuff (like more Horizon, Last Guardian, maybe Detroit: Becoming Human). Touhou might be there too considering 14.5 is getting a PS4 port (with extra content) and a fangame is getting localized by NISA as well.

What I really want to see though is PlayStation Battle Royale 2

GlamFM

Banned
The Last of Us 2
NX
Bloodborne 2
More Final Fantasy 7 Remake footage
Final Fantasy 16
Crash Bandicoot
Destiny DLC (taken king sized) for September release
Destiny 2 for 2017 September release

Oh right! I forgot about the September DLC for Destiny.

They probably wont show Destiny 2 then.

Carn82

They probably wont show Destiny 2 then.

unless the DLC ties in with some 'Destiny 2' perks. I can see a nice trailer about the september DLC, with some flashes of Destiny 2 near the end and a shitty line like "Pre-order the DLC now and get a free ugly shader next year!"

/thesaltisreal

GlamFM

Banned
unless the DLC ties in with some 'Destiny 2' perks. I can see a nice trailer about the september DLC, with some flashes of Destiny 2 near the end and a shitty line like "Pre-order the DLC now and get a free ugly shader next year!"

/thesaltisreal

I wouldn't be surprised to see a full blow out of the Sep DLC and perhaps a little teaser (just a few seconds or so) for Destiny 2.

A logo maybe

But I don´t see any benefit for them to draw too much attention away from the DLC.

First trailer at VGX possibly.

Andyliini

Mainly awaiting news from Nintendo:

NX, release windows and games.
Games for 3DS and Wii U for the rest of the year.
Treehouse Live.

Seriously, Treehouse Live has been the highlight of E3 in 2014 & 2015. Presenters are great and really love the job they do. And they know how to show the games. Should really star a topic on which games they will show this year, after they confirm the Live sessions again.

Not gonna happen, and that seems like a bad business decision.

For AAA developers, there is no money to be made in a niche market like VR, so they won't support PSVR.

GTA VR, the ultimate system seller for sure. Can't see that one happening with current specs, either.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
With E3, Reggie always takes centre stage as he's the NoA representative and it's an American show. However Iwata was often the one to show off new hardware (IIRC the GBA Micro is only hardware Reggie has shown off first). I wonder if Kimishima will be the one to introduce the NX.

GlamFM

Banned
Not gonna happen, and that seems like a bad business decision.

For AAA developers, there is no money to be made in a niche market like VR, so they won't support PSVR.

Sony will have to put the money down and make the push for VR.

Publishers have been burned with making software for peripherals in the past.

That being said - I expect NMS to be VR compatible ;)

UrbanRats

Man, i hope the GT crew do something by then, because this could be the first E3 since 2007 that won't bother following LIVE.

Bethesda Game Studios' new project (initial reveal only)

I think people need to seriously reign in expectations here to avoid disappointment. Skyrim was announced over two years after Fallout 3 released, and released 11 months later. Fallout 4 was announced almost three and a half years after Skyrim released, and was released 5 (!!!) months later. Given how well both of these games sold and how well their marketing was received by the press and the fans, why on Nirn would they announce TES6 a mere 7 months after releasing Fallout 4, and ask us to wait at least another two and a half years before we can play it? Not going to happen. Todd's team loves working out of the spotlight until the very last minute.

Expect:

Fallout 4 DLC. Probably something big.
Elder Scrolls Online Expansion. Again, something big, since the will have just released the Dark Brotherhood DLC by this point and might be looking at a big new area (perhaps Vvardenfell) for their next release.
And the gamble: Skyrim remastered for PS4 and Xbox One, with mod support on consoles. Because we know they ported Skyrim to current gen as part of their engine redesign for Fallout 4's development. We know that engine now supports mods for consoles. We know TES6 is years away and a lot of people are looking to scratch the Tamriel itch that TESO couldn't.

Have any of those released yet? Also, 3 games out of about 300 just happen to be different.

Not sure what being released has to do with it. E3 is all about future games after all. And I just picked three examples, I could have picked more, from Unravel to Sea of Thieves and from Project Setsuna to For Honor or Nier: Automata, there was a ton of stuff last year that doesn't fit the easy 'everything was a shooter' moniker.

yuraya

Likely

- New Star Wars game
- Kojima teases new game with a troll trailer like the Moby Dick stuff.
- Nintendo spends 1 hour talking about Amiibos
- Resident Evil 7
- From Software teases new ip
- Bethesda teases new ip
- Lots of talk about VR and hololens
- Crash Bandicoot
- Microsoft teases new ip
- Watch Dogs 2
- A new MOBA will be shown and nobody will care.
- Slim versions of PS4/X1.

Unlikely

- Half-Life 3
- Portal 3
- Left 4 Dead 3
- Team Fortress 3
- Rockstar teasing new game

mcarlie

Banned
NX is three times more powerful than PS4 and is $299. Comes with new Zelda.
Half Life 3
Red Dead Ronin

Anything less and I'll express my utter disappointment on my favourite video game discussion boards.

- NX is going to blow minds or cause crushing depression, nothing in between
- Microsoft might announce an Xbox One Slim with extra horsepower under the bonnet
- Sony will not live up to their 2015 show, Last Guardian will be delayed to 2017, Rime won't be mentioned
- EA will show the newest space-waifu lineup in ME Andromeda, then two hours of sport shit nobody cares about. Maybe Amy Hennig's Star Wars game
- Ubisoft will bombard us with Tom Cuh-Lancys and #girlwood. Memes will be pitched
- Square will fucking slay with Nier Automata
- Bethesda will continue making games in the Gamebryo engine

Azzawon

I'm hoping to hear more from Codemasters. I want to hear more about F1 2016, and I'm really hoping for a new entry in the GRID franchise.

Expectations:

NX reveal accompanied by much consternation, disappointment, and melt-downs.

Hopes:

NX exceeds my expectations.

Undead Labs reveals State of Decay sequel with local co-op and online multiplayer.

KooopaKid

Banned
The new Zelda and a new 3D Mario. We haven't seen both being unveiled like that since 2000?
Also Pikmin 4, BG&E2, The Last Guardian and Rime.
Hopefully a new Nintendo IP like Splatoon too.

Euron

My very early predictions:

Bethesda

Decent show but not anywhere as big as last year. They'll show off Fallout 4 DLC and announce The Evil Within 2 then do a big gameplay blowout of Dishonored 2. They may announce their new IP here (since I doubt the second game in production is Fallout 5) but there's a 0% chance we see The Elder Scrolls VI.

Microsoft

Pretty much just gameplay of games we already know about. I don't see them having many surprises. Maybe an Xbox One S if anything. Very interested to see what Recore is and if it releases this year.

EA

Multiplayer gameplay of Battlefield 5 and Titanfall 2, first gameplay of Mass Effect, and possibly the announcement of their action Star Wars game. It'll probably release in November 2017 to coincide with Episode VIII. Nothing big aside from that and gameplay of games we already know about.

Sony

I'm fully convinced they're making a new Crash Bandicoot. It will probably open the show like TLG did last year (called that one). Either God of War 4 or TLOU2 will be announced. It'll probably be TLOU 2 even though it'll end up coming out later than GOW4. Bend's game should finally get announced as well. We may even see R* turn up here but probably just for GTAV DLC. Third Party (CoD, Destiny Expansion, Watch Dogs 2) will take up a lot of time.

Ubisoft

Watch Dogs 2 blowout, For Honor for release this year, Ghost Recon and South Park for 2017, will end on a reveal of an open world Splinter Cell.

Nintendo

Here's where things get tricky. We'll see a blowout on the new Zelda including its final name. I believe the NX and its name will be announced some time before the show but I could be very wrong. People are probably going to be underwhelmed by it as Nintendo's business model won't involve a deluge of heavy hitters but rather a focus on amiibos and social features. We'll see the Smash Bros 4 port and maybe Pikmin 4. Retro will be there but their game won't be Metroid Prime 4 (it'll probably be a Diddy Kong game or a new IP). Splatoon and XCX will also get ports. We may see the first glimpse of a new 3D Mario. Overall it'll probably be overhyped and end up underwhelming. Yes I am indeed still pissed about Paper Mario. However I think it's very likely we'll see some niche games like Eternal Darkness 2 and BG&E2 but they may not be revealed at E3 and instead in a later direct.

mindsale

Nintendo

-The Legend of Zelda Wii U fully revealed running on its superior NX tech, not shown in Wii U form; that release given an extremely limited print
-Pikmin 4 NX
-Dragon Quest XI on NX
-Mario NXt
(Prediction - NXt or Next becomes the new designation for software titles [like Super Metroid, Super Ghouls & Ghosts, etc] even after codename NX is dropped in favor of its retail name)
-Every single currently available and forthcoming Wii U game being ported to NX (there is zero backwards compatibility and zero discount for existing software holders).
-NX is on-par visually with PlayStation 4
-Ubisoft, EA pledge their support as third-parties; announce NX Party and Just Dance Next.

I'd like to say I'm looking forward to seeing what Nintendo has in store and that they'll be dropping bombs, but everytime I expect anything from them they massively disappoint, and that's even with very minimal expectations on my part.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Rocksteady is up to, and 17 bit. Would love to see the latter finish up Galak-Z, been hankering for season V and the suspected incoming endurance mode.

Baleoce

My E3 anticipation is basically all about NX this year. If the others manage to surprise me then that's also cool.

As for expectations, well things I want would be F-Zero, Wave Race. Put a port of Star Fox Zero on NX as well. Metroid.

Things I expect. Zelda NX, 3D Mario, and a host of Wii U Ports to bolster the initial launch line up.

Sony will probably have the most interesting line-up. Some of their studios have been quiet for a really long time. They can easily 'win' E3 if they show some new games + Horizon + Last Guardian + GT. Personally I'm most interested in the new game from Sucker Punch. Love that studio.

Microsoft needs something big to win back some of the market share, especially in Europe. Maybe a revision of the xbox one at a cheaper price. As a pc-gamer I'm interested to see how they will address W10, maybe they go nuts and say that every game shown is going to be a W10 cross buy or at least on the W10 store.

Nintendo has to show the NX. After the Wii U they need to explain why this is going to be successful. They honestly should do the same thing Sony did with the PS4 announcement (a total change from previous gen and show they learned from the mistakes). It can be everything, a cheap mobile centric device or a real console with normal controls. I hope it will have Wii U backwards compatibility, but the reports of a smash bros port indicate it probably won't have the BC.

Sony will probably have the most interesting line-up. Some of their studios have been quiet for a really long time. They can easily 'win' E3 if they show some new games + Horizon + Last Guardian + GT. Personally I'm most interested in the new game from Sucker Punch. Love that studio.

Microsoft needs something big to win back some of the market share, especially in Europe. Maybe a revision of the xbox one at a cheaper price. As a pc-gamer I'm interested to see how they will address W10, maybe they go nuts and say that every game shown is going to be a W10 cross buy or at least on the W10 store.

Nintendo has to show the NX. After the Wii U they need to explain why this is going to be successful. They honestly should do the same thing Sony did with the PS4 announcement (a total change from previous gen and show they learned from the mistakes). It can be everything, a cheap mobile centric device or a real console with normal controls. I hope it will have Wii U backwards compatibility, but the reports of a smash bros port indicate it probably won't have the BC.

There is nothing they can do in europe at this point.

Neoxon

My very early predictions:

Bethesda

Decent show but not anywhere as big as last year. They'll show off Fallout 4 DLC and announce The Evil Within 2 then do a big gameplay blowout of Dishonored 2. They may announce their new IP here (since I doubt the second game in production is Fallout 5) but there's a 0% chance we see The Elder Scrolls VI.

Microsoft

Pretty much just gameplay of games we already know about. I don't see them having many surprises. Maybe an Xbox One S if anything. Very interested to see what Recore is and if it releases this year.

EA

Multiplayer gameplay of Battlefield 5 and Titanfall 2, first gameplay of Mass Effect, and possibly the announcement of their action Star Wars game. It'll probably release in November 2017 to coincide with Episode VIII. Nothing big aside from that and gameplay of games we already know about.

Sony

I'm fully convinced they're making a new Crash Bandicoot. It will probably open the show like TLG did last year (called that one). Either God of War 4 or TLOU2 will be announced. It'll probably be TLOU 2 even though it'll end up coming out later than GOW4. Bend's game should finally get announced as well. We may even see R* turn up here but probably just for GTAV DLC. Third Party (CoD, Destiny Expansion, Watch Dogs 2) will take up a lot of time.

Ubisoft

Watch Dogs 2 blowout, For Honor for release this year, Ghost Recon and South Park for 2017, will end on a reveal of an open world Splinter Cell.

Nintendo

Here's where things get tricky. We'll see a blowout on the new Zelda including its final name. I believe the NX and its name will be announced some time before the show but I could be very wrong. People are probably going to be underwhelmed by it as Nintendo's business model won't involve a deluge of heavy hitters but rather a focus on amiibos and social features. We'll see the Smash Bros 4 port and maybe Pikmin 4. Retro will be there but their game won't be Metroid Prime 4 (it'll probably be a Diddy Kong game or a new IP). Splatoon and XCX will also get ports. We may see the first glimpse of a new 3D Mario. Overall it'll probably be overhyped and end up underwhelming. Yes I am indeed still pissed about Paper Mario. However I think it's very likely we'll see some niche games like Eternal Darkness 2 and BG&E2 but they may not be revealed at E3 and instead in a later direct.
Not too sure about Splatoon getting a port. I mean, it could happen. But it was made quickly enough to where they could get a sequel out the door by 2017.

Yarbskoo

Ocarina of Time HD
GTA VI
Soul Calibur VI
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 6 This Time it's Actually Good Edition
GTA III HD Remake
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4x HD
Half-Life 2: Episode 3: Chapter 1

I'm trying to keep my expectations reasonably low.

viHuGi

Banned
God of War, Sucker Punch new IP, Crash Bandicoot, Last of Us 2, Bloodborne 2, Agent, RdR2, Forza Horizon 3, Driveclub 2 or Motostrom, new ips, Titanfall 2, BF5, Call of Duty Bloodline.

There is nothing they can do in europe at this point.

Jup, I also think that, but maybe a cheaper Xbox One and a big marketing campaign can change that a bit? An Xbox One 2.0.
It seems they just don't care about Europe (I live in Belgium and I can't remember a single Xbox One ad or a friend mentioning the xbox one).

Baleoce

Prepare yourselves for Amiibo. Because you're getting amiibo. There won't be a game that goes by where it's not mentioned. It will likely be an integral part of the NXs business strategy.

zeromcd73

They can if they nail the Zelda and NX reveals.
I had no idea it was so big for Wii until that Pal sales thread tonight
Of course, the original Twilight Princess was a launch title for Wii back in week 49, 2006 (selling to 2/3rds of Wii hardware buyers that week).
Hopefully Nintendo nails that one hard.

They can if they nail the Zelda and NX reveals.

It will take more then zelda to win over core gamers who have not cared about nintendo for over a decade. Launching against cheaper ps4 and x1 which have all third party support which has 60 million users on them is not a good position. They need a miracle. Zelda is not even near their biggest IP.

Ganondolf

It will take more then zelda to win over core gamers who have not cared about nintendo for over a decade. Launching against cheaper ps4 and x1 which have all third party support which has 60 million users on them is not a good position. They need a miracle. Zelda is not even near their biggest IP.

I think Nintendo will be aiming to sell more NXs (console & hardware) than Wii u and 3ds. I doubt Nintendo is expecting to out sale playstation. its more to get back in the right direction sales wise.

Top Bottom