• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 begins in 100 days- what are we expecting?

I have been a Nintendo fan since early childhood, and even though my past few Nintendo consoles have been little more than background decoration in my home, I'm very excited for the NX. My main gaming console is the Xbox One, so I have both company's games and console announcements to look forward to.

The only thing I'll be watching for is the NX. Once we know how the handheld/console scheme pans out and what the first-party launch library is like, I can budget and time my adoption accordingly. The 3DS and Wii U are keeping me busy enough that, as with them, I may wait a year or two before jumping in. In the case of Nintendo's portables, I've found that it's always worthwhile to wait for at least the first hardware revision, and we obviously won't be hearing about that so soon. For the home console, I will be keeping an eye open for legacy controller compatibility, how the VC library will be carried forward, and whether there will be some form of off-TV support (a killer feature that made me get significantly more time out of my Wii U than I would have otherwise).

I would be surprised if we didn't hear a peep about what Retro has been working on since Tropical Freeze, even if it's a long ways off (supposing it changed platforms during development, though DKCTF was out the door late enough that their next title might have been targeted for NX from the start). I don't know if it would be wise for Nintendo to promise titles that are as much as two to three years away from announcement, as accepted a practice as that may be for other platforms and publishers (and as complicit as they have been themselves with niche titles like Bayonetta 2, XCX, and TMS#FE); I don't place much inherent value in hype the way a lot of people here do. What stood out about the Wii was just how much was delivered on schedule within the first twelve months, even if a lot of the games filling out the schedule were clearly retooled from projects that began life on the GameCube (Super Paper Mario, Prime 3, Radiant Dawn)—a transition that naturally went smoothly due to the shared hardware architecture. Better to have a robust launch library promptly moved forward from the previous platform than not much of a launch library at all.

I frankly won't trust anything we'll hear about third parties on the NX, nor will I much care, unless the portability to the platform is so far above expectations that we are getting major upcoming and unreleased titles as a simultaneous release, establishing triple support for X1/PS4/NX as the norm. And I highly doubt that will be the case. (Personally, I'm not even sure that kind of rote console parity is where I want the NX to go; a lot of people here seem to crave it—inexplicably, given that it's usually the same people who already have PS4s—but the thought of it leaves me apathetic. Far more compelling, to me, would be some sign that Nintendo has a solid plan for sustaining its output through the good times and the bad regardless of whether third parties can be relied upon. I like Nintendo's positioning in a distinct market of its own, so long as they are able to stay afloat.)

As for what else we know we'll see: I'm already in the bag for Zelda (just a matter of which platform, if it's a TP-style dual release, and if the NX launch year is otherwise blank I may stick with the Wii U regardless). No interest in VR. Where the major software exhibitors are concerned, short of BG&E2 or another Rayman to follow Origins/Legends there isn't much Ubisoft can offer me, and I've already written off EA. On the PC side (not typically well served by E3), I will be paying attention to anything Firaxis has to say, as this will probably be the year we hear about Civilization VI.

speedomodel

Dead Rising 4 announcement at MS conference. Fall 2016, 3 playable character (like GTA V), return to "roots" with a mall-setting, no loading between areas. Xbox/Win10 exclusive.

Quantum Break DLC, Alan Wake-themed somehow.

New game by Moon Studios. Coming 2017.

Gameplay for Recore, September release date.

Phantom Dust re-announced, new developer shows gameplay. Coming 2017.

New Red Dead announced. Red Dead Redemption on BC, free with preorder. Coming Fall 2016.

Expecting Nintendo to drop megatons this year. More second and third party devs on board for NX, another game developed by Platinum Games (The Wonderful 102 pls? It's a far cry, I know, but a man can dream), more news on Pokemon Sun/Moon, a more in depth presentation on Miitomo and Pokemon Go, and a 10-15 minute presentation on their new account system. After the majority of Nintendo games we already knew about that were presented at the last E3 I'm hoping that we'll see a lot of new titles.

I don't really have high expectations from Microsoft this year, they're probably going to be on par or just below how they presented last year. With Phil Spencer at the helm though I think MS will have a great lineup of new games and more information on upcoming games that were announced last year. Not sure if this would be announced at the Microsoft show, but I'm expecting a release date for Mass Effect Andromena.

From Sony I'd like to see more info on FFVII Remake and The Last Guardian and I'd love to see more PS2 games announced for PS4. Specifically Shadow of the Colossus.
What I'm really hoping to see though is an announcement or more information about KojiPro's new game. I don't care if it's a pre-rendered video or if it's just a slideshow of game environments/models, I'm just hyped to see what Kojima can do now that he's free from the clutches of Konami.

Nintendo is always a wildcard. Never bet against them.

And with a new console being revealed, you can literally expect anything and everything.

The interesting thing about Nintendo is that their showing is never "okay" or "decent". I't total amazeballs or the worst thing ever. A or F. No middle ground. Period.

Of course, that's usually due to the insane hype placed upon them by their fanboys, which currently make up their entire audience, but I digress.

The interesting thing about Nintendo is that their showing is never "okay" or "decent". I't total amazeballs or the worst thing ever. A or F. No middle ground. Period.

Of course, that's usually due to the insane hype placed upon them by their fanboys, which currently make up their entire audience, but I digress.
Eh, not really
Last direct or the E3 2015 direct were really bad, and it had nothing to do with overhyping fans

Sadist

Serious post;

Microsoft

- I have no idea what MS will have at E3 this year. Might sound bad, but my interest in Xbox has hit a new all time low. So bear with me here.
- Crackdown 3 will be there
- Scalebound getting some time
- ... uh, eh, I guess some weird exclusive third party deal?

EA

- Lots of FIFA coverage. Pele has been benched though. Everybody cheers.
- Mass Effect Andromeda reveal
- Mirror's Edge gameplay
- One new IP
- Need For Speed looks pretty meh
- Yet again the most boring presentation

Ubisoft

- Always Aisha Tyler
- South Park: The Fractured Buttwhole gameplay
- Watch_Dogs 2 The Many Towers
- For Honor is actually pretty terrible
- Beyond Good & Evil 2 rumour isn't true :(

Sony

- New Santa Monica studio game
- Maybe something new from a studio like Molecule
- The Last Guardian gameplay demo
- Lots of third party partner talk
- Some deals with western third parties
- Several "Will be playable first on PS4" like things
- PS VR not leaving the impact they want

Nintendo

- NX info all around
- Zelda U/NX
- New 3D Mario trailer
- Something out of left field
- Third parties... iffy on that

Random

- Resident Evil 2 Remake or maybe 7 news
- Ni No Kuni 2 footage
- Deus Ex Mankind Divided lookin' good
- Warner Bros. publishing another DC superhero game
- Final Fantasy VII Remake first episode dated
- Nothing on Kingdom Hearts III
- Persona 5 ... ... yeah... maybe 2016?

sinxtanx

Sony
The Last Guardian firm release date
Crash Bandicoot something
PSVR

Microsoft
Halo and friends
a car is yet again on stage
Xbone S

Nintendo
NX blowout to end all blowouts
NWC 2016
Zelda Zelda Zelda (Zelda)

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Dead Rising 4 announcement at MS conference. Fall 2016, 3 playable character (like GTA V), return to "roots" with a mall-setting, no loading between areas. Xbox/Win10 exclusive.

Quantum Break DLC, Alan Wake-themed somehow.

New game by Moon Studios. Coming 2017.

Gameplay for Recore, September release date.

Phantom Dust re-announced, new developer shows gameplay. Coming 2017.

New Red Dead announced. Red Dead Redemption on BC, free with preorder. Coming Fall 2016.

No chance. This is Rockstar. It took them almost 2 years to release GTA V from announcement and a total of 3 and a half years for the PC version. I hope I'm wrong though.

God of War 4 should surely be revealed at this point.

It's the third of Sony's big three cinematic graphical showpiece franchises (with KZ/UC being the others), and it was leaked a long time ago to be happening. Official reveal please?

I've been foaming at the mouth in anticipation for this game.

My sony e3 predictions are:

Last of us 2

Crash bandicoot game reveal in some capacity

More on kingdom hearts 3 with a release date

I wouldn't expect to know anything about Naughty Dog's next game until next year. Sony wouldn't want to distract any attention on Uncharted 4 which will be barely in the market for a month by the time E3 rolls around.

Third party time

Ea
Battlefield 5
Titanfall2
Mass effect
Fifa
Madden

Ubisoft
Watch dogs 2
Tom clancy ghost recon wildlands gameplay
Division dlc plans
South park FBH gameplay
For honor release date

Bethseda
Fallout dlc
Dishonored 2 game play/Release

Square enix(if they have one)
DeuS ex gameplay
last ffxv trailer(believe)
Kh3 trailer/release window of 2017
Ffvii gameplay trailer/window of 2017
Tomb raider ps4(if anyone still cares) release date

Left 4 Dead 3 or Half Life 3 will finally be announced. Sony and Valve will strike a deal and Sony will pretend it's an exclusive. Microsoft will announce a Red Dead sequel on their stage and will also find a way to make something about it seem exclusive. Microsoft will also announce the remaster for RDR will appear on Xbox first...by a whole two weeks

Only one of these things has any real chance of happening and that's Left 4 Dead 3.

Cornbread78

Nothing can top last year, so some quick guesses based of my own interests, lol:

Sony:
- Final Fantasy XII HD info
- Final Fantasy XV trailer
- Persona V trailer
- Ni No Kuni 2 trailer
- Neir: Automata trailer
- The Last Guardian trailer
- Rime trailer
- Horizon trailer
- SSM's game
- Studio Bend's game
- PSVR info
- Crash Bandicoot

MS:
- Games for Windows
- XB1 2.0 Steambox edition

Nintendo:
- NX
- NX games
- NX
- NX games

speedomodel

MS:
- Games for Windows

giphy.gif

KooopaKid

Banned
This year is guaranteed to be better than last for the Nintendo side alone.
For the Sony side as well since we should get release dates and playable demos of TLG, Rime, FFXV, Horizon, NieR 2 and so on.

Neoxon

Nothing can top last year, so some quick guesses based of my own interests, lol:

Sony:
- Final Fantasy XII HD info
- Final Fantasy XV trailer
- Persona V trailer
- Ni No Kuni 2 trailer
- Neir: Automata trailer
- The Last Guardian trailer
- Rime trailer
- Horizon trailer
- SSM's game
- Studio Bend's game
- PSVR info
- Crash Bandicoot

MS:
- Games for Windows

Nintendo:
- NX
- NX games
- NX
- NX games
For Nintendo fans, last year isn't hard to top. And while I do sincerely hope that the main E3 presentation for Nintendo is nothing but NX info, the likes of Paper Mario & Pokémon kinda threw a wrench in my hopes.

Jinaar

Looking to see games introduced by SONY and MICROSOFT that will not be released for many years or never at all.

E3 is Jack's disappointed heart.

Andrey

Banned
I expect Nintendo to only show the NX controller and say "Launches at Holidays 16". The rest of the time is gonna be spent with Zelda U (NX version "soon").

Meesh

NX. It's all about the NX.

-Also expect some kind of Nintendo funded third party game in addition to BG&E if that's actually a thing.
-Zelda NX.
-Animal Crossing NX being that we haven't heard about a console version for awhile...
-Whatever Retro is doing.

-High hopes for MH NX.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
This might legit be the best E3 yet.

Sony: FFXV, Horizon, Rime, No Man's Sky, Last Guardian, PSVR, Last of Us 2 (?), God of War 4 (?), Crash (?), Shenmue 3 (?), and more

Microsoft: Sea of Thieves, Recore, new Gears of War, Halo Wars 2, Crackdown 3, and more.

Nintendo: NX, Launch lineup, Zelda WiiU, Pikmin 4, Retro Studios (?), Mother 3 (?), New Mario (?), and more

Other possibilities: New Mass Effect, New Resident Evil, Dishonored 2, Titanfall 2, BG&E2, new Rockstar game, new Mafia, new Elder Scrolls, Dues Ex Mankind Divided, New Star Wars galore, and more.

Leatherface

I am most curious about the next Nintendo controller. I hope the NX still features a screen on the gamepad like on Wii-U, just a more compact design. I actually liked that feature a lot and feel like it wasn't explored as much as it could have been due to lack of 3rd party support. It didn't need to be gimmicky. It could be used in subtle and effective ways for gaming. Hell, not having to interrupt gameplay to browse my inventory makes it worthwhile IMO.

You don't sell 50 million+ 3DS units solely to fanboys. Nintendo still has plenty of people interested in what they bring to the table. Even the biggest Nintendo haters are going to be tuning in to see what the NX is.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Greatness. Just strapping the belt on for the ride

giphy.gif

I am a bit perplexed that we haven't received new details on some of Sony's titles announced last year. Namely Gravity Rush 2 and The Laat Guardian. Sony has been stacking the first six months typically and looks like those two will miss that period. Is this the year where Sony goes all in during the fall/holiday period? Still time for them to announce a summer release for some titles though.

tr00per

man mods are quick

Lol

You guys reminded me of star wars! I'll take 1313 by visceral, a pod racer by criterion (are they still small from the downsizing?) and some serious battlefront additions. Too bad bioware is doing ME cause a new kotor - like game would be pretty sweet

Rngade85

Neo Member
I'm expecting two new Xbox's to be announced based on the 14nm process.

A slim version with similar performance to the current Xbox along with a much faster Xbox Plus. All forwards and backwards compatible.

Last years prediction thread was great, here's my E3 2016 Predictions:

Sony:
-We'll see more of what was shown at E3 2015: TLG, FFVIIR, Shenmue. Only TLG is given a release date (Fall 2016 or Spring 2017).
-New God of War. Not numbered, new protagonist. 2017
-Hellblade is given a release date, fall/winter 2016
-Kojima on stage. Talks partnership and shows concept art/footage, "working" title. Dates not given
-Thatgamecompany's game revealed. Multiplatform. "First" on PS4
-Bend's game. 2017
-Horizon is Sony's big game this fall. Lots shown and date announced. (Also, this has been said by others before, but I'll bet this game turns out to be in the same universe as Killzone)
-Sony grabs marketing rights for Mass Effect: Andromeda
-No more than 20 minutes spent on PSVR games

Microsoft:
-The next Forza game is a full Forza Horizon / Fast and Furious Tie in
-Xbox Slim announcement, $299.
-Ninja Theory is working on another game alongside Hellblade, announced as AAA XB1/Win10 exclusive
-Original Xbox BC on Xbox One. In preview "today." Digital game store for OG Xbox, all games ~$5-10
-Cyberpunk 2077 teased
-Lawbreakers console debut on XB1
-New game from Undead Labs
-More Recore (I predict we'll have seen gameplay and have a release date for this prior to E3)
-Big (AAA) fall 2017 exclusive teased. Not Halo or Gears
-Tacoma release trailer and date, XB1/Win10.

Nintendo:
-Not much to say, I believe NX will be announced, release this fall, and be $350 or less. Zelda and Minecraft among launch titles.

EA:
-Amy Hennig's Star Wars Revealed, releases 2017
-Full gameplay blowout on Mass Effect Andromeda. While the game will let players choose gender of the main character, the female version will be featured in marketing materials (trailer /box art).
-Need for Speed Podracer
-More info on the Hazelight studios game

Ubisoft:
-In keeping with their trend of closing out the show with a big new game, a new Splinter Cell is shown.

Diablos

There better be God of War 4 and The Last Of Us 2 reveal. God dammit.

Also FF7 remake stuff. Please. Pretty please.

Top Bottom