• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 gets a new logo.

Don't like it. This would be better imho:

V5eJo8N.png

Better but still fugly. The 3 is just absolutely abysmal.

Kuntz

Some edges in this new design are rather disturbing.

I'd have prefered a bear with a bag on its shoulders.

Well change is good, i guess.

impirius

A super-quick sketch of how you could arrange these two fixed-stroke-width characters in a nicer way:

I mean, it's boring, and the 3 needs a lot of work, but the point is that there are plenty of good and decent ways to put an E and a 3 together. They're made for each other.

ChrisD

I know that none of the fonts present belong to any one company, but the 2018 looks so much like the Wii logo, I can't help but see it any other way

jts

...hate me...
It’s not perfect, but it’s ok. Definitely an improvement.

It’s funny that people are not catching that the lip on the E is creating this cute little 3D effect on the 3.

jts

...hate me...
Lmao that's reaching
I don't know, even though the execution is sloppy, it seems pretty deliberate to me and it falls right in line with both the event thematic and the logo heritage. So...

I'll have to wait and see what Brand New writes about it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's funny that people are not catching that the lip on the E is creating this cute little 3D effect on the 3.
No, it's not. The curvature is all wrong if that's what they've been going for. The curvature there is actually really bad, no matter what they've been going for. It just looks amateurish, and the more I look at it, the more it annoys me.

Wamb0wneD

Really guys? This thing is a graphic design nightmare.

- That uneven stroke separating the bottom of 'E' and '3'

- The top separation stroke is a different width from the bottom between 'E' and '3'

- That weird lip they decided to tack onto the 'E'

- Having the '2018' Just sit on top of the '3,' creating an inconsistency between how the letters interact with each other (The 'E' is clearly separated from the '3')

- Altogether, that awkward stair shape is going to be so annoying for a designer to place anywhere.

I'm sure somebody got paid a shit ton for this too. I truly wonder where these humongous companies are getting their graphic designers.

Preach. This is awful.

jts

...hate me...
No, it's not. The curvature is all wrong if that's what they've been going for. The curvature there is actually really bad, no matter what they've been going for. It just looks amateurish, and the more I look at it, the more it annoys me.
I already agreed on the execution not being the best, but while the curvatures don't match on a closer look, the 3D effect when watching from a distance is still pretty apparent to me. Can't just unsee it because of a technicality.

delta_reg

The way the 2018 and E3 line up just seems awkward and kinda bizarre. I'm not sure what the point of that is. I also don't like the bottom part of the E the way it extends out and doesn't stay parallel to the bottom part of the 3. Other than that it's just another boring modern minimalist design, not much else to say really.

Van Bur3n

This. Graphic designers are getting hella lazy.

Ultimately, it's all up to the client. For all we know, the graphic designer they hired came up with many other designs, better ones, but the client ended up choosing that one. As a graphic designer, no matter how much a client's decision pains you, sometimes you just have to go with it and take your money.

Nevertheless, there are graphic designers out there who are given great opportunities and never bother to put much effort into their work. It's especially annoying when you know you can do better. But hey, if that's what the client wants.

I usually don't like re-designs like this, as they tend to kill personality the originals had..
But in this case, the old one was super outdated, so I'm totally ok with this :p

120v

can't believe it took them so long to change it. not that i care, but it was always in the back of my mind "really? they're still rolling with that?"

Top Bottom