• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3: Reggie on Wii U beating Xbox and PlayStation

Ironjam

we'll see...

momentum is the most important...

The WiiU has the least momentum of the 3. They release a game, it sells some units, then drought for a month or 2, another game after that, it sells some units, rinse and repeat. You need constant game releases to have any kind of momentum.

Real world momentum and internet/die hard message board momentum are two different things. It's hard not to get caught up in the moment because we are just a couple days from their press conference, but it's important to remember that. The stuff that we all find boring, like Call of duty and nba, are what sold these new consoles last year and led them to outsell the Wii u despite it having a much more "hardcore gamer friendly" lineup.

The Wii U has proven with the subdued impact of IPs like Super Mario 3D World and New Super Mario Bros. U that a new installment of an evergreen IP (like Mario Kart) won't be able to permanently reverse its poor fortunes.

Its problems are systemic and will continue to haunt the console until it gets replaced with an appropriate successor.

Hindl

.... you kidding, right.

These posts (the one you're quoting, not yours) need subjectively or IMO somewhere in them. To the average gamer, the idea that Nintendo has a better 2015 lineup is ridiculous. For some, it's not. Like me, in my opinion, I think Nintendo still has the best lineup. I know many won't agree with me, and that's cool. I don't really like shooters or sandboxes, and I much prefer JRPGs to Western RPGs. So neither MS or Sony has a lot to offer me. To me, Nintendo has a better lineup than the other two. But I know no one else thinks that so I make sure to qualify my statements.

And after their absence this E3 I'm sticking FFXV and KHIII in the HL3 category of never coming out until I hold it in my hand.

Unbounded

It is not gonna be a three-horse race. This gen will not be balanced. PS4 will be way ahead of nr2 this gen, and there wil even be a big disparity between nr2(xbone) and nr3 (wiiu).

Lol no. If MK8 doesn't push Wii U ahead, nothing will. It's the last of the big Wii franchises.
Smashbros is, you mean.

rokkerkory

I believe Xbone and Wii U sales will be more close than some expected here this year and Wii U will be at lead in early 2015 yet.

BTW

Halo Collection dropped in Amazon chartz to #7 while Mario Kart Wii U took the #1 and it was tracking in this place since Nintendo E3 Direct.

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames/ref=sv_vg_12

Wouldn't you expect a game that is out to trend a bit better than a game that isn't? People can order and play MK8 now. Not taking anything away from MK8 but tracking games out now vs game that will be available 5 months from now and comparing is kinda apples to oranges.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
You don't want to visit NPD thread next monday.

I would actually imagine Monday to be a pretty good day for Nintendo.. as long as you don't have crazy unrealistic expectations. I would "think" that MK8 should place in the top 10 (maybe even top 5.. except that it's combined sales) and Wii U should post its highest sales since the holidays.

You are really underestimating the brand power that xbox still has in North America. I fully expect them and Sony to be neck and neck here and that is the territory that will provably make up a bulk of their sales. Nintendo has "won e3" and had "the best holiday lineup!" Before and it hasnt meant much. Sony and MS still have the lineups that more consumers want, regardless of how boring guys on GAF find them because it's just another CoD or another Assassins Creed.

I think you're overestimating it. The PS2 dominated the US market. How well did the PS3 do?

In terms of exclusives PS4 only has drive club. I think Xbox One and WiiU have a good chance of at least outselling PS4 this holiday.

So many multiplat games are marketed as being only on PS4 that it doesn't need exclusives, atleast not now. PS4 is its own system seller. The Destiny glacier white PS4 bundle will probably lift PS4 higher than every hardware combined in september. And then ofcourse, GTA V is coming which is having another exclusive promotion with Sony.

[

most of the third party games are boring and predictable.

Destiny, Witcher 3, Batman, MKX and Rainbow Six Siege are the big names and they disagree with you.

kinggroin

Banned
Lololol is he stoopid?!?! Doesn't he read GAF NPD threads?! I have no idea how he didn't say PlayStation and Xbox will win.

prag16

Banned
No it's not. It's really really not. Xbone will outsell Wii u easily.

xbone will be dead in Japan, and if the vast majority ultimately end up choosing PS4 over xbone, Wii U could have a shot as a more popular "2nd console" than xbone. Maybe.

But yeah, I'll be pretty shocked if Wii U ends up with a higher LTD.

I would actually imagine Monday to be a pretty good day for Nintendo.. as long as you don't have crazy unrealistic expectations. I would "think" that MK8 should place in the top 10 (maybe even top 5.. except that it's combined sales) and Wii U should post its highest sales since the holidays.

Nintendo has already commented that Mario Kart 8 has sold approximately 450K in ithe USA in its first three days of release.

With those kind of numbers, Mario Kart 8 should make the Top 5 easily.

So many multiplat games are marketed as being only on PS4 that it doesn't need exclusives, atleast not now. PS4 is its own system seller. The Destiny glacier white PS4 bundle will probably lift PS4 higher than every hardware combined in september.

Destiny, Witcher 3, Batman, MKX and Rainbow Six Siege are the big names and they disagree with you.

I said most.. Those games look great.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
In terms of exclusives PS4 only has drive club. I think Xbox One and WiiU have a good chance of at least outselling PS4 this holiday.

In pretend land maybe. In the real world, not a chance. Consumers look at the entire library, not exclusives.

muteant

You are really underestimating the brand power that xbox still has in North America.
I think you're overestimating the concept of "brand power." yes, there are diehards who will blindly buy a One regardless of any other factors, but they're largely the ones who've already bought the system. i do think that the price cut will temporarily give the One momentum, and there may be enough high-profile multiplatform stuff to keep them in a comfortable second, but if nintendo slashes the price of the wii u this holiday season, with smash and mario kart staring at them from the store shelves, a good number of my families are going to bite, and if Sony keeps outclassing its estranged twin Microsoft in most facets, it's not just a green-pipe dream that nintendo could accelerate into second place going into 2015.

Garcia

I'm actually getting a Wii U before a PS4 this year and I also don't think this is likely to happen... They made a big mistake in how they marketed the Wii U to the point where people still believe the tablet itself is the console. I think the PS4 will lead this gen.

borghe

Nintendo has already commented that Mario Kart 8 has sold approximately 450K in ithe USA in its first three days of release.

what were the other releases? Remember the top 10 is combined.. So a title that released on 6 platforms only needs to sell an average of like 80K per platform to beat it.

As a Nintendo fan, it saddens me that there will be so many broken hearts on Monday. The Wii U will perform relatively well, but it's not gonna suddenly rocket to 200K+ sales monthly
Not sure who really expects it to. 60-90K is realistic.

syko de4d

Wii U will win the generation in Japan, but I don't see it having a realistic shot in the rest of the world (unless they can somehow really hit it big in an emerging market). But I think it has a decent shot at beating the Xbox One.

I see a good chance for WiiU beating the Xbox One nearly everywhere outside of native english speaking countrys.

prwxv3

Is anyone else find it hilarious that all the excuses and arguments Sony fanboys used last gen is being used by Nintendo and MS fanboys this gen, while Sony fanboys this gen are reverse.

RM8

WiiU is doing sub-GCN numbers, how would it hope to outsell XB1? I was under the impression that while not PS4-like, XB1 was doing fine. I absolutely want WiiU to succeed but I wouldn't say it's going to outsell XB1 in the long run.

I think you're overestimating it. The PS2 dominated the US market. How well did the PS3 do?

I think you and a lot of other people don't realize just how pitifully the Wii u is selling. It needs an uptick and change of fortunes JUST to get to GameCube numbers. And that is ltd in a territories. MS and Sony will probably probably outdo the Wii Us worldwide numbers in N. America alone, if not come close to it. 360 and PS3 did about 23 and 13 million respectively here, which are probably both more than what the Wii U is on pace to do.

xbone will be dead in Japan, and if the vast majority ultimately end up choosing PS4 over xbone, Wii U could have a shot as a more popular "2nd console" than xbone. Maybe.

But yeah, I'll be pretty shocked if Wii U ends up with a higher LTD.

Yup, the X1 only has NA/UK, and they're getting beat in both. Nintendo actually has global appeal (as in, it'll sell not just in one or two regions, but everywhere). If Japan and Europe can make up for the difference then they will stay in second place for a long while. Outside of NA/UK, the X1 is completely dead

A year ago, it would have been unbelievable to think the X1 would struggle to surpass the Wii U, yet here we are.

prag16

Banned
A year ago, it would have been unbelievable to think the X1 would struggle to surpass the Wii U, yet here we are.

Well, I wouldn't quite say we're there yet. But we're headed in that direction.

I can't think of anything that should beat it out for #2 honestly. The Show? I'm thinking 3rd for that one. EDIT: Forgot about Wolfenstein. I think that should beat The Show. Not sure if that or MK8 takes #2.

I think you and a lot of other people don't realize just how pitifully the Wii u is selling. It needs an uptick and change of fortunes JUST to get to GameCube numbers. And that is ltd in a territories. MS and Sony will probably probably outdo the Wii Us worldwide numbers in N. America alone, if not come close to it. 360 and PS3 did about 23 and 13 million respectively here, which are probably both more than what the Wii U is on pace to do.

I'm fully aware of how poorly the Wii U is currently selling, and you need to roughly double your numbers for the 360 and PS3.

borghe

I was under the impression that while not PS4-like, XB1 was doing fine.
not to stray too far off topic, but this is largely BS fanboy rhetoric. The fact is that in the US and the UK after launch, sales have been extremely slow and tracking a ways behind 360 (PS4 slightly ahead of 360), and outside of those two countries the system is dead as dead can be. Of course that is all between post-launch (Jan) and pre-price cut (June). We'll have to wait two months from now to see the real effect of the price cut.

Especially since it came out, what, with 2 days left in the tracking period? I'm thinking 80K, which is good enough, and hopefully June is better

I "believe" 9 days, though I could be wrong. Unless they are giving June 5 weeks (which wouldn't make sense).

edit - although yeah... if there are 5 weeks in May, 80-90K actually seems more realistic. even 100K may be possible.

Guymelef

Dear Reggie, Miyamoto is watching you.
Z7kWJLN.gif

PusherT

Nintendo needs a win. Wii U won E3 but now they need to combine Mario Kart 8 momentum and E3 2014 into a retail victory. Nintendo needs to sting together a few strong sale months and maybe some 3rd parties comeback. Ubisoft is Nintendo's key western 3rd party partner they still like Nintendo.

The dirty little secret is if you look at life-to-date numbers, between Sony and Nintendo they’d be pretty close in terms of PS4 vs. Wii U, with Xbox coming in third place. I think it’s going to be a three-horse race for the balance of this cycle.

maury_laughingepy2p.gif

"Second consoles" are a niche thing. They'll not meaningfully change sales trajectories.

whoa whoa whoa... you are spinning just as bad as Reggie here and with even less data. Mario Kart caused 115% WoW sales in japan, and 310% WoW sales in the US. Yes Japan saw a drop this week however a) MK8 was still the best selling non-new release this week and b) sales were still 50% above pre-MK8 sales and over 100% above all time low sales. Beyond all of those factors, the game has only been out for two friggin weeks so trying to extrapolate ANYTHING out of just that one week is pretty silly.

You're citing big percentage increases over pathetic numbers that still leave sales in pathetic territories. And those percentages are falling, as they should. A known commodity such as Mario Kart or Smash Brothers cannot be reasonably expected to impact sales significantly upon release. (A 300% increase in a single week is not significant, mind you. Over the course of a year and certainly a generation, it is entirely immaterial.)

Wynnebeck

Banned
Between this, Shuhei's "It's almost too good", and Spencer's "clowds", this takes the cake. At least the other two can obfuscate details without too much problems. This is him basically flat out spouting bullshit. Not like this Reggie.

not to stray too far off topic, but this is largely BS fanboy rhetoric. The fact is that in the US and the UK after launch, sales have been extremely slow and tracking a ways behind 360 (PS4 slightly ahead of 360), and outside of those two countries the system is dead as dead can be. Of course that is all between post-launch (Jan) and pre-price cut (June). We'll have to wait two months from now to see the real effect of the price cut.

I "believe" 9 days, though I could be wrong. Unless they are giving June 5 weeks (which wouldn't make sense).

Yup, if I'm not wrong, the PS4 sold to consumers (for the first quarter) 3 times as many X1s as MS shipped with the X1 shipping 500k less than the 360 in a comparable period (and this is with the 360 being supply constrained).

MS is still tracking ahead of the X1 because of a very front loaded launch, but they're going to fall behind, hard.

borghe

You're citing big percentage increases over pathetic numbers that still leave sales in pathetic territories. And those percentages are falling, as they should. A known commodity such as Mario Kart or Smash Brothers cannot be reasonably expected to impact sales significantly upon release. (A 300% increase in a single week is not significant, mind you. Over the course of a year and certainly a generation, it is entirely immaterial.)
first, the pathetic sales as you put it are immaterial. Something that sold 300% above generated (roughly) 300% more interest than before. I am not comparing that to PS4 r XBONE, just inside of interest in Wii U. So not sure where you are trying to go with that point. my point was that you citing your own expectations going forward on just one week of sales is tenuous at best, AND being entirely dismissive of what I just stated. That despite "pathetic numbers" and "usual drop off" that increased interest is there and apparent. without comparison (or need for comparison) beyond that as we aren't talking about any other systems in this context.

I'm fully aware of how poorly the Wii U is currently selling, and you need to roughly double your numbers for the 360 and PS3.

You are right. My point was just that there is a huge piece of the pie for the type of gamers ms and Sony target. Even if you flip the roles this gen and Sony eats up a greater bulk of them, I think a regression would still leave MS with a lot of consoles to sell, enough to outsell the Wii U worldwide, which might end up at less than 20 million total.

borghe

Yup, if I'm not wrong, the PS4 sold to consumers (for the first quarter) 3 times as many X1s as MS shipped with the X1 shipping 500k less than the 360 in a comparable period (and this is with the 360 being supply constrained).

MS is still tracking ahead of the X1 because of a very front loaded launch, but they're going to fall behind, hard.

at the very least MS will officially be tracking behind in November. Probably "technically" September or October. MS forecasted 10M 360's shipped in its first year in 2006, where there is no way they will (responsibly) ship 10M XBONEs by November.

Smashbros is, you mean.

SSB isn't nearly as big as MK, MK Wii sold 3x as much as Brawl. The people who'll be getting SSB will be mostly people who already have the console. Actually I've fears MK might not give that big of a boost either. In Japan, MK8 sold +300k and WiiU only got bumped to 20k. Amazon has the game charting but not the console.

Top Bottom