• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3: Reggie on Wii U beating Xbox and PlayStation

Seriously, he is a PR head for Nintendo. What do people expect him to say?

No he's not.

He runs the day-to-day operations of Nintendo of America.

On the side he acts as a PR representative.

What's he supposed to say?

This:

If he wanted to avoid looking foolish, he should have stayed silent with a "We have no comment at this time" deflection, or he should have made a non-statement like "We at Nintendo are committed to providing the best experiences for our customers. We welcome our competition and strive to demonstrate the unique value that only the Wii U can provide."

title seems inflamatory, his answer is that they will stay competetive. Seems way more innocuous than the reactions it's getting.

That's what I got from all of this. I'm not sure why people are basing their arguments on the premise that the Wii U will beat the PS4. Console wars insecurities, maybe? *shrug*

impact

Banned
Spin or not, blind optimism or not, he is actually correct, for now. It's startling how fucking shit scared of Nintendo success people are.

Isn't it also actually correct that Wii U is tracking behind Dreamcast sales?

You guys are funny.

wii u aint gonna outsell ps4 or xbone but with xenoblade X, zelda U , mario maker and other titles it will still have some decent sales eventually when the price is cut.

To be honest ps4 + wii u are the best combo this gen.

Smash on Gamecube is over 7 million. The assertion that everyone that wants mk8 and smash already have a wii u is wrong. That's tge point. Hard and anecdotal evidence point to a s ignificant push for wiiu numbers by mk8 and smash should be the same.

Then use the GC numbers, not the inflated Wii ones. I'm not denying that mk8 and smash bros will sell well. Even NSMBu has also sold really well. The effect that will have on console sales outside if a temporary bump is another story. Throwing out the Wii Mario kart 30 million figure as if there are 30 million hardcore mk fans just waiting to buy a Wii u is disingenuous.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Guys, even if it won't happen, you won't see a PR saying: ''Yeah, we're gonna lose that race.''

He did say they're going to lose the race by not saying they would win it. Would you see a PR not saying they're going to win when they think they're going to win? No.

What I would have said is something about "...our pipeline of great games insuring that we'll remain competitive throughout the generation and a great platform of choice for any gamer."

Daschysta

It wont move significant amount of consoles, its on the 3ds as well which is a platform with 6-7 times the userbase.
Plenty will double dip mk7 didn't stop mk8 from buying MK8 in huge numbers. Local multi in smash is gigantic and there is incentive to own both of them.

AZUMIKE

Wii U has some great exclusives coming for it. Just because the Wii U isn't as powerful doesn't mean its gonna get completely left in the dust. Its very well possible that we could see a legit "three-horse race" and not a two-horse race.

VariantX

If he wanted to avoid looking foolish, he should have stayed silent with a "We have no comment at this time" deflection, or he should have made a non-statement like "We at Nintendo are committed to providing the best experiences for our customers. We welcome our competition and strive to demonstrate the unique value that only the Wii U can provide."

Why couldn't he have said this?? Getting caught up in console war BS is the fastest way to have the media zoom in and amplify on all the areas your company comes up short in comparison to the competition.

SykoTech

Not sure what he means by "dirty little secret". Anyone can take a look at sales reports. And if they do, they'll see that the PS4 has been comfortable ahead of the Wii U for at least 2 months now.

Also, he might want to lower his NPD expectations a bit. MK8 will give it a solid boost, but Watch_Dogs says no deal.

WiiU is doing sub-GCN numbers, how would it hope to outsell XB1? I was under the impression that while not PS4-like, XB1 was doing fine. I absolutely want WiiU to succeed but I wouldn't say it's going to outsell XB1 in the long run.
Xbox One's last NPD was dreadful.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Whoa where did that Wii U extrapolation come from lol? No way Wii U has sold that many. Maybe close to 6 million if we're being generous.

last reported numbers were
7M PS4s SOLD (Sony PR)
6.1M Wii Us SHIPPED (Nintendo financials)
5M XBONEs SHIPPED (MS PR)

phanphare

Banned
I don't understand some of the reactions in this thread. he dodged the question completely by stating a fact. he never said that they will outsell either console, only that Nintendo intends to remain competitive.

Dear Reggie, Miyamoto is watching you.
Z7kWJLN.gif

Miyamoto laying down the law. wow.

StoopKid

I don't see how that changes anything. I have a PS4 and still think the Wii U has a better line up. All those these 3rd party games are interchangeable.

Unfortunately, this doesn't always dictate better sales. However, MK8 and Smash are pretty big.

Those third party games are the biggest sellers of the year.

borghe

No he's not.

He runs the day-to-day operations of Nintendo of America.

On the side he acts as a PR representative.

This:

dude... the statement you quoted is what a lawyer says when his client just chopped up his family. Not what an executive of a large electronics manufacturer says when trying to make his product appealing to sell.

Yeah. But then the announcement of the cheaper version of the Xbone with Mario Kart 8 being released for the Wii U might have bumped it past the Xbone for May.
I wonder if Reggie was talking about the NPD that will be released for June (which would cover this month) or the one that will be released on Monday (which would cover May 2014).

If he's talking about June 2014, he might be seeing some great Wii U sales to make a statement like that.

Whoa where did that Wii U extrapolation come from lol? No way Wii U has sold that many. Maybe close to 6 million if we're being generous.

It shipped 6.17 million at the end of last quarter. Being past 6 million sold through is all but guaranteed. If MK has been a miracle worker, then it could have just reached 6.5 million.

Neff

You guys are funny.

We don't know right now.

Some factors of Dreamcast's performance you can attribute to Wii U's, some you can't. Today's games industry is also a very different place to the one it was 15 years ago. Sega's console is never a good comparison for assessing Wii U's future success or lack of.

borghe

Yeah. But then the announcement of the cheaper version of the Xbone with Mario Kart 8 being released for the Wii U might have bumped it past the Xbone for May.
holy crap! I never thought about it, but Wii U could actually beat XBONE in the May NPD. Doesn't mean much long term but still. damn.

wait...what?

the response you quoted said to either say "no comment", which is NEVER acceptable (or even done) by a commercial company.. or "we're not going to answer your question but instead are going to feed you the company mission statement" which again is extremely disrespectful and pretty distancing for a company ultimately trying to sell a product.

edit - ultimately it's exactly like sports.. "why did you lose?" Does anyone ever answer "because we are the worst team in the league!" No it's "we tried some things out there, we had some good plays, but it just wasn't enough to pull the game out" on scores of 27-3. Is it spin? Sure. Is it also good for morale, shows dedication and desire, appreciates the fans/consumers, etc? Again, this isn't the white house trying to shut down a scandal. Ultimately this is a company trying to get you to buy their stuff. It always ends up being about selling that idea.

We don't know right now.

Some factors of Dreamcast's performance you can attribute to Wii U's, some you can't. Today's games industry is also a very different place to the one it was 15 years ago. Sega's console is never a good comparison for assessing Wii U's future success or lack of.

The WiiU has ben out for 18 months and has shipped 6.17 million

The PS4 being out for 5 months has sold 7 million

The XB1 being out for 5 months has shipped 5 million.

The WiiU isn't going to keep up with either of them.

You guys are funny.

We don't know right now.

What? Yes we do...at least in USA and Japanese markets.

Wii U LTD as of April 2014 (NPD USA sales to consumers): 2.35 million

Dreamcast LTD as of April 2001 (NPD USA sales to consumers): 3.29 million

Wii U LTD as of June 8th, 2014 (Famitsu Japanese sales to consumers): 1,782,283

Dreamcast LTD as of June 11th, 2000 (Famitsu Japanese sales to consumers): 1,497,832

Would it have been less funny if he'd have denied it?

What would you have said?

"I couldn't tell you how much the PS4 and XB1 are going to sell, but I'm confident that Wii-U sales will be up for the year off the back of the great upcoming games we have scheduled for release."

Reggie's actually a very competent PR guy, he usually knows the competent PR guy answer.

truth411

Not a fair assessment imo... The Xbox was heavily front loaded, and has not been lighting up the sales charts. The Wii U lineup looks great, and I don't think the Xbox is going catch up to the Wii U in sales till the end of next year at the earliest, a lot can happen in that time.

DrWong

I think the nfc move could play a key role for the future of the console, and not only from a 1rst party prospect.

Neff

This is great, but install base and market share is more relevant financially speaking than performance from launch, and rarely reflects it.

I'm not talking about Wii U 'catching' the other platforms either. I'd be surprised if it did. But thanks to a guy with a beanie avatar doing some spin of his own for the purposes of a Wii U shit thread, it seems like many are.

What? Yes we do...at least in USA and Japanese markets.

Assuming that Mario Kart hasn't changed things considerably, that's fair enough then.

Riposte

It can theoretically be pulled off, but I certainly don't think Nintendo could pull it off. Their approach is extremely limited. The Wii U made too many small, but damning mistakes in its fundamental design (not being able to share game development between 3DS/Wii U for one example), although that's in hindsight.

(Reggie is just keeping up face, so cut him some slack.)

As he's the company COO he needs to be competitive and optimistic
Plus since this industry is unpredictable no body knows what might happen The Wii had failure written all over it yet it became successful. The PS3 was declared the killer of Sony but Sony managed to turn it around.

Top Bottom