• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Access has been so good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orca

Madden going on there already makes some sense. They've probably gotten all the sales they'd get, so adding people to the pool for microtransactions is a smart move - plus get them hooked for next year's version if they haven't played one in a while.

King_Moc

Banned
The vault looks pretty good. Charging for early access is bullshit though. That should just come with a preorder.

Bgamer90

Banned
Early demo's is what you're referring to? If people are fans of those games they would have bought them by now. EA is gonna make millions on games that stopped selling. If you see a value in it fine. I see it as EA Making profit on dead games.

Demos + Cheaper prices for NEW games + cheaper prices for DLC for those NEW games.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Early demo's is what you're referring to? If people are fans of those games they would have bought them by now. EA is gonna make millions on games that stopped selling. If you see a value in it fine. I see it as EA Making profit on dead games.

Basically what it is. I recall a bulk of Onlive's collection being older EA titles.

Still, nothing bad with playing older games. It's not like they suddenly stop becoming fun. Assuming they were fun to begin with, of course.

Total agreement with OP here. It's an incredible service. Calling someone a shill for pointing out how awesome it is is ridiculous.

And Bish... u crazy.

It's cool for "tinkerers" in sports games tho, who don't seriously play an NBA/NFL/FIFA, but for $5/month will fire it up, play for half an hour, and then likely never touch it again. But if they are pulled in, then that's someone who will continue to subscribe to play that one game as opposed to paying $40-$60 for it in the store.

Hell yeah it is. I like sports games, but I'll play each for a total of 5-10 hours. But I got to do the same on NFS Rivals and PvZ too.

Your point is spot on. This service isn't for the core of the core gamer. It's for the people that want to try everything, and maybe play more of something they really like.

sam777

I got Plants vs Zombies Warfare for free on my PS4, no EA Access requirement. Works for me!

One off no, because of the PS anniversary. Personally I don't think it would really affect PS Plus and its good for people to have the option if they want it.

Purest 78

Basically what it is. I recall a bulk of Onlive's collection being older EA titles.

Still, nothing bad with playing older games. It's not like they suddenly stop becoming fun. Assuming they were fun to begin with, of course.

Nothing wrong at all it's smart business, as I said smart business EA's gonna make millions on dead games.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
LIVE 15 is not the train wreck people make it out to be and online actually works unlike the shit show of 2K. Live 14 was indeed awful though
1. Yes, it is. I've played it (and worked on the series back in the day). It is not good.
2. Online - see #1.
3. Agreed.

One off no, because of the PS anniversary. Personally I don't think it would really affect PS Plus and its good for people to have the option if they want it.
Doesn't count because of reasons. OK.

Netprints

I played a lot of BF4 before ea access, I traded my disc copy in for 25 bucks and put it towards EA access for a year. Its already payed off. Great service. I do enjoy playing games early. I saved money by playing the 6 hour trial of dragon age. (wasn't for me)

FZW

It's fine if that's your thing, but I'm glad Sony isn't bothering with it - I much prefer the PSN+ model and EA Access there would throw it out of whack.

4Q8jBVv.gif

well i guess it is your opinion, but as customer of both services I cant say I agree

Doffen

I'm fine with the value it delivers. And I will continue paying for the service as long as EA delivers.

Dunlop

True, but I also think PvZ is the best game in EA Access. I would've subscribed if I hadn't sold my physical copy and bought a digital copy a month prior.

loved it on my PS4

I have had an itchy trigger finger to pick up EA access, just need more game (like NHL 15)

I've had a lot of the library on the PS4 and sadly picked up Madden right before SuperBowl as my kid wanted to play.

Service looks fantastic and I hope it stays viable

Tenebrous

If I had an Xbox One, I'd be all over this service for at least a couple of months. Looks like a very cool setup indeed.

Alchemy

I figure I'm just going to stop playing EA games until EA Access has enough stuff I care about, then I'll sub for a few months to play the backlog.

ElNino

How many EA titles are in GWG?
To be fair Bish, I believe this month was the first month we've ever had a full retail game on GWG for X1 (Rayman Legends) and other than Peggle 2, all of the EA Access vault games are full retail. Also, quite a few of the EA games have been on the weekly Gold sales, so it hasn't stopped anything there.

Even so, outside of the vault games the six (?) hour demo for the full retail games is also a nice benefit.

stuminus3

Well worth the money, especially if you like EA sports games (which I presume everyone does). I personally don't get it but a guy at work explained it to me as something to do with him telling everyone at work how exciting it was and EA would give him money for every high five he got or something.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Buying bf4 dlc costs as much as buying a game and they make more money off madden from people buying points to pump their online teams. Meanwhile the value assumes you're actually playing the multiple games and don't mind the subscription lock in to keep using them.

Anyone happy to just now get madden isnt who ea is selling madden to.. So of course they can add it now, they aren't losing any money.

I'm glad you all enjoy it but even if it was on PS4 I wouldn't buy into it. I'm willing to pay for one online subscription and that's about it. Getting to play Battlefield Hardline a week early would be nice, although that's what demos used to be for.

Well worth the money, especially if you like EA sports games (which I presume everyone does). I personally don't get it but a guy at work explained it to me as something to do with him telling everyone at work how exciting it was and EA would give him money for every high five he got or something.
Interesting

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
To be fair Bish, I believe this month was the first month we've ever had a full retail game on GWG for X1 (Rayman Legends) and other than Peggle 2, all of the EA Access vault games are full retail. Also, quite a few of the EA games have been on the weekly Gold sales, so it hasn't stopped anything there.

Even so, outside of the vault games the six (?) hour demo for the full retail games is also a nice benefit.
Hey, don't get me wrong. I'm glad that people are finding a value proposition in EA Access that works for them. If you play a lot of EA games, especially as time goes on and more titles enter the Vault, and if you don't mind an extra subscription fee on top of what you're already paying for Gold, then more power to you.

I'm not in that camp, however. I pay for Plus and that's it until Halo 5 releases, then I'll pony up for Gold. It doesn't make sense for me to pay yet again for EA games specifically, and Plus is an excellent value that's tied to my primary gaming machine this gen. Having worked very closely with publishers for the last 20 years, I know they're watching how EA Access is working out and looking for ways to apply that business model going forward - and I'm not into paying for multiple subscriptions while the pubs involved remove their titles from Plus.

If you're not looking at the long game, you're not paying attention.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
It's fine if that's your thing, but I'm glad Sony isn't bothering with it - I much prefer the PSN+ model and EA Access there would throw it out of whack.

That's a silly stance to take as a consumer. You're happy with Sony being the only one to provide such a service on the PS4? One company having a monopoly is not a better thing for you. It's a better thing for Sony. If MS thinks EA Access is keeping people from paying for Live then they'll need to improve their service. That's a good thing for us.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I'm glad that people are finding a value proposition in EA Access that works for them. If you play a lot of EA games, especially as time goes on and more titles enter the Vault, and if you don't mind an extra subscription fee on top of what you're already paying for Gold, then more power to you.

I'm not in that camp, however. I pay for Plus and that's it until Halo 5 releases, then I'll pony up for Gold. It doesn't make sense for me to pay yet again for EA games specifically, and Plus is an excellent value that's tied to my primary gaming machine this gen. Having worked very closely with publishers for the last 20 years, I know they're watching how EA Access is working out and looking for ways to apply that business model going forward - and I'm not into paying for multiple subscriptions while the pubs involved remove their titles from Plus.

If all the big publishers offered the same kind of service I would be all for it. EA Access is $30 a year. If Ubi and Activision did the same it would be $90 a year, less than the cost of 2 full priced games and you'd get dozens of games for that price.

Demos + Cheaper prices for NEW games + cheaper prices for DLC for those NEW games.

I really struggle to understand arguments for not even having the *option* to use the service. At the very least, I think it can be said that EA Access is "Not bad."

I've subbed for 2 separate 1 month periods, and feel that I got my money's worth both times. On top of the vault games I've played through; I played DA:I a week early, then saved $6 on my purchase of it, which paid for my sub that month.

I really struggle to understand arguments for not even having the *option* to use the service.
Because I see a future where EA, Activision, Ubisoft, 2K and who knows who else all has separate premium subscription services, and I don't like it. I like to get games from all publishers for one price, which is how PS+IGC operates. The 1 week early access is neat but like I said above, we used to get demos which did that for us for free.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I think it is good in an upfront way but it promotes big publishers to follow. As a result they get more presence on the console. They can also then withhold content from ps+ to eventually undermine its value.

It is smart for EA and adds value for customers but it also dicks over little guys who don't have that kind of buying power.

In a dramatic way, the path to hell is paved in good intentions. However that usually holds true to those wanting to maintain control and have buying power to do so.

Time will tell I suppose. I'll happily eat crow if I am wrong.

Abounder

Banned
It makes rentals and Day 1 purchases look like a ripoff. If they add the upcoming Star Wars game then it's going to be too good to turn down.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
If all the big publishers offered the same kind of service I would be all for it. EA Access is $30 a year. If Ubi and Activision did the same it would be $90 a year, less than the cost of 2 full priced games and you'd get dozens of games for that price.
That's cool, but it's not for my wallet.

ElNino

While I understand your stance, for me the extra subscriptions (PS+ and EA Access) have been to save me money, not add to it.

I've had Gold since the beta, and really have no reason to stop subbing (and GWG makes it even easier).

I bought PS+ for my Vita since it was basically the price of Uncharted on it's own, and I've since ended up with many games through PS+ that I would have otherwise bought. I've also been "buying" the PS+ PS4 games so once I get that (soon) I will have a bunch of games ready to go.

For EA Access, it was less than the price of one game and there were several games I would likely have bought anyways. If/when NHL 15 gets added, it will be even better.

flkraven

Mmmm. I love the smell of astroturf in the morning.

I really wish there were consequences for people that act like this is a witch hunt. Go back to Salem.

I got Plants vs Zombies Warfare for free on my PS4, no EA Access requirement. Works for me!

But if Sony had EA Access you would have received a different game that month in place of PvZ, and right now you would have PvZ + a different game. It doesn't take away the fact that you get a game from PS+, it just basically guarantees it won't be an EA game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom