• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Access has been so good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunlop

Hey, don't get me wrong. I'm glad that people are finding a value proposition in EA Access that works for them. If you play a lot of EA games, especially as time goes on and more titles enter the Vault, and if you don't mind an extra subscription fee on top of what you're already paying for Gold, then more power to you.

I'm not in that camp, however. I pay for Plus and that's it until Halo 5 releases, then I'll pony up for Gold. It doesn't make sense for me to pay yet again for EA games specifically, and Plus is an excellent value that's tied to my primary gaming machine this gen. Having worked very closely with publishers for the last 20 years, I know they're watching how EA Access is working out and looking for ways to apply that business model going forward - and I'm not into paying for multiple subscriptions while the pubs involved remove their titles from Plus.

If you're not looking at the long game, you're not paying attention.

Don't get me wrong this month was great for me with PSN, but historically they have released nothing but indies since the launch of the PS4. How does EA access have any conflict?

It was actually MS that released Rayman Legends this month which is easily the most "mainstream" title released on either system for their respective services

PS4 vs XB1 obviously

If all the big publishers offered the same kind of service I would be all for it. EA Access is $30 a year. If Ubi and Activision did the same it would be $90 a year, less than the cost of 2 full priced games and you'd get dozens of games for that price.

I'm with you on that. Just estimating what I spend annually on games I would save some change.

I got a one month subcription back in October, and I thought it was pretty nice. I got to try out a bunch of games, and I ended up really enjoying a lot of them. I don't know if I'll resubscribe, but I might buy a few of the games eventually.

By the way, EA Access doesn't require Gold...unless you plan to play online. Just saying.

flkraven

I got a one month subcription back in October, and I thought it was pretty nice. I got to try out a bunch of games, and I ended up really enjoying a lot of them. I don't know if I'll resubscribe, but I might buy a few of the games eventually.

By the way, EA Access doesn't require Gold...unless you plan to play online. Just saying.

Great point!

OP isn't exactly unbiased in his opinions. He only owns an Xbox and can't speak about PS+ without every word being complete bullshit.

Glad you like the service brah.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Don't get me wrong this month was great for me with PSN, but historically they have released nothing but indies since the launch of the PS4. How does EA access have any conflict?

It was actually MS that released Rayman Legends this month which is easily the most "mainstream" title released on either system for their respective services

PS4 vs XB1 obviously

Balances out with #IDARB being the most indie of indies offered so far.

I had to download it on my gf's system for her because she just didn't want to do it. The plain aesthetics turned her off from it so much that even with Gold she didn't want to bother downloading it.

Chris1

I still don't think EA access = no GWG. Sure, EA might not put the games on GWG as early as they might have as long as those games are still offering value to EA Access, but once 2015 NFS gets added for example, NFS Rivals won't really be offering much value to EA Access, so EA may aswell make extra revenue off those without EA access by giving it away for free with gold.

I think it's too early to say whether or not EA access equals no EA games free with gold just yet.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Prove it, sis ;)

You're the one implying the connection though!

iwtgY6lH2CoKX.gif

flkraven

OP isn't exactly unbiased in his opinions. He only owns an Xbox and can't speak about PS+ without every word being complete bullshit.

Glad you like the service brah.

Jesus christ, why the hostility? When did I speak about PS+? Heck, when did I even talk about GwG? I am only discussing EA Access, and it's value has nothing to do with console wars.

Ehker

Besides not wanting yet another subscription, the current list doesn't interest me, so I'm not close to tempted to add this to my Xbox One.

On top of that, with half of the titles being sports games it seems you need to be an odd mix of a sports fan who doesn't mind being late to join in to these games late.

I like it, I'm really glad I got madden 15 with it just recently without A. having to use a gamefly slot and B. without having to pay for it specifically (since sports titles are the most disposable of all video games imo)

But i'm also scared because it's success means an Ubi access and an ACcessTivision and THQ warner bros? or whoever next that sees it and wants a piece of it

I really do not want that.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
That's cool, but it's not for my wallet.

Which is fine, but it doesn't mean you should be glad that Sony is making that decision for everyone who only owns a PS4.

CoG

It's fine if that's your thing, but I'm glad Sony isn't bothering with it - I much prefer the PSN+ model and EA Access there would throw it out of whack.

This. Last thing I want is to be paying EA, Ubi, Activsion, etc on top of my PSN+ subs. Sony was criticized for not embracing EA Access but all EA has to do is offer those games on PSN+. MS allowed for a model that is ultimately detrimental to the console space if every publisher decides to offer their own subscription-based vault.

Cipherr

Not surprising to hear for me. It was obvious from the time the pricing was announced that a program like this would be valuable to some gamers. A lot of people let the fact that it was EA turn them off immediately though, plus there was some console wars stuff because its not on both consoles yet. But Im not surprised quite a bunch of people like it.

EA may ruin it, or they may fail to sustain its momentum, but they seem to be doing fine for now; even if Im not personally interested in it.

BigDug13

It's kinda bullshit that Sony denied this service. Especially with their reasoning. "We don't think it's a good value for our consumers." Let ME make that fucking decision Sony.

timlot

Banned
Its been great for me. I've only payed full price for two games, MCC and FH2, the rest are GWG, EA Access, and a few Tuesday GWG deals. 39 games so far.

ddikxela

Do you keep the game as long as you're subscribed like PS+ or do you play whatever is in the vault and once a game leaves the vault you cant access it anymore?

I was thinking of buying a Xbox One later this year so this thing is another option me to add to the Xbox exclusives I want to try,

Honome

This would be in addition to PS Plus if Sony allowed it, though. They're making the decision for you.

No, they're making the decision of not allowing EA Access so other don't follow the same path. So i prefer to pay for ONLY one service of that kind, in stead of EA Access, Ubisoft Vault, CAPCOM money hat etc.

flkraven

Do you keep the game as long as you're subscribed like PS+ or do you play whatever is in the vault and once a game leaves the vault you cant access it anymore?

I was thinking of buying a Xbox One later this year so this thing is another option me to add to the Xbox exclusives I want to try,

According to EA, games will never leave the vault.

Dunlop

Don't feel like paying for both. Which is what this seems to boil down to.

I get that, I still haven't subbed to EA Access yet (but am close).

But Sony making a choice for us is what is not cool with many people especially with the "free" games given so far (this month was good though). Of course they might not have been offered the service in the first place and it was just PR Speak

This. Last thing I want is to be paying EA, Ubi, Activsion, etc on top of my PSN+ subs. Sony was criticized for not embracing EA Access but all EA has to do is offer those games on PSN+. MS allowed for a model that is ultimately detrimental to the console space if every publisher decides to offer their own subscription-based vault.

It's more than just free games, and the games stay in the vault the entire time instead of just for a month. Also, are you saying EA could just put all their games on PS Plus 6 months later? Other publishers and developers are gunning for those spaces as well I'd imagine.

ElNino

Don't feel like paying for both. Which is what this seems to boil down to.
And that's fine Bish, God knows I would rather not pay $11/month sub to the web math game that my son likes to play considering everything else I also sub to.

However, does not wanting to pay for both suggest that you would rather only play PS+ games? Or do you also buy retail when you think they won't come to Plus or want to play day one.

PS4 vs XB1 obviously

PS+ had Injustice: Gods among us for PS4 in December.

Mikey Jr.

I remember saying the same regarding sustainability about PS+ when it first came out.

EA has run the numbers, it must be working out for them

I question the catalogue of games, not the revenue/costs.

At the end of the day, ea is only giving out ea games on Xbone.

What is the release schedule look like for 2015? Ea only has like 3 games left they can release.

Secondly, if anyone thinks this is still going to be 30 bucks in 4 years time, you are naive.

Vlade

It's fine if that's your thing, but I'm glad Sony isn't bothering with it - I much prefer the PSN+ model and EA Access there would throw it out of whack.

I am really glad that Sony declined to partner up with it.

maybe if EA access was an app you could get on your PS4 that lived completely apart from psn store and ps+ space that could be cool.

edit:
also ps3 ps+ has game trials.

Kayant

PS4 vs XB1 obviously

What do you mean by mainstream? Am guessing you mean retail here -

Infamous Last Light
Injustice: God Among Us Ultimate Edition

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
And that's fine Bish, God knows I would rather not pay $11/month sub to the web math game that my son likes to play considering everything else I also sub to.

However, does not wanting to pay for both suggest that you would rather only play PS+ games? Or do you also buy retail when you think they won't come to Plus or want to play day one.
No, that's not the case. I purchase quite a few retail titles whether or not I think they're coming to Plus. As a dev I want to support other devs if their project looks intriguing. As a consumer, I want to reward devs making the kind of games that I want to play. So I buy a lot of games on Day 1.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
One more bullet in the Xbone marketing sheet!

That's a really odd statement but ok, I guess we'll leave it there.

Why not? Why should I support something if it directly and negatively affects me? (i.e., no EA games on PS+IGC)?

Because you should want what's best for the consumer, not what's best for Sony.

I got Plants vs Zombies Warfare for free on my PS4, no EA Access requirement. Works for me!

Or Ps+

I see the Ubis and EA moving in this direction (EA access type programs) with smaller publishers, indies and first parties filling in the GWG and PS+ libraries.

fantomena

I have absolutely no need for EA Access. Im already paying for Gold and PS Plus, no need for more.

PvZ: GW I got for free on PS4, Peggle 2 I bopught for like 3$ when it was on sale on PS4.

Those were the only games I ever needed from the EA access service, I only used about 3$ to not need EA Access.

If people think EA Access is fine and they are subbing, fine with me, but I won't because it's not worth it for me personally.

If having EA Access available on PS4 removes the chance of receiving EA games through PS Plus or any other promo, then I choose not wanting EA Access on PS.

Heigic

I'm not sure I would permanently subscribe to EA Acesss. The real advantage over something like PSN is that you don't need to be subscribed every month to it to get all the games. You can instead just sub for a month and have access to all the games. It seems like a great service to subscribe to for a few months after buying the console.

Chris1

I question the catalogue of games, not the revenue/costs.

At the end of the day, ea is only giving out ea games on Xbone.

What is the release schedule look like for 2015? Ea only has like 3 games left they can release.

Secondly, if anyone thinks this is still going to be 30 bucks in 4 years time, you are naive.

Well they have already given away a battlefield map pack, madden and NBA. The next 6 months I expect we'll see another BF map pack, FIFA, NHL and battlefield hardline somewhere around the 6 month mark too.

Why do you think the price will go up? Most of their games are annual, FIFA, Madden, NBA, NHL 14,15,16 isn't going to be worth squat in 4 years so there is no reason to really increase the price of it. It doesn't add value to the vault any more and likely nobody will be playing those versions of the game or even subscribing for them, the only reason they won't get removed is so they can say "subscribe today and get 100 games instantly on your xbox one!" and make it sound better than it actually is. If the price doesn't go up within the first 2 years of EA access, I don't think it ever will due to the nature of the games EA makes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom