• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA is planning ‘weeks’ of Star Wars Jedi: Survivor patches to fix bugs and performance issues

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Software companies should count their lucky ass stars they got the internet. Sell half baked product to customers and then get them to download patches over the next month. Any gamer playing the game at launch or offline will get the sketchy version until it's nicely patched up. And unless the game company lets you refund the game, games are typically no refunds especially if you bought a disc.

Every other kind of industry, if something doesn't work right you either refund it no problem or the store/supplier has to go through the costs and hassle of repairs. Cars are made best as possible right away because no car maker wants to issue a recall notice for serious stuff or cover repairs week one. Heck, I bet the same mentality applies to whichever companies make $40 toasters. What toaster company wants to get shit loads of refunds back due to the heating element not working right.

A buggy game gets released early because they can issue a patch.

Two totally different mentalities on release day workmanship.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

Well this is also one way to push people to your subscription service because I'll be damned if I pay $70 for this and they're preemptively telling me it's technically a mess.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Following a six-week delay designed to “achieve the level of polish our fans deserve”, the Respawn-developed sequel will be released on April 28.

It's clear they didn't really value their fans, otherwise they would have delayed the release of the game by a couple of months.

It's better to come late but leave a good impression than arrive on time and spit in the hosts' face.

GMCamaro

Oh My God Wow GIF by 9Now

JaksGhost

The reviews should reflect the bad performance and tired of reviewers docking games for performance issues only when they don't like a game
Like how can IGN give it a 9/10 and still put this in their review:
Throughout it all, Survivor is a gorgeous game with beautifully detailed environments and characters… and perhaps as a result, not one of the best performing. My PS5 playthrough saw some fairly gnarly slowdowns from the expected 30 frames per second in 4K Quality Mode, especially when fighting around smoke or fog, which made timing by parries and dodges difficult. Disappointingly, even the 1440p Performance Mode isn’t close to holding a locked 60fps. I also saw a few crashes and bugs that forced me to quit and reload my save to progress (though this was before the day one patch). EA has naturally promised more patches will come with improvements on all platforms, but if history is any guide it might take a little while before it’s completely ironed out.

skneogaf

Do not trust them as dead space remake still has that but if stutter when going between loaded areas from data dumps.

I'll definitely wait for the pc version to be correct.

Cheers EA. What a fabulous look for a single player-only game to be released in an admittedly unfinished state by the publisher such that everyone playing at launch is going to be experiencing an unpolished game for most if not all of their playtime.

Why not, erm, delay the damn game, EA, and release it when it is finished?

Do film studios release movies unfinished? Do music artists release albums unfinished? No, so why do games publishers think it is acceptable for games to be released like that?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Welp I already bought it and streaming tonight. As long as the performance can be brute forced by a 4090 then I'll be ok with this. The bugs worry me though.

Time to get recording...if nothing else maybe I might a hilarious Skyrim-esque glitch to make a youtube short out of.

Last edited:

Nydius

Like how can IGN give it a 9/10 and still put this in their review:
It‘s the utter inconsistency in their reviews that bug me.

They can dedicate a paragraph to how poorly this runs but still give it a 9/10. But after raving about how it’s the most fun, most fresh, Pokemon had been in a while, they write a paragraph about how Scarlet/Violet run like trash and give it a 6/10.

I realize they’re different reviewers but FFS there has to be some level of baseline consistency for reporting/reviewing technical issues if they want their reviews to have credibility.

You know how consoles have a 'launch window'? Video games should have a release date window. So instead of 'Jedi Survivor releases on April 28th' it can be 'Jedi Survivor has a release window of ~April 28th'

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Sad fact, Does anyone remember or heard of the Nintendo Seal of quality? I personally was still a kid then but I can remember it, was started in the 80s.

The Key thing about it though, was that one of the major reasons behind the video game crash was the release of buggy and broken games, which led to Nintendo starting that initiative and was a guarantee that the game has been tested and was in pristine condition.

Kinda sad that 35 years later, we are right back to that, right back at a time when we honestly can't think of games that were released that didn't have to get some sort of patch release to fix bugs or performance.

These things shouldn't be sold at full price, or there should be some sort of rebate offered. Its like going to buy a new pair of shoes but they pack in defective laces, they don't just replace them for you, they give you some sort of in-store credit. That's how important quality and accountability is in every other industry.

I bet if games come in some sort of broken or substandard state these companies have to reimburse you like $5/$10... we will never have issues like these anymore.

Last edited:

Banned
Sad fact, Does anyone remember or heard of the Nintendo Seal of quality? I personally was still a kid then but I can remember it, was started in the 80s.
Nintendo starting that initiative and was a guarantee that the game has been tested and was in pristine condition.

that's not really what the Seal of Quality was. Nintendo's Seal of Quality literally only meant that the game was tested to not break your system (basically that the PCB didn't short anything), and was licensed using official cartridges.

Nintendo did not test third party games for bugs or quality of the games themselves. you could literally release an NES game that has a gamebreaking bug that deletes your save file once you reach the last level, having sound bugs and constant framrdrops to 4fps, and as long as it was licensed and on an official cartridge it would get the Nintendo Seal of Quality.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

that's not really what the Seal of Quality was. Nintendo's Seal of Quality literally only meant that the game was tested to not break your system (basically that the PCB didn't short anything), and was licensed using official cartridges.

Nintendo did not test third party games for bugs or quality of the games themselves. you could literally release an NES game that has a gamebreaking bug that deletes your save file once you reach the last level, having sound bugs and constant framrdrops to 4fps, and as long as it was licensed and on an official cartridge it would get the Nintendo Seal of Quality.
That's not what it was to my understanding... and I found something to back up what I am saying.

Banned
That's not what it was to my understanding... and I found something to back up what I am saying.

I don't see any citations on this site, and from what I heard it literally just meant that it was made by a licensed publisher and on a cart that doesn't short your console

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Gamers gotta stop enabling this shit. They only do what we allow them to. Gave 'em an inch, those whore took 1,000 miles. Really a sad state of gaming.

Thief1987

Oh thank you our kind corporate overlords, don't overwork yourself though, we will wait whatever time is needed

Last edited:
Cannot believe they are tweeting bragging that they will fix a "finished" retail game with patches in the upcoming weeks! What happened to releasing a fucking game complete, fools??? Gaming today fucking sucks sometimes.
Crazy thing is this game was already delayed.

Don’t get the point of releasing a broken game, I just don’t get why you risk screwing up your reputation doing that. Didn’t any of these publishers learn from the cyberpunk 2077 situation.

Neff

Played PS5 version for a few hours. Game looks fantastic, and it's more of the same fun as before, but yeah the performance isn't great. Frequent screen tearing makes its unwelcome return from the dead, and the framerate chugs a lot, in addition to a few weird visual issues here and there. Definitely needs work. I've heard of the game crashing but nothing happened while I was playing.

I'm normally quite forgiving about rough performance at launch, but honestly it's kind of tempting to shelve it until it's sufficiently polished, because I know I'm really going to enjoy this game once it's running at its best, and at the moment it's clearly not.

sertopico

People must stop preordering and buying on the day one.

Back in the days of cartridges you HAD to release a bug free game from start to finish. No excuses. There were no patches post launch. Now, because of we being constantly connected, we allowed these people to release games in such a state that it should be just illegal. Unfortunately there are no rules. I understand, doing VG is getting harder and more expensive, but fuck, just delay it!

Last edited:
Top Bottom