• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA/Maxis Sue Zynga for Copyright Infringement

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Too many people in here who don't understand the difference between games that are inspired by other games, and games that are complete clones of other games.

jman2050

I never, ever want to see developers lose their jobs, but Zynga... I'll make an exception.

The young impassioned developers who were recruited and given an opportunity to display their skills and be compensated for it when they otherwise wouldn't I would be sympathetic towards.

The people who willingly left already lucrative and stable positions to chase the social bubble gravy train I couldn't care less about.

0kwqm.png

So true...

Zomba13

Old? Zynga responded.

It’s also ironic that EA brings this suit shortly after launching SimCity Social which bears an uncanny resemblance to Zynga’s CityVille game. Nonetheless, we plan to defend our rights to the fullest extent possible and intend to win with players.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...s-suing-zynga-for-copyright-infringement.aspx

I dunno about the Zynga game (I don't play them) but to me, from what I've played, Sim City Social looks like what you'd get if you put Sim City on facebook and mixed it with the quest and beg for help stuff from The Sims on facebook.

And yeah, I feel sorry for the Zynga employees, the ones that got stock and couldn't sell until it's worth shit.

And yeah, I feel sorry for the Zynga employees, the ones that got stock and couldn't sell until it's worth shit.

This has been part of working for a startup since the last century. It should be no surprise for folks who accept stock (some in lieu of pay lol) only to watch it drop in value after an IPO. If I feel sorry for Zynga employees, it's that they're likely to lose their jobs, not because they assumed an incredibly common risk (stocks) and lost.

Wiktor

Untitled-4.jpg

And it's hilarious Zynga has a nerve to say SimCity Social ripped off CityVille, when CityVille is just terribly dumbed down SImCity clone.

jman2050

This has been part of working for a startup since the last century. It should be no surprise for folks who accept stock (some in lieu of pay lol) only to watch it drop in value after an IPO. If I feel sorry for Zynga employees, it's that they're likely to lose their jobs, not because they assumed an incredibly common risk (stocks) and lost.

I'll never understand why people willingly accept stock options in lieu of pay. That is not a risk you should be willing to take if you're just trying to make a living.

Untitled-4.jpg

And it's hilarious Zynga has a nerve to say SimCity Social ripped off CityVille, when CityVille is just terribly dumbed down SImCity clone.

I have yet to see Zynga art that isn't a shoddy ripoff of another's work, or traced from celebrity photos/iconic motion picture freeze frames/stock photography/google image search.

I'll never understand why people willingly accept stock options in lieu of pay. That is not a risk you should be willing to take if you're just trying to make a living.

If you're single and have money in the bank, I guess I can see there being a little more incentive to take the risk, but otherwise? Not a chance.

tuffy

This nicely illustrates how calculated the rip-off job was. The handles on appliances are just a little bit different. The phone's a tiny bit larger. The floor's a slightly different color. It's all changed just enough to not be an exact copy, on purpose, so as to make a copyright suit difficult to win.

That's why I'm pessimistic about EA's chances, even as I applaud their effort.

This nicely illustrates how calculated the rip-off job was. The handles on appliances are just a little bit different. The phone's a tiny bit larger. The floor's a slightly different color. It's all changed just enough to not be an exact copy, on purpose, so as to make a copyright suit difficult to win.

Yeah, Zygna knew what they were doing and just tweaked it enought to make the lawsuit difficult. I remember there was a gamasutra article on the same issue concerning clones and ways to avoid getting sued.

wanders

That pic of the letter by the Tiny Tower developers is really upsetting. How are they ganna do that to a small developer.

I see these Zynga dudes all the time at work I wonder if I should say something lol

VariantX

Got a sinking feeling the only thing Zynga will learn here is to not rip off larger companies with resources and just continue to do what they do with small developers.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
That may be a rip-off, even though the chosen screens are at best similar and the original idea could easily be based on Sim Tower - though of course it's really just a blatant copy in reality, after all it's Zynga - but that's far from close enough for legal trouble. At first glance I'd file that under "MoH - CoD - Battlefield"-similarity.

Sim Tower (The Tower) is one of my top five games of all time. I own and have played it on PC, GBA, DS, and iOS.

Tiny Tower made my top ten last year.

The Tower and Tiny Tower have absolutely no presentational or mechanical similarities and are not really even the same genre of game. The theme of building a tower is the same and both feature elevators, although the type of tower, the nature of the elevators, the way you build, the skill elements involved, and everything else are completely different.

Dream Heights is a carbon copy clone of Tiny Tower. This is both true in the finished product and based on exhaustive research of the game's internal files, which use different and even more infringing terms to refer to gameplay mechanics and concepts.

The idea that Tiny Tower copies from The Tower is simply not true if you've played five minutes of either. The idea that Dream Heights is merely similar thematically and NOT a ripoff is similarly a joke if you've played five minutes of both.

I understand the temptation to be skeptical of claims of 1:1 theft, but you look foolish when you protest such a slam dunk.

I would be happy to go point for point on this with anyone who disagrees and cares to actually articulate it.

Tagg9

I really don't see the comparison Zynga is making between Cityville and Sims Social. Cityville is obviously closer to ripping off games like SimCity and Cities XL.

kollapse

Neo Member

This sums up my feelings expressed earlier in the thread, and frankly I agree with Zynga's response: copyright infringement is the copying of an expression of an idea, and not the idea itself. The latter is the realm of patent law, not copyright law. Naturally, without actually seeing the pleadings, it's hard to say if EA is alleging a specific instance of copying of a piece of art in the game (or section of code), but it's hard to imagine a company as large as Zynga (with so much on the line) actually copying an expression of EA's work.

0kwqm.png

So true...

That's a bingo.

Indeed, it's more like Zynga finally made the mistake of messing with the wrong company. Small indie devs? They can't afford to sue. Big corporations? They got a legal team on-hand and the motivation to see it to the end, until either they win or they stretch it out long enough to bleed Zynga dry.

It's alright, EA doesn't need to play to win.

They just need to play until Zynga loses shitload of money. That's how this usually works.

bumpkin

I really don't see the comparison Zynga is making between Cityville and Sims Social. Cityville is obviously closer to ripping off games like SimCity and Cities XL.
It's ironic that they would be trying to say that Sims Social copied features of Cityville when, as you pointed out, Cityville is very similar to Sim City. They're claiming that EA ripped off their ripoff to defend the ripoff that they're being sued over.

Plagiarism inception.

kevm3

Companies like Zynga are bad for the industry, especially for smaller developers and innovation, when they copy over innovative titles by small developers and cannibalize those profits. I can't say I'm sorry to hear about them getting sued.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Also, can't EA use the "well we have the stuff used in The Ville in our older games for years" argument?

Ardenyal

Some of the screenshots in the complaint are pretty crazy.
Check the picture about 'personalities' in page 16

Also lol at the bit about skin tones. They just used a color dropper to get exact same RGB values for skin tones.

The skin tones in both games have a corresponding RGB (red-green-blue) value,which is represented visually and numerically. RGB values range from 0 to 255, resulting inmore than 16 million different color combinations. As demonstrated in the chart below, The Ville uses the same precise RGB values for its skin tones as does
The Sims Social. There is aninfinitesimally small chance that the use of the same RGB values for skin tone in The Ville as TheSims Social is mere coincidence.

Veezy

que?
Ya know, for all the shit they do, it's good in some ways that EA exists the way it does now, simply because it's a fucking pit bull legally.

I hate some of their practices, but just like the EDGE fiasco, this makes me happy they have a big bankroll.

Top Bottom