• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early reactions to Alien: Covenant are in

Seeing how this is supposed to be way more horror than Prometheus was, there's no way people aren't doing dumb shit in this one. Dumb shit is a requirement of the genre.

.JayZii

Banned
Covenant is apparently much scarier than Prometheus, and feels like a traditional Alien movie.

I don't even know what that means, the Alien franchise is all over the map. I guess that means more like the first one.

Slythe

As long as the crew is more likable than Prometheus and it's not a beat-for-beat retread of Alien I will probably be pleased. I'm cool with paying homage, but please take us somewhere different than crew getting eliminated one by one before the protag narrowly escapes. That prologue got me excited for something more.

Cuburt

After seeing the trailer before GotG 2, my impression is that while it has a lot more elements that will make it similar to the original films, it has much more in common with Prometheus. It looks like Prometheus with actual aliens.

I liked Prometheus but I think hopes that this will be an old Alien film rather than an Alien film that "fixes what Prometheus got wrong" will leave people disappointed.

I saw the Adam Savage behind the scenes stuff and have a question that bothered me.
Why are they using modern weapons in the distant future?

I didn't think Prometheus was a great movie, but it wasn't as bad as the internet hate made it out to be. It was just enjoyable. I'm looking forward to this.

Monocle

I'm ready for this, the Citizen Kane of Alien films. Let's go!

(not a spoiler)
I loved Prometheus so I'll definitely love Covenant if it's better. Cool sci-fi imagery and creepy alien stuff is all I need, really.

Does it need to?

Can't being a kick ass movie of it's own right be enough?
If it has the same problems of Prometheus it'll be a movie with amazingly shitty writing whose only saving grace is the visuals and Fassbender. But even the visuals don't look as interesting as Prometheus.

Monocle

If it has the same problems of Prometheus it'll be a movie with amazingly shitty writing whose only saving grace is the visuals and Fassbender. But even the visuals don't look as interesting as Prometheus.
I don't know, the
Engineer city
looks like it could be pretty awesome.

And I do love the eeriness of a planet with no sounds of animal life.

Seeing how this is supposed to be way more horror than Prometheus was, there's no way people aren't doing dumb shit in this one. Dumb shit is a requirement of the genre.
I mean there are some horror movies where the protagonists are pretty competent but even still, Prometheus was on a special level. The fucking map guy got lost while he had a digital map iirc as just one of the examples.

At least for this if they do minor dumb shit it can be excused because they don't seem to be trained as well.

Like Alien had some dumb characters but they were also space truckers so it was kind of excusable and Ripley was still really smart and competent.

liquidtmd

Banned
Prometheus I remember visually very well. It's a gorgeous movie. But to reiterate something I've said in another thread, it's the characters that were a big problem.

Outside of Shaw and David, couldn't tell you another name of a character. Equally, I remember some of what they 'did', but couldn't really tell you much about them as people.

Lambert. Ripley Hicks. Ash. Kane. Dallas. Brett. Vasquez. Apone. Even many of the guys from Alien3. They felt like people. I gave a shit.

The geologist who had to shout 'I LIKE ROCKS'? Nope. Nope. Nope. Making characters that felt lived in distinguished the original Alien films from just your standard horror 'pick 'em off one by one' films.

That doesn't seem to be Ridley's priority

So is this Alien 1 all over again?

More than the "rogue one" comparison I think it's more an Ep. 7 "let's explain the same story another time".

If early reactions could be taken seriously, Thor: Dark World and Batman V Superman would be considered to be among some of the greatest movies of all time.

I'll wait for the official reviews.

It depends on who these early reactions are coming from. Critics? Those I feel are safe to trust. General audiences, or even worse, fanboys? You're absolutely correct. These seem to mostly be the latter.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
What the hell is a "traditional Alien movie"? Alien and Aliens are nothing alike, Alien 3 was a garbage fire of studio interference and regurgitated ideas from the first film, Resurrection was a misfire of astonishing proportions, and everything involving the franchise after that is best left unmentioned. Do they just mean it's like the first movie? Is that good? Is it as good as the first?
No.
Does this provide any compelling reason for why would I want to go see Covenant in a theater instead of just watching Alien again?

Fury451

Banned
I was told suicide squad was good because of preliminary reviews too. I'm sure this is A good movie in a filmmaking standpoint, if not quite visually outstanding because so was Prometheus, but there's no way that the story doesn't wind up being dumb as hell. People did the stupidest shit in Prometheus.

FoneBone

Are there any reactions from film critics yet? The fanboy types who are the first to tweet aren't a very good barometer.

"Messy" as in black goo in caves and then black goo in everybody's drinks and infecting people's eyes "messy" or "messy" as in slimy facehuggers planting its seed into people "messy"?

The only aliens movie I've seen is Prometheus and I didn't even realise it was an aliens movie to begin with. I can't remember any of it now but I think I liked it so maybe I'll watch this as well. Do I need any previous knowledge of the series thigh because I can't be bothered watching old movies for that.

Dabanton

Was this shot in 3D? I loved the 3D in Prometheus.

The 3D was the only good thing about that movie it was amazing. Probably for me only second to Avatar in terms of making the 3D feel 'solid'.

Shame everything else was so incredibly disappointing. I'll be seeing Covenant but I'm really not expecting a good movie.

Dabanton

The only aliens movie I've seen is Prometheus and I didn't even realise it was an aliens movie to begin with. I can't remember any of it now but I think I liked it so maybe I'll watch this as well. Do I need any previous knowledge of the series thigh because I can't be bothered watching old movies for that.

Probably but not essential. But...do yourself a favor and watch Alien and Aliens two superb movies. Alien3 is OK anything after that tread carefully.

One of these tweets is the guy who directed Kong: Skull Island.

Which was fucking dumb as rocks and boring as shit.

And even he didn't actually say the movie was good. Just that he hopes he's making movies like Ridley at age 79 or whatever.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
If you ever hear that critics are lukewarm but fans are loving it, you know it's gonna be garbage. Fans love everything. If you give them early tickets and some swag, they'll be over the moon about anything on the screen. Critics see stuff early all the time, it's nothing to them. The fans eventually come back to Earth when the movie actually comes out and everyone else is like "wtf is this garbage?" This happens with every mediocre comic movie. Every. Single. Time.

Oh, but now you do have the added "I don't trust critics" sentiment afterwards.

Monocle

Alien and Aliens are fantastic and hold up really well. Some "old movies" are still great.

Alien and Aliens are both exponentially better films than Prometheus. Better looking sets and aliens as well.

I don't have super high hopes.

I enjoyed Prometheus a ton, despite its flaws, because it at least felt distanced enough from a typical Alien film. This one is gonna feel closer to home with Alien 1-3, and with that comes certain expectations (at least for myself). The footage they showed on Alien Day left a bad taste in my mouth.

Yet, despite all that, I'm still looking forward to seeing it day 1.

TheContact

I'm one of the few who liked Prometheus despite its plot holes. Covenant is seemingly turning out well I can't wait to sss it

Mauddib

Banned
I fucking loved Prometheus the first time I watched it. It's just one of those movies that falls apart once you begin to critically think about it but is a fantastic experience the first time you watch it. Kind of like most of Nolan's films.

If it's anything like Prometheus, I'll really enjoy it.

Rockk

If you don't know how to expand your mythology, universe, plot, etc. Just remake the first movie in the series!

Some franchises just don't have it in them to continue being franchises.

If we're talking recent Ridley Scott movies there's always The Counselor level of disaster.

Blasphemy! The Counselor is fucking awesome and one of the most dread inducing films I've ever seen. The characters are all fucked(except the one doing the fucking) from the very beginning and they don't even realize it.

Top Bottom