• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early reactions to Alien: Covenant are in

samar11

This is actually reviewing pretty nicely on rotten and metacritic, a few mates of mine also watched it and thought it was great. I am watching it this sat. Not sure what the hate is all about :/

Just watched it, did not like it. Prometheus was better than this imo.
The plot feels off and doesn't make much sense.

Totally agree. I liked Prometheus far more. At least with Prometheus it felt like there was a "point" to the things that were happening; there was a sense of discovery to it.

This felt completely pointless. It was also dull and visually inferior to the former.

Cappa

Banned
I thought it was boring and incredibly predictable. It's not a terrible movie but it's way to timid for being an alien movie

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
These critics are either on the take or went into the film expecting Prometheus instead of Alien/s. There's literally no tension outside the first bit of film. Shame.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I thought it was boring and incredibly predictable. It's not a terrible movie but it's way to timid for being an alien movie

This is what I always say when people ask me how it was... I can't say that I didn't enjoy it, but so much just makes me scratch my head.

I'd have the same consensus. I don't know what other way to describe it other than "meh". Retraces a lot of the same beats as Prometheus and doesn't really fix any of the problems I had with that movie.

Not only that but the action parts are poorly lit and shot. Very confusing to see what's even happening half the time

FaintDeftone

Got my ticket for tonight at 7:45pm. As someone who really enjoyed Prometheus (goofiness aside), I'm super excited. This is one of my most anticipated of the year.

Lore Expert has spoken. We could have had Power Rangers in there and it would have still been an Alien flick.

I mean, if Ridley Scott wanted to shoehorn the origin of megazords into whatever it is he's doing here, then yeah.

But just because a movie is bad doesn't mean the movie isn't still a movie.

It just means its a bad movie.

It's such a weird argument. "It's not an Alien movie!"

Of course it is. They all are. Some of 'em are just way better than the others.

Not if you had only watched the trailer.

I have only watched the trailers. I see a film that looks to be a continuation of what Scott was doing with Prometheus, but with more on screen death and more action.

Why would you'd expect this to be more like a film made 40 years ago, and less like a film made 5 years ago?

Magwik

Banned
Critics get to see a pretty good horror movie in a sea of crap and also a good Alien movie. Internet Alien fans are probably expecting way too much from it and hence the disappointment. Worst case scenario it's still the 3rd best Alien movie.

Rktk

Well I saw it last night, I always find it hard to describe exactly what I thought of a film after just seeing it but overall it was pretty thrilling and had it's horrifying moments. I think I will see it again.

It's such a weird argument. "It's not an Alien movie!"

Of course it is. They all are. Some of 'em are just way better than the others.

It's certainly an Alien movie however Cameron gave an explanation as to where the eggs come from, Scott seemed only to care about his original film and backdating origin explanations which for me weren't entirely satisfying. So it's an Alien film but Scott made Prometheus and Covenant as if Aliens existed in an alternate universe.

Yup. It's one of my more morbid curiosities regarding the future films and the fandom's response if Scott follows through on what he appears to have set up here.

Toa TAK

Banned
Alien to the third power was a big ball of meh. Such a huge drop from the second film. However, did like the funeral scene juxtaposed with the birth of the dragon.

Ripley's story should've ended at Aliens.

Sanjuro

I guess it depends on whether you found things to enjoy/appreciate in Alien3

(which this movie is slightly better than)
(Which is better than Prometheus)
(dumber, but better)

I enjoyed Alien 3 enough.

I'd probably go, Alien > Aliens > Alien 3 > Prometheus > Alien: Resurrection

Seeing this tonight, looking forward to it! Actually watched Prometheus for the first time last night and I thought it fine so I figure I'll probably like this one too.

daviyoung

Banned
You know Hellraiser? How the first was a tight, solid, highly competent and contained movie. Then they made the second one a true sequel, more horror, more gore, more monsters. Then they made a third and it was some elaborate, ridiculous joke. And then they eventually got to a point where they'd get a random unrelated script that could be about a detective battling inner demons, or about a computer whizz that kills people inside an MMO, but they'd put Pinhead in it and rebrand it a Hellraiser movie. Well that's what's happened with this franchise. It hit its ridiculous but logical conclusion at Resurrection and then Ridley made a couple of random movies about man and God that happen to have Pinhead, I mean Xenomorophs, in them.

Munter

Saw this on Tuesday. Did not enjoy it as much as I hoped I would. It just felt...off. A little bland and pointless as people have said.

Rktk

Yup. It's one of my more morbid curiosities regarding the future films and the fandom's response if Scott follows through on what he appears to have set up here.

Some credit is due I suppose for not making a straightforward monster movie but one of the effects of going into the origins are holes, too much exposition and plenty of moments that makes no sense. While avoiding all conversations on Covenant prior to seeing it there was one review titled The Davinci Code in Space and I can see where that came from now.

I don't really have an issue with a departure from Aliens, but I think there is a good chance when Scott connects the dots to his first film we're left with prequels that only detract from a masterpiece.

This also makes me worried about Blade Runner, I hope they have a better script.

[edit] I say all this, again I enjoyed Covenant and will watch it again.

RT is now at 77% and 91% among top critics... hahah

Weird. I always go to Top Critics to check how much it drops, not how much it rises. That's a significant jump.

Anyway, with people saying that this is both very much a sequel to Prometheus but with more Alien and being at least better than Alien 3, I'm feeling pretty optimistic.
That sounds just about like the best case scenario that we could reasonably hope for from Ridley today.

I don't know when I'll find the time for this one, hopefully I can squeeze it in on Saturday.

With the way this film plays out, I can see what theme may prevail the next entry that will allow it to tie into Cameron's entry.

Personally, most of what I hear is solid concepts with mediocre to poor execution, making it into a enjoyable film on a by-the-numbers level. In that regard, it makes me a bit more comfortable with the decision to ride this series out to it's bitter end.

Some credit is due I suppose for not making a straightforward monster movie but one of the effects of going into the origins are holes, too much exposition and plenty of moments that makes no sense. While avoiding all conversations on Covenant prior to seeing it there was one review titled The Davinci Code in Space and I can see where that came from now.

I don't really have an issue with a departure from Aliens, but I think there is a good chance when Scott connects the dots to his first film we're left with prequels that only detract from a masterpiece.

This also makes me worried about Blade Runner, I hope they have a better script.

[edit] I say all this, again I enjoyed Covenant and will watch it again.

None of the people involved with this film, including Ridley Scott, are making Blade Runner 2049.

Top Bottom