• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthbound Beginnings (Mother 1 on Virtual Console) announced, out today

amnesiac

Though this news is great, I'm kinda bummed they didn't just release the trilogy as a physical release. Fans have waited so long for this, and all they get is a digital version on a console that will be gone in under two years.

dcx4610

Is this one of those games for hardcore fans only? Or can it hold it's own against the otehr 2 games?

I'd say play Earthbound/Mother 2 first. The first game feels more like a prototype Earthbound with a lot of the same ideas and gameplay style.

If you like Earthbound, play the first. It' a bit more obtuse and grindy but still entertaining and worth playing.

7threst

I love that Nintendo actually did this. The first one no less. Everything goes now. And Nintendo + everything goes + E3 = who the fuck knows.

And I like that a lot.

I'd say play Earthbound/Mother 2 first. The first game feels more like a prototype Earthbound with a lot of the same ideas and gameplay style.

If you like Earthbound, play the first. It' a bit more obtuse and grindy but still entertaining and worth playing.

I love Earthbound. I'll probably give this one a go knowing that I'll burn out quickly and not finish if the grinding is as bad as they say.

Kilvin

This is amazing news,

But for fucks sake Nintendo, would it have been so hard to put it on the 3DS eshop as well? Some of us plebs don't own a Wii U. :(

Mononoke

Banned
Though this news is great, I'm kinda bummed they didn't just release the trilogy as a physical release. Fans have waited so long for this, and all they get is a digital version on a console that will be gone in under two years.

I didn't want to be a downer, but this was my thought as well. Would have died for a physical release on the 3DS, like a trilogy package.

That said, it's still awesome. And maybe with Nintendos push to get their platform unified moving forward, this won't be an issue going from the Wii U to the next platforms.

amnesiac

But what if they announce Mother 4 for WiiU, releasing this holiday season on Tuesday as well?

KFk3Syk.gif

L Thammy

Yeah, as other people have warned, this game's grindy as hell. Itoi got disinterested towards the end and the game gets ridiculous. It's also one of those early NES JRPGs that doesn't give you a lot of direction, and the middle part of the game doesn't even have a lot of people to talk to, just exploration. It doesn't have the level of detail or streamlined gameplay mechanics of the other two Mother games either.

Still, it's got a few of the things that make the games distinctive. Most notably, it's got the huge world with no overworld. It's got the setting. It's got the focus on emotional moments and varied situations.

Terrell

Well this certainly came out of fucking nowhere.

I'll play it, for sure, since it's a part of a series I love, and it means we can be genuinely hopeful for a Mother 3 release, as well.

Shigesato Itoi is such a cool guy, I wish that he wanted to keep making more of these games.

Great news. I downloaded the fan-translated version on the PC a long time ago but never played it. It's nice to have an official version of the game to play. I've never played any of the games from the series before and wanted to do it in order.

Will buy, gaadamn. Not port begging or anything, but is there a particular reason why we don't really see SNES/GBA games much on 3DS VC?

Nintendo doesn't like assembly programming anymore, so their emulators are slow. GBA can be done by screwing with DS mode, but then it has no clean savestates, so it's just or ambassadors.

Kangi

Seems natural they'd try releasing Mother 1 first; they already had a localization of it they just never used.

Also, yay.

Cbajd5

Wonder what the official name for Mother 3 will be.

Earthbound 2?
I think they'd keep Mother 3, and maybe add a subtitle to make the Earthbound connection clear. Lucas has been pretty prominent in Smash, and the game's always reffered to as Mother 3 there.

Unless Microsoft announces a BK and Battletoads, Nintendo has won E3.
That's a pretty sad state of affairs when the best thing that can be announced at E3 is the localization of a 25 year old game.
Don't get me wrong, I love that this is getting released, but come on.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Are y'all serious ? This game is REALLY rough and did not age as well as Earthbound. I think this is a really unenjoyable for any modern gamer who enjoys JRPG.

Hopefully they go ahead with Mother 3. This game is no good...

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder if this version will have the sprinting and any balancing changed, because the original game is fucked in that regard.

Love the series and it's an interesting thing as a museum piece but it is not a fun game (IMO). Only reason to play it is to see the last two hours, but you can just youtube that or read the wiki.

Top Bottom