• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthbound Beginnings (Mother 1 on Virtual Console) announced, out today

Hugstable

Banned
Yup. Still cool to see how it influenced the classic that is Mother 2, but it's a mediocre game in its own right. Too much necessary grinding and a fucked up difficulty curve.

I like the somber tone of Mother 1 in contrast to the upbeat tone of Mother 2, though.

I agree, but if this road leads to Mother 3, i'm all for it ha

I don't understand it either. Even as the massive Mother/Earthbound fanboy that I am, I really don't understand the claims of "Megaton". I guess people are truly starving for pretty much anything these days.....
It's a "lost game" that was never sold outside Japan, that only pirates have had access to in English, that is now actually officially being released for the first time outside of Japan. It's an event nobody ever thought would happen, until now it seemed Nintendo didn't really value the series.

Yeah, Mother 1 and Star Fox 2's situations were almost identical.

Pretty much, only real difference is that only Mother 1's localization was unreleased. Game still came out in Japan. Star fox 2 wasn't released at all, unfortunately.

Honestly though I don't think 1995 would have been too late for a SNES game. I mean you had classics like DKC2 and Yoshi's Island coming out that year.

Even hardcore fans will have trouble finishing it. EarthBound is my second favorite game of all time and I certainly can't be pained to get through Mother 1's ultimate tedium.

Yikes. I appreciate your honesty.

What makes it tedious? Too much grinding? Lack of character/story? Difficulty?

Nanashrew

Banned
I'm still on an emotional high from the announcement. I was misty eyed. I have never ever got that from a game announcement before.

An official English release for a game with a super hardcore following that we thought would never happen, and some people are questioning why it's exciting? ?_?

Yeah I'm baffled too. I could see it being not as big for some people. But you'd think someone could at least appreciate more people are able to experience the game officially.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Oh wow!

Just after I got a flashcart to play Zero on a real NES

Oh well... I'll buy it

Baroni9

Honestly I have more a feeling of relief than excitement. Like a nagging feeling is gone, assuming this means Mother 3 is coming as well.

Fou-Lu

Even hardcore fans will have trouble finishing it. EarthBound is my second favorite game of all time and I certainly can't be pained to get through Mother 1's ultimate tedium.

I never found it tedious, but I have very high tolerance for grind and JRPG difficulty.

This game isn't that good, why is everyone freaking out?

Mother 3, on the other hand, would be nice.

It's the precedent being set. That Nintendo would finally release the english version of a game whose domestic release was canned 25 years ago in a series that's been woefully neglected outside of Japan for at least 20 of those years shows that they might actually have interest in making Mother 3 available outside of Japan.

I think this beats Monster World IV's record of the longest wait between regions for a localization, come to think of it.

I am a part of the Mother fanbase. I own the japanese version of Mother and have played the translation several times.

If this announcement was about Mother 4 I would be losing my shit right now. But this is literally Mother, a Famicom game with an official translation.

Can't speak for others, but part of my excitement is fueled by the fact Nintendo has acknowledged the existence of Mother a lot in the past two years.

And think about it, Lucas in Brawl, Mother NES on VC, Itoi delivering a heart-felt message himself. It's Mother-overload!

And the possibility of Mother-fucking 3... *passes out*

CHflt2aUMAA7Hut.png

I'm excited to have an official US release. I could only wish that it had the easy ring. Made the grind a lot more palatable.

L Thammy

An official English release for a game with a super hardcore following that we thought would never happen, and some people are questioning why it's exciting? ?_?

Yeah, I don't get that either. I mean, yeah, it's not new, but it's hardly something usual.

entremet

I have a feeling this will be rebalanced for modern players.

It's way too grindy for today's gamers.

So how many fire flowers will Reggie have to pull out this year if they don't announce a Mother 3 localisation in their presentation?

v9SCd0y.png

Top Bottom