• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthbound Beginnings (Mother 1 on Virtual Console) announced, out today

Rocky

Banned
I don't think some people realize how big and important this is for Mother fans. Something like this would have been unheard of from NoA just a few years ago.

This right here. I bought Earthbound VC a while ago but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Gonna buy Beginnings tonight and start with that and then hopefully we will hear about Mother 3 on Tues. Then I can play all 3 in order. Hell yes!!

Will be curious how this translation compares to the fan translation that's been around for YEARS.
That wasn't a fan translation, it was official. A development cartridge was found at a garage sale with the fully translated game on it, and that got ripped (and a couple bugs fixed).

Pretty interesting that it paves the way for Star Fox 2 as well. Nothing is off limits now.

And then everyone remembered Star Fox Wii-U is set to release relatively soonish. Suddenly an opportunity presents itself...

Star Fox 2, Wolf Smash DLC, and Star fox Wii-U all released on the same day in September! Maybe. Perhaps. This is unconfirmed.

Kriken

I don't understand it either. Even as the massive Mother/Earthbound fanboy that I am, I really don't understand the claims of "Megaton". I guess people are truly starving for pretty much anything these days.....

It was never released outside of japan officially, this is a great game and it's closer to bringing Mother 3 over

I think Mother 3 remake is likely, think about it, Nintendo has never translated it. There is no way NoA would use Mato's translation, as fantastic as it is.

It being called "EarthBound Beginnings" also hints that Nintendo plans on bringing Mother 3 to the rest of the world, at least that's what I think.

Maybe it isn't a full on remake, but Mother 3 is definitely coming. I can just FEEL it.

Porcile

And then everyone remembered Star Fox Wii-U is set to release relatively soonish. Suddenly an opportunity presents itself...

Star Fox 2, Wolf Smash DLC, and Star fox Wii-U all released on the same day in September! Maybe. Perhaps. This is unconfirmed.

Yeah, Mother 1 and Star Fox 2's situations were almost identical.

antitrop

I feel like people are going to be less excited when they actually play MOTHER 1.

Yup. Still cool to see how it influenced the classic that is Mother 2, but it's a mediocre game in its own right. Too much necessary grinding and a fucked up difficulty curve.

I like the somber tone of Mother 1 in contrast to the upbeat tone of Mother 2, though.

amnesiac

Just release Mother 3 so Wii U can be the ultimate Mother console.

Wish it was a physical edition and on the 3DS but whatever, I'll take what I can get.

Oregano

Wow, this is a really big franservice move right here.

Nintendo is really trying to keep their core fanbase sweet. Definitely not complaining.

An official English release for a game with a super hardcore following that we thought would never happen, and some people are questioning why it's exciting? ?_?

Ishida

Banned
Eh... then you don't know the Nintendo fan base as much as Nintendo does... ;)

I am a part of the Mother fanbase. I own the japanese version of Mother and have played the translation several times.

If this announcement was about Mother 4 I would be losing my shit right now. But this is literally Mother, a Famicom game with an official translation.

antitrop

Is this one of those games for hardcore fans only? Or can it hold it's own against the otehr 2 games?

Even hardcore fans will have trouble finishing it. EarthBound is my second favorite game of all time and I certainly can't be pained to get through Mother 1's ultimate tedium.

Top Bottom