• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

East Bay jogger kills 15-pound pug with a kick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
He's an asshole because his human instincts kicked in? I'm sure he looks in hindsight and thinks it was the wrong thing to do, but when it actually happens no one has the time to stop and think.

I'm sure his fight or flight was in overdrive as the ravenous Pug dog bore down on him.

3phemeral

If you feel threatened by a tiny dog then you've got issues.
So, I'm asking again: He was bitten before by a small dog (which means he obviously assumed it was not dangerous), which means that experienced changed his mind - should he let another dog bite him again?

Shiggy

If the dog is bothering you, get mad at the owner.

Oh my fucking god dude. Are you the king of the worst examples on this forum? I'm not even going to respond properly to this if you can't see why that's ridiculous to compare.

It's not like you respond properly or with reasonable ideas to anyone in this thread. At least you don't call me "fucking asshole" like that other guy, I give you that as a positive.

You simply don't seem to realise that most people don't want to get hurt and try to avoid it. Be it a small man with a knife or a dog.

Seventy70

If you feel threatened by a tiny dog then you've got issues.

That's like saying, "If you get scared at horror movies, you've got issues." or "If you get scared at spiders, you've got issues."

Please. And we don't no how much time the jogger had to react when he saw the dog. For all we know he saw something running at his feet in his peripheral vision and kicked by instinct.
I'm sure his fight or flight was in overdrive as the ravenous Pug dog bore down on him.
If I sneak up behind you and throw a toy spider on top of you, you aren't going to swat it away? Then afterwards I could say, "You're fight or flight instinct was in overdrive over a ravenous toy spider?"

That's not how fight or flight works. It doesn't give you time to think what breed or what is this.

Nafai1123

Banned
Depends on where it's coming from and how fit you are. Also, if you feel threatened, your brain is in danger mode and all you can think of is how to avoid getting hurt. Probably never been chased by a dog and felt in danger?

Well considering he's a jogger, I would assume he can run faster than the 3-5mph top speed of a Pug. And yes, I have been chased by a dog before and felt threatened. I ran away.

Wazzy

Banned
That's like saying, "If you get scared at horror movies, you've got issues." or "If you get scared at spiders, you've got issues."

Please. And we don't no how much time the jogger had to react when he saw the dog. For all we know he saw something running at his feet in his peripheral vision and kicked by instinct.

If I sneak up behind you and throw a toy spider on top of you, you aren't going to swat it away? Then afterwards I could say, "You're fight or flight instinct was in overdrive over a ravenous toy spider."
He said he saw the dog charging at him.
So, I'm asking again: He was bitten before by a small dog (which means he obviously assumed it was not dangerous), which means that experienced changed his mind - should he let another dog bite him again?

When it's a tiny dog? Yes, wait to see what it does. If it bites you, report the owner. You're not going to die because of this tiny dog.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

If I sneak up behind you and throw a toy spider on top of you, you aren't going to swat it away? Then afterwards I could say, "You're fight or flight instinct was in overdrive over a ravenous toy spider?"

Interesting, so if you're walking in the street, looking forward and stop, look to your left and suddenly notice a person who is walking faster than you is walking past and you're startled. You'd "instinctively" punch or kick that person? Because you know, instincts.

When it's a tiny dog? Yes, wait to see what it does. If it bites you, report the owner. You're not going to die because of this tiny dog.

Holy shit dog people are insane.

You are actually advocating to let the dog bite you if needed. "Wait to see what happens" my ass.

Leash your dog. Problem fucking solved.

"Why wasn't the dog on a leash?"

"Maybe because it's a pug."

Actual sentence you typed, verbatim.

I know that. Look - this is the contents of post 581.

Originally Posted by BobbyRoberts

probably because it's a pug.

although honestly, considering how fucking dumb they are in general, how do you not leash your pug if you're out walking it? It's GOING to do something stupid as shit. It's a pug. At least keep it tethered to you to stop it from hurting itself.

And let's not stray from the specifics here and just generalize about "little dogs" - this is specifically about a pug. Not a chihuahua, or a pomeranian, or an italian greyhound, or a scottie or whatever. This was specifically about a jogger spotting a PUG coming at him (likely not at a particularly high rate of speed, either, because PUG) and going out of his way to kick the dog to death.

"it's a pug" isn't a good enough excuse to just have your dogs running around doing whatever they feel like. obviously this guy shouldn't have kicked the thing to death, but it's incredibly irresponsible to just let your dogs run around like that.

So, as we can see, the point you're trying to make in response to my post is already made - in my post. That you just quoted in its entirety. I bolded it for you, specifically to show you. Here it is again.

although honestly, considering how fucking dumb they are in general, how do you not leash your pug if you're out walking it? It's GOING to do something stupid as shit. It's a pug. At least keep it tethered to you to stop it from hurting itself.

Again, curious as to why you even felt the need to respond when I made the same point you just made, before you made it, in the post you just quoted, as a means to try and argue with me about a point we agree on, and then follow that up by pointing out to a completely separate poster that they must not have bothered reading the comment chain.

3phemeral

I'm just going to have to say I completely disagree with your stance that I should let myself be bitten.

Seventy70

Interesting, so if you're walking in the street, looking forward and stop, look to your left and suddenly notice a person who is walking faster than you is walking past and you're startled. You'd "instinctively" punch or kick that person? Because you know, instincts.

That's different because you can see out of the side of your eye that it's clearly a person walking. If it's something small, you obviously know that it's some kind of dog, phobias take into effect and you react within a second.
except she says her dog was returning to her when he booted it
That doesn't matter. The runner might have noticed when it came up close and reacted.
You wrote:

Maybe he didn't see it out of peripheral vision, but the same thing applies if they see it. Especially if they have a phobia.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member

That's not how fight or flight works. It doesn't give you time to think what breed or what is this.

But it sounds like he saw the dog running up.

The guy is just a prick. He kicked the dog cause he was mad it was off the leash and bothering him, he just didn't expect it to die lol.

muu

Yep. She was busy chilling at a school, in an area where she knew that having off-leash dogs was prohibited, and she suddenly had a change of heart and decided to leash her dogs at the exact moment one of them took off running towards a jogger. And it ignored any commands she gave to come back.

It's amazing how many people in this thread are going by her side of the story when you got claims like this where she's clearly trying to cover her ass.

anaron

Holy shit dog people are the insane.

You are actually advocating to let the dog bite you if needed. "Wait to see what happens" my ass.

uh no, she said maybe wait to see if the dog you're dealing with is even aggressive to begin with and if it is, try to restrain it rather than murder.

Yes? If a dog is acting aggressive, call the owner to grab it.

We're talking about tiny dogs people. Your life is not in jeopardy from them.

No.

I am under no obligation to offer up my ankles as a litmus test before I decide to take steps to defend myself.

XAL

The dog is an animal. It has sharp teeth. No matter the size of the dog, people can feel threatened or surprised and defend themselves accordingly.

The owner did not have the dog on leash. Which is against the law. Animals have to be restrained by their owners in public spaces.

It's awful that it happened, but it's not like this guy ran out of his way and punt kicked an on-leash dog.

Again, it sucks that it happened. But it's more the owner's fault that this happened than the guy who kicked the dog.

End of story.

Wazzy

Banned
Holy shit dog people are insane.

Instead of rushing to be violent over a TINY dog charging at you, I'm advocating trying to either avoid the dog or if it shows signs of aggression, getting the owner to take care of it and then getting mad at the owner.

It's not a life or death situation. If it's a big dog? then we have a different story here where I'll completely understand someone reacting defensively.

The guy is just a prick. He kicked the dog cause he was mad it was off the leash and bothering him, he just didn't expect it to die lol.

How about this scenario

Lady taking doofy pugs out for morning walk on a trail, cuts through elementary school. One doofy pug starts running across the yard. She is completely in the wrong for not having her doofy pugs leashed.

Doofy pug runs at jogger, who has just come around a corner and is looking to cut through the same elementary school. Is startled by doofy animal running in its direction. Is mad because animals are not supposed to be unleashed, has been bitten by a little animal before, and kicks at the dog in an attempt to both shoo and vent frustration at being startled by something as stupid as a pug.

Kicks pug in head. Pug falls over dead. Woman who knows she shouldn't have had pug off the leash begins reacting, then overreacting, then spinning. Man who knows he shouldn't have kicked pug in the head calls police, and waits to explain it was off of a leash and scared him and also, he'd been bitten by a small dog before so there was precedent (or something like that)

Again, in this scenario - the question that seems to be hanging EVERYBODY up isn't that the woman had the pugs off the leash, because everyone agrees it's not only illegal, it's unsafe, and in this SPECIFIC case, it's unsafe FOR THE PUGS. The question that has everyone going rounds and throwing 'bows is "Is it justified and fair to kick a pug in the head to get it away from you while you're jogging."

That's the question.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
it also clearly says "not all dogs are dangerous" and that a case would be evaluated based on the individual incident on whether or not the grounds are suitable
That's for a post-bite scenario. Pre-bite, you're well within your rights to assume that an approaching dog isn't friendly. I mean, it's been posted multiple times in this very thread from a pro-dog site.

Assume It’s Aggressive. The first rule is to NEVER assume the dog is friendly. Don’t try to read its signals and definitely do not think it’s friendly because its wagging is tail (see this article for why). IT ALSO DOES NOT MATTER IF YOUR DOG IS FRIENDLY.
Anyone seriously advocating that you let yourself be bitten first and then react simply can't be taken seriously. Dogs are a responsibility, and this owner failed hers.

Do people ever think that there are people who are scared of all kinds of dogs? Before my gf got a dog, she had a "small animal" phobia and was scared of dogs, cats and all small animals.

Seventy70

This lady's dog is dead because she failed to take responsibility. End of story.
and he failed in his responsibility as a human being to not kick an animal that wasn't even aggressively engaging him so hard it died
How are you supposed to know if something is "aggressively engaging"? If you feel a spider crawling on your arm, you don't swat it away because it's not "aggressively engaging"?
You feel the spider and quickly move to brush it off. You don't stop to think, "Is this spider going to harm me?" You are caught off guard and you take action.

anaron

That's for a post-bite scenario. Pre-bite, you're well within your rights to assume that an approaching dog isn't friendly. I mean, it's been posted multiple times in this very thread from a pro-dog site.

Anyone seriously advocating that you let yourself be bitten first and then react simply can't be taken seriously. Dogs are a responsibility, and this owner failed hers.
and he failed in his responsibility as a human being to not kick an animal that wasn't even aggressively engaging him so hard it died

put your dog on a fucking leash like your supposed to and none of this happens. Now maybe she'll remember next time.

I thought there were no witness tho? you should call the cops and give your eyewitness statement

THRILLH0

Banned

This is crap. There's a difference between exercising caution and kicking the shit out of a dog because you assume it's going to attack you.

antonz

put your dog on a fucking leash like your supposed to and none of this happens. Now maybe she'll remember next time.

I thought there were no witness tho? you should call the cops and give your eyewitness statement

You don't need another eye witness to know he kicked the dog so hard it died. He obviously didn't "tap" it. Its a Pug not a football

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children

I tried bish, I really did.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
How about this scenario

Lady taking doofy pugs out for morning walk on a trail, cuts through elementary school. One doofy pug starts running across the yard. She is completely in the wrong for not having her doofy pugs leashed.

Doofy pug runs at jogger, who has just come around a corner and is looking to cut through the same elementary school. Is startled by doofy animal running in its direction. Is mad because animals are not supposed to be unleashed, has been bitten by a little animal before, and kicks at the dog in an attempt to both shoo and vent frustration at being startled by something as stupid as a pug.

Kicks pug in head. Pug falls over dead. Woman who knows she shouldn't have had pug off the leash begins reacting, then overreacting, then spinning. Man who knows he shouldn't have kicked pug in the head calls police, and waits to explain it was off of a leash and scared him and also, he'd been bitten by a small dog before so there was precedent (or something like that)

Again, in this scenario - the question that seems to be hanging EVERYBODY up isn't that the woman had the pugs off the leash, because everyone agrees it's not only illegal, it's unsafe, and in this SPECIFIC case, it's unsafe FOR THE PUGS. The question that has everyone going rounds and throwing 'bows is "Is it justified and fair to kick a pug in the head to get it away from you while you're jogging."

That's the question.
And I think that's pretty much how it went down, I agree. I don't think the owner should be off the hook and I think the jogger probably oversold his side to cover looking like an asshole. I just think it's reasonable to use judgement based on breed and size, I'm kinda surprised so many people don't. If I see a strange Rottweiler or Pit bull or something running up to me then hell yeah its time do play some defense. If I see a Pug or Yorkie or something charging me I'm giggling.

I mean that dude had to deliver some real force to one shot that thing, I'm not really sold on the "I barely hit it." defense

That doesn't appear to be this guy, though.

Yeah. I am just saying, that its not just black and white. Like I said. My gf was totally scared of small animals to the point she breaks out in sweat and I guess would do anything to defend herself.

I am like this with spiders. I break out in Sweat, my heart beats faster and I try to kill it. There is no reason for it besides phobia.

Alucrid

Banned
A small man comes running with a knife pointed at your leg. You still don't act until he's hit it, right? He may just want to play.

Stupid to not understand that dogs aren't all nice and friendly

yeah what if this dog had knives duct taped to its body

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
This lady's dog is dead because she failed to take responsibility. End of story.

Actually, her dog is dead because a guy overreacted to a "charging Pug". A dog can still "charge" on a leash too. Or at least appear to be. Doesn't change the overreaction.

THRILLH0

Banned
I'm more inclined to think it went down as Bobby Roberts described, as opposed to believing either party wholesale.

Your efforts have not gone unnoticed.

You might be right but in that scenario, the jogger is an asshole who killed a dog unjustifiably.

Sydle

I never spoke about owners responsibility. I'm saying that people keep throwing out "leash your dog!" when sometimes dogs can get out of their collars. Not only that but my dog being off leash doesn't give someone the right to kick it.

It's still your problem and now you have to accept that the dog may come into harm because of your negligence.

That's the key. Allowing the dog to be off leash is wrong in this case as a matter of statute, and it helps establish what is called negligence per se if the dog caused any harm/damage. But the pug did not cause any damage.

If someone wants to blame the pug owner, they should call her police department and encourage them them to fine her.

It's negligence just allowing the dog to be off leash, as well as unlawful. She's clearly partially to blame here.

Seventy70

Actually, her dog is dead because a guy overreacted to a "charging Pug". A dog can still "charge" on a leash too. Or at least appear to be. Doesn't change the overreaction.

Why is it so hard to grasp phobias or a fight or flight reaction? If someone is caught off guard like that, they react. It's not his fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom