• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaithsol

Neo Member
There isn't a need for it, fans are just being purposefully obtuse and impatient

I'm personally speaking about the fact that specific Patreon information was disclosed to the concert event attendees first with the announcements being officially shared later for all the other supporters in tomorrow's stream.

If it weren't for mishakoz, we'd basically be none the wiser... and that's a problem.

There's not much to clarify tbh. Movie podcast hosted by Ian and Nintendo-focused show hosted by Damiani. I really have no idea what's going on in this thread, people seem to be upset that the extra goodies they are being gifted are not the exact extra goodies that they had previously imagined and therefore assumed must come into being.

I am not the biggest Nintendo fan these days but I really like the sound of the new show with Damiani as host. He is passionate and I am sure it will be a good watch/listen.

The event itself was one thing, but there shouldn't have been a situation in the first place where things had to be clarified.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's stream for many reasons, but I'd like to see a statement regarding the whole Patreon news being revealed at the concert event as opposed to the anniversary stream and what the additions exactly entail. I doubt it'll ever be confirmed one way or another, but I would also like to know if the attendees were instructed to keep everything disclosed at the event under wraps.

I haven't heard much of anything aside from what mishakoz decided to share, and that's a bit of a problem considering what was covered.

I think that if the Allies wanted the announcements to be done in person and at the event then they should have had a page ready to be uploaded on their site with the new goals and show ideas etc to keep all of us in the loop. Or even a Cup of Jones video ready to go live not long after the event.

More edits: I guess they will set aside a portion of time to address the viewers tomorrow regarding the new shows.

Edit:

Anyway I do look forward to tomorrow's stream. I'll try and watch as much as I can before bedtime.

Servbot24

Banned
I'm personally speaking about the fact that specific Patreon information was disclosed to concert event attendees first with the announcements being officially shared later for all the other supporters in tomorrow's stream.

If it weren't for mishakoz, we'd basically be none the wiser... and that's a problem.

Why is that a problem?

I think that if the Allies wanted the announcements to be done in person and at the event then they should have had a page ready to be uploaded on their site with the new goals and show ideas etc to keep all of us in the loop. Or even a Cup of Jones video ready to go live not long after the event.

This definitely should've been the case. Oh, well. We all know now, all there is to do now is wait for them to talk about it more.

ShadyK54

I'm personally speaking about the fact that specific Patreon information was disclosed to concert event attendees first with the announcements being officially shared later for all the other supporters in tomorrow's stream.

I think that's fine? Nice little bonus bit/info that they get to know ahead of time because they (attendees) took the time out to be there.

No harm done to me, anyway.

Edit: CyanideFuse brings up a great point. Would've helped to somewhat avoid the uproar. (uproar might be too strong of a word, but my point still stands.)

sora87

There's not much to clarify tbh. Movie podcast hosted by Ian and Nintendo-focused show hosted by Damiani. I really have no idea what's going on in this thread, people seem to be upset that the extra goodies they are being gifted are not the exact extra goodies that they had previously imagined and therefore assumed must come into being.

It's just sad they're wasting their time on a soulsborne retro which has been done by many other youtubers before with much bigger souls followings. It's all so fresh and there's no need for it. Much better series they could have picked for a retro.

Anaithsol

Neo Member

I would've settled for an official tweet covering the announcements, but an actual post on the Patreon describing everything would have been far more ideal. Brandon actually teased the new additions in the latest Cup of Jones with the implication that it would be unveiled at the anniversary stream and not the concert event. Looking back at it now, I guess he meant for it to always be an event exclusive with recap coverage featured on the anniversary stream.

Why is that a problem?

It's a problem because it gives off an exclusive/VIP vibe to folks who were able to attend the concert event. Information relevant to all paying supporters shouldn't be given as a timed exclusive to a branch of folks who were capable of meeting limited requirements.

It shouldn't have to matter what a patron provides as monetary support or where he/she is located or can do.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Reposting cause it might have went under in an edit and I'm curious how other people feel about it.

So I'm unsure if my read on this is totally baseless or not but I think it would be wise for EZA to put a paragraph on the main patreon post the one with the announcement video and speaking about how things can change. I mean I think most patrons are aware of that fact but it's also not deniable that people subscribe for specific things like the podcast.

As they commit themselves to more and more stuff, some of which might not work as they imagine or even some where they themselves might lose the passion for and instead want to try to do something else I think it would be a very smart thing to allow them leeway concerning creative freedom as is the spirit of Patreon.
I think an official stance like this prevents people feeling betrayed if certain things might end they love, it maybe also relieves them from feeling like there are 0 outs on things once they announce a show.

Now of course this shouldn't be just a safeguard for them to be all chaotic announcing and cancelling stuff left and right not like they would do that anyway. But it kind of feels like something good to have and I think it can set the right expectations from the get go for new patrons. Maybe it's just me but I think the no official stance on this doesn't sit quite well given if a problem arises that might be related to this, like god forbid someone leaving and pursuing other ventures leaving a content hole.

Maybe they might be fine to sacrifice some flexibility and could frame it in a way where they basically commit for a year on plans and basically warn people that every year shows can end to make room for something else.
Don't know maybe that's just me being crazy :-x

Edit: Also did I misunderstand something I thought the movie podcast was Ian and Huber as main host? Basically mirroring Ben and Brad with the anime podcast.

MrMette

I think we should all chill out and wait until Thursday's stream or the patreon post or a cup of jones where all is explained properly before jumping to conclusions.

I did react to the news as well (although quite mildly), but this thread is becoming unnecessarily toxic again and maybe we should wait before all the info is out there (and we have seen at least episode one of each podcast).

Also, does patreon have towns?

Servbot24

Banned
It's a problem because it gives off an exclusive/VIP vibe to folks who were able to attend the concert event. Information relevant to all paying supporters shouldn't be given as a timed exclusive to a branch of folks who were capable of meeting limited requirements.

It shouldn't have to matter what a patron provides as monetary support or where he/she is located or can do.
You're not a paying customer for products that don't exist yet though... and besides you only have to wait a day or two for more info, it's no big deal. People who attended only have a VIP vibe if you project that onto them. The reality of geography is that some people can go to nearby events and other people are too far away, doesn't make anyone more important than others, it's just the reality of existing on a planet.

wiibomb

this is what happens when you don't release the whole info publicly hahaha

May be something to note for the allies, negativity often comes from speculations and speculation comes from not knowing all info firsthand.

may be it wasn't a good idea to tell people about the patreon tiers and new podcasts on a private event before the mega-stream, because of this.

anyway, I'm not sure if I want to up my pledge (I leaning towards yes), but I'm happy they are making new podcasts, and I'm happy it is a Nintendo podcast give how good Damiani is discussing those themes, he is also really critical about them, so it is a nice combination.

Anaithsol

Neo Member
You're not a paying customer for products that don't exist yet though.

That's not how that works at all. Any and all information regarding their Patreon campaign should be freely available to all patrons in a single instant.

Disclosing information clearly meant to affect the campaign on a whole to a limited audience at a restricted event is a disservice to all your other supporters who couldn't attend due to a magnitude of reasons. It would have been more understandable if the initial reveal was there with it shortly being followed by a series of tweets or a Patreon post, but that didn't occur.

For all intensive purposes, the information is a timed exclusive despite being relevant to all supporters.

The reality of geography is that some people can go to nearby events and other people are too far away, doesn't make anyone more important than others, it's just the reality of existing on a planet.

Geological location and convenience is perfectly sound. That's why I don't have much of an issue with the concert event in itself as well as the meetups; however, these said scenarios should never receive information relevant to everyone ahead of time let alone have it kept to themselves for a full day.

Servbot24

Banned
That's not how that works at all. Any and all information regarding their Patreon campaign should be freely available to all patrons in a single instant.

Disclosing information clearly meant to affect the campaign on a whole to a limited audience at a restricted event is a disservice to all your other supporters who couldn't attend due to a magnitude of reasons. It would have been more understandable if the initial reveal was there with it shortly being followed by a series of tweets or a Patreon post, but that didn't occur.

For all intents and purposes, the information is a timed exclusive despite being relevant to all supporters.

I really just don't understand why it matters. Just have a slight amount patience and everything will be okay. No need to speculate or make assumptions. You're not their campaign manager so I just don't see why you need to know everything right this second.

That said I don't see this going anywhere so I'll leave it at that.

Burt

The thread pendulum's swinging that way today, huh?

Liz-Lemon-Eye-Roll.gif

Call me when we're posting Avril gifs or Bosman pizza footage emerges

PSA: this post is directed at no individual post or poster

Anaithsol

Neo Member
I really just don't understand why it matters. Just have a slight amount patience and everything will be okay. No need to speculate or make assumptions. You're not their campaign manager so I just don't see why you need to know everything right this second.

That said I don't see this going anywhere so I'll leave it at that.

It's not an issue of patience. I'm content with what I've learned so far from mishakoz, but the fact that I had to learn it from him and not fully is an issue when it's highly relevant to the running of their Patreon campaign in which I and many others support.

I'm not making assumptions of their planned content. I'm simply stating that I would have liked to have known this information at the same time or shortly after in the same breadth as the attendees of the concert event.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Realistically Game Sleuth should be taken off the $20k pledge point and replaced with the Nintendo podcast if thats how this is going down. Money clearly isn't some sort of impetus for that project.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
The thread pendulum's swinging that way today, huh?

Liz-Lemon-Eye-Roll.gif

Call me when we're posting Avril gifs or Bosman pizza footage emerges

PSA: this post is directed at no individual post or poster
Can't be memes all the time :-x
img_2033.jpg

Sometimes discussion is good even if it gets uncomfortable. While people have been very presumptuous myself possibly included I think it's a workable tone to engage in discussion in and at least open for improvement. It's a stark contrast to times when the tone was purely insulting which I've always stood up against when I saw it. But in this case I think we should engage try to understand each other. Because the opposite of purely insulting to me and I've criticized this as well is when the EZA community is quick to dismiss, disengages at the sight of negativity and forcibly positive in a way that makes discussion very one sided. Maybe I'm misjudging the balance here but it does feel a bit like we're leaning towards that side today.

That said I appreciate/support the attempt to bring some levity into the tone. :-x

_Ryo_

Wish tabletop 50th would be 2 hours long but... I kinda doubt that. Or there will be anything special. I can dream though. xD

dickroach

Realistically Game Sleuth should be taken off the $20k pledge point and replaced with the Nintendo podcast if thats how this is going down. Money clearly isn't some sort of impetus for that project.

agreed, and because of this I assumed there was going to be some sort of bigger retooling of the whole thing.
an $x/month goal for stuff that comes out every few months doesn't make sense on a channel that releases stuff daily/weekly. it seemed like they kind of locked themselves into that initial structure because the channel was still new, but I thought with the whole build up to this 1yr thing they were gonna change a bunch of stuff.

People in here freaking out about things we weren't even supposed to hear until thursday

Be grateful someone was reporting on the scene to keep you in the loop lol

Here have some wrasslin
Kenny+Omega+moonsault+to+Okada.gif

Joqu

(Okay, gonna try to make this the last post in this vein I'm making here for a good long time. Let's discuss context. It's good, probably.)

Reposting cause it might have went under in an edit and I'm curious how other people feel about it.

A disclaimer wouldn't hurt, but ultimately I feel like the solution to the stuff you're describing is proper communication. Not just an out of the left field statement, I don't think that'd quite work for people, but a stream of consistent updates. I think most patrons are quite understanding of such changes as long as they're aware of what's going on behind the scenes, they're passionate enough to support EZA directly after all.

Not quite the same thing as what you're describing but related is the Game Sleuth discussion this thread had not too long ago. The current information release too, really. I do feel like EZA has been doing a somewhat poor job of keeping their closest fans, the patrons, informed in a timely manner. Initially it seemed like Cup of Jones was going to serve this purpose, but it isn't quite suited for this anymore with its current release schedule.

Anaithsol

Neo Member
People in here freaking out about things we weren't even supposed to hear until thursday

Be grateful someone was reporting on the scene to keep you in the loop lol

Sure, we weren't supposed to know about this information. That's the problem in itself, and my and others point exactly.

I, as a Patreon supporter, shouldn't have to feel grateful someone who attended the concert event decided to share the news.

Whether or not it's a personal problem to you is irrelevant. It's a weird decision that accomplishes very little to no positive gain.

Sometimes discussion is good even if it gets uncomfortable. While people have been very presumptuous myself possibly included I think it's a workable tone to engage in discussion in and at least open for improvement. It's a stark contrast to times when the tone was purely insulting which I've always stood up against when I saw it. But in this case I think we should engage try to understand each other. Because the opposite of purely insulting to me and I've criticized this as well is when the EZA community is quick to dismiss, disengages at the sight of negativity and forcibly positive in a way that makes discussion very one sided. Maybe I'm misjudging the balance here but it does feel a bit like we're leaning towards that side today.

That said I appreciate/support the attempt to bring some levity into the tone. :-x

Frankly, the overall EZA community has always given off this impression that if you're not entirely positive, you're simply being a hater and encouraging discourse. It's annoying to say the least, but as long as criticism is welcomed by the folks who it's directed to, I'll continue providing my thoughts.

I may not be the oldest or wealthiest supporter of Easy Allies, but I want them to succeed just as much as anyone else. Despite that, I can disagree with their practices at any given moment or be upset by any particular action they carry out. That displeasure does not make me any less of a supporter nor less correct than someone who's just a beacon of positivity.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
agreed, and because of this I assumed there was going to be some sort of bigger retooling of the whole thing.
an $x/month goal for stuff that comes out every few months doesn't make sense on a channel that releases stuff daily/weekly. it seemed like they kind of locked themselves into that initial structure because the channel was still new, but I thought with the whole build up to this 1yr thing they were gonna change a bunch of stuff.

Honestly I expected some retooling as well. Maybe they didn't feel like they could retool as much given that things were "promised". Bring me back to the whole they should have a section on the patreon announcement page speaking about leaving the possibility for such things wide open.
(Okay, gonna try to make this the last post in this vein I'm making here for a good long time. Let's discuss context. It's good, probably.)

A disclaimer wouldn't hurt, but ultimately I feel like the solution to the stuff you're describing is proper communication. Not just an out of the left field statement, I don't think that'd quite work for people, but a stream of consistent updates. I think most patrons are quite understanding of such changes as long as they're aware of what's going on behind the scenes, they're passionate enough to support EZA directly after all.

Not quite the same thing as what you're describing but related is the Game Sleuth discussion this thread had not too long ago. The current information release too, really. I do feel like EZA has been doing a somewhat poor job of keeping their closest fans, the patrons, informed in a timely manner. Initially it seemed like Cup of Jones was going to serve this purpose, but it isn't quite suited for this anymore with its current release schedule.

Yeah I don't disagree with that I see those as two separate things though strong communication definitely solves anything that would go on with the current patrons. I still think it would be wise to set the right expectations for any future patrons. The reason I thought about it was the Game Sleuth discussion.
I feel like I'm jumping to conclusions right here, but while I love the series and I do not want it to go it kind of felt like back then that it was a real burden to Damiani that he might not even enjoy taking on anymore. I think that's the worst thing that can happen for a Patreon is to have your creators feel creatively trapped.
Frankly, the overall EZA community has always given off this impression that if you're not entirely positive, you're simply being a hater and encouraging discourse. It's annoying to say the least, but as long as criticism is welcomed by the folks who it's directed to, I'll continue providing my thoughts.

I may not be the oldest or wealthiest supporter of Easy Allies, but I want them to succeed just as much as anyone else. Despite that, I can disagree with their practices at any given moment or be upset by any particular action they carry out. That displeasure does not make me any less of a supporter nor less correct than someone who's just a beacon of positivity.
Yes like I said I criticize both. But I also think at times people often are very clumsy at expressing themselves and do it in ways that encourage the forced positive kneejerk. We all gotta find balance and try to always take a step back and try to look at if we could have communicated feelings ideas better. I've been reading this thread from launch and definitely both sides have some responsibility, myself included as someone that probably has fallen at times into both sides. Like while I say the presumptuous tone is workable I also think we can change the tone to be more pleasant while still getting all our ideas across.

Visceir

Would have been cool if they had done a live-taping of their podcast.

Hearing a constant "Breath of the Wild won't look as good as this" during Uncharted 4 stream sounds like it's stepping a few yards beyond simply specialisation.

Felt more like just a meme that people enjoyed that Damiani maybe milked a tiny bit too much.

Hearing a constant "Breath of the Wild won't look as good as this" during Uncharted 4 stream sounds like it's stepping a few yards beyond simply specialisation.
There was a stretch where he was doing it for every game. He's trolling.

Like any good joke it's grounded in truth

Axass

Just my opinion, nothing personal, etc. but the "you guys are entitled, so silly, ahah" posts are sometimes as bad as the "Damiani sux" ones. Some seem to want an echo-chamber just as much as some others seem to want to vent.

If we can't discuss things, what's even the point of the thread. Personally I'm supporting EZA because I care about them not because I want some sort of recognition, however 90% of the fanbase has to play "second class citizens" for two days just because they wanted a bunch of hundreds people to feel special. You don't see how someone could have an issue with that at all?

They haven't committed an unforgivable sin, but there's room for improvement on how they handled things IMO.

L&R

Joqu

Yeah I don't disagree with that I see those as two separate things though strong communication definitely solves anything that would go on with the current patrons. I still think it would be wise to set the right expectations for any future patrons. The reason I thought about it was the Game Sleuth discussion.
I feel like I'm jumping to conclusions right here, but while I love the series and I do not want it to go it kind of felt like back then that it was a real burden to Damiani that he might not even enjoy taking on anymore. I think that's the worst thing that can happen for a Patreon is to have your creators feel creatively trapped.

Yeah I don't really see it as two separate things I suppose. Setting expectations for future patrons is a matter of strong communication too in the end :p

...that's called a joke. damiani is a huge troll, yes

People are still using it by the way, I see it in chat all the time

Goddamn, Easy Allies are Open Critic's "Most Trusted Review Source of 2016"

http://opencritic.com/blog/10/most-trusted-publications-of-2016

Hey everyone,

As you know, OpenCritic allows users to customize which publications they trust to create their own personalized aggregate score. We monitor these toggles to understand which publications and contributors are most (and least) trusted by the OpenCritic community. With that in mind, we're revealing today the 15 most trusted publications of 2016.

This list is generated by looking at the percentage of users who included a particular publication in their personal score when that publication was available. To ensure that we have enough data for each publication, only publications that were listed on OpenCritic prior to October 1st could qualify.

1. Easy Allies
2. Eurogamer
3. PC Gamer
4. Giant Bomb
5. Game Informer

kenta

Has no PEINS
The show was fantastic, are we discouraged from discussing it before it goes up on YouTube or something? Not sure why everyone is back to being buttheads so quickly

Anaithsol

Neo Member
Just my opinion, nothing personal, etc. but the "you guys are entitled, so silly, ahah" posts are sometimes as bad as the "Damiani sux" ones. Some seem to want an echo-chamber just as much as some others seem to want to vent.

If we can't discuss things, what's even the point of the thread. Personally I'm supporting EZA because I care about them not because I want some sort of recognition, however 90% of the fanbase has to play "second class citizens" for two days just because they wanted a bunch of hundreds people to feel special. You don't see how someone could have an issue with that at all?

They haven't committed an unforgivable sin, but there's room for improvement on how they handled things IMO.

L&R

I agree with this post 100%.

This is pretty much what I wanted to drive across with my posts all the while making the issue present and known.

wapplew

Agree. Make it like Don discount gaming, a random bonus thing.
Also I think is good to let Kyle be this Nintendo podcast producer for the pilot at lease, he is very good with show structure all that.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I don't really see it as two separate things I suppose. Setting expectations for future patrons is a matter of strong communication too in the end :p
Maybe I don't quite understand what you envision. For me the idea is when new people decide to join the patron and read that page I think it would be good to give them a clearer vision of what to expect(in case EZA doesn't fundamentally disagree with my premise, I mean I might totally misread and they're totally into committing to things for as long as EZA is a thing for every show with no outs).

I don't exactly have a clear picture what you mean then with strong communication. To me I see strong communication more as this ongoing process. And it kind of seems weird to have the issue I speak of be solved in an ongoing process kind of way since you would be kind of forced to always regurgitate the same things? Given that it's aimed at new people coming that would still have to integrate into the ongoing process first.

Hope this is enough context to help solving my confusion.
The show was fantastic, are we discouraged from discussing it before it goes up on YouTube or something? Not sure why everyone is back to being buttheads so quickly
I don't believe you are unless they said something on this during the show? That said I'd appreciate spoiler tags as I plan to watch the taping when it goes up.

Goddamn, Easy Allies are Open Critic's "Most Trusted Review Source of 2016"

http://opencritic.com/blog/10/most-trusted-publications-of-2016

Lol GameTrailers is 12th xD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom