• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ebola: Doctors told to prep for global outbreak after victim allowed on two planes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konka

Banned
I've heard this a few times now and I still find it odd. This thinking is so troubling to me. I've held my job for 3 years and take sick days when I feel like shit and expect the same of others. It's messed up that some companies operate any other way.

I've never actually heard of av person being fired in real life for getting sick

I think the Oxford journal article is referring to conditions inside a quarantine ward. If this hits a big city you don't have someone going around spraying bleach on everything. Handrails, toilet seats, faucets, door handles etc.

It's not doomsday, but quite worrying if this keeps going as it looks to.

kmag

The risk may be low, but it is no were near as low as the other person claimed, and multiple people have been infected by such contact.

Casual physical contact is an extremely small vector, it's not going to spread amongst the populace via doorknobs and handshakes for a number of reasons.

In all recorded outbreaks, the primary source of post-primary infections was exposure to bodily fluids typically blood by caregivers and family during the acute phase, and during mortuary rituals. Those two factors which can be well controlled in a Western medical facility.

People in the U.S. will show up to work, even with blood coming out of every orifice.

"can't... waste.... that... vacation time...."

When that starts happening I'll quit and become a grave digger. I get my exercise and get to be outdoors. Plus business will be booming.

Casual physical contact is an extremely small vector, it's not going to spread amongst the populace via doorknobs and handshakes for a number of reasons.

In all recorded outbreaks, the primary source of post-primary infections was exposure to bodily fluids typically blood by caregivers and family during the acute phase, and during mortuary rituals. Those two factors which can be well controlled in a Western medical facility.

Yep.

People seem to be assuming that it's wildly infectious during the incubation period. Were that the case, the death toll for this latest round would have left the hundreds a very long time ago.

jmdajr

Call me skeptical, but I remember when everybody was preaching a global outbreak of bird flu and that never really happened. Don't think it is going to occur, though I would say the potential is there.

That stuff is far more contagious and also probbaly easier to survive. I don't know if Ebola is plane crash odds, but if you win, you're probably doomed.

sphagnum

Banned
wat

Where the hell are you working?

I've got no vacation time or sick days either.

It's more common than you think!

edit: I'm one of those people who works officially 39 hours a week to keep me part time, except I pull enough overtime to be there more often than most full timers.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
wat

Where the hell are you working?

In the US and for several different large corporations. There are no paid vacation laws in the US. And there are only like 5 or 6 cities and/or states that have paid sick leave laws. If there were an ebola outbreak in the US i can see how this could really assist in the spread.

National Holidays???
The only holiday i get off is Christmas Day and its worked into my schedule.

edit:
Its funny because today is the first day of NYC having a paid sick leave law.

Raist

Banned
What are you saying isn't true at all. It takes very little sweat and only a small brake in the skin for infection. It is nothing like how HIV spreads, ebola spreads much more easily and it is much more infectious than HIV.

You are the one who is spreading major misinformation about a serious disease.

Many of the victims became infected due to simple casual contact and interaction with other victims. You are the one who needs to educate yourself and stop spreading uninformed nonsense.

Go read the actual science. You have zero idea what you're talking about.

The risk may be low, but it is no were near as low as the other person claimed, and multiple people have been infected by such contact.

Ha so now you're a bit more informed. You need to realize that these tests are far more optimized than anything you'd be exposed to in the wild, and are ridiculously sensitive.
The same paper has data (all negative) on environmental samples taken in an isolation ward where infected patients were being kept.

WTF are you on about?

Do you realize DOCTORS, the experts that know their shit and have forgotten more about this virus than any of us will ever know, found themselves infected and DEAD. Don't tell me they didn't take all the necessary measures to prevent infection.

Except that doctors are exposed a million times more than you'd be flying on the same plane than an infected patient.

So the ebola virus is not airborne but he can survive in the air a long time and he is in aerosol emitted when the infected person sneeze. considering that the aerosol is in the air up to 3 hours after the sneeze (or so i know) chances of spreading in crowded and closed spaces are not too low xD

sphagnum

Banned
National Holidays???

We have six recognized holidays where I work (New Year's Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas), but I have to be there for at least 2 of them (I don't get to choose, it's predetermined). I work at a call center for a heart monitor facility so someone has to be there at all hours of the day, every day of the year.

I come in for all holidays except Christmas if I don't get assigned it because I need the money.

Go read the actual science. You have zero idea what you're talking about.

Ha so now you're a bit more informed. You need to realize that these tests are far more optimized than anything you'd be exposed to in the wild, and are ridiculously sensitive.
The same paper has data (all negative) on environmental samples taken in an isolation ward where infected patients were being kept.

Except that doctors are exposed a million times more than you'd be flying on the same plane than an infected patient.

Ebola may not be contagious just with skin contact, but with the TSA pat downs and cavity searches it only takes one infected person on a plane to doom everyone. Nice knowing you all!

If ya'll can freak out about a thread that shows a picture of a spider, then I think I can freak out about someone holding an extremely deadly virus getting on a plane.

WE GON DIE

Konka

Banned
I've got no vacation time or sick days either.

It's more common than you think!

edit: I'm one of those people who works officially 39 hours a week to keep me part time, except I pull enough overtime to be there more often than most full timers.

Last time I checked 30 hours is considered full-time.

arab

it's too late

tumblr_m5x61mD1Bk1qzscldo1_500.gif

Paskil

Ebola may not be contagious just with skin contact, but with the TSA pat downs and cavity searches it only takes one infected person on a plane to doom everyone. Nice knowing you all!

I would hope an individual is wearing gloves during a cavity search. I'd be much more afraid of hepatitis, were I a TSA worker that conducted those searches.

FTF

Holy shit...I know media headlines are always hyperbole and whatnot to garner attention, etc, but this sounds freakin serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom