• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ebola: Doctors told to prep for global outbreak after victim allowed on two planes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovek

7Member7
If it does manage to hit some capital city and you live there avoid public transport literally like the fucking plague.

Risible

Its fucked.

Its all fucked.

America will be hit hard. Most of us wait to see the doctor until we are on the brink of death, by which point an infected person would be incredibly contagious. A cough, a sneeze, a brush of the arm. Boom, ebola.

I shall call you Chicken Little from now on.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
In general, this obviously isn't true based on how many people have HIV compared to Ebola. Under the specific conditions of handling the infected, though, you're right in that Ebola probably transfers more easily than HIV.
HIV would be a shitload harder to spread if it didn't hijack a specific activity that humans are biologically compelled to attempt. However, it does and that's why it could grow into an epidemic.

Erigu

Same day too
jpg.jpg
Yeah, that's pushing viral marketing a bit too far, Naughty Dog!

RiZ III

It was only a matter of time. If this reaches a highly populated city like NY or something, there's going to be a mass panic as entire areas might need to be quarantined.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm starting to get scared,but I highly doubt many people that live in western countries will be affected by this disease.
Yeah we're mostly white!

But yeah, it's 100% certain that human population count will take a nose dive within a few decades.

soepje

Really curious how he managed to get on those planes.

I'm not too worried just yet though.

*Of to play Pandemic*

Binabik15

I'm a med student. The panicking in this thread is playacting, I hope. Hyperbole, hyperbole everywhere.

Not nearly as entertaing as the CT scan thread was, though.

Famassu

672 people after 4-5 months

truly, the world is doomed.
Not that I'm panicking, but viral outbreaks have to start from something. It can start slow with "only" 700 people, but the speed of spreading is clearly growing with how much more news of Ebola we are getting recently. Maybe only 700 people have died, but who knows how many people carry the virus already without knowing it. Basically, it can follow this pattern

S-curve.png

At first it starts slow, as only a few people are spreading the disease. Then, someone who lives in a big city catches it and as he/she travels back to his/her home, the disease gets to heavily populated areas and all hell could break loose. Someone who is sick could then travel to London or New York before the worst shit hits the fan, two important, densily populated cities which have air traffic to most capitals of the world. It only takes a few people traveling from New York to their home countries that could start spreading the disease in their own countries.

Sephzilla

I seriously think any country that has even one Ebola victim should have its borders closed and only allow emergency supplies into the country and allow nothing to leave. Only problem is that something like this would likely cause a panic in any country that has its borders shut down, causing people to sneak across borders and spread the disease that way.

DSKMan

Banned
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/eb...las-just-one-flight-away-risk-low-cdc-n166931

Essentially the risk is really low he infected anyone else. Ebola is contagious, but it's not airborne. To contract it you have to be in direct contact with bodily fluids. So in all likelyhood all the passengers on the planes are fine unless he peed on them or something.

Sweat from victims is highly infectious. If he touches something and gets sweat on it, such as the overhead bib door, and another passenger touches it, they could be infected.

Raist

Banned
You can be sure it's mutating all the time.

We really need to step up to the threat globally. If it's not ebola it will be a flu strain or something out of nowhere. It's only a matter of time, really. Let's hope when it happens our medical tech is up to the challenge.

EBOV mutation rate is very, very low.

Sweat from victims is highly infectious. If he touches something and gets sweat on it, such as the overhead bib door, and another passenger touches it, they could be infected.

"Skin" doesn't count as direct contact.

Sephzilla

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/eb...las-just-one-flight-away-risk-low-cdc-n166931

Essentially the risk is really low he infected anyone else. Ebola is contagious, but it's not airborne. To contract it you have to be in direct contact with bodily fluids. So in all likelyhood all the passengers on the planes are fine unless he peed on them or something.

Or coughed. Or sneezed. Or breathed on anyone in close proximity. Or touched anyone while sweating (this wouldn't directly cause infection, but it would get the virus onto another person). Or of someone might have sat in his seat afterwards.

The ways of directly infecting another person aren't amazingly high, but the ways for the virus to jump from person to person are especially in a cramped area like a plane.

Alienous

Sigh...I work in a hospital. Time for a career change.

I'm worrying for the general practitioners. The front-lines.

If someone's sick enough to be admitted to hospital, they'll probably clearly show symptoms, and can be quarantined and dealt with.

But people trying to access their symptoms, and sneezing on the faces of the diagnose-rs. Gahd dahmn.

Good luck, dude.

DSKMan

Banned
In general, this obviously isn't true based on how many people have HIV compared to Ebola. Under the specific conditions of handling the infected, though, you're right in that Ebola probably transfers more easily than HIV.

No, it is true. You seem to lack an understanding of how Ebola spreads. Ebola can spread from direct skin contact fairly easily. All bodily fluids in Ebola victims are highly contagious and Ebola can survive outside the body for extended periods of time, unlike HIV.

The reason it doesn't spread far is because it is only contagious after you show symptoms, and by then you are so sick, you are in no condition to spread any disease.

Binabik15

So you're just a student. I want a real doctor to confirm. :p

If I was a doctor already I could bill you half a grand just for quoting me!

I'm German, though, here I will only be well-off instead of rich or FILTHY rich once I start getting paid *sniff

Raist

Banned
What are you talking about, everyone has breaks in the skin that allows the virus to enter. The person could even run their eyes, again infection.

Merely touching a door handle that an infected person touched, the likelyhood of contamination is ridiculously small, unless you have a severe cut and the contamined person left some blood too or 5L of sweat. Skin is full of RNAses.
Etc, etc.

People need to stop spreading uninformed nonsense.

Sephzilla

I chuckled.

I'll worry if confirmed cases start to readily appear in the US.

I'd worry if a bunch of confirmed cases start popping up in countries that very frequently have travelers going back and forth from the US. Because at that point it would be a matter of time before it gets into the US - because I highly doubt the US would be that proactive and shut down borders preemptively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom