• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ebola: Doctors told to prep for global outbreak after victim allowed on two planes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapstah

No, it is true. You seem to lack an understanding of how Ebola spreads. Ebola can spread from direct skin contact fairly easily. All bodily fluids in Ebola victims are highly contagious and Ebola can survive outside the body for extended periods of time, unlike HIV.

The reason it doesn't spread far is because it is only contagious after you show symptoms, and by then you are so sick, you are in no condition to spread any disease.

My post was based on a very strict reading of his post as Ebola being "easier to catch" than HIV, I'm not refuting which is the worst to come in contact with or anything like that.

Can't wait to see which "pharmaceutical company" tries to make $$$ off non FDA approved anti-Ebola medicine. Kind of like that one snake oilsman in the World War Z book who was living the good life in his bubble house in Antarctica.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
No but bats are, i think this thing mutated already and the doctors breathed in the virus, thats how they got infected even though they took maximum precautions.
I think the virus mutated already to a digital form and infected me via this post. I'm now ded.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
My only regret is that I have boneitis.

I thought something like Ebola has too high of a fatility rate to cause such a global outbreak. People get too sick/die before they can spread it a lot.

AmyS

ebola-virus.png

ijkuo7F.jpg

I thought something like Ebola has too high of a fatility rate to cause such a global outbreak. People get too sick/die before they can spread it a lot.

That's only if it doesn't end up being a mutated strain that with a lowered fatality rate. More people could go longer without signs and end up infecting others.

Konka

Banned
Wow the irrational fear mongering with this is starting to get out of control

I like how everyone suddenly becomes an expert on pandemics and virus mutation.

dbztrk

It was only a matter of time. If this reaches a highly populated city like NY or something, there's going to be a mass panic as entire areas might need to be quarantined.

Imagine the damage that can be done by a carrier of the virus on a packed train during rush hour.

Scary shit...

DSKMan

Banned
Merely touching a door handle that an infected person touched, the likelyhood of contamination is ridiculously small, unless you have a severe cut and the contamined person left some blood too or 5L of sweat. Skin is full of RNAses.
Etc, etc.

People need to stop spreading uninformed nonsense.

What are you saying isn't true at all. It takes very little sweat and only a small brake in the skin for infection. It is nothing like how HIV spreads, ebola spreads much more easily and it is much more infectious than HIV.

You are the one who is spreading major misinformation about a serious disease.

Many of the victims became infected due to simple casual contact and interaction with other victims. You are the one who needs to educate yourself and stop spreading uninformed nonsense.

DSKMan

Banned

This is likely true, it takes it victims down very quickly, and since it isn't airborne, it gives little chance to move around and spread their disease. You aren't spreading a disease if you are in a bed dying.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
This is likely true, it takes it victims down very quickly, and since it isn't airborne, it gives little chance to move around and spread their disease. You aren't spreading a disease if you are in a bed dying.
Seems to me its only because it hasnt hit a large city or other metropolitan area.

jmdajr

People in the U.S. will show up to work, even with blood coming out of every orifice.

"can't... waste.... that... vacation time...."

Merely touching a door handle that an infected person touched, the likelyhood of contamination is ridiculously small, unless you have a severe cut and the contamined person left some blood too or 5L of sweat. Skin is full of RNAses.
Etc, etc.

People need to stop spreading uninformed nonsense.

WTF are you on about?

Do you realize DOCTORS, the experts that know their shit and have forgotten more about this virus than any of us will ever know, found themselves infected and DEAD. Don't tell me they didn't take all the necessary measures to prevent infection.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
People in the U.S. will show up to work, even with blood coming out of every orifice.

"can't... waste.... that... vacation time...."

i havent had a job with vacation time in about 10 years. Also calling in sick is a good way to lose your job from my experience.

jmdajr

WTF are you on about?

Do you realize DOCTORS, the experts that know their shit and have forgotten more about this virus than any of us will ever know, found themselves infected and DEAD. Don't tell me they didn't take all the necessary measures to prevent infection.

Maybe they got careless. Who knows. Until virus is contained it's gonna be pretty scary if you live in any big city that has flights to Africa.

:|

Rapstah

WTF are you on about?

They didn't take all the necessary measures to prevent infection.

kmag

Sweat from victims is highly infectious. If he touches something and gets sweat on it, such as the overhead bib door, and another passenger touches it, they could be infected.

Sweat from the victims is theoretically contagious in that isolated sweat has been found to contain the virus although it is extremely rare to find the virus on the skin of the infected patients.

F1.medium.gif

Other than in samples grossly contaminated with blood, EBOV was not found by any method on environmental surfaces and by RT-PCR on the skin of only 1 patient. These results suggest that environmental contamination and fomites are not frequent modes of transmission, at least in an isolation ward. However, the infectious dose of EBOV is thought to be low, and neither cell culture nor the RT-PCR assay used for EBOV in this study have not been extensively validated for use in environmental detection. Hence, the sensitivity and specificity are unknown. It is possible that EBOV was present in the environment below the threshold of detection or that environmental surfaces in the isolation ward were, at times, initially contaminated by EBOV but then decontaminated through the daily cleaning routine. However, many of the inanimate objects tested, such as bed frames and bedside chairs, would not routinely be specifically decontaminated with bleach solutions under existing guidelines unless they happened to be visibly contaminated [3], suggesting that environmental contamination did not occur. Taken together with empirical epidemiological observations during outbreaks, our results suggest that current recommendations for the decontamination of filoviruses in isolation wards [3] are effective. The risk from environmental contamination and fomites might vary in the household or other settings where decontamination would be less frequent and thorough, especially if linens or other household materials were to become visibly soiled by blood.
...Taken together, our results support the conventional assumptions and field observations that most EBOV transmission comes from direct contact with blood or bodily fluids of an infected patient during the acute phase of illness. The risk of casual contacts with the skin, such as shaking hands, is likely to be low. Environmental contamination and fomites do not appear to pose a significant risk when currently recommended infection control guidelines for the viral hemorrhagic fevers are followed. Prospective studies with the collection of a greater number of clinical samples from patients at different stages of EHF, as well as environmental samples analyzed with an assay validated for EBOV detection in such samples, should be performed to confirm our results.

Assessment of the Risk of Ebola Virus Transmission from Bodily Fluids and Fomites

http://jid.oxfordjournals.org/content/196/Supplement_2/S142.full

Among the postprimary case-patients, the most important risk factor was direct repeated contact with a sick person’s body fluids, as occurs during the provision of care. As expected, the risk was higher when the exposure took place during the late stage of the disease at home. The risk was reduced when the patient stayed in a hospitals, probably because of the use of gloves, even before strict barrier nursing was implemented (6,7).

By contrast, simple physical contact with a sick person appears to be neither necessary nor sufficient for contracting EHF. In fact, one person in whom the disease developed was probably infected by contact with heavily contaminated fomites (patient 7), and many persons who had had a simple physical contact with a sick person did not become infected

Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever Transmission and Risk Factors of Contacts, Uganda

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/9/11/03-0339_article

Sulik2

i havent had a job with vacation time in about 10 years. Also calling in sick is a good way to lose your job from my experience.

Which is why once an epidemic starts in the US there is going to be no stopping it.

This is legit scary. Shut down all air travel in Africa ASAP.

MormaPope

Banned
Apparently Gaf is filled to the brim with Ebola experts, I guess we're all gonna die soon guys, this sensationalist article really is the last news story we'll all read.

DSKMan

Banned
Sweat from the victims is theoretically contagious in that isolated sweat has been found to contain the virus although it is extremely rare to find the virus on the skin of the infected patients.

F1.medium.gif

Assessment of the Risk of Ebola Virus Transmission from Bodily Fluids and Fomites

http://jid.oxfordjournals.org/content/196/Supplement_2/S142.full

The risk may be low, but it is no were near as low as the other person claimed, and multiple people have been infected by such contact.

Konka

Banned

Sorry but what? The shit retail job I got out of college had vacation time. What kind of jobs are you working.

No respectable employer will fire a person for getting sick.

Wray

Scary shit. Thankfully within a decade or two, we'll be able to hunt and destroy these viruses directly with nanomachines.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
WTF are you on about?

Needle stick injuries are very common for health workers.

I shudder to think what'd happen if someone at work got infected. It's the sort of place where bugs going around take weeks to go away. People there take 0 precautions when sick.

MikeDown

Banned
Call me skeptical, but I remember when everybody was preaching a global outbreak of bird flu and that never really happened. Don't think it is going to occur, though I would say the potential is there.

.GqueB.

Banned

I've heard this a few times now and I still find it odd. This thinking is so troubling to me. I've held my job for 3 years and take sick days when I feel like shit and expect the same of others. It's messed up that some companies operate any other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom