• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ebola in Spain: Nurse 'infected in Madrid' / Man dies of Marburg Virus in Uganda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Not confirmed!

How is the Spain lady doing?

"Slightly improving", but still in extremely poor condition.

Wow, Spain is messing up on everything to contain this.

They cannot screw it any worse, so the current course of action is to call the nurse an imprudent liar for not taking the proper measures and then reporting her fever when it was too late, despite the facts that the authorities dropped the ball at every single step, leading to her contagion, and that she went to a doctor a number of times before being admitted.

In the midst of this clusterfuck, the president of Spain Mariano Rajoy and the president of Madrid had the great idea of paying a visit to the hospital where Teresa is being treated. Carlos III's workers were less than amused.

SR0SSUq.png

They were bid farewell by a bunch of angry hospital workers throwing their latex gloves at them.

People have good reason to panic I guess I mean shit you only get one life. Then its game over. Ebola I am not worried about but what of this marbug virus.

keidashxd

I live in spain and my girlfriend is a nurse, first of all, the infected is not a nurse... or at least a nurse with an university degree like all nurses outside spain, here in spain there are two kinds of nurses: those who only clean, serve meals and do some basic stuff but don't have a deep knowledge about treatments or infections ( that's the one who got infected) and the ones with an university degree and more knowledge about medicine, the first kind should be translated as nurse assistant, but it's a job that doesn't exist outside spain... I don't know why.

My point here is that one of the firsts mistakes was to let someone clearly unable to do a proper work (because it doesn't have the knowledge) do it, but as my girlfriend says looking the protocols and the lack of info no one with a proper knowledge of infections should have agreed to treat an infected patient, so only people without the knowledge agreed... and sometimes were forced to agree or for economical reasons.

Despiste all this I don't blame anyone else but the stupid government we have, unable to take any responsability, I really hope the infected survives at the end.

"Slightly improving", but still in extremely poor condition.

They cannot screw it any worse, so the current course of action is to call the nurse an imprudent liar for not taking the proper measures and then reporting her fever when it was too late, despite the facts that the authorities dropped the ball at every single step, leading to her contagion, and that she went to a doctor a number of times before being admitted.

In the midst of this clusterfuck, the president of Spain Mariano Rajoy and the president of Madrid had the great idea of paying a visit to the hospital where Teresa is being treated. Carlos III's workers were less than amused.

SR0SSUq.png

They were bid farewell by a bunch of angry hospital workers throwing their latex gloves at them.

Damn, incredible all the lives this outbreak is affecting. What a great worldwide tragedy this has become.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I live in spain and my girlfriend is a nurse, first of all, the infected is not a nurse... or at least a nurse with an university degree like all nurses outside spain, here in spain there are two kinds of nurses: those who only clean, serve meals and do some basic stuff but don't have a deep knowledge about treatments or infections ( that's the one who got infected) and the ones with an university degree and more knowledge about medicine, the first kind should be translated as nurse assistant, but it's a job that doesn't exist outside spain... I don't know why.

My point here is that one of the firsts mistakes was to let someone clearly unable to do a proper work (because it doesn't have the knowledge) do it, but as my girlfriend says looking the protocols and the lack of info no one with a proper knowledge of infections should have agreed to treat an infected patient, so only people without the knowledge agreed... and sometimes were forced to agree or for economical reasons.

Despiste all this I don't blame anyone else but the stupid government we have, unable to take any responsability, I really hope the infected survives at the end.

Nurse's aides.

well, the media has referred to the infected lady as a nurse's aide, not a nurse, but apparently some newspapers preferred to refer to her as a nurse (it seems like they don't know there're also nuse's aides..). then I gotta say, my gf is a nurse, and she always works with nurse's aide, they're required for most (if not every) of the tasks/operations, so I don't see what's the problem with that, the problem here is the absence/lack of information for the procedures, they didn't have any. last monday my gf told me they started receiving the "proper" protocol precedures/measures, so it's obvious there was no preparation to attend ebola here in Spain, but the govt didn't care at all, they didn't even cared some months ago, in July, when the first infected missioneer of ebola was brought back to Spain.

and believe me, a nurse's aide, is necessary for most of the procedures, I'm sure there were nurses attending the infected priest.

keidashxd

The media in spain was refeering nurse's aide, but I've seen some info outside Spain refering as a nurse, and I just wanted to point out the fact that technically she was not a nurse.

Maybe I just undervalued a nurse's aide a little, I am sorry, it was to expalin the differences between a nurse and a nurse's aide (i didn't know the right word too).

All this situation as a spanish is completely embarassing, but the worst of all is that most people blame the nurse instead of the goverment, I've had some argues these days thanks to this topic and I'm exhausted triyng to explain things to people who only listen the things they want to hear, in any other case they instantly become deaf.

smh...

A person hospitalized in Madrid used the same ambulance that carried Ebola patient Teresa Romero Ramos earlier this month, a source with direct knowledge of the case told CNN's Al Goodman. The ambulance carried Romero on October 6 from her home to the Alcorcon hospital, where she was diagnosed with the Ebola virus. The ambulance then continued its service before officials realized it had to be decontaminated, the source said.

The new patient, who was onboard the ambulance after Romero, had been at home under observation but reported a fever on Thursday and was rushed in a special protected ambulance to the Carlos III Hospital, where Romero is also being treated, according to the source.

http://cnnuslive.cnn.com/Event/Ebola_4/130153150?ss=1

Leonsito

Just confirmed that the person that used the same ambulance has been tested for ebola and the result is NEGATIVE.

Another person that was yesterday hospitalized after traveling from Nigeria-Paris-Madrid in an Air France plane gave NEGATIVE too.

Just two more hospitalized in Tenerife yesterday are still unknown.

reckless

Just confirmed that the person that used the same ambulance has been tested for ebola and the result is NEGATIVE.

Another person that was yesterday hospitalized after traveling from Nigeria-Paris-Madrid in an Air France plane gave NEGATIVE too.

Just two more hospitalized in Tenerife yesterday are still unknown.

As far as I know the tests take like 3 days so I dont know how they are getting results already.

Liljagare

Gold Member
Nice to wake up to that they are now looking for 800 passengers after that nurse took her plain ride because the plane wasn't grounded and has since been flying around the US.. The ultimate mode of spreading infectious disease I guess..

It's just clusterfuck after clusterfuck that is going to allow this stuff to spread.

Amalthea

Banned
So they delibrately brought an infected person to Europe. And they borught him back without having a protocol for Ebola treatment issued.

Ok...

Leonsito

As far as I know the tests take like 3 days so I dont know how they are getting results already.

It seems like there is a first test, and 72hour later a second one.

Sorry: http://politica.elpais.com/politica/2014/10/17/actualidad/1413546969_731525.html

It seems like the other two suspects are negative too in the first test, these were more worrying, as they were a Red Cross that worked in Africa with ebola patients and a Religious that worked in Liberia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom