• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ebola in Spain: Nurse 'infected in Madrid' / Man dies of Marburg Virus in Uganda

Status
Not open for further replies.
opened a new thread because this is pretty unique (so far)

A Spanish nurse who treated an Ebola victim in Madrid is thought to be the first person to have contracted the virus outside Africa, health officials say.

The nurse tested positive for Ebola in initial tests and doctors are awaiting final results, according to reports.

She was part of the team that treated Spanish priest Manuel Garcia Viejo, who died of Ebola on 25 September.

Some 3,400 people have died in the outbreak - mostly in West Africa.

The priest died in the hospital Carlos III de Madrid after catching Ebola in Sierra Leone.

source: BBC and others

The priest at his arrival in spain
do1ubQ7.jpg

--------------------

Also:
Ugandan Health Worker Dies Of Marburg Virus, Ebola Relative

The Ugandan Ministry of Health is reporting today that a 30-year-old male health care worker died of Marburg hemorrhagic fever on September 30.

The gentleman had been a radiographer, or X-ray technician, at the Mpigi Health Centre IV, but was recruited two months ago for a similar position at Mengo Hospital, about 20 miles (33 km) away. When he felt ill on September 17, he traveled back to Mpigi for treatment since “he felt more confortable with a facility that he had worked with for a long time.”.................

Source: Forbes and others

Bebpo

Banned
A friend of mine is totally panicking that it's the end of the world scenario now that Marburg is back (The Hot Zone was about Marburg strain iirc) because it's basically 90% fatality deadly ebola AND airborne. They said the only reason it didn't cause a global pandemic last time was that Marburg was in a remote village and it killed everyone before it could spread.

It's going to be ok, right?

A friend of mine is totally panicking that it's the end of the world scenario now that Marburg is back (The Hot Zone was about Marburg strain iirc) because it's basically 90% fatality deadly ebola AND airborne. They said the only reason it didn't cause a global pandemic last time was that Marburg was in a remote village and it killed everyone before it could spread.

Marburg cases have been happening in Uganda for a numbers of years.

slit

Marburg is not airborne so tell your friend to shut up.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer

It's not airborne and the fatality rate is about 25%

reckless

It isn't airborne. And the usual fatality rate is a lot less then 90%.

Syncytia

The Hot Zone was partially about Marburg, but the airborne virus your friend is thinking of is Ebola Reston. Reston is airborne but only causes disease in primates. Also fun fact, Marburg got its name from an outbreak that started in Marburg Germany that infected some 30 odd people and killed 7 or so. So it doesn't have 100% although it is still fairly deadly. Some outbreaks have been more deadly, like Ebola outbreaks - fatality rates differ due to a lot of factors.

dani_dc

Damn, shocked that even with all that care someone ended up infected.

Bit too close to home (neighboring country), but I doubt it will go much farther.

Stops going outside.
Unless you're planning to french kiss every single person in Spain, I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.

Isn't that how they greet people there?

What's most shocking to me is how they're transporting that priest in the picture.

Like I didn't realize they went to those extremes. You'd think Ebola was some kind of airborne super virus the way he's sealed in and the way the medical staff is suited up. Images like that scare the crap out of people.

What's most shocking to me is how they're transporting that priest in the picture.

Like I didn't realize they went to those extremes. You'd think Ebola was some kind of airborne super virus the way he's sealed in and the way the medical staff is suited up. Images like that scare the crap out of people.

and even with those kind of precautions: people do dumb stuff and get sick from it

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This is an absolute disgrace.

The priest who was being treated in Madrid was moved from Africa for purely political reasons (to appease the religious right, which is incredibly angry at the conservative government due its fumbling and botching of their much maligned abortion reform), against the criteria of the experts, with no viable treatment and at a high economical cost.

They shipped a patient who was already in his very last throes for nothing but scoring points with the far right, and as a result there's an infected nurse who may also die.

Heads should roll for this.

reckless

The priest who was being treated in Madrid was moved from Africa for purely political reasons (to appease the religious right, which is incredibly angry at the conservative government due its fumbling and botching of their much maligned abortion reform), against the criteria of the experts, with no viable treatment and at a high economical cost.

They shipped a patient who was already in his very last throes for nothing but scoring points with the far right, and as a result there's an infected nurse who may also die.

Well he did get the Zmapp treatment so to test its effectiveness they needed a more controllable environment then some hospital in Sierra Leone , and being pretty much anywhere else leaves you with a much greater chance of living.

wildfire

Banned

You know they won't but I wish it was the hysterical people who wanted to feel good moreso than the politicians.

The medical staff and everyone else going near this disease are very brave and I hope we don't hear any more tragedies like this.

Krassus

I was kidding im going to Spain but seriously a co-worker was trying to tell me that he isnt going to go because of the risk ...... I tried to tell him its one person and he was like thats how it starts

Well, it actually makes sense. You can catch this Ebola strain like you would the flu. That's how nurses, camera men, even doctors, etc. have been infected. Saliva particles can travel pretty far and stick to places one normally has contact with. Not trying to cause panic, but that's why containment is important.

I would like to think half the time people are joking when they menton 'ebola zombies.' But that's giving people too much credit. In the case of a real western world mass outbreak of ebola. The majority of those infected would gradually become too weak to go out, eventually move to cause any harm. If you're not infected, you'd want to live in a bubble suit and burn everything.

commedieu

Banned
Well, it actually makes sense. You can catch this Ebola strain like you would the flu. That's how nurses, camera men, even doctors, etc. have been infected. Saliva particles can travel pretty far and stick to places one normally has contact with. Not trying to cause panic, but that's why containment is important.

camera men:

He landed tuesday, and got it Wed. The last NBC guy, you've seen some story about how? I was immediately curious on how he got it as it seems he wouldn't have much direct contact with bodily fluids.

He does not know how he became infected with Ebola, but Levy said his son believes it may have been when he was helping others spray-wash a vehicle.

"He was disinfecting a car in which someone had died," said Levy. "He might have gotten something sprayed on him."

Levy said that his son is “not certain” when he got the disease, but believes that he could have gotten infected by some of the spray back that came when he was using chlorine to disinfect a car.

"It was a vehicle that somebody had died in," Levy said.

Is all I saw.

Do not spray wash vehicles folks. Burn them, as GAF suggests.

Spray + Droplets into his mouth/small cut..?

Nivash

That's not even remotely true. Flu is infectious because it creates aerosols that linger in the air that other people breathe in. You could walk behind a person in town, said person coughs and boom, infection. That's not true with Ebola. The saliva just falls to the ground. Also, the Flu is at its most infectious before symptoms develop which makes it incredibly difficult to quarantine it even if you tried. Ebola is only infectious after symptoms are manifest.

Combine those two and you get people spraying clouds of disease around them for days without even knowing they're sick vs people only being infectious through close contact and then only for a day or two, after that they're too sick to be walking around at all.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
A second nurse has been isolated and is now being tested under suspicion of being infected.

I don't even know how this is even remotely possible in an actual hospital with highly trained professionals and proper tools.

If confirmed, it's fair to assume something went awfully wrong and the authorities kept it in secret.

A second nurse has been isolated and is now being tested under suspicion of being infected.

I don't even know how this is even remotely possible in an actual hospital with highly trained professionals and proper tools.

If confirmed, it's fair to assume something went awfully wrong and the authorities kept it in secret.

wtf?

could you post sources please

Ferr986

Well he did get the Zmapp treatment so to test its effectiveness they needed a more controllable environment then some hospital in Sierra Leone , and being pretty much anywhere else leaves you with a much greater chance of living.

He didnt . They didnt have Zmapp if Im not mistaken. So they just took him here to... die.

reckless

He didnt . They didnt have Zmapp if Im not mistaken. So they just took him here to... die.

Yeah, the other Spanish priest did. Thought there was only 1 priest.

You still have a better chance in surviving if you are in a country with more modern healthcare.

This is a perfect guide on how to be a major screwup.

Really, I want to burn our politicians to the ground.

SHAME. I feel ashamed of being spanish, goddamit.

Hope this infection is stopped or else we're screwed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom