• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ebola in Spain: Nurse 'infected in Madrid' / Man dies of Marburg Virus in Uganda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferr986

The infected nurse just went on vacation after the death of the priest (I can't find where she went). 30 persons under vigilance. Spanish source. Welp.

Nowhere, she just got holidays from work the day after the death of the priest.

Nope, every story I find says he was being treated with it. Also it wouldn't make sense to file the exception of they didn't have any.

You may be thinking about the first priest, the second didnt got Zmapp

http://www.europapress.es/madrid/noticia-muere-misionero-garcia-viejo-enfermo-ebola-20140925191152.html

Uno de los tratamientos experimentales que se han desarrollado en los últimos meses, el 'Zmapp', con el que se trató al religioso Miguel Pajares, también repatriado a España, se encontraba agotada en todo el mundo, por lo que se estaban barajando otras alternativas terapéuticas para poder tratarlo.

slit

This is a perfect guide on how to be a major screwup.

Really, I want to burn my country to the ground.

SHAME. I feel ashamed of being spanish, goddamit.

Hope this infection is stopped or else we're screwed

Hope the hyperbole stops or we'll have to hear muck like this for months on end.

That's not even remotely true. Flu is infectious because it creates aerosols that linger in the air that other people breathe in. You could walk behind a person in town, said person coughs and boom, infection. That's not true with Ebola. The saliva just falls to the ground. Also, the Flu is at its most infectious before symptoms develop which makes it incredibly difficult to quarantine it even if you tried. Ebola is only infectious after symptoms are manifest.

Combine those two and you get people spraying clouds of disease around them for days without even knowing they're sick vs people only being infectious through close contact and then only for a day or two, after that they're too sick to be walking around at all.
Forgot to specify the bold. To be be more clear on what I meant with it being easy to catch a la flu:

When an infection does occur in humans, the virus can be spread in several ways to others. Ebola is spread through direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes in, for example, the eyes, nose, or mouth) with

• blood or body fluids (including but not limited to urine, saliva, sweat, feces, vomit, breast milk, and semen) of a person who is sick with Ebola
  • objects (like needles and syringes) that have been contaminated with the virus
http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/?mobile=nocontent

Ebola can be transmitted via saliva and sweat.Therefore if someone sneezes on a door handle and you touch the handle then pick your teeth later you can get Ebola. Transmitted similar to the flu. Which supports how it's gotten around Liberia, Sierra Leone without people throwing bodily fluids like mardi gras beads.

camera men:

He landed tuesday, and got it Wed. The last NBC guy, you've seen some story about how? I was immediately curious on how he got it as it seems he wouldn't have much direct contact with bodily fluids.

Is all I saw.

Do not spray wash vehicles folks. Burn them, as GAF suggests.

Spray + Droplets into his mouth/small cut..?
That's as much as I've read/heard in news reports too:
http://news.yahoo.com/video/cameraman-infected-ebola-relieved-back-171244563.html

Hope the hyperbole stops or we'll have to hear muck like this for months on end.

Yup, I'm sorry, I edited my post as It was overly dramatic and got carried away, but seriously our politicians ignored the warnings not to bring the diseased priests from the World Health Organization.

It is a major fuckup

Edit: They are currently studying another nurse who may have been infected as well

iKhayal18

This is a perfect guide on how to be a major screwup.

Really, I want to burn our politicians to the ground.

SHAME. I feel ashamed of being spanish, goddamit.

Hope this infection is stopped or else we're screwed

Y tanto... Y tanto. Qué vergüenza de país.

As another user said, thanks Rajoy, because you are and you will be the responsible of this Ebola "leak" and its consequences. The nurse has been infected since the 30th of September, when she was on vacation. She experienced the first symptoms and she contacted her hospital, but seeing that they didn't care, she was the one that had to go personally to the hospital, since the symptoms have been being more notable. Also, you might remember all the spectacle they created when they brought the priest, with all those plastic chambers and all the protocol. Well, she is being held in a normal hospital room along with the rest of patients.

Ferr986

Seems like the nurse did a test 4 days after the death of the priest, and while she had some early symptoms of contagion, they let her go because she had no fever.

Also, some workers of the hospital are claiming the suits they used werent appropiate for Ebola treatment.

Ebola can be transmitted via saliva and sweat.Therefore if someone sneezes on a door handle and you touch the handle then pick your teeth later you can get Ebola. Transmitted similar to the flu. Which supports how it's gotten around Liberia, Sierra Leone without people throwing bodily fluids like mardi gras beads.

I feel like some folks are underestimating how transmittable Ebola can be.

Bear in mind that you have well-trained, foreign doctors there in full hazmat suits who presumably know what they're doing getting infected while treating patients. These guys know that they are in an environment with the virus and are taking specific precautions to avoid contracting it.

If it can happen to guys who are already trained and cognizant of the danger of their environment and the patients they are working with, it seems as if transmission between "normal" folks is probably not as difficult a barrier as some folks seem to think it is.

Seems like the nurse did a test 4 days later of the death of the priest, and while she had some early symptoms of contagion, they let her go because she had no fever.

Also, some workers of the hospital are claiming the suits they used werent appropiate for Ebola treatment.

Well... They are reporting the suits were two levels lower than what is required to handle such dangerous diseases.

Not only that, the gloves were sealed with duct tape

1412618449_833358_1412618773_sumario_normal.jpg

reckless

Bear in mind that you have well-trained, foreign doctors there in full hazmat suits who presumably know what they're doing getting infected while treating patients.

If it can happen to guys who are already trained and cognizant of the danger of their environment and the patients they are working with, it seems as if transmission between "normal" folks is probably not as difficult a barrier as some folks seem to think it is.

Well they are busy being in direct contact with someone that is most likely bleeding, coughing,sweating, sneezing etc for hours and hours.

Luckily by the time its contagious most people are too sick to be going around and spreading it to normal people.

undu

A second nurse has been isolated and is now being tested under suspicion of being infected.

I don't even know how this is even remotely possible in an actual hospital with highly trained professionals and proper tools.

If confirmed, it's fair to assume something went awfully wrong and the authorities kept it in secret.

Check OPs image, they didn't have proper tools, they were improvised, and afaik the hospital wasn't prepared for ebola either.

KHarvey16

Bear in mind that you have well-trained, foreign doctors there in full hazmat suits who presumably know what they're doing getting infected while treating patients. These guys know that they are in an environment with the virus and are taking specific precautions to avoid contracting it.

The flu kills half a million or so people a year and Ebola has killed like 7000 since we found out about it decades ago. The idea that Ebola and the flu are transmitted the same way is ridiculous.

Ensirius

I'm so fucking pissed at our government right now.
A priest doing charity work in Africa, willingly acknowledging he was going to a hot zone where he could get infected. He, in fact, gets infected with ebola. Selfishly asks our government to bring him back. Our government, knowing there is no fucking cure, brings him back anyway, exposing other people.

Such a clusterfuck. Now the Health Minister goes on a press conference, basically says shit, points fingers, and walks home, without resigning. Goddamn my country is so fucked.

KHarvey16

I'm so fucking pissed at out government right now.
A priest doing charity work in Africa, willingly acknowledging he was going to a hot zone where he could get infected. He, in fact, gets infected with ebola. Selfishly asks our government to bring him back. Out government, knowing there is no fucking cure, brings him back anyway, exposing other people.

Such a clusterfuck. Now the Health Minister goes on a press conference, basically says shit, points fingers, and walks home, without resigning. Goddamn my country is so fucked.

Likewise the nurse and other hospital staff accept the risk themselves.

Nivash

Forgot to specify the bold. To be be more clear on what I meant with it being easy to catch a la flu:

Ebola can be transmitted via saliva and sweat.Therefore if someone sneezes on a door handle and you touch the handle then pick your teeth later you can get Ebola. Transmitted similar to the flu. Which supports how it's gotten around Liberia, Sierra Leone without people throwing bodily fluids like mardi gras beads.[/URL]

That's only "like the flu" if you mean "like the flu, if we're only talking about the most roundabout way imaginable to get infected by the flu". It's possible, but it's completely dwarfed by the much more infectious airborne transmission.

The reason Ebola has spread the way it has in Africa has to do with the fact that people over there are by necessity much more hands-on in their contact with other people than us sheltered westerners. Look at the US case - infected by carrying an infected woman to (and possibly from) the hospital. Many others have been infected while trying to care for their sick relatives in their home, which is the most dangerous thing you can do with Ebola. Others were infected by ritually washing diseased loved ones.

In high-income and even most middle-income countries we have the luxury of simply getting our sick to a hospital and our dead to an undertaker. This greatly limits the spread of any disease, particularly close-contact ones like Ebola which are reasonably simple to isolate. For instance, I'd be very surprised if this nurse infected any others. She had to have known from the moment she started feeling ill that she was infected with Ebola and must have had the sense to isolate herself.

commedieu

Banned
That's only "like the flu" if you mean "like the flu, if we're only talking about the most roundabout way imaginable to get infected by the flu". It's possible, but it's completely dwarfed by the much more infectious airborne transmission.

The reason Ebola has spread the way it has in Africa has to do with the fact that people over there are by necessity much more hands-on in their contact with other people than us sheltered westerners. Look at the US case - infected by carrying an infected woman to (and possibly from) the hospital. Many others have been infected while trying to care for their sick relatives in their home, which is the most dangerous thing you can do with Ebola. Others were infected by ritually washing diseased loved ones.

In high-income and even most middle-income countries we have the luxury of simply getting our sick to a hospital and our dead to an undertaker. This greatly limits the spread of any disease, particularly close-contact ones like Ebola which are reasonably simple to isolate. For instance, I'd be very surprised if this nurse infected any others. She had to have known from the moment she started feeling ill that she was infected with Ebola and must have had the sense to isolate herself.

Look at the CameraMan case. He landed Tuesday, and got Ebola Wed. The only possible way that he thinks he may have got it, was from overspray from a car that they were using bleach to clean. Do you consider that intimate contact?

Someone previously died in the vehicle( I assume Ebola victim, but info isn't specific). How do you suppose the transmission happened, as this is the only real fact to go on. Testimony from the Infected man himself.

reckless

Look at the CameraMan case. He landed Tuesday, and got Ebola Wed. The only possible way that he thinks he may have got it, was from overspray from a car that they were using bleach to clean. Do you consider that intimate contact?

Someone previously died in the vehicle. How do you suppose the transmission happened, as this is the only real fact to go on. Testimony from the Infected man himself.

Having water/bleach sprayed on you that also contains sweat ,blood and mucus of an infected person seems pretty intimate to me...

This what-if regarding a door handle was mentioned like ten times in the other thread, does it keep popping up around the internet or something? It's a theoretical method of transmission and has never been determined to have actually happened.You'd have to immediately touch the handle after the victim did and then immediately shove your fingers in your mouth or eyes or whatever. At which point I'm not sure who to blame, really.

Yeah it sorta maybe could happen but like nearly everything else about the contagiousness of this disease it's not something to actively worry about.

but she didn't and nor did the rest of the hospital staff.

Nivash

Someone previously died in the vehicle. How do you suppose the transmission happened, as this is the only real fact to go on. Testimony from the Infected man himself.

First of all I somewhat doubt that theory, but if that was how it happened (by him getting hit by fluids during the wash) it still counts as close contact with contaminated fluids. It's just really rotten luck to get it that way. I'm using close-contact as a term to contrast with secondary-contact transmission like airborne, waterborne or mosquitoborne diseases which are much, much more difficult to contain and isolate.

KHarvey16

Someone previously died in the vehicle( I assume Ebola victim, but info isn't specific). How do you suppose the transmission happened, as this is the only real fact to go on. Testimony from the Infected man himself.

Wasn't he in Africa before he was hired? Anyway, yes, if you clean out a car full of bodily fluids from a person who died from Ebola and spray it into your face you might get Ebola.

commedieu

Banned
Having water/bleach sprayed on you that also contains sweat ,blood and mucus of an infected person seems pretty intimate to me...

It seems that it would be routine to clean a vehicle with bleach. Considering bleach kills ebola. Do you picture the cameraman just sitting directly in front of the streams of water as they shoot blood and mucous directly into his eyes? Or was it just the light spray from a car wash for example. What do yo think?

When we discuss how W.A is being infected, as Raists post shows. The focus is on this prolonged intimate contact with direct blood and mucous. I would hope that there's been some CDC/WHO specific way to clean cars, and that just being around the spray mixed with bleach, wouldn't do you in.

First of all I somewhat doubt that theory, but if that was how it happened (by him getting hit by fluids during the wash) it still counts as close contact with contaminated fluids. It's just really rotten luck to get it that way. I'm using close-contact as a term to contrast with secondary-contact transmission like airborne, waterborne or mosquitoborne diseases which are much, much more difficult to contain and isolate.

Well its what hes saying. I'm assuming the CDC/WHO has procedures that everyone is aware of on how to clean a car.

Kharvey,

Levy told The Post on Friday that Mukpo worked for an NGO in Liberia until May. After returning to the United States for several months, he went back to Liberia two weeks ago to “see if he could make a difference” by reporting on the devastating effect of Ebola on the country, his father said.

Spiegel

but she didn't and nor did the rest of the hospital staff.

Yeah, she was feeling the symptoms since September 30th (4 days after the patient died) and only today she got checked into the hospital.

This is a major fuck up. I can't believe this has happened.

mario_O

fucking hell

she had symptoms and they still didn't give a fuck?
smh

Yep, she reported fever on the 30th september, and they did nothing. Not a fucking test. It's unbelievable. So yes, she's been sick with symptoms and with NO isolation for a week.

reckless

It seems that it would be routine to clean a vehicle with bleach. Considering bleach kills ebola. Do you picture the cameraman just sitting directly in front of the streams of water as they shoot blood and mucous directly into his eyes? Or was it just the light spray from a car wash for example. What do yo think?

When we discuss how W.A is being infected, as Raists post shows. The focus is on this prolonged intimate contact with direct blood and mucous. I would hope that there's been some CDC/WHO specific way to clean cars, and that just being around the spray mixed with bleach, wouldn't do you in.

Yeah its a routine way to clean the vehicle, however the people doing the cleaning wear protective clothings specifically so stuff like this doesn't happen.

Why does it matter if its light spray or not, hes still getting Ebola infected fluids on him.

Nivash

Using powerful disinfectants both before and after washing the area is protocol, yes, but I somewhat doubt that was what the cameraman was using. Had there been properly equipped decontamination crews on site he obviously wouldn't have had to pitch in. I wouldn't be surprised if it they just used a power hose, and I think everyone having washed a car with those would agree that you don't exactly expect to be dry yourself afterwards.

And it's not necessarily prolonged contact (although that obviously increases the risk, hence hospital staff being overrepresented in the outbreak). Any contact with significant amounts would be enough. If an Ebola patient died in the car it would have been full of it.

wait a minute

I just read that this Carlos III hospital is "specialized" in tropical and infectious diseases and they still managed to fuck this up royaly?

commedieu

Banned
Using powerful disinfectants both before and after washing the area is protocol, yes, but I somewhat doubt that was what the cameraman was using. Had there been properly equipped decontamination crews on site he obviously wouldn't have had to pitch in. I wouldn't be surprised if it they just used a power hose, and I think everyone having washed a car with those would agree that you don't exactly expect to be dry yourself afterwards.

I cant help but wonder how exactly one gets into a situation cleaning a car without the safety precautions. Raist, here, use this powerwasher... clean out the ebola infected car.. thanks buddy!

Could very well just have been an accident, and it wasn't due to any lack of information about how to effectively clean the car. The situation is more dire than I could imagine, so hell, maybe the information just isn't getting to the ground.

And it's not necessarily prolonged contact (although that obviously increases the risk, hence hospital staff being overrepresented in the outbreak).

Yeah its a routine way to clean the vehicle, however the people doing the cleaning wear protective clothings specifically so stuff like this doesn't happen.

Why does it matter if its light spray or not, hes still getting Ebola infected fluids on him.

Thats sort of what I was getting at.

fmcato

Yeah, she was feeling the symptoms since September 30th (4 days after the patient died) and only today she got checked into the hospital.

This is a major fuck up. I can't believe this has happened.

"A major fuck up" does not even start to describe the current government in Spain.

The flu kills half a million or so people a year and Ebola has killed like 7000 since we found out about it decades ago. The idea that Ebola and the flu are transmitted the same way is ridiculous.

I don't think that I or anyone has stated that they are transmitted in the exact same way (though there are overlaps) but that some folks tend to downplay how easily transmitted it is.

Flu is certainly more easily transmitted and partially because people are not particularly vigilant about it given that it does not have a high rate of mortality. When you have Ebola, a much more dangerous virus, and trained professionals who presumably know what they are doing and taking precautions are contracting it, then I think it would be fair to acknowledge that it's not as difficult to contract as some folks would believe.

commedieu

Banned
Right, so he was in Africa for a week or two prior to starting work as a cameraman.

Oh I see, yeah I said "landed tuesday." so he was there a few weeks before and the only way he feels he would have had contact was when they were cleaning a car. I feel that we can take his word on how he may have contracted the virus. Or, we can just assume he got it some other way that he doesn't know. But I'd imagine hed know the intimate times he would have been in danger.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Check OPs image, they didn't have proper tools, they were improvised, and afaik the hospital wasn't prepared for ebola either.
The incompetence displayed through the whole affair is just shocking. I wouldn't be surprised the actual equipment was misplaced or spent years ago and never replaced.

I know for a fact that the isolation suits sent to one of my cities' hospitals are being kept at the offices instead of being easily reachable by the ER folks. Nurses have been raging about it for weeks.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
wait a minute

I just read that this Carlos III hospital is "specialized" in tropical and infectious diseases and they still managed to fuck this up royaly?
High ranking officials are politically appointed.

Just like it happened with the high speed train disaster from some time ago, you can almost count with some well connected idiot managing the whole crisis and then sweeping everything under the rug when somebody fucked up, leaving nurses and doctors to fend themselves.

This administration is a catastrophe by itself.

The R nought of Ebola is between 1 and 2. That is very low.

They say the virus from body fluids can last as much as months, that's insane.

Imagine if the nurse traveled in a subway, sweating or coughing, if other people accidentaly get in touch with those fluids chances are they will become infected.

Also, keep in mind that transportation in infected regions over in Africa are not as rich as in Madrid, which is a popular tourist attraction. You've got buses, trains, subways and airports.

One of the main causes of Ebola being stuck in Africa is that infectees were not able to travel long distances because they would die in about 20 days, as they depend in ground transports and journeys on foot.

It really makes me very worried.

Spiegel

"A major fuck up" does not even start to describe the current government in Spain.

I know. I'm suffering from it too. But I just can't believe how they let people who came in contact with the people infected walk away on vacation the day after the man died. And then after having symptoms she only gets checked in into the hospital six days later.

I mean, this is having zero common sense from the hospital, from the nurse and from the government (hello? quarantine protocols anyone?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom