• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #257 - Destiny, scores

Features
- How Bungie is handing control over to the player in its new epic, Destiny
- The British arcade scene is reborn on an industrial estate in London
- The making of.. Where's my Water?

Reviews
Pikmin 3 - 8
Dota 2 - 9
Tales of Xillia - 7
Deus Ex: The Fall - 6
Deadpool - 3
Dark - 3
Rogue Legacy - 8
Layton Brothers: Mystery Room - 7
Mighty Switch Force! 2 - 6
Capsule - 7

Previews
Watch Dogs
Titanfall
Puppeteer
Batman: Arkham Origins
DriveClub
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Super Mario 3D World

Next month
20th anniversary (Thursday August 19th, 1993)

print / Apple utopia / Zinio / Play

Current subscribers: if you're paying more than £10 a quarter consider the bi annually deal. £20. E20 is the promo code and the switch is fairly painless.

Way too harsh on Deadpool.

Sure, I'm a comic book fan, so I come with a bias, but I don't like shit games. You won't see me playing X-Men: Destiny or Superman Returns or that Sega Thor game. Deadpool is closer to Volition's Punisher or Raven's Wolverine than it is those other turds.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Swedish magazine gave Deadpool a 4 as well.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
That's a really hot cover. Come to think of it, all of Destiny's (concept) art is top notch.

Blackage

Come on guys, Deadpool is a funny and goofy game that you'll like if you like Deadpool, but the gameplay is garbage. =/

Come on guys, Deadpool is a funny and goofy game that you'll like if you like Deadpool, but the gameplay is garbage. =/

Actually it's pretty solid if you played it.

(PC version mind you, not sure on the console versions but I couldn't see them being THAT different)

Destiny sounds like such a nightmare to make. All this bringing multi and single player together basically means someone playing the game 6+ months after launch is potentially going to have a very different experience.

patapuf

I've come to the conclusion that by now, at least one person from most magazines/sites fell down the MOBA rabithole.

The game was in beta long enough that reviewers actually know what a MOBA is now. The scores reflect that.

Goron2000

best junior ever
They are a magazine, they're not looking for hits. If the reviewer gave it a 3 then i'm sure they had their reasons.

Dwayne

Deadpool's 3 is one man's opinion, don't be so offended everyone. If he thought it was shit, then why not give it a 3?

No way, it's just concept art.
A lot of covers are...

So they're name dropping Dark Souls. Citing an example of when Ryan Ellis was struggling to take down a boss alone, but two other members spawned into the arena in a separate fire team and helped out allowing everyone to be rewarded. What happens if all the other players you encounter are beasts, and can tell from the way you're suited, and playing that you're a noob and try to ruin your experience? Ellis goes on to say that when the servers were down his son noticed that nobody was playing online and he didn't want to play that night.

I don't if it's been stayed but for people who care the mag is being printed on different paper from the last issue. It's now a bit sturdier. It's a lot better. Plus the cover is really lovely.

Oooh, is this online? I'd be interested in reading that.
Not yet.

For the crafting system apparently Bungie has been showing off more customised, late game weapons in the footage. they're hesitant to talk about it further sadly.
I really hope Destiny delivers, it sounds really ambitious. It's either going to be the best FPS game ever made, or a complete clusterfuck.
Also when do they stop supporting current generation systems? Does Activision decide or does Bungie decide? In terms of pushing their engine further with fewer restrictions. It seems a conflict of interest especially if the new consoles don't set the world on fire.

"If people are still buying things [by 2016] on 360 and PS3, we're going to treat those as just as high priority as we ever have. We'll make those decisions when we need to."

Ein Bear

I really hope Destiny delivers, it sounds really ambitious. It's either going to be the best FPS game ever made, or a complete clusterfuck.

And Pimkin 3 should be a 10, damnit. A 10.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The British arcade scene is reborn on an industrial estate in London

Need more than a PC running Stepmania and a Time Crisis II cabinet to say the scene is reborn.

mclem

That's a really hot cover. Come to think of it, all of Destiny's (concept) art is top notch.

They did a circle, now they're doing a sphere. In two generations time, look forward to the visual representation of a four-dimensional hypersphere.

Didn't realise the Deadpool game had such a 'following'.
I think that even people that didn't really care for it would agree that a 3 is excessive.

For the upper tier of modern comic book games, you pretty much have the Arkham games and nothing else.

In the mid tier, you have things like Volition's Punisher and Raven's Wolverine. Deadpool is right in line with those.

After that I would say you have a tier of mostly decent games like Next Level's Captain America or the X-Men Legends/MUA.

The rest are the shitty games where a 3 would be appropriate. X-Men: Destiny, Superman Returns, the Iron Man and Thor games from Sega, the PSN Punisher game, the Watchmen games, etc.

Deadpool isn't even close to a 3. That smells more of a lack of perspective on the part of the reviewer than just a difference of opinion. I don't think a person giving Deadpool a 3 understands how shitty some games are, even in the context of modern licensed comic book games.

danmaku

Deadpool's 3 is one man's opinion, don't be so offended everyone. If he thought it was shit, then why not give it a 3?

b-b-b-but fans will get angry and publishers will get angry and the game's not that bad after all, so let's just give 8 or more to every game and stop thinking about it ok?

Top Bottom