• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #261, next generation launch special

j0VtWARfCFhZ1.jpg

cover is in gold foil, magazine comes with an Xbone mini magazine edited by some Future staff

Features
And Stay Dead What is it about permadeath that makes the mechanic so popular?
An audience with... Fumito Ueda
The Explorers Behind the games you know - what curios lie abandoned in their code
The Making Of... Frozen Synapse
Places... The Lost Woods
Studio Profile: Amanita Design

Previewed
Project Spark
The Order: 1886
Galak-Z
Volume
Strider
Hyper Light Drifter
Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

Reviewed
Super Mario 3D World [9]
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag [9]
Battlefield 4 [7]
Call of Duty: Ghosts [7]
Batman: Arkham Origins [6]
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds [8]
Tearaway [9]
The Stanley Parable [9]
Duet [6]
Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign [7]
Puzzle & Dragons [7]

subscription info

Next month page features an Edge logo in cyan magenta and yellow. On sale December 19th

Liberty4all

Banned
Mario is amazing but you would think a mag covering laughed would feature pics of the new consoles or titles from them.

or is this edge being edgy?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
+1 to this. "So special we can't give you our verdict on any PS4/Xbone games!"
Or EDGE didn't have enough time with them to make a full month of content.

They previewed 6 games that are coming on PS4. 1 on PC, 1 on Xbone.
3/4 reviews also have next-gen versions.

Asd202

AC4 is fucking awesome though

Yeah I've played it some. It seems like best AC game but a 9 is too high IMO. Not with such bad stealth mechanics, stupid enemy AI and terrible combat.

You know times are a-changing when 80% of Edge reviews are 7s with nothing below that. Edge's scale kind of shifted from a 4-10 to a 7-10 to match the industry..

Well you have to get those scoops and previews!

You know times are a-changing when 80% of Edge reviews are 7s with nothing below that. Edge's scale kind of shifted from a 4-10 to a 7-10 to match the industry..

Floex

Mario is amazing but you would think a mag covering laughed would feature pics of the new consoles or titles from them.

or is this edge being edgy?

Why? We have already seen the two consoles on covers and it looks like Mario is going to be the one of GOTY, probably better than anything currently on the two next-gen consoles aswell.

Derrick01

Banned
Was AC4 that good gaf?

Hmmm

I keep waiting to get to the pirate stuff but they have you stuck in a city in the opening hours and it's awwwwful. That part is just standard AC fare with janky controls and an open city who's only purpose is to provide a billion useless collectibles.

Samyy

Yeah I've played it some. It seems like best AC game but a 9 is too high IMO. Not with such bad stealth mechanics, stupid enemy AI and terrible combat.

Well you have to get those scoops and previews!

I've been able to stealth 90% of story missions no problem

Asd202

I have not played much but stealth felt lacking due to crappy enemy AI and how it's just just about hiding in convenient played bushes. It lacks tension and I didn't felt stealthy as I was holding the run button to get past them or get close for assassinations. It felt like playing a domino going from guy to guy and killing them :p. It's no MGS or even Batman Arkham games and Deus Ex.

Zia

In the past week alone Lococycle, Crimson Dragon, Deadfall Adventures and Star Wars: Tiny Death Star have received a 2, 5, 3 and 3, respectively. They just don't waste print space on that stuff anymore.

Derrick01

Banned

Why would you though? The stealth mechanics are so terrible and shallow that unless you're penalized with failure for not doing it I don't see why one would put themselves through such torture. It's a lot easier and less stressful to just fight people.

In the past week alone Lococycle, Crimson Dragon, Deadfall Adventures and Star Wars: Tiny Death Star have received a 2, 5, 3 and 3, respectively. They just don't waste print space on that stuff anymore.

That's probably true, but I didn't notice. Edge for me was never a website, and the magazine feels different nowadays.. Maybe they just decided to shift the controversy to the website and clean it up a bit, I don't know. Anyway..

Asd202

Why would you though? The stealth mechanics are so terrible and shallow that unless you're penalized with failure for not doing it I don't see why one would put themselves through such torture. It's a lot easier and less stressful to just fight people.

Yeah that's another good point. In other good stealth games the penalty is high and it creates tension. In AC games you can get discovered as you can just free run out or kill them all no problem.

That's probably true, but I didn't notice. Edge for me was never a website, and the magazine feels different nowadays.. Maybe they just decided to shift the controversy to the website and clean it up a bit, I don't know. Anyway..
If all you care about is reviews, it's very much a website first now.

Coxy

Nice review for tearaway, game seems awesome, two great games to sell the underdog systems this month

Top Bottom