• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge magazine confirms that No Man's Sky will be a timed PS4 exclusive.

Spaghetti

maybe reconsider getting day-one on pc in this case. being excluded from the immediate buzz and discussion for a game that's all about exploring and finding new stuff is pretty annoying and could be really damaging to the experience.

then again, at least console players will be acting as beta testers and getting a majority of the early/major bugs

BigDug13

damn, the double dipping on this game is strong

I'll gladly double dip if the game is good. PS4 at first for probably $15 or $20. Later on PC for sale price just to experience the possible modding that will happen. Should be interesting what thousands of modders can do to a game made by 10 people.

A10Pilot

PC is all I want. That goes for all these games being made today. I just love it. Like Elite. With TrackIR, Warthog and rudder pedals, I am having a blast. I'm even wiring my own switch boxes thanks to the Leo Bodnar boards to add more physical controls. So much fun guys!

Please please bring all these games to PC, too!!

Well, then Steam all the way,maybe in the future they could bring it to XO so more people could enjoy it.

The indie developers should bring their games on all platforms so they could get more economical benefits.

The choice is on your hand to play this game first in PS4, but you are choosing the steam for graphics/price as main priority over playing first experience in Console before PC. Seems like you are going wrong path for me over graphics/price instead of playing the game you like when its available as the developer said they are doing only PS4 version first for stable controls and frame rate.

But of course we all know that they said that for PR reasons; im sure that is going to be very good on PS4 but surely on pc is going to have at least the same stability and framerate of PS4. Its a very wise choice to wait for a game to drop on price or buy on a cheaper platform, i dont know how it is a wrong path.

Sayad

"I actually got in a bit of trouble for saying that we wanted the game to deel really console-y" says Murray. "We've always had PC in mind but in my head (console-y) means solid framerate and immediate controls"
If only more devs had heads like this guy's. :(

Solid framerate has always meant a framerate that doesn't fluctuate. In other words, locked at its target.

That's just wasteful though. As a dev you'd be building your game so that the hardware was maxed at the one instant in the game where there was the most going on; 60fps at the most computationally intensive point. For the other 99% of game you've got spare unused capacity and could be running at a higher framerate but choose not to to maintain consistency.

In general devs choose a middle ground where the framerate gets compromised in busy moments but overall the hardware gets utilised to its fullest.

Grief.exe

All exclusivity is timed you guys should know. Sometimes the time is indefinite depending on the deal, if ps4 get's to 70% of how ps2 did maybe we'll exclusives go the indefinite route.

That would be unfortunate. Hopefully Sony continues with the current status quo, where they are competing with Microsoft first and don't see the PC platform as a threat.

I will inevitably end up with a PS4, but not anytime soon and I would still, obviously, prefer to play on PC.

But PC doesn't do this either. I have no way to lock my framerates natively on my GPU or in my games. PC gaming suffers the same framerate issues that you are saying is exclusive to consoles.

I have no idea what you are referring to. Just about,every game I have ever played has an option to vsync the game to 60 FPS.

Even if you find an example that does not have that option, you can always force vsync through GPU driver software.

Timed exclusivity is so boring. And this game is truly an PC game and will shine particulary on PCs.

Has Sony no big exclusive games to offer? Even Nintendo managed to get a bunch of great and exclusive games from internal and external developers.

The first thing I thought about reading the "console" comment was 8-16 bit era consoles. Not sure if he meant it that way but there I would definately agree with him.

Maybe it's because I haven't used a console in a couple years, but "solid framerate" is far from the first thing that I imagine when thinking about console games.

So far all of the games I have played on my PS4 and Wii U have had great frame rates.

BF4, Killzone, inFamous, NintendoLand, Mario Kart, Mario 3d World, Resogun, etc.

BigDug13

That would be unfortunate. Hopefully Sony continues with the current status quo, where they are competing with Microsoft first and don't see the PC platform as a threat.

I will inevitably end up with a PS4, but not anytime soon and I would still, obviously, prefer to play on PC.

I have no idea what you are referring to. Just about,every game I have ever played has an option to vsync the game to 60 FPS.

Even if you find an example that does not have that option, you can always force vsync through GPU driver software.

I VSync to 60. I frequently fluctuate below that threshold. PC games have framerate fluctuations. What kind of hardware grunt do you need in order to get 1080p that never drops below 60 in open world games?

Timed exclusivity is so boring. And this game is truly an PC game and will shine particulary on PCs.

Has Sony no big exclusive games to offer? Even Nintendo managed to get a bunch of great and exclusive games from internal and external developers.

haven't been posting on gaf for a while but...i guess it's that time of the year.

Timed exclusivity is so boring.

Huh?

Your logic doesn't make any sense.

Sony has plenty of exclusives to offer and their first party studios are just getting started.
And as far as external development, they have Bloodborne coming, a Ratchet and Clank Remake, too.

These consoles haven't even been out 10 months and people are still clinging to "PS4 haz no gaemz".

Hoo-doo

Banned
maybe reconsider getting day-one on pc in this case. being excluded from the immediate buzz and discussion for a game that's all about exploring and finding new stuff is pretty annoying and could be really damaging to the experience.

then again, at least console players will be acting as beta testers and getting a majority of the early/major bugs

I agree, a game like this, where it's going to be about discovery, I can't imagine waiting for six months.
All mechanics have been discovered, all secrets are old hat, the wonder of finding actual new stuff and sharing it with the community gone. It's why Souls games are absolute day one games for me, and Destiny too. I don't ever want to miss out on that.

Can you refresh my memory, kind sir? Is there a thread I missed?
As I remember it, after the warm and successful reception of Joe Danger on PS3 Hello Games made a deal with Microsoft to get it over on to Xbox (with extra content). The deal seemed to include timed exclusivity for the sequel. Joe Danger XBLA bombed and the original fan base on PS3 was left waiting a month extra for the sequel to arrive.

I think Joe Danger The Movie bombed on XBLA too, I can't remember though. In any case it came to the EU as a PS+ freebie.

vpance

This is in return for Sony saving their studio from a flooding, right? I guess Sony is like the IMF, swooping in on countries after being ravaged by a disaster and getting them in debt.

I agree, a game like this, where it's going to be about discovery, I can't imagine waiting for six months.
All mechanics have been discovered, all secrets are old hat, the wonder of finding actual new stuff and sharing it with the community gone. It's why Souls games are absolute day one games for me, and Destiny too. I don't ever want to miss out on that.

Agree.
I understand that the galaxy map populates with content discovered by other players, so being there on day 1 and seeing the blank canvas starting to get filled in is going to be a one-time opportunity.

I guess that one day PC owners will be able to see what everyone else has discovered, but with higher levels of visual fidelity. Some consolation.

Grief.exe

I VSync to 60. I frequently fluctuate below that threshold. PC games have framerate fluctuations. What kind of hardware grunt do you need in order to get 1080p that never drops below 60 in open world games?

Turn down some settings? I generally start with AO, AA, things I'm not likely to notice while in motion.

Kssio_Aug

Sweet, I'm glad the exclusivity isn't permanent.

Im actually surprised to see that some people were considering No Mans Sky as a PS4 only game. I mean, I did not even know that the PC version wasnt confirmed.

I would like to see this game going to Xone also though. But Im gladly buying it for PS4 when it comes out! :)

Mr Vast

Banned
One less reason to get a ps4 then. Beside exclusives therecis nothing on the sony platform that hold a candel to pc. At this point less exclusive the better.

MMaRsu

Banned
I can't be the only one wishing for the ability to explore NMS world with friends, there is nothing to comprise just adding the ability to play the game with friends a co-op mode.

Actually that is not the point of the game.

One less reason to get a ps4 then. Beside exclusives therecis nothing on the sony platform that hold a candel to pc. At this point less exclusive the better.

wut. There is plenty on PS4 that holds a candle to PC. And the more exclusives for PS4 the better ( there will be plenty of first party exclusives ). BloodBorne will kick sales ass.

jond76

Banned
Has there ever been any game that has been exclusive to PS that also came to PC, that didn't also come to Xbox?

for example: Alan Wake, 360 and PC, but no PS.

Sony tends to keep their console exclusives restricted to PS platforms.

I could be wrong.

Bessy67

Has there ever been any game that has been exclusive to PS that also came to PC, that didn't also come to Xbox?

for example: Alan Wake, 360 and PC, but no PS.

Sony tends to keep their console exclusives restricted to PS platforms.

I could be wrong.
Haven't quite a few pub fund games eventually come to 360? I also could be wrong though.

Ultryx

"We've always had PC in mind but in my head (console-y) means solid frame rate and immediate controls."

Say what? Like you can't have these things on PC?

edgenmsgifplejo.gif

I laughed at people saying that the PC crowd will have everything already explored. Every starting world will be different, so if the devs are not lying even somebody that picks up the game a couple of years later will still manage to find uncharted worlds.

This console warrior bullshit is pathethic.

EDIT: I mean things like this:

I guess that one day PC owners will be able to see what everyone else has discovered, but with higher levels of visual fidelity. Some consolation.

ethomaz

Banned
"We've always had PC in mind but in my head (console-y) means solid frame rate and immediate controls."

Say what? Like you can't have these things on PC?
No. Like you have differents configs in PC and each gamer will have your own controller/framerate.

On console-y everybody will fave the same experience.

I think they will. PC is largely irrelevent to Sony as it won't affect them. There's no reason to keep games off the platform or pay for full exclusivity unless they're directly funding it.

But then again, if they don't, you then have people complaing (like some guy earlier in thid thread) about not having games to play on consoles since it's also on PC. So can you really blame Sony when they keep stuff off PC?

Well, then Steam all the way,maybe in the future they could bring it to XO so more people could enjoy it.

The indie developers should bring their games on all platforms so they could get more economical benefits.

But of course we all know that they said that for PR reasons; im sure that is going to be very good on PS4 but surely on pc is going to have at least the same stability and framerate of PS4. Its a very wise choice to wait for a game to drop on price or buy on a cheaper platform, i dont know how it is a wrong path.

On PS4 they have to deal with only one console with predetermined specs. On PC they have to work to make sure the game runs on a wide array of possible configurations. So who's to say that working on PS4 first might not be easier?

Hoo-doo

Banned
I laughed at people saying that the PC crowd will have everything already explored. Every starting world will be different, so if the devs are not lying even somebody that picks up the game a couple of years later will still manage to find uncharted worlds.

You think this game will genuinely have never-before-seen mechanics and content when it has already been out for six months and played by hundreds of thousands?
Please be joking.

Sure, the planets and creatures might be completely randomized and unique but the actual mechanics of the game will have been 100% explored and probably trivialized by then. There probably won't be hidden secrets to uncover either.
That's like saying a randomized seed for a Minecraft map is completely new content. It isn't.

Then again, PC gamers can benefit from the existence of user-made guides and tutorials for everything in the game.
To think that's just console warrior bullshit is like putting your fingers in your ears and going ' lalala'.

I've seen it happen on countless games. Riding the first wave of hype and exploration is the best.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Ah, the Dark Souls "play at launch or you may as well not play it at all" mentality. Nice to see that return despite it, you know, being proven to not matter.

Sorry, my post was intended to be more light-hearted than it is now that I reread it.

I'm happy to live and let live when it comes to people's gaming platform of choice, but some of the comments in this thread have really wound me up. Hello Games are taking flak just for having the temerity to release on PC after PS4.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
It mattered to me. Games like FEZ are the same.

Well if you deliberately interact with people who have played the game or seek out its secrets through Google I suppose it would hurt the experience somewhat. I decided not to buy Dark Souls on 360 because of the framerate + Live fees, and when I finally got to play it 10 months later I had nothing spoiled for me. No reason why this would be any different.

hwateber

If it's designed to run well as a console game, then that means I should have enough juice left in my rig to play this in VR right? RIGHT?!

You think this game will genuinely have never-before-seen mechanics and content when it has already been out for six months and played by hundreds of thousands?
Please be joking.

Sure, the planets and creatures might be completely randomized and unique but the actual mechanics of the game will have been 100% explored and probably trivialized by then. There probably won't be hidden secrets to uncover either.
That's like saying a randomized seed for a Minecraft map is completely new content. It isn't.

Then again, PC gamers can benefit from the existence of user-made guides and tutorials for everything in the game.
To think that's just console warrior bullshit is like putting your fingers in your ears and going ' lalala'.

Wait, so you are talking about mechanics, and not content? Because if so then yes, I still think it is console warrior bullshit. I do not care if people learn before myself that you can get a special kind of ship inside a volcano, for an example. That is trivial to me.

What you just said correspond to someone saying to me : "meh, I'm not gonna play that game, people already finished it". That is so petty that I can't even describe it.

Also, the way you describe the game make it looks small. It isn't. As long as the dev told the truth about what he is trying to do, there will be enough content to last a long time. I doubt, really really doubt that people will have 100% the game before it comes to the PC.

I've seen it happen on countless games. Riding the first wave of hype and exploration is the best.

More anecdotal information.

EDIT: Also, another point that I will make, that I haven't before: My experience is not diminished by what other people manage to do.

Dmented

Banned
I'm ok with waiting but I hope this "console-y" business doesn't mean framerate will be locked. Which I doubt though considering this will be a VR title. You'll want over 60fps.

Nillansan

Agree.
I understand that the galaxy map populates with content discovered by other players, so being there on day 1 and seeing the blank canvas starting to get filled in is going to be a one-time opportunity.

A one time opportunity? Do you honestly believe that this will be a cross platform title? If so, you got your head even further stuck up your arse than I was first lead to believe.

Mr Vast

Banned
Actually that is not the point of the game.

wut. There is plenty on PS4 that holds a candle to PC. And the more exclusives for PS4 the better ( there will be plenty of first party exclusives ). BloodBorne will kick sales ass.

Well you might like to pay 60$ for a game locked to a controller, a console that will one day be hard to find, locked 1080p and only 30 fps with some dips while I rather play the same game with better assets,aa,resolution up to my liking and framerate limited only to the hardware I own at the time. On top of being able to chose the controller I want for 20$ less.

When i get back in 10 year well the game will age better ith 4k or 8k rendering at 120hz. No I don't see anything the ps4 can offer to me that my pc can't do better. So yes i'm not keen on exclusives.

Bloodrage

Banned
This post doesn't even make sense. I can't tell if you're just butthurt about the PS4 having so many exclusives.

Top Bottom