• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge magazine confirms that No Man's Sky will be a timed PS4 exclusive.

BigDug13

Maybe it's because I haven't used a console in a couple years, but "solid framerate" is far from the first thing that I imagine when thinking about console games.

Are you talking about the 8 year old hardware that should have been ditched long ago? Because these newer consoles, especially the one being targeted by No Man's Sky, has most definitely not had framerate issues.

Maybe it's because I haven't used a console in a couple years, but "solid framerate" is far from the first thing that I imagine when thinking about console games.

And I haven't seen a single PC game in any of my buddies rigs (as powerful as they were) where frames didn't freeze.

Didn't they say during the VGX reveal that they could only work on one platform at a time and they couldn't do a simultaneous release.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Are you talking about the 8 year old hardware that should have been ditched long ago? Because these newer consoles, especially the one being targeted by No Man's Sky, has most definitely not had framerate issues.

Most games that target 60fps spend a lot of time in the 40s and 50s on both consoles. 30fps+ does not automatically mean a game doesn't have framerate issues.

given to what happened on xbox with joe danger, i doubt hello games were even considering the xbone. either ps4 or pc. ps4 was totally the winner, no doubt. new hardware, vgx, solo e3 stage. if it were on pc it might've been buried alongside all those games on greenlight.

Orayn

given to what happened on xbox with joe danger, i doubt hello games were even considering the xbone. either ps4 or pc. ps4 was totally the winner, no doubt. new hardware, vgx, solo e3 stage. if it were on pc it might've been buried alongside all those games on greenlight.

The hype for No Man's Sky is huge. They'd plow through Greenlight in hours if they actually submitted it, but chances are Valve would say "Yeah, you were onstage at E3 and everyone wants this. You're in."

Hoo-doo

Banned

Can you refresh my memory, kind sir? Is there a thread I missed?

Well, good to hear it'll be designed and built for the PS4's hardware first and foremost.

It won't be a port, nor will it be held back by "parity".

SerTapTap

Whoa - so no Xbox One version?

They couldn't plan on an Xbox One version anyway, they'd need to get around the ID@Xbox parity clause, which basically means anything that his PS first is a PS console exclusive by default until (and if) they get an exemption.

Bsigg12

Explains why on the Giantbomb E3 nightly show with Palmer from Oculus and Ryan from Hello Games, when Ryan was pressed if they would support the Oculus he didn't say anything. Hopefully the CV1 for the Oculus is out by the time this comes to PC because it seems like it'll be the way to play this fame if VR is a focus for them.

They couldn't plan on an Xbox One version anyway, they'd need to get around the ID@Xbox parity clause, which basically means anything that his PS first is a PS console exclusive by default until (and if) they get an exemption.

This game would easily be given an exception.

Bloodrage

Banned
Well, good to hear it'll be designed and built for the PS4's hardware first and foremost.

It won't be a port, nor will it be held back by "parity".
In other words, the best console version will be the PS4 version. Then again, no Xbone port info even in sight.

This is a huge gain for Sony.

BigDug13

Most games that target 60fps spend a lot of time in the 40s and 50s on both consoles. 30fps+ does not automatically mean a game doesn't have framerate issues.

And nearly every game on my PC won't be a consistent 60 either. I never have solid framerates on PC in open world games. It is always a fluctuating component due to how much is going on in those styles of game.

Another huge get() for Sony. They really have nailed pretty much each exclusive or major partnership so far.

Watch Dogs, Destiny, GTAV, Bloodborne, No Mans Sky, Transistor, The Witness, etc.

This is going to be a massive game that seems flat built for the SHARE functionality of the PS4. Game out exploring the universe and unlocking its secrets? Gonna be huge.

ethomaz

Banned
Another huge get() for Sony. They really have nailed pretty much each exclusive or major partnership so far.

Watch Dogs, Destiny, GTAV, Bloodborne, No Mans Sky, Transistor, The Witness, etc.

This is going to be a massive game that seems flat built for the SHARE functionality of the PS4. Game out exploring the universe and unlocking its secrets? Gonna be huge.
To be fair it is easy to get the better deals when you show a big difference in sales every quarter.

If I'm a dev (I'm trying guys) I will want my game in the best selling platform.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
And nearly every game on my PC won't be a consistent 60 either. I never have solid framerates on PC in open world games. It is always a fluctuating component due to how much is going on in those styles of game.

I'm not sure how that changes that games on next gen consoles do suffer from framerate problems.

Joe Danger was one of the games that was a XBL victim of Microsoft's "Parity Clause", where it insists on content and release date parity for multiplatform releases. So, it was a PSN exclusive for a while.

And that very same clause will probably be blocking No Man's Sky from the Xbox One/Xbox 360, since it'll be coming out on the PS4 first.

Dire

Hahaha boo yah! This was the one title I thought was console only that I was a bit sad I might not get to play.

Now I'm definitely anxious for more info on this game. It looks like it could be a lot of fun, but so far I still know very little about what the "game" actually is - only the tech and very broad concept behind it.

ethomaz

Banned
Joe Danger was one of the games that was a XBL victim of Microsoft's "Parity Clause", where it insists on content and release date parity for multiplatform releases. So, it was a PSN exclusive for a while.

And that very same clause will probably be blocking No Man's Sky from the Xbox One/Xbox 360, since it'll be coming out on the PS4 first.
I'm pretty sure after E3 MS already made a exception to No Man's Sky.

I guess this issue is more about small team working in a single platform first.

And I hope MS sticks to it. It's so hypocritical when they let certain games in and others out. It should be all or nothing, picking and choosing is almost insulting, especially for devs of smaller games.

That's pretty big for Sony. 2015 is looking quite excellent for PS4.

Yup, Sony has really laid the groundwork for an amazing year.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The only one coming off as salty here is you, friend.

And locking the frame rate to 30 FPS not only sucks, but it's HARDLY ever the case on consoles. Or was Darksouls 1 a locked 30 FPS on PS3? Borderlands 2? ANY game that wasn't a 2D indie game? Most games on consoles dropped frame rates into the teens on a constant basis.

Everything else you said about PC development is also demonstrably incorrect, btw. Of course there is a way to know how different hardware will perform. That's what abstraction API's are all about on PC (at least modern ones).

I was just reacting to the myriad of PC master race posts laughing at the notion that a console game could ever have a solid framerate and responsive controls. That condescending "console peasants, lol" attitude, like everything that isn't a PC is pathetic, gets pretty damn tiring. Most PS4 games I've played have been really solid at either 30 or 60 fps (all at 1080p), with great and responsive controls (except for ACIV I guess, but that's hardly the console's fault).

Sony pulling all the stops.

Destiny has exclusive advertisement and more content.

Far Cry 4 the same.

The Witness is timed exclusive.

No Man's Sky is timed exclusive.

They have Bloodborne early next year.

They can maintain their momentum, easily. And without any heavy hitters like Uncharted, Gran Turismo or God of War.

When those hit, Microsoft better have some very compelling games on the table.

The hype for No Man's Sky is huge. They'd plow through Greenlight in hours if they actually submitted it, but chances are Valve would say "Yeah, you were onstage at E3 and everyone wants this. You're in."

again they can only do one platform. if they chose pc they won't be at sony's e3 presser.
that was years ago. i think it had something to do with missing release dates or something.

Death2494

Phil Spencer tweeted about NMS, so I'm guessing it's also coming to Xbone.

wJidCyB.png

How do you draw that conclusion from that tweet? That aside, I think you might be correct. Same thing happen with Joe Danger. It eventually came to Xbox 360 after launching on PS3.

methane47

Probably grab it on steam then.

Starting to worry that I might play even less console games than I did last gen.

The game is coming out first on PS4... as a timed exclusive.
Then you lament that you might play less console games than you did last gen?

I'm confused by your comment. Are you saying that... If the game was NOT timed exclusive on PS4... that you would have bought it on PS4?

Uh greenlight does nothing but give a bit of advertisement for you game. It does not give you any sort of funding, and I'm sure they are not interested in putting out shit early access versions.

Sony are definitely helping fund them as they did in Joe Danger with their pub fund program.

The game is coming out first on PS4... as a timed exclusive.
Then you lament that you might play less console games than you did last gen?

I'm confused by your comment. Are you saying that... If the game was NOT timed exclusive on PS4... that you would have bought it on PS4?
I think ThoseDeafMutes is saying that if it was exclusive, not just a timed exclusive, he would get it on PS4.

Sony pulling all the stops.

Destiny has exclusive advertisement and more content.

Far Cry 4 the same.

The Witness is timed exclusive.

No Man's Sky is timed exclusive.

They have Bloodborne early next year.

They can maintain their momentum, easily. And without any heavy hitters like Uncharted, Gran Turismo or God of War.

When those hit, Microsoft better have some very compelling games on the table.

I mean its all a bunch if bullshit that should be stopped.

The Division has exclusive Xbox One content.

Assassins Creed Unity has exclusive Xbox One content.

Evolve too.

But MS will be fine they have a string stable of IPs on the way.

GoaThief

I thought this was known. I'd definitely like to see what PC players can do, if it's moddable.
I don't believe this is going to be a mod friendly game at all, it's all tied into a master server(s) and everyone is playing in the same universe.

What mods are people hoping for? I can see something like UI and higher resolution textures but that's about it.

EGOMON

Sony really pushed for this game i mean E3 exposure alone at Sony stage did wonders to this game am not surprised the devs prefering PS4

Evolve too.

In a perfect world, I know.

This has been how Sony and Microsoft have been trying to get the upper hand for years. Its not the perfect scenario, but at least Sony has invested in a fantastic stable of first party studios, and not relied solely on this type of strategies.

Now that they have an advantage in market share (one that's growing every day), this sort of deals have become that much easier for Sony to negotiate. And they have been smart with that advantage.

Microsoft when all in with Titanfall, which didn't pay out like they envisioned. Sony has not invested as much as MS did (going as far as securing exclusivity) but have secured the mindshare of the consumer when it pertains to the key games of the start of this generation. Watch Dogs was a huge success and Destiny is poised to be the biggest new IP as of now.

soqquatto

Open world games on every device in existence suffers framerate fluctuations. The only way to cap it to 60 is to have it running at 80 FPS.

the real meaning in "solid framerate" means that everyone [on that platform] will experience the game in the same way. if they tweak a location to be sure it will be X framerate on a console, they'll be pretty sure everyone owning that console will have the same value for X, while on PC this is simply not possible because everyone has its own PC with its different configuration.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Open world games on every device in existence suffers framerate fluctuations. The only way to cap it to 60 is to have it running at 80 FPS.

I still don't understand where you're going with this. You said games on next gen consoles don't suffer framerate problems but they do, and in games that aren't open world no less.

the real meaning in "solid framerate" means that everyone [on that platform] will experience the game in the same way. if they tweak a location to be sure it will be X framerate on a console, they'll be pretty sure everyone owning that console will have the same value for X, while on PC this is simply not possible because everyone has its own PC with its different configuration.

Solid framerate has always meant a framerate that doesn't fluctuate. In other words, locked at its target.

Evolve too.

MS should have gotten Halo 5 out earlier. It's the only game they have that has system selling power (other than mayve Gears which is years out and which Sony may counter with GT).

The exclusive content for MS won't do much as those games will still sell best on PS4 (see for example CoD and BF4 last year).

BigDug13

I still don't understand where you're going with this. You said games on next gen consoles don't suffer framerate problems but they do, and in games that aren't open world no less.

Solid framerate has always meant a framerate that doesn't fluctuate. In other words, locked at its target.

But PC doesn't do this either. I have no way to lock my framerates natively on my GPU or in my games. PC gaming suffers the same framerate issues that you are saying is exclusive to consoles.

Grief.exe

Yes, Grim Fandango will be PS4, Vita and PC exclusive since Sony helped Schafer to acquire the rights to the game, with financial assistance, from Disney.

It's basically Sony version of Bayonetta 2 just that it's also getting released on PC for some reason.

Good chance Tim pushed for the PC's inclusion in the contract. Hard to justify alienating the original fanbase.

ShinMaruku

All exclusivity is timed you guys should know. Sometimes the time is indefinite depending on the deal, if ps4 get's to 70% of how ps2 did maybe we'll exclusives go the indefinite route.

All exclusivity is timed you guys should know. Sometimes the time is indefinite depending on the deal, if ps4 get's to 70% of how ps2 did maybe we'll exclusives go the indefinite route.

Yeh Warframe was timed too and we are almost a year out now and still no X1 version. If it takes a year or more for No Mans Sky to hit the Ps4 it won't matter. Anyone who will have really wanted to play the game badly will have gotten the PS4 version by then.

I don't think this is contractual though just them not having the resources to do both versions at the same time and working with a closed piece of hardware would be much easier then one where you have to compensate for 20 different architectures and chipsets.

I would guess 6 months for the PC version

Top Bottom