• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge magazine confirms that No Man's Sky will be a timed PS4 exclusive.

Maybe it's because I haven't used a console in a couple years, but "solid framerate" is far from the first thing that I imagine when thinking about console games.

They all do the same thing. There are just minor differences.

That isn't why your analogy made no sense. If you insist on sticking with the shoes analogy, it would be more like a runner sponsored by Adidas talking about how they love wearing Nike's too. And even then, it's still not a good analogy; while people buy the shoes (console) because of an endorsement from the runner (developer), they don't really buy anything from the runner.

I mean, I get what you were trying to say but your analogy was a massive wtf.

Thought this was already known?

Anyway, this does somewhat confirm it will probably (likely) remain a console exclusive though, so that's going to suck for X1 only owners.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Maybe it's because I haven't used a console in a couple years, but "solid framerate" is far from the first thing that I imagine when thinking about console games.

Tbf, that's more of a developer thing. You can get solid framerates on console as long as you use the hardware responsibly (why that's not often done is another thing entirely).

But it's certainly a dumb thing to say considering PC is generally considered the place for good framerates. Probably one of the worst dev quotes we've had in awhile.

Dragon

Banned
On the occasions that your hardware isn't up to the task of running a game at a solid frame rate you can... lower the grpahics options. On console, you can... enjoy the "cinematic" framerate, and with cinematic I mean 24 FPS.

Uh, that was my point, my hardware was perfectly fine, many people had the same issue I had with that game. Seriously did you read what I wrote?

You're really coming off smug. Not sure if you're self-aware to realize this.

Glad this is coming to PC, hope this works out well for them. I can tolerate waiting a bit for the PC version, they're a small team so it makes sense, plus presumably the PS4 sales can go to the development of the other platforms, so provided it doesn't flop, it should be fine.

onQ123

People complaining about it being timed exclusive fail to realize that this is a small team making this game & focusing on one platform at a time will let them make a better game.

People complaining about it being timed exclusive fail to realize that this is a small team making this game & focusing on one platform at a time will let them make a better game.

Yeah isn't the team like 5 people or something crazy? Good luck to them I say.

Quite so.

Oddly many people seem to take it quite personally and think the developer's been paid off to delay a PC version. Funny old world.

Krakn3Dfx

If this game is half of what I'm hoping it to be, I'll end up double dipping on it, PS4 and then PC whenever that hits down the road.

I think this game might turn out to be a major disappointment. Procedural generation can only take you so far, it might be a very shallow experience. Hoping the opposite though.

Didn't we already know this? They're a small studio so it makes sense. And I'm sure MS will be quick to offer them an exemption from their bs parity clause. Unless it's peemanently console exclusive which might happen. We already knew PC would come later (at least I swear I read or heard this before somewhere). I'll be there day 1 on PS4.

They would have to do away with the clause. Couldn't it be held against them in a court of law by another studio if they allow one studio but not the other?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
If you are a small studio and have to pick a console, the PS4 is the easy choice. Easier to develop for and a larger and growing faster install base. The only reason to ever become XB1 only is hats o' money.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
That isn't why your analogy made no sense. If you insist on sticking with the shoes analogy, it would be more like a runner sponsored by Adidas talking about how they love wearing Nike's too. And even then, it's still not a good analogy; while people buy the shoes (console) because of an endorsement from the runner (developer), they don't really buy anything from the runner.

I mean, I get what you were trying to say but your analogy was a massive wtf.

It's simple. Adidas make running shoes, as do many other companies. Now say there's a marathon coming up soon and Adidas are the title sponsor. Sure, they can't force all the runners to wear Adidas, but you can be damn sure that all promotional materials will only mention Adidas shoes.

My point being, grim fandango hd probably wouldn't be happening at this point in time without Sony's involvement, so I don't see why anyone would get worked up about lack of communications with regards to other platforms. Besides, Tim Schafer himself said "playstation first, then we'll talk about other platforms" the day the game was announced.

Krejlooc

Banned
Hearing the way they've spoken, I don't know if this is really a timed exclusive or more that they don't believe the PC version will be ready by the PS4 version's launch. Either way, the effect is the same.

If you are a small studio and have to pick a console, the PS4 is the easy choice. Easier to develop for and a larger and growing faster install base. The only reason to ever become XB1 only is hats o' money.

Exactly. I can't blame them, it's the choice that makes sense

Mr-Joker

Banned
I thought Sony made this clear at E3 when they said "console début" this suggest that it's a timed exclusive until the PC version get released.

What we don't know if the PS4 will be the only console it get released on but considering that Joe Danger and Joe Danger 2: The Movie got released for the 360, I am pretty sure that it will get ported sometime down the line.

Is it not? Has that been confirmed?

Yes, Grim Fandango will be PS4, Vita and PC exclusive since Sony helped Schafer to acquire the rights to the game, with financial assistance, from Disney.

It's basically Sony version of Bayonetta 2 just that it's also getting released on PC for some reason.

Well they are a small team and all of their games have had staggered platform releases because of this.

Once they can be honest about it and not have another Joe Danger 2 situation then its ok.

Would actually be a interesting game on multipal platforms. Imagine if each platform had a different universe seed so each platform had its own universe.

Anteater

This seems to be pretty reasonable for smaller studios, it's much better to focus on one platform first than spreading their work force thin, also it means the later port probably would have more care put into it. Nothing different than all the indie games/updates that are out on steam first.

Imagine if each platform had a different universe seed so each platform had its own universe.

That would be interesting, but Hello Games would then need to be able to provide evidence to prove that the PC universe was objectively better than the console ones. Otherwise, they would have been money-hatted, evil, etc.

Azriell

I'm pretty disappointed that the PC release is coming later, but maybe I'll have a reason to dust off my PS4. Even more likely, I'll just wait for PC.

No Man's Sky has got me more excited than anything big for a long time, which is ironic since it's made by indies. With the possible exception of CoD Advance Warfare, I don't think there's any other console/PC releases I'm excited for this year outside of Nintendo releases.

Okay Solaire, your analogy is bulletproof and not at all stupid.

That would be interesting, but Hello Games would then need to be able to provide evidence to prove that the PC universe was objectively better than the console ones. Otherwise, they would have been money-hatted, evil, etc.

This is laughable in light of the fact that any dev who says there is parity between the Xbone and PS4 versions of their games gets ripped a new arse.

onQ123

Even being a PS4 fanboy, I dont like timed or full exclusivity for anything.

What if a dev wanted to make a game that needed 800GFLOPS of compute to complete their vision? With the PS4 they could use 800GFLOPS of GPGPU compute & still have 1TFLOPS for fixed function graphic rendering, But on the Xbox One they will only have 500GFLOPS left for rendering making the dev have to cut back on their vision.

What if a dev had something special that they wanted to do with cloud computing that would make their game special? With Xbox One MS is giving them the severs to do this would you want them to take it out just so they can make the game for PS4?

ethomaz

Banned
stable controls and framerate: let me laugh, the pc version will have all of these and better
That is his point... the small team can't work in two versions at the same time and the PC with different hardware configurations will make the optimization work harder... so make it works in a stable controls and framerate on PS4 for now is easy for the team.

It is a Indie team... not a big one.

There are games and games... some have shit framerate and others note.... the last two I played have really solid framerate (Ground Zeroes and TLOU).

Furyous

Does this mean No Man's Sky is a console exclusive?

Either way, this is a clear win for PS4 owners. This game is built from the ground up for your platform. Obviously PC will look better due to all of the available optimizations.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
That is his point... the small team can't work in two versions at the same time and the PC with different hardware configurations will make the optimization work harder... so make it works in a stable controls and framerate on PS4 for now is easy for the team.

It is a Indie team... not a big one.

That's not a point at all. It's his definition of what "console-y" means.

E92 M3

I CANNOT wait until they show more gameplay videos and give us a launch date. Endless exploration is so fascinating to me. Don't even care about gameplay that much. Also, I wish it would be confirmed whether or not online is necessary.

ethomaz

Banned
That's not a point at all. It's his definition of what "console-y" means.
I think he means "console-y" due the fixed hardware to work... he even said PC can be "console-y" (same hardware configuration)... it is just easy to the team work in PC-like fixed hardware than optimize for a lot of configuration hardware.

Forget consoles... think like they choose to make the game run in a specific CPU and GPU hardware on PC first... it will be easy to optimize for it... after that they will look for other configuration of CPU/GPU.

That is what I got from the "console-y".

Nzyme32

Timed exclusivity is a waste of money IMO. I'm disappointed Sony is following that route lately.

Actually judging by this thread, there are a fair few people that are so impatient that they are happy to pick it up on the PS4 just for the reason that they want to play it asap. In which case, it's sales from those guys.

Personally, I think it is absolutely pointless, but that is coming from someone who is a PC gamer who purchasing habits are based on patience and purchasing games that I'm not sure about during sales versus those that I know I will like and purchase dependant on my finances.

To some people here exclusives are all that matter and even timed exclusivity is something that bestows importance and is marketed as such. Each to their own I guess

Top Bottom