• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge magazine confirms that No Man's Sky will be a timed PS4 exclusive.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
In your own post you mention additional steps are needed at times.

Sure, except that it's rare and it's a <5 minute fix.

Even so, I would take a day 1 driver update to fix performance problems on PC rather than wait weeks or months for a console version fix. Or worse, never get one.

Aim_Ed

How will you mod it? Its going to be online only with shared server interactions. I am sure they are going to block anyone using mods unless its wow style ui mods.

When there's a will, there's a way. Quite honestly, communities tend to strive more on PC and run much longer than they do on consoles. I'm really interested in seeing how this game ends up on both the PS4 and PC. Doubtful that they come simultaneously now though, but i'd be damned if I said I wasn't excited for the PC release.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Odd, this game would have made a lot of sense as an Early Access game with strong coverage from the usual Youtube/Streaming favorites. I guess there are certain incentives to go this way though.

Still better than announcing your game on PC disappearing for a while and then unannouncing your game on PC permanently.

ampere

If I get it, it'll be for PC. Though I'm cautiously watching this game since it reminds me of Spore in the sense that it's such an amazing tech demo, but is it fun? Spore was not fun. Sure all this stuff is procedurally generated, but what are the goals? Pure sandbox just do what you want?

RPGam3r

Sure, except that it's rare and it's a <5 minute fix.

Even so, I would take a day 1 driver update to fix performance problems on PC rather than wait weeks or months for a console version fix. Or worse, never get one.

I'm only commenting on ease of use part of this conversation, any other preferences you have are fine with me.

Timed exclusivity is a waste of money IMO. I'm disappointed Sony is following that route lately.

Indeed, I hate this timed exclusivity crap. They use vague terms like "exclusive console debut" which is annoying and confuse people about its state. Either do full exclusivity or don't. If the games you advertise are coming out on other systems, I want clarity about it. Grim Fandango devs announcing the pc port a month day and date later was ridiculous. It's like Sony's even putting timed exclusivity on announcements. I don't want Sony selling us multiplatform or pc/ps4 titles as "games I can get first on PS4". This is so Playstation-unlike. I hope Sony stops pursuing this strategy which MS used last gen, PS4 is becoming a "me too" place instead of being the only place to play them.

Zia

Still better than announcing your game on PC disappearing for a while and then unannouncing your game on PC permanently.

RIP, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, My Most Anticipated PC Game 2011-2013

Getting it the moment it comes out on PS4, but still.

I'd assumed that this was the case since they started getting cagey about the launch platforms, but the more they talk about their reasons the less I believe it's about resources rather than Sony supporting them financially. I'll still get the PC version once it's out (if it lives up to the promises), but I don't care for exclusivity arrangements regardless of who is making them, or whether they are timed or perpetual.

Wereroku

Indeed, I hate this timed exclusivity crap. They use vague terms like "exclusive console debut" which is annoying and confuse people about its state. Either do full exclusivity or don't. If the games you advertise are coming out on other systems, I want clarity about it. Grim Fandango devs announcing the pc port a month day and date later was ridiculous. It's like Sony's even putting timed exclusivity on announcements. I don't want Sony selling us multiplatform or pc/ps4 titles as "games I can get first on PS4". This is so Playstation-unlike. I hope Sony stops pursuing this strategy which MS used last gen, PS4 is becoming a "me too" place instead of being the only place to play them.

Well to be fair in Grim Fandango's case it is a console exclusive because sony doesn't consider pc a console and it is never coming to XBO.

mejin

I think we are getting more games to play with this approach and I can't understand how is this bad. They do have exclusives coming so I don't see any problem.

Derp

Please god, let there be mod support.
Just... Just imagine the possibilities...

These were their words:
“We don’t know yet whether we’ll allow mods or provide tools to support them,"
“Our focus, though, is on features that support what for us the game is about – exploring a vast universe. That might inherently involve mods – we’ll know more as we continue making the game.”

There is hope!

Kinthalis

Banned
Just... Just imagine the possibilities...

These were their words:
“We don’t know yet whether we’ll allow mods or provide tools to support them,"
“Our focus, though, is on features that support what for us the game is about – exploring a vast universe. That might inherently involve mods – we’ll know more as we continue making the game.”

There is hope!

Not is Sony sees mod support as a ding on their version of the game...

People have ridiculously high expectations for this game. I can't wait to see the fallout when its not everything people are imaging or dreaming it could be.

shandy706

This is one of those games that gets me excited on the potential it may have.

I'll wait for the PC version...which means I get to see early impressions without committing. Hope it turns out great.

Dragon

Banned
RIP, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, My Most Anticipated PC Game 2011-2013

Getting it the moment it comes out on PS4, but still.

I don't see the relevance of Rapture honestly, that game is being funded by Sony last time I checked.

HAHAHAHAHA!!

While consoles have had issues, especially last gen, in terms of framerates, games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution had bizarre performance issues in places that have made me never assume just because it's on PC it's going to be perfect. Like what the fuck, I had a great setup and Detroit would just stutter all the effin time.

Kinthalis

Banned
This describes every game ever made before we had more details.

Not really. I think the majority of games have a baseline that we all understand and expect. You know what you're getting in a God of War game. Sure ther emight be suprises here and there, but it's going to involve hacking and slashing through a ton of enemies on a linear path.

This.... this is a lot like a Spore. The game is literally promising to allow you explore an entire galaxy. That is some serious promise.

People have ridiculously high expectations for this game. I can't wait to see the fallout when its not everything people are imaging or dreaming it could be.

Always someone that has to post this in a No Man's Sky thread.

Not really. I think the majority of games have a baseline that we all understand and expect. You know what you're getting in a God of War game. Sure ther emight be suprises here and there, but it's going to involve hacking and slashing through a ton of enemies on a linear path.

This.... this is a lot like a Spore. The game is literally promising to allow you explore an entire galaxy. That is some serious promise.

There are already games and software where you can do this. I don't see why that portion of the game can't deliver when it's procedurally generated.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
MS have been letting games through that clause on a case by case basis it appears. I wouldn't be surprised if this would be a case where it could come through.

That clause is still fucking stupid.

Yeah, it is stupid. There are plenty of examples of Microsoft ignoring their own parity clause when it suits them. Tbh, I'm really surprised "good guy" Phil Spencer hasn't axed it.

I wish Sony would allow developers to speak about their PC versions. This timed exclusivity of once PC-only third-party games (don't be surprised of Grim Fandango is forced into an exclusivity window) feels really insidious (and useless).

From what I heard, Sony's Adam Boyes was fairly instrumental in making the grim fandango remake happen in the first place. What do you want? Adidas to put a disclaimer in their advertisements saying that Nike also make training shoes?

Kinthalis

Banned
I don't see the relevance of Rapture honestly, that game is being funded by Sony last time I checked.

While consoles have had issues, especially last gen, in terms of framerates, games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution had bizarre performance issues in places that have made me never assume just because it's on PC it's going to be perfect. Like what the fuck, I had a great setup and Detroit would just stutter all the effin time.

On the occasions that your hardware isn't up to the task of running a game at a solid frame rate you can... lower the grpahics options. On console, you can... enjoy the "cinematic" framerate, and with cinematic I mean 24 FPS.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Strange. In my head (console-y) means shitty framerate and sluggish, laggy, imprecise controls.

On console they can lock the framerate down to whatever they feel is right (with enough optimization), and it will run exactly like that for everyone. On PC there's no way to know how it will run for a certain person (hint: those of you who have monster rigs and include yourselves in the silly "master race" are in the minority). Similarly, on console they can make the game feel really good on the controller they know everyone will be using.

Don't know why this shit is so hard for some of you to get. But I suppose you're just really salty that your master machine doesn't get this game day one.

KoopaTheCasual

Sucks for you.

Still even so, I'd imagine you still USE a PC, no?
Yes, I use a lightbook for work and watching my shows. Screen is not big enough for me to enjoy couch gaming.
Your post seems to be implying that updating drivers is NOT that easy, and if you haven't gamed on PC in a long time...well, I don't know why you would do that.
I wasn't trying to imply anything. I was asking a serious question about a subject I don't have much to any knowledge in.

Kinthalis

Banned
Always someone that has to post this in a No Man's Sky thread.

There are already games and software where you can do this. I don't see why that portion of the game can't deliver when it's procedurally generated.

Not to this level of fidelity and complexity. They showed life forms which are supposed to variate from system to system.

I'm not saying thsesguys can't pull it off, but I would deifnitely agree that this is outside the scope of your typical game, at least in terms of expectations, especially for an indie dev.

Zia

From what I heard, Sony's Adam Boyes was fairly instrumental in making the grim fandango remake happen in the first place. What do you want? Adidas to put a disclaimer in their advertisements saying that Nike also make training shoes?

I think you're confused. I'm not talking about corporations announcing a game for another corporation's platform, I'm talking about corporation(s) allowing developers to talk about their multiplatform games for multiple platforms, particularly when they were first announced as being for those other platforms.

jaaz

This is a very small studio. It's not like they can work on 3 versions at the same time anyways. So it's silly to assume that Sony paid to keep this off of the Xbone for a while. More likely Sony is supporting or funding their efforts, which actually gets the game done and into our hands. You know, kinda like MS with Titanfall, except that Xbone owners will actually get to play No Man's Sky at some point.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
I think you're confused. I'm not talking about corporations announcing a game for another corporation's platform, I'm talking about corporation(s) allowing developers to talk about their multiplatform games for multiple platforms, particularly when they were first announced as being for those other platforms.

And like I said, a Sony employee was instrumental in making this thing happen in the first place. It's not unreasonable for the company who spent the time, effort and money making sure this happened in the first place to want their moment in the sun. And I'm not confused. I think you didn't understand my analogy.

Not to this level of fidelity and complexity. They showed life forms which are supposed to variate from system to system.

I'm not saying thsesguys can't pull it off, but I would deifnitely agree that this is outside the scope of your typical game, at least in terms of expectations, especially for an indie dev.

Eh, I think the lifeforms are going to be more in line with Borderlands gun system. Adding different components to create different animals. The scope certainly is huge, but we've seen games that have these kinds of systems already in place. People seem to forget Minecraft was made by one guy. This is more of an expansion of that.

And like I said, a Sony employee was instrumental in making this thing happen in the first place. It's not unreasonable for the company who spent the time, effort and money making sure this happened in the first place to want their moment in the sun. And I'm not confused. I think you didn't understand my analogy.

It might have just been a really bad analogy.

Kinthalis

Banned
On console they can lock the framerate down to whatever they feel is right (with enough optimization), and it will run exactly like that for everyone. On PC there's no way to know how it will run for a certain person (hint: those of you who have monster rigs and include yourselves in the silly "master race" are in the minority). Similarly, on console they can make the game feel really good on the controller they know everyone will be using.

Don't know why this shit is so hard for some of you to get. But I suppose you're just really salty that your master machine doesn't get this game day one.

The only one coming off as salty here is you, friend.

And locking the frame rate to 30 FPS not only sucks, but it's HARDLY ever the case on consoles. Or was Darksouls 1 a locked 30 FPS on PS3? Borderlands 2? ANY game that wasn't a 2D indie game? Most games on consoles dropped frame rates into the teens on a constant basis.

Everything else you said about PC development is also demonstrably incorrect, btw. Of course there is a way to know how different hardware will perform. That's what abstraction API's are all about on PC (at least modern ones).

Kinthalis

Banned
Eh, I think the lifeforms are going to be more in line with Borderlands gun system. Adding different components to create different animals. The scope certainly is huge, but we've seen games that have these kinds of systems already in place. People seem to forget Minecraft was made by one guy. This is more of an expansion of that.

The minecraft that was released by one guy is NOT the minecraft of today. The original release was pretty bare bones.

Top Bottom