• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM 216 - June 2007

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Is Donahoe the only Michael that reviews games for EGM? He's the one who gave Etrain Odyssey the 4? :lol

Thoren

Banned
Aww now I really want to read the full Sakaguchi interview. His interviews are great, he's very straight to the point and opinionated but not an asshole like some developers end up as coming across.

BboyDubC

AntMurda said:
Dude. That fully qualifies itself as a DOA sequel. Or do we live on different planets? I like the DOA series but I wish the emphasis would not be about featuring giant boobed japanese girls. Give me more ninjas, bad ass dudes with deeper fighting systems. I can settle with 3 giant boobed chicks... but 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, is just ridiculous.

Ever think maybe the size of their boobs isn't the focus, but their fighting style? Durrh... @_@ Besides, their boobs all around aren't that big in DOA4. 4 of the girls have just moderate sizes. 3 of the girls are quite big (still reasonable imo), and 1 is in the middle of those two.

Azrael

Not that a PSN version of Mega Man Powered Up wouldn't be awesome, but I have a hard time believing Capcom would do it after how badly the PSP version sold.

sangreal

Kafel said:
Did you guys discussed what is announced for the next issue ?

( Does EGM tease like Edge ?? )

The page I linked to in the first post says next month's cover is Bioshock. Other than that, I don't think there is a preview yet.

RyuHayate

Wario64 said:
It's Mushroom Kingdom Hearts. Did everyone forget the annoucement in the EGM issue a couple months back?

Yeah, the script for the game was leaked just a few hours ago, too!

MAJOR SPOILER!

King Mickey ends up being in another castle

Well he did create their cash cow, saved them from certain bankruptcy, and got fired. He's most likely bitter.

SantaC

Kiriku said:
Nice conclusion, except that it's not milky. Where did you get that from anyway? It's probably Michael Donahoe, if you meant Michael.

ah same person who gave BKO 4.5 actually. Well my point stands. It's not that you like RPGs on a nintendo platform anyway.

buckfutter said:
When did Sakaguchi grow a pair of balls? He really wants to stick it to SE these days.
It's not like he can do much more than use his words. The guy is kinda pathetic with all the trash talking and no show when it comes to pushing RPGs forward.

Ikael

The guy is kinda pathetic with all the trash talking and no show when it comes to pushing RPGs forward.

I think that we should reserve judgement until Lost odyssey and ASH are released, shouldn't we? Not to mention that Blue Dragoon, while be as old school as it gets was a good game, as far as I know.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
farnham said:
A Hearty Console

means no DS...

but what console is Hearty

I would guess PS3..

As has been said, there are many definitions of "hearty". For example, I always think of "hearty" as healthy and strong. And so which system has the healthiest sales?

And about EO review. If they are going to give reviewers such little space, there needs to be a place either in the magazine, or on the website that lists each reviewer and the kinds of genres they like and hate. It's like if I reviewed a Madden game. I'd have to point out there was just too much football in it, and give it a 3.

Ynos Yrros said:
It's not like he can do much more than use his words. The guy is kinda pathetic with all the trash talking and no show when it comes to pushing RPGs forward.

Friend of your's Ynos Yrros?

800px-OBCreature-troll.jpg

Azrael said:
Not that a PSN version of Mega Man Powered Up wouldn't be awesome, but I have a hard time believing Capcom would do it after how badly the PSP version sold.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Come on, Capcom. Don't make the same mistake, AGAIN.

I don't care what system I'm playing a game on(Heck, I originally bought the PSP just for MM: Powered Up, and the hope for others like it), but I would like to see an original Mega Man game released on a system where it'll actually sell reasonably well.(hint, hint!)

Y'know...because I would like to see my Mega Man 2 and 3 remakes come to fruition one of these days.

But the way Capcom just likes to shoot themselves in the foot, it seems likely that that will never happen.

Still, it's another Mega Man 1 remake, and I guess I can't complain. And if it's true, it's good news for fans of the PS3 download service.

RyuHayate

SonicMegaDrive said:
But the way Capcom just likes to shoot themselves in the foot, it seems likely that that will never happen.

They've been making smart decisions lately, so that's a good sign.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
SantaC said:
ah same person who gave BKO 4.5 actually. Well my point stands. It's not that you like RPGs on a nintendo platform anyway.

Yeah...what? Are you accusing me of not liking RPGs only because they appear on Nintendo platforms? I hope I just misunderstood that part.

ZeoVGM

Banned
If Capcom seriously just ports Powered Up to PSN and that's it.. ugh.

If they do that and if they continue the remakes, they need to be on Live Arcade too.

Personally, I'd rather just have them continue the series of remakes on Wii for budget prices and put the original non-remakes of the classic and X series on Live Arcade and PSN.

jett

D-Member
GreenGlowingGoo said:
As has been said, there are many definitions of "hearty".

While you people were fighting over the definition of hearty, you dudes forgot the definition of an EGM rumor: made up bullshit.

Jahaya

Banned
6.8 said:
Well he did create their cash cow, saved them from certain bankruptcy, and got fired. He's most likely bitter.

Blame it on his bastardized FF movie that SE and Sony paid for.

If they're going to port anything then port Power Stone collection. Throw in online play and I'll be there in a heartbeat. Although I'd still buy it without online play.

sangreal said:
EndWar
-Directed by Michael de Plater (formerly of Creative Assembly, where he worked on Total War)
-Inspired by... Madden
-No explicit multiplayer or single-player modes. 1 global campaign map for both game types
-Three factions: U.S. Joint Strike Force, European Enforcers, and Russian Spetsnaz
-Persistent Risk-like online campaign map. Everyone plays in this single, global campaign. The war ends when one faction conquers the majority of territories and then a new campaign starts.
-Each campaign can be different. They give the example that if America is conquered in one campaign, they can start the next campaign "to liberate U.S. soil with a massive new 'D-Day' landing on the East coast."
-"[The Battle for Middle-earth II] was a test case for exactly what we didn't want to do" (Referring to them taking a traditional PC RTS and re-mapping the controls"
-"The first thing we did was ban any reference to the PC. We were determined to design it from the ground up for console."
-Camera is always attached to a unit. The idea is to remove the god-like vision found in RTS games by having a more realistic line of sight.
-You can, however, toggle a full battlefield map where you can give your orders.
-Voice-command system that can control every aspect of the game
-7 unit types: Riflemen, Engineers, Tanks, Transports, Helicopters, Artillery, and Command Vehicles
-Limit of 12 units/squads in battle
-Unit costs are all equal
-No "magic", meaning for something to get to the battlefield it needs to be delivered, etc.
-"Everything is destructible"
-On units: "It's a battalion that you own. You can personalize it. You can customize it. You can choose its motto and its heraldry. You can change its compositions and abilities.
-If your soldiers die, they are gone for good along with their upgrades. If they live they gain experience & medals.
-"Nothing in EndWar seems more detailed and obsessed over than the surprisingly varied way soldiers act (and react) on the battlefield."
-For example: "Squadrons of heavily armed soldiers, when ordered to a cluster of firebombed cars, will automatically take cover in different ways, periodically taking potshots at the enemy through windows and over hoods. If a soldier gets shot, one of his squad mates will drag him back to safety"
Interesting.

It may have been said before in this thread, but this sounds like a mix of Full Spectrum Warrior and Chrome Hounds' online mode. Me likey.

Any screenshots in the mag btw?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
SonicMegaDrive said:

I don't care what system I'm playing a game on(Heck, I originally bought the PSP just for MM: Powered Up, and the hope for others like it), but I would like to see an original Mega Man game released on a system where it'll actually sell reasonably well.(hint, hint!)

Y'know...because I would like to see my Mega Man 2 and 3 remakes come to fruition one of these days.

Still, it's another Mega Man 1 remake, and I guess I can't complain. And if it's true, it's good news for fans of the PS3 download service.

Why don't you think it won't sell well on PSN? I know I'll buy it if it is released. Personally I think it would be great if it was on the Wii and PSN, it would sell a lot on those 2 consoles.

Thoren

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:

He can do much more. He can make fantastic games. And not every game must be about pushing a genre in a certain direction, some of us like the old fashioned Final Fantasy style games that are becoming scarce. Perhaps if Mistwalker was making PS3 games you would be singing songs of praise :lol

MoxManiac

SonicMegaDrive said:

I think the main reason it went to PSP (aside from the fact that supposedly Capcom loves the PSP, or loved it at the time) was because it had a good medium for the level creating and sharing made possible by memory sticks. Why DS could do the wifi sharing part, saved levels would have to be stored in an eeprom or battery backup. There just isn't enough space to do that. PSN (and Live arcade, why it's not going there too I dunno) is a good fit as well due to the built in hard drive.

neojubei said:
Why don't you think it won't sell well on PSN? I know I'll buy it if it is released. Personally I think it would be great if it was on the Wii and PSN, it would sell a lot on those 2 consoles.

I think this simply because of how much MM:pU flopped on the PSP.

That, and Mega Man Anniversary collection on the Gamecube outsold the versions on PS2 and Xbox. That leads me to believe that Mega Man(especially the original series) does better on Nintendo consoles.

But then, I have no idea how successful the PSN service really is. If the game comes out and a million people download it, pompting Capcom to make a MM2 and 3 remake, then great. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

guidop

Rice-Eater said:
If they're going to port anything then port Power Stone collection. Throw in online play and I'll be there in a heartbeat. Although I'd still buy it without online play.

yes please

the team ninja rumor is interesting

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Wario64 said:
It's Mushroom Kingdom Hearts. Did everyone forget the annoucement in the EGM issue a couple months back?
Holy shit I forgot about that, glad I got my Wii yesterday!

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Sakaguchi's smack talk is weak as hell. He's really high on those MS cheques for sure.

This issue is now available for download from Zinio (free! :D ).
Despite the lacklustre games up for review, it's a pretty good ish -- Endwar looks great! Next month's cover story: Bioshock!

Isn't it at this point slightly more exciting to see that Splinter Cell Conviction is being previewed in the next issue? Bioshock has been previewed left and right, but this one is new, isn't it?

AltogetherAndrews said:
Isn't it at this point slightly more exciting to see that Splinter Cell Conviction is being previewed in the next issue? Bioshock has been previewed left and right, but this one is new, isn't it?

Does that mean it's a direct sequel to double agent story-wise? (Translation: Do I need to go ahead and finish DA now?)

Doodis

Is this the issue that's supposed to have updated Too Human impressions? I'm curious to see what EGM has to say after all that's gone down.

sangreal

Doodis said:
Is this the issue that's supposed to have updated Too Human impressions? I'm curious to see what EGM has to say after all that's gone down.
I'm not at home, but I don't remember seeing anything on Too Human

BenjaminBirdie said:
Does that mean it's a direct sequel to double agent story-wise? (Translation: Do I need to go ahead and finish DA now?)

That'd be quite inhumane of UbiSoft. Not that this will happen, given how much work the company has put into trying to establish Sam Fisher as a video game icon, but I honestly wouldn't mind playing as a new SC operative.

Doel

I got my issue in the mail yesterday. EndWar sounds REALLY sweet and I hate traditional RTS games. So if you were bummed out like me when you heard that EndWar was an RTS, don't worry, this is completely different.

God of War for PSP also looks amazing graphically, and sounds like it will be an obvious must-have for PSP owners.

Top Bottom