• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM November 2008 Reviews and Rumors

Darkpen

Banned
You know, guys, I can't help but think, what if these visits to all of these developers by Kojima is more of him acting on that initiative he once spoke of regarding having developers talk more. Its a known fact that studios don't really talk as much as some people say they should, and while there are efforts being made, maybe this is him just touring these different studios, meeting other developers, outside of a congested GDC-type environment?

Nilla

Banned
It's got to be a new Zelda.

secret.png

Oh yeah.

MiamiWesker said:
Since when are Zelda games tiny... I wish it was Zelda but I doubt Nintendo is going to let EGM reveal something that big.
It's not that the game is big, it's that they specifically said "Manhattan-sized". The specificity seems like to could be a sly clue for readers. Then again, maybe you're right and they just were trying for a memorable way to say "big".

loosus

Banned
How could at least part of it not be a new Zelda? How the fuck do you use a weird phrase like "IT'S A SECRET TO EVERYBODY," in a videogame magazine, and not bring obvious thoughts of Zelda?

It's not like one of those more vague moon references or something.

Dash

Why is no one bitching that Sonic beat out Castlevania for GotM, when clearly the latter will easily score between 15-20% better on gamerankings?

And that teaser is so clearly Trico :D .

Elios83

SuperSonic1305 said:
- Every single 2009 PSP game will also be offered as a download

Natural evolution of things. I believe that with future handheld platforms all games will be released online through a download service. Packaged games will continue to be sold at retailers more to keep them happy and supporting the hardware rather than for a real need.

The same probably won't apply for next gen home console because of the size of games but for handheld games the time is right.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The shadown of the sundial with the sundial itself looks a lot like a ship from some old retro game but I'll be damned if I can remember what.

jiggle said:
sundial pointing at III
Trico confirmed

Although it would be a manhattan sized announcment for 'us'..it wouldnt be commercially..so I expect it to be something more popular (like someone said..Watchmen is a great guess).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
SPEA said:
Hmm. Trico would be nice.
Watchmen makes too much sense though. "Manhattan" sized, picture of a clock... I just don't know if the field of flowers has any significance (never read the book)

Logic suggests next game from Ico team will be revealed sooner than that anyways, at TGS.

Jiggy

Megaman 9 - B+
Good: Old-school aesthetic and challenge
Bad: Difficulty sometimes borders on masochistic

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia - A-
Good: Deep gameplay, spooky graphics and music
Bad: Confusing puzzles, cut-and-paste levels

Kirby: Super Star Ultra - A-
Good: Plenty of powers to absorb
Bad: Forgettable DS-specific features

Star Ocean: The First Departure - B+
Good: Addictive item creation, relationship bulding
Bad: Archaic storyline and presentation
Let's see. OoE is one step lower than what I'd give to DoS or PoR (A) and KSSU is two steps lower (A+, best sidescroller ever made!), Mega Man 9 is just about what I'd say, and no comment on Star Ocean because I don't know much about the first game, but in general the grades for the two games I haven't played here look good and I like the positives they list. :)

This is especially true since the negatives are mostly irrelevant to me. I don't care about story in games and I don't care whether anything is "archaic" (I tend to like "archaic" more often than not), so Star Ocean is totally safe. Agreed that KSSU's DS-specific features suck, at least assuming they're talking about the (optional) touch screen minigames and not the four new modes (which are arguably even more amazing than all the stuff that had been in the original!), but it's such a side thing that I don't mind. "Masochistic" MM9 difficulty is fine.

And with Castlevania... Well, confusing puzzles may or may not be troublesome. In DoS and PoR I never bothered going back to the regular Soma or Jonathan/Charlotte modes after beating them, and any instances of annoying puzzles were nullified in the fun of the post-game modes. <3 But even if OoE pulls a miracle out of its hat and I want to replay Shanoa's mode, we'll see whether they're the kinds of confusing puzzles that are only confusing once--which wouldn't be so bad.

Cut-and-paste levels would suck if they're talking about straight-up mirrored levels again, as that stuff significantly wounded Portrait of Ruin and (especially) Symphony of the Night for me. :( Still loved both anyway, though, so I suspect things will be just fine.

Nafai1123

Banned
Marconelly said:
Watchmen makes too much sense though. "Manhattan" sized, picture of a clock... I just don't know if the field of flowers has any significance (never read the book)

Logic suggests next game from Ico team will be revealed sooner than that anyways, at TGS.

Why would they make such a big deal about a movie based (or graphic novel based) game? 11 out of 10 times they end up being shit.

NimbusD

Liabe Brave said:
It's not that the game is big, it's that they specifically said "Manhattan-sized". The specificity seems like to could be a sly clue for readers. Then again, maybe you're right and they just were trying for a memorable way to say "big".

Manhattanton?

pulga

Banned
SuperSonic1305 said:
The next month section doesn't mention the cover story. It just says "It's a secret to everybody (except us) and has a picture of a sundial in a field of flowers. It also says it's a Manhattan sized announcement.

DrManhattan.jpg

Hmmmm, what could it be....

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

BELIEVE

Private Hoffman said:
It's gotta be the next team ICO game.

This is going to be their breakout game.

Breakout game on Sony's least successful console yet? Unless you're talking in the critical sense, not happening.

Rlan

Jiggy37 said:
And with Castlevania... Well, confusing puzzles may or may not be troublesome. In DoS and PoR I never bothered going back to the regular Soma or Jonathan/Charlotte modes after beating them, and any instances of annoying puzzles were nullified in the fun of the post-game modes. <3 But even if OoE pulls a miracle out of its hat and I want to replay Shanoa's mode, we'll see whether they're the kinds of confusing puzzles that are only confusing once--which wouldn't be so bad.

Cut-and-paste levels would suck if they're talking about straight-up mirrored levels again, as that stuff significantly wounded Portrait of Ruin and (especially) Symphony of the Night for me. :( Still loved both anyway, though, so I suspect things will be just fine.

From the 1UP Yours Podcast, Shane was saying that it just might be the best castlevania to date, better than SOTN. Then the next week he said that for that entire week he had gotten stuck at a point that had no idea what to do (Got the Bad ending, couldn't find out what to do for the good), and not even Konami could help him with this problem. :lol

cartman414 said:
Breakout game on Sony's least successful console yet? Unless you're talking in the critical sense, not happening.

Talking in a commercial sense.

MGS4 sold more than MGS3, despite PS2 having far greater numbers.

It's more about active userbase than raw numbers.

Also, Team ICO has progressively done better as they've released projects.

BigBoss

OceansAndEarth said:
I get a feeling that he wants to make it work on a console from this generation.

I was talking more about general game design rather than the graphics side of things.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
splattergnome said:
Manhattan Project + Sundials = Remake of Infocom's Trinity

trinity.jpg

I have no idea who you are, but the fact you name dropped trinity makes you cool in my book.

A watchmen game would be disappointing as a big secret and I wouldn't consider Trico as a secret as everyone knows of it just not what it is. I hope and believe this is a game no one saw coming.

KongRudi

Banned
SuperSonic1305 said:
The next month section doesn't mention the cover story. It just says "It's a secret to everybody (except us) and has a picture of a sundial in a field of flowers. It also says it's a Manhattan sized announcement.

Manhatten sized announcement? First thing wich comes to mind, is GTA4 DLC announcement.
That sundial in a field of flowers, dosn't fit tough, but maybe that's for something else. :-/

Top Bottom