• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EIDOS BUSTED AGAIN - Now Blocking Tomb Raider Underworld Scores Under 8/10

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Didn't they learn jack shit from their past fuckups? They will get ripped to shreds for this and rightfully so.

Haunted said:
I think (I hope) that's the direction we're headed in, but most magazines who tried this no-score-policy have gotten hugely negative feedback from their readers about it.

Thats because we have "raised and trained" everyone to just look at a review score immediatly. Hell even I fall for it. I remember looking through Play Magazine one day, and I turned to the review pages and started scanning for the score. Granted I read the articles anyways but becaues I couldnt just look and see that 8.5 or 4.5 on the review, I was sorta annoyed. Yet it would be so much better if games didn't get scores and we just learned what was good and bad about the game and then make our own call on the game.

JDSN

Banned
I hope the video game journalists do something about this whole thing.

Edit:
21/10/08 – Future, the special-interest media group is celebrating the eagerly-awaited launch of the latest Tomb Raider game by changing the name of its fast-growing GamesRadar.com for one day only!

Marking the culmination of a fortnight long digital advertising campaign from software publisher Eidos to promote the latest Lara Croft game, GamesRadar becomes known as TombRadar for one day only as Tomb Raider Underworld goes on sale Friday, 21st October.

NOT THAT YOU IDIOTS!

LOcKY

Has EDGE reviewed the game yet? i know EDGE has big enough balls to say what they think of any game.

will that mean Eidos will try and block them?

Doc Evils

LOcKY said:
Has EDGE reviewed the game yet? i know EDGE has big enough balls to say what they think of any game.

will that mean Eidos will try and block them?

they gave it an 8, which makes them even more susceptible.

It baffles me that companies think they can pull this shit and not get called on it. We may be the hardest of the hardcore, but this shit trickles down, even to the level of GameStop employees advising customers not to support companies that pull crap like this.

Unrelated, but just the other day I saw a GameStop employee, one of the manager or assistant manager types (I think this particular guy is like 2nd in command at my local store), tell someone not to buy CoD: WaW, because it wasn't developed by Infinity Ward, and Activision is basically trying to pull the wool over customers' eyes by alternating devs on the series.

PaNaMa

Banned
The Democratic People's Republic of Eidos's state-run newspaper gave it a 10/10 so it must be a good game...

To the posters who are trying to downplay the significance of this stunt by stating "They are only asking people to hold off on bad reviews, not *all* reviews..."

I imagine Kim Jong Il, The Third Reich, Saddam Hussein, and whoever the hell is running China these days all said similar things to journalists over the course of history: Don't print anything that portrays us or our interests in a negative light or you will be shot/imprisoned/tortured/have your license revoked etc etc. That is, they are only permitted to say nice things.

Journalistic integrity is what I look for in a game reviewer, or in anyone who is writing an informative article. Don't lie to me, don't sugarcoat, don't sweet talk me out of my $60 just because the game maker might pull it's advertising or shitlist you for previewable copies of their *next* game. The minute sites and mags begin to comprise their integrity due to the bullying of publishers (cough, Gamespot) is the minute gamers start looking elsewhere for their information.

Eidos is basically a worthless publisher/developer at this point, and many of their franchises don't have the brand power they once did. So if a more high profile pub/ dev had done the same thing, and got called out on it, what would the outcome be...? Can anyone help me with some examples?

phez

Banned
PaNaMa said:
The Democratic People's Republic of Eidos's state-run newspaper gave it a 10/10 so it must be a good game...

To the posters who are trying to downplay the significance of this stunt by stating "They are only asking people to hold off on bad reviews, not *all* reviews..."

I imagine Kim Jong Il, The Third Reich, Saddam Hussein, and whoever the hell is running China these days all said similar things to journalists over the course of history: Don't print anything that portrays us or our interests in a negative light or you will be shot/imprisoned/tortured/have your license revoked etc etc. That is, they are only permitted to say nice things.

Journalistic integrity is what I look for in a game reviewer, or in anyone who is writing an informative article. Don't lie to me, don't sugarcoat, don't sweet talk me out of my $60 just because the game maker might pull it's advertising or shitlist you for previewable copies of their *next* game. The minute sites and mags begin to comprise their integrity due to the bullying of publishers (cough, Gamespot) is the minute gamers start looking elsewhere for their information.

sonicmj1

Tempy said:
You know, what if there were more gaming sites which review games, but not give out any scores. So the gamer would have to, actually read the review and decipher whether it was worth their time or not, rather than looking at a number and comparing it to other, totally unrelated games.

Sure, the publisher couldn't put a "90% from IGN" sticker on the box, but they won't have to fear the "holy" metacritic score being pulled down either.

I think that would be better also, but people want scores, so it's scores they get.

I can't think of a lot of websites that have experimented with this policy, but I know that GFW gave it a shot for a while before they were forced to backpedal due to negative feedback.

Scores are a kind of crutch that people use to let them quickly determine a game's quality, but people read a lot of things into it that simply aren't there. In many ways, they almost seem more misleading than they are helpful, considering how subjective they are.

A well-written review should let someone have a sense of how they will feel about a game before they buy it, whether they have the reviewer's tastes or not. Scores are completely unable to do this.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
"When asked why, the spokesperson said: 'Just that we’re trying to get the Metacritic rating to be high, and the brand manager in the US that’s handling all of Tomb Raider has asked that we just manage the scores before the game is out, really, just to ensure that we don’t put people off buying the game, basically.'"

I don't see what the big deal is here, people. They were just asked to disregard the entire reason that their job exists, what's wrong with that?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Barrington Harvey has been working hard to ensure the launch scores of Tomb Raider Underworld are in line with our internal review predictions over the launch weekend

What does this even mean? Think about this.

Kittonwy

Banned
Tempy said:
You know, what if there were more gaming sites which review games, but not give out any scores. So the gamer would have to, actually read the review and decipher whether it was worth their time or not, rather than looking at a number and comparing it to other, totally unrelated games.

Sure, the publisher couldn't put a "90% from IGN" sticker on the box, but they won't have to fear the "holy" metacritic score being pulled down either.

It's not like mags and sites are held accountable by most readers for what they write in their reviews, so basically they can be spreading crap and there's still nothing you can do about, even if there are no scores attached. It's like the thing with gamespot and you guys about the whole destructable environment thing, yeah they got called out but so what? It's not like you guys can blacklist them permanently, publishers/developers have to try to maintain a good relationship with media outlets and media outlets often respond to games from publishers based on their relationship with said publishers even if it's not explicit. Gaming "journalism" is simply so far from objectivity that there's really no point in anything anymore.

-Rogue5-

VanMardigan said:
What does this even mean? Think about this.

What's the problem? They think it's an 8+ game and wanted to make sure it was seen as such until the game launches.

Seriously, sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. A real shame too, because I quite liked how Underworld was shaping up.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
-Rogue5- said:
What's the problem? They think it's an 8+ game and wanted to make sure it was seen as such until the game launches.

But they're saying they aren't censoring anyone. So, short of that, how DO you manage review scores to "ensure the launch scores of Tomb Raider Underworld are in line with our internal review predictions over the launch weekend"?

-Rogue5-

Kaako said:
Didn't they learn jack shit from their past fuckups?

They learned that the millions of average casual gamers who buy Tomb Raider don't read media outlets like Gamespot, ign, or EGM, so they apparently don't need to give a rat's ass.

VanMardigan said:
But they're saying they aren't censoring anyone. So, short of that, how DO you manage review scores to "ensure the launch scores of Tomb Raider Underworld are in line with our internal review predictions over the launch weekend"?

Touche. Maybe they're just trying to nudge people in their direction, I guess. I would have at least spun a BS reason like, "we feel reviewers may need the extra time, as the game is so big and awesome if they're pushed to race through it, they won't get the full, totally awesome, experience of the game. Yeah, that sounds good, right?"

Scrubking

Kaako said:
Didn't they learn jack shit from their past fuckups? They will get ripped to shreds for this and rightfully so.

Yes. They learned that they can do stuff like this and still sell a million copies of said game (K&L).

Seriously all you people saying that Eidos will get burned are going to be disappointed because nothing will happen to them and people will still buy their games in droves. The videogame media will blow this off in a few days, maybe even after denouncing Eidios a bit, and go back to obeying their masters.

In 6 months there will be another scandal and again it will be quickly forgotten, and the cycle will continue. Nothing is going to change and the media aren't going to give up their paychecks or previews.

TheExodu5

Banned
KernelPanic said:
I know people who won't buy a game unless the metacritic is high enough. I think there was some study that showed a correlation between metacritic scores and sales as well.

A lot of the GameFAQs/GameSpot people base their purchases on high review scores and games in the top 10 of their console board.

Brannon

GhaleonEB said:
Heh. My self-imposed ban on buying (or considering) any Eidos published titles, implemented after the fiasco last year at this time, continues to be justified. Fuck those guys.

Buy it used, but don't buy the DLC. Take their game AND keep them from making a profit.

PaNaMa

Banned
It's like people who don't go to movies that don't score well on the Tomtato meter.
Frequently, I'm one of those people. If 109 out of 115 people say a movie is awful .. it's probably bad. At the very least, it's probably not all that good and almost certainly not worthy of my time and money.

I can't say what the general population of gamers out there considers a "cut off" point for buying a game.. but lets use the new Need for Speed as an example. I like driving games.
Need for Speed has been hit or miss over the years, mostly miss lately. But if the new one had scored around 90 on metacritic I'd have probably considered picking it up since I don't really have a driving game atm.. But with TR actually getting mostly favourable reviews, Eidos' "damage control" is doing way more damage than a small percentage of sub-8.0 reviews could ever do.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Gerstmann-gate continues to echo throught the hallowed halls of gaming over a year later.

Eidos, you have learned nothing and thusly deserve nobodies money. I will not be buying your most likely delightful Tomb Raider installment. I feel sorry for Crystal Dynamics whose name you are hurting with this shitty stunt.

Firestorm

speedpop said:
This is why I can't take gaming journalism too seriously, because it hasn't grown a big enough backbone to stand on its own two legs and tell the publishers to back off.
Then how the fuck do you take mainstream journalism seriously? It hasn't grown a big enough backbone to stand on its own two legs and tell the government to back off. They have a similar relationship with similar issues. You just don't know about it because your area of interest and expertise is in games.

Here's a novel idea: you won't need to do that if you make a game that will have a high ranking on Metacritic based on... *gasp* the game itself!

See: Mario Galaxy, Uncharted, Gears of War, etc.

I thought this was common practice with all publishers. Are there any examples of high profile games that got below 80% being published before the game came out? The only games I can think of appeared after the game was released and not before.

DarkWish

And to think, my roommate likes Tomb Raider Underworld. I think he even had a theme for it on his PS3. If he ends up buying that game, I'm going to be very disappointed in him since he knows about this situation as well.

Doc Evils

Haeleos said:
I don't know anyone who visits metacritic or even knows what it is.

I've been recommending people in real life who never use reviews and relies on word of mouth to use the metacritic to buy games, so that they don't buy crap without knowing how good it is.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
This is pathetic.

It may be an attempt to get some publicity since K&L went to sell good, not sure if it helped but maybe stupid Eidos thought it did.

/stupid conspiracy theory

This kind of shit is going to cost them more sales than any "under 80" reviews could.

Fuck that. Fuck Eidos. The game looked slick but fuck them in the ass.

SonOfABeep said:
This kind of shit is going to cost them more sales than any "under 80" reviews could.

Fuck that. Fuck Eidos. The game looked slick but fuck them in the ass.

:lol Yes, because most of the people who buy Tomb Raider games use the internet for videogame news. Keep living in your nice insular bubble!

Top Bottom