• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron |OT| You sure that’s enough armor?

Was wondering which version to get. Is the PS3 version framerate that much better than the supposedly better-looking 360 version? I'm seeing a lot of conflicting info.

I just finished the game, it was a pretty surreal experience and I liked it very much.

I can't help but feel that I might of missed out on something, like maybe a hidden ending or something.

Regardless, I feel it was money well spent. Playing something like this, I can't help but think about how bland some popular games are in comparison, in terms of symbolism, aesthetic design and mystique.

Zeal

Banned
Scalpel Knight said:
Was wondering which version to get. Is the PS3 version framerate that much better than the supposedly better-looking 360 version? I'm seeing a lot of conflicting info.
i got both and overall the 360 version looks better enough to go with that version. framerate is also just fine on 360. the small dips are few and far between and do not impact gameplay of any significance.

d0c_zaius

Y2Kev said:
I hate the gale.

Does anyone think the beginning of Chapter 6 looks like...Zanarkand?

its not so bad. It can be unreliable at times and be amazing during others.

and yea I got that vibe too

d0c_zaius said:
its not so bad. It can be unreliable at times and be amazing during others.
Pretty much. I got some silly achievement for beating one of the bosses without dying once. All I had to do was just dash out of his melee attack and spam gale's armor breaker.

Neiteio

MushroomSamba said:
Do you guys think the demo is representative of the final product? I've only played the demo so far, and I thought the combat and platforming was pretty lacking. I'm basically wondering if you guys think the combat/platforming controls better in the final game or if it at least gets more interesting than what's presented in the demo, or that if I didn't like it then I probably won't like it now either.
I'm like this guy: The demo was meh with wonky platforming controls that resulted in many unwitting deaths, and the combat wasn't much better. But I only played the demo. How does the demo compare to the full game?

~Kinggi~ said:
I hope the bomba comes fast and swift. No 60$ for a 5.0 game from me. /monocle

lulz

I'll wait until someone gives me the game. My money goes towards only the best titles like the Oscar Worthy storytelling of GTA4 or the perfection that is Jade Empire. Yes.

Lawl IGN

I'm confused, am I supposed to be beating these watchers when I run into them? Every time I run across one they beat my ass in two seconds flat and then I get teleported somewhere else. What gives? Was begining the game on normal a mistake?

Cheska

Saint Gregory said:
I'm confused, am I supposed to be beating these watchers when I run into them? Every time I run across one they beat my ass in two seconds flat and then I get teleported somewhere else. What gives? Was begining the game on normal a mistake?

Wondering the same thing myself.

I'm on the third chapter (I think, structure is pretty funny), and I like it so far. It's...a funny game, with funny pleasures. It's not anything really special as an action game, but it is enjoyably tactical and there's a weight and deliberateness to the fighting that can be satisfying. It's much, much less chaotic than a Bayonetta, for example. It's also much, much less complex.

So that's all fine, but it really is primarily an audio/visual experience and should be approached as such. I think it works as this, because the presentation is so unique and so schizophrenic. But if you're unsure about picking this up, you should know that that is what you're getting.

Sai-kun

Banned
Just finished the game. Wow, that was a pretty good boss fight. Definitely gonna have to step away from the game for a bit before I come back and play it again for the achievements and stuff.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ironcreed said:
This very well may be one of the most tripped out games I have played. It is like traveling through some fucked up dream world or something. Aside from the high strangeness and beauty, the rhythmic combat is something I find to be simplistic, yet completely awesome once you get into a flow. Incredibly unique experience. IGN are out of their minds giving such a low score to such an original game that actually succeeds at doing something fresh.

They don't value doing things fresh. They value AAA. I mean this sentence is in the review:

"In the end, El Shaddai attempts to do too much, and much of what it does it doesn't do well."

How much more could you miss the boat? El Shaddai is one of the only games I've played this year where it does exactly what it focuses on. This is a game with minimalist gameplay. It does not try to do too much. This is not Bayonetta Bros.

Cheska said:
Womdering the same thing myself.

they're all beatable I think

I've beaten 4

Sai-kun

Banned
Y2Kev said:
"In the end, El Shaddai attempts to do too much, and much of what it does it doesn't do well."

Yeah, I don't get this. If anything I would say it doesn't do as much as other games like it do, but I wouldn't count that against it, because it does the one/two button combat really well.

Also fuckkk I S ranked Azazel's Zeal on my first try. #epic

see5harp

I really don't see how you can play hours of El Shaddai with the same combat scenarios and completely linear level designs over and over again and complain about originality in shooters. To me it's about execution. It doesn't matter if you are trying to tell a simple story on a small budget or a huge epic blockbuster. At the end of the day you have to tell the story well. 13 Assassins was probably a tenth of the budget that Red Cliff had with a much more simple story and I got a lot more out of 13 assassins. So far I feel like I could take a random COD game and get more enjoyment out of the narrative and gameplay than El Shaddai.

EDIT: To the IGN argument, I don't think the platforming levels are particularly fun. I don't think the narrative or premise is even remotely done well. In many cases dialogue is strange or doesn't make sense (which could be a bad translation). Combat, while satisfying in some ways, relies on the same scenarios over and over and it's entirely predictable when the combat is going to start (in ways infinitely more predictable than Doom 3 monster closets).

The lack of camera control can make areas frustrating, whether it's jumping or fighting multiple enemies. As far as the narrative and pacing go...there are at least 3 "gimmicks" off the top of my head that they use to try and make things original or kooky that just didn't work to me. The early deaths to late title card, the long sequence in the middle that acts as an aside, and the reveal that Lucifel is *gasp* speaking to God on the phone. Lucifel is the most memorable character and has nearly nothing of importance to say in the entire game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
see5harp said:
I really don't see how you can play hours of El Shaddai with the same combat scenarios and completely linear level designs over and over again and complain about originality in shooters. To me it's about execution. It doesn't matter if you are trying to tell a simple story on a small budget or a huge epic blockbuster. At the end of the day you have to tell the story well. 13 Assassins was probably a tenth of the budget that Red Cliff had with a much more simple story and I got a lot more out of 13 assassins. So far I feel like I could take a random COD game and get more enjoyment out of the narrative and gameplay than El Shaddai.

EDIT: To the IGN argument, I don't think the platforming levels are particularly fun. I don't think the narrative or premise is even remotely done well. In many cases dialogue is strange or doesn't make sense (which could be a bad translation). Combat, while satisfying in some ways, relies on the same scenarios over and over and it's entirely predictable when the combat is going to start (in ways infinitely more predictable than Doom 3 monster closets).

The lack of camera control can make areas frustrating, whether it's jumping or fighting multiple enemies. As far as the narrative and pacing go...there are at least 3 "gimmicks" off the top of my head that they use to try and make things original or kooky that just didn't work to me. The early deaths to late title card, the long sequence in the middle that acts as an aside, and the reveal that Lucifel is *gasp* speaking to God on the phone. Lucifel is the most memorable character and has nearly nothing of importance to say in the entire game.

This is a lot like Okami for me. I focus on getting into a rhythm and disposing of the bad guys without getting hit myself or trying to beat them as quickly as possible. I don't really mind (or care) that the game is linear; I quite like linearity. I agree that the early chapters have some pacing problems, namely run -> fight -> run -> fight. I don't really see what the game presents (or even presents poorly) has to do with originality in shooters or shooter presentation...those sorts of complaints, to me, come from realism (and to a lesser extent, hyperrealism) fatigue and not really any type of rebellion or dissatisfaction with shooter gameplay.

I can't comment on the story yet.

When I said, "IGN values AAA," I don't think this was necessarily an indictment of IGN (plenty of other things are, like the quote about trying to do too much...even from your post here I get the sense you don't think they're really trying to do to much with the game). They, like you, are concerned with execution.

Cheska said:
Gotta step my game up then.

Around how long is it taking you guys to beat the game?
I think the game clock ran up to 60 hours or something. But I guess time flows differently in the wacky world of El Shaddai. Ten or twelve hours sounds about right. Depending on which sections you get stuck and for how long.

ironcreed

Banned
Just beat it a couple of hours ago. Only complaints are that some of the platforming is a little iffy when trying to judge your jumps in certain areas, the boss battles did not pack enough of a punch and the enemy variety was not quite as strong as it could have been, given the wild variety of locations. Other than that, very unique and extremely beautiful game that was worth a play through simply because of how fresh it felt. I'll give it a solid 8.0.

LiK

Just finished it on Normal. Not a fan of the abrupt ending but what an experience. The world is really awesome and gorgeous. Puts so many other games to shame. We need more strange worlds like this.

The game had way more platforming than I expected. I was kinda surprised. Combat is fun but I wish there were more weapons and upgrades. But other than that, it was great.

Btw, took around 9 hours to beat. Not bad.

Jintor

Y2Kev said:
When I said, "IGN values AAA," I don't think this was necessarily an indictment of IGN (plenty of other things are, like the quote about trying to do too much...even from your post here I get the sense you don't think they're really trying to do to much with the game). They, like you, are concerned with execution.

I value creative ideas and exploration of new territory as much as the next man, but that stuff can only carry you so far. Minimalism is fine if you nail the gameplay, but I don't think El Shaddai did that.

Duffyside

Banned
FateBreaker said:
Sorry if this has been answered: how hard is it to 1000 this (or, how hard does it seem to be)?
Do you mean... "platinum" it? *Troll face*

Seems fucking hard to me. There's a trophy for beating the game on the hardest setting, which Bettenhausen claims only one of the developers was able to accomplish, and also a trophy for not dying during the game. I'm not sure if the not dying includes the Mike Punchout button-pressing or not.

As a person who loves platinuming great games, I say no thanks.

Cheska

Yeah I opted for the easier difficulty so I could enjoy the story and jaw dropping levels. Dont think it's worth pulling my hair out so I can platinum this.

LiK

Cheska said:
Yeah I opted for the easier difficulty so I could enjoy the story and jaw dropping levels. Dont think it's worth pulling my hair out so I can platinum this.

Combat on Normal was pretty easy to me. Only had trouble with the platforming in several spots. The last part wasn't as hard as what game reviewers were saying. Maybe they're just not that good. :p

Teknoman

You can beat the non-mandatory fights against the watchers, but it helps alot if you have the weapon they are weak to. Just take your time. Also even though I havent beaten the game yet, you guys think this is one of those games where you only see the "true" ending after beating the hardest difficulty?

Either way, the game is challenging, but its not that hard where you'd have to go easy the first time though. Just get into the rhythm of the fight.

schlew

Is there any clear-cut way to distinguish and enemy's weakness? As in, what weapon they are weak to? It's not that obvious to me, unless it's a rock paper scissors kind of element. If it is indeed a RockPaperScissors kind of system, do I have to be careful and watch which order I defeat the enemies in?

Sai-kun

Banned
LiK said:
Combat on Normal was pretty easy to me. Only had trouble with the platforming in several spots. The last part wasn't as hard as what game reviewers were saying. Maybe they're just not that good. :p

Second to last boss fight was the coolest of all of them, IMO. When I figured out how to fight him, it was poetry in motion.

I beat a watcher! Wasn't expecting that at all. I had the arch and really only had to hit 5 full combos. For others, the trick to them is to attack them right after(or even during, if you're quick enough) any of their moves. If you do, they'll get a stun animation, and you can do a full combo from your weapon - that's 5 hits from the Arch. After they hit the ground, back off, you won't be able to do anything until you respond to their next move.

Jintor

schlew said:
Is there any clear-cut way to distinguish and enemy's weakness? As in, what weapon they are weak to? It's not that obvious to me, unless it's a rock paper scissors kind of element. If it is indeed a RockPaperScissors kind of system, do I have to be careful and watch which order I defeat the enemies in?

I remember a coloured halo indicator popping up once in a while, but I think that was poer-up dependant.

see5harp

Y2Kev said:
This is a lot like Okami for me. I focus on getting into a rhythm and disposing of the bad guys without getting hit myself or trying to beat them as quickly as possible. I don't really mind (or care) that the game is linear; I quite like linearity. I agree that the early chapters have some pacing problems, namely run -> fight -> run -> fight. I don't really see what the game presents (or even presents poorly) has to do with originality in shooters or shooter presentation...those sorts of complaints, to me, come from realism (and to a lesser extent, hyperrealism) fatigue and not really any type of rebellion or dissatisfaction with shooter gameplay.

I can't comment on the story yet.

You know there were a ton of sequences where I actually felt a strong connection to Okami. I think that had more to do with the visuals more than anything, and I think the way I see it, the visuals really serve Okami well. The problem I have with many of the visuals here is that they actively make some of the game harder to play, particularly in levels where you either need to perform jumps and you're not sure whether you are jumping into a hole or a pool of water. The other thing I don't like is that in many cases enemies are just harder to see and in some levels, the framerate is widely inconsistent probably due to all of the crazy effects and filters. I think the look of the game is beautiful. On looks alone I'd rate the game high, it's just that sometimes in El Shaddai, the color palette doesn't seem to serve the gameplay when you combine a very monochromatic level with a lack of camera control.

Teknoman

Jintor said:
I remember a coloured halo indicator popping up once in a while, but I think that was poer-up dependant.

Yeah the eyes of truth or something. I think its more or less paper rock scissors though. Like Arch beats Veil beats Gale beats Arch.

Jintor

I'm not certain that it was dependant on the weapons your enemies were holding, since I think it was more related to enemy-type than combat-type.

I'm stoked to see that many of you are enjoying the game as I did.

I suggest that you play it on Hard your second time through, and switch on the Japanese voices if you didn't already.
That achievement crash bug on the 360 version is being looked into; sorry if that has affected you.

If you're coming to Pax next week find me at the panels or booth and we should have some sweet giveaways.
3bu9kum

Duffyside

Banned
I remember his name being "Liquid" something. Huh. I was thrown off because there's a LiquidSwords on Giant Bomb too that doesn't strike me as Shane-esque. And he probably isn't.

Yuterald

I've got G Ranks on Normal up to Chapter 7. Still enjoying the game immensely. The scoring system really clicked with me. I really do enjoy the flow of combat. Dashing into enemies with your gale to keep your combo going feels nice and I've pulled off some perfect guards during 50+ hit combos and it feels oh so good. Game may be shallow, simple, but there is definitely some depth when playing the game with score/points activated.

LiK

LiquidSwords said:

I suggest that you play it on Hard your second time through, and switch on the Japanese voices if you didn't already.
That achievement crash bug on the 360 version is being looked into; sorry if that has affected you.

If you're coming to Pax next week find me at the panels or booth and we should have some sweet giveaways.
http://tinyurl.com/3bu9kum[/QUOTE]

MANGOD!

wait, there's crash bug? can you specify details?

LiquidSwords said:

3bu9kum
Oh man. Your name: GZA? If so, you are awesome.

Cheska

The platforming sections in this game are stellar! Easily some of my favorite parts thus far. Currently on chapter 5. Any tips for future levels guys?

LiK

Cheska said:
The platforming sections in this game are stellar! Easily some of my favorite parts thus far. Currently on chapter 5. Any tips for future levels guys?

not really, the platforming only gets tougher and there are some wicked boss battles.

LiK said:
MANGOD!

wait, there's crash bug? can you specify details?

not really, just a small number of people have occasionally had a crash after getting a certain achievement. might be hardware-specific; it's being looked into.

Most everyone is tripping out with Enoch without incident.
watchers.jpg

Top Bottom