• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

El Shaddai: Weapons system + screens of prettiest game of 2011

Maybe not the prettiest 2011 game (Child of Eden, From Dust, Cargo, Rock of Ages, Journey, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet and some others are also 2011 releases, hopefully), but it's definitely up there.

And wow at the mention of Uncharted. :lol

I think it looks great (outside of the main character, unfortunately.)

Also, there is really no need to mention Uncharted in this thread. Might as well say that Crysis 2, RAGE, Gears etc will be "prettier". Any number of games will no doubt be more technologically advanced than this, but those games are striving for completely different things and really don't need to be mentioned in a discussion about this game.

In terms of stylish visual extravagance, this should be one of the highlights of next year.
With Child of Eden being the true highlight

Lijik

Mr_Brit said:
meh artstyle tbh. Uncharted and the The Last Guardian look better artistically.
sfctoo.jpg

Dante

It's got an interesting visual style, however I wouldn't say it's all that appealing, It's really kinda gaudy looking tbh.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Wait, I thought Gale was pronounced like "gale force winds". Apparently it's pronounced "Gah-lay". That's bizarre.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
thetrin said:
Wait, I thought Gale was pronounced like "gale force winds". Apparently it's pronounced "Gah-lay". That's bizarre.
It's possible that the katakana isn't intended to be a transliteration of the word gale. A little weird but it's happened before.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Serenade said:
It's possible that the katakana isn't intended to be a transliteration of the word gale. A little weird but it's happened before.

True enough. I do like the art in the chart though. Very well designed symbols.

Ploid 3.0

Poimandres said:
I think it looks great (outside of the main character, unfortunately.)

Also, there is really no need to mention Uncharted in this thread. Might as well say that Crysis 2, RAGE, Gears etc will be "prettier". Any number of games will no doubt be more technologically advanced than this, but those games are striving for completely different things and really don't need to be mentioned in a discussion about this game.

In terms of stylish visual extravagance, this should be one of the highlights of next year.
With Child of Eden being the true highlight

There would be nothing wrong with picking any of those either. Uncharted is probably just on the top of people's mind when it come to pretty 2011 games. They are amazingly pretty as well. Another word should have been used instead of pretty, because pretty has a wide range that's not exclusive to just this type of game. Maybe abstract, arty, simplistic (things that also describe Journey, Rez, and Child of Eden).

Edit: Gifs posted

That should be in the op above the screens. The screens make the game look bad. In motion it's much more impressive.

LowParry

Game looks really fun and very....colorful. For some reason the style of combat reminds me of Heavenly Sword.

KAL2006

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
Looks like the type of game some gamers will like just because it's different and not because it's actually any good.

This is exactly what happened to Kirby Epic Yarn. It looked beautiful, graphics and art style was amazing, but I found the gameplay to be garbage. Yet it was on a lot of people list of best games for 2010, also many sites have nominated this game for best Wii game and best platformer, it should have just been nominated for best graphics only.

Ploid 3.0 said:
There would be nothing wrong with picking any of those either. Uncharted is probably just on the top of people's mind when it come to pretty 2011 games. They are amazingly pretty as well. Another word should have been used instead of pretty, because pretty has a wide range that's not exclusive to just this type of game. Maybe abstract, arty, simplistic (things that also describe Journey, Rez, and Child of Eden).

Why not pretty? There are people who find games such as this prettier than Uncharted and Gears. You might just as easily suggest that Uncharted, Rage and Gears shouldn't be described as pretty, but instead "techy", "advanced" or whatever. As far as overall looks go, it's highly subjective and anything is fair game.

Ploid 3.0

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Why not pretty? There are people who find games such as this prettier than Uncharted and Gears. You might just as easily suggest that Uncharted, Rage and Gears shouldn't be described as pretty, but instead "techy", "advanced" or whatever. As far as overall looks go, it's highly subjective and anything is fair game.

I meant if they didn't expect the games to be put against this game. Can't really call uncharted, crysis, TLG, or the others artsy, abstract, etc. They seem shocked that people would class those games as pretty.

Making subjects like "___, the best game of 2011 (post date 2010)" is just begging to bring your thread off topic on the first reply.

Chris_C

Rabbitwork said:
i don't even....what?

also, fuck the haters. this game looks like a real interesting experience.

It does, but his statement stand true, both games are incalculably better looking from an aesthetic point of view. El Shaddai looks different, but the art style is pretty inconsistent and often downright ugly. Just because it looks unique, colorful and visually interesting doesn't mean the art itself is much good.

Monocle

Mr_Brit said:
Please fuck right off. This game looks amazing.

Desi said:
yeah I love the worldview and look. Sadly the battles go full-time ugly and lose most of the beauty you see in the adventure and platforming videos.

Oh and why is the Enoch wearing jeans?
Gift from his time traveling friend.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I cant wait for the Uncharted 3 circle jerk that will annoyingly weasle itself into every fucking thread next year regardless of relevance. Its going to be so much fun.

Do we know if El Shaddai is getting localised?

Brashnir

aCnJ4.jpg

the desire to photoshop a guitar into this shot is overwhelming. Too bad I lack the necessary software in my present location...

The fighting seems kind of lame from what I can gather, which isn't a whole lot but everything else looks good. I'm more interested in it for the sake of being interested in its style more than I desire to actually play it :p

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The game looks like a clash between too many different art styles, but what's there is pretty badass (except I'm not feeling the lead char design). Great use of color. Still, to all the haters, at least check the videos out before you write the game off. The background animations look amazing.

Wallach

It's been a long time since I smoked marijuana but I'm not playing a second of this game sober if it ever comes out in NA.

Lebron

Mr_Brit said:
:lol :lol

wait, one more

:lol

Anyways, game looks nice. Thanks, never heard of it before(probably have just forgot).

StuBurns

Banned
TLG is far better artistically, this game is schizophrenic, it's doesn't appear to have any real consistency, it's just a number of very conflicting abstract compositions. That's not to say it's bad, but TLG is far more impressive in it's artistic direction.

As for the game itself, I'm not really excited, I think what I've seen is very interesting, but there's really nothing to suggest it'll be a good game at all so far. I hope I'm wrong.

Ploid 3.0 said:
I meant if they didn't expect the games to be put against this game. Can't really call uncharted, crysis, TLG, or the others artsy, abstract, etc. They seem shocked that people would class those games as pretty.

Making subjects like "___, the best game of 2011 (post date 2010)" is just begging to bring your thread off topic on the first reply.

And this thread title is a first step toward a better world, one in which this is not an issue and prettiness of a game is not judged by its technical achievements.

Meier

The look is obviously incredibly unique but it just isn't working for me in the stills. Those few animated gifs posted above look pretty gorgeous though.

Top Bottom