• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring might be one of the most overrated games ever!

bender

What time is it?
Tedium makes it sound like its mandatory when its skippable optional content. If you want to 100% the game sure its tedium but thats the only reason you HAVE to do any of it. I say its a weak argument because the flip side is it need a variety of more content when its arguably the most content rich open world game in the past few years. Theres no example of a game with more unique content than elden ring in the open world genre outside of MMOs, so the flip side of the argument doesnt exist.

I think you are bit hung up on comparing it to other open worlds and enemy counts. Different open worlds have different design goals and the size of open world games varies greatly. There is no one shoe that fits all. I'm not saying it doesn't have more enemy/content variety than other open world games. I'm also not saying it needs more enemy types. I'm saying it could do with repeating what content it does have far fewer times. If you play open worlds to explore them, you are going to run into recycled content. And you probably aren't going to skip optional content if you are going in blind. The Souls games have traditionally been about being rewarded for checking every nook and cranny. And to me, that's the major failing of Elden Ring. There are far too many chests that you open that have a rune arc or other consumable and there are usually 3-5 different levels of each Talisman which was usually reserved for new game+ in the older Souls games. So if aren't using a guide and are looking to improve your build, you are going to slog though the same three (and that's being generous as I think the ice layout was only used once) optional dudgeon themes, to fight the same handful of boss types to open a chest that contains something you've probably seen before. It just feels a lot more copy and paste in some areas of content than previous entries where everything felt unique and/or useful.

I disagree and you are free to have your own opinion and i will respect it.
But i have to note that you may want to re-learn about Level Design if you think that it was bad in Elden Ring, because Stormveil castle alone is better than 90% of Soulsborne areas.
It's a troll dude that's bored as hell. He knows exactly what his doing. I am pretty convinced that what he is saying is not genuine whatsoever.

Kssio_Aug

But i have to note that you may want to re-learn about Level Design if you think that it was bad in Elden Ring, because Stormveil castle alone is better than 90% of Soulsborne areas.
There are specific points at the map that are great. And in fact the castle was the area that the closest reminded me of the previous games until now, although I don't agree that it alone is better than 90% of the previous games areas.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

Level design is the best and worst thing about Elden Ring. When you get to the traditional Souls-like castles, it some of the best in the series. Even the open world feels largely hand crafted. And then you have the side dungeons which are uninspired and feel procedurally generated.

Kssio_Aug

Hmm was about to give in and buy this as my first Souls like game ever because of the hype ..
You probably should play it. Specially if it's your first Souls game, you will not notice some of the issues with it compared to them. I didn't mean to say is a BAD game, what I meant is that the game has way too many problems that have been completely ignored by critics and hardcore fans in general. Still worth playing though.

Can we lock this piece of shit thread please ? Every month some moron comes in and shits the forum with their brave so called "opinion" on Elden Ring. It's so obvious it's just trolling and designed to make people angry lol. No reason NeoGaf should fall to this level of being disrespected.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I have been playing the game for quite some time now...

And then they go on to write paragraphs about how much they don't enjoy the game. Email customer support or play a different game ffs.

Frustrated Whats Wrong With You GIF

I'll never for the life of me understand why people do this.

Kssio_Aug

And then they go on to write paragraphs about how much they don't enjoy the game. Email customer support or play a different game ffs.

Frustrated Whats Wrong With You GIF

I'll never for the life of me understand why people do this.
Why people discuss games on a game related forum?

No idea either!

mxbison

I enjoyed it a lot and it's definitely my GOTY so far, but yeah it's pretty wild how people are hyping it.

Also I think that the same rolling through mid-air tracking boss attacks is starting to get pretty old. I hope they freshen up the combat system a bit in the next game.

People who come at elden ring for recycling it’s enemies and settings need to give examples of games with more unique content. The Witcher, Botw,Skyrim? Because if elden rings recycled content is a problem it means every open world game is a problem to you cause it has the least recycled content in the genre. Almost every where you go you have you have unique enemies to the area. And the game has over 100 bosses. Many of them are recycled but if you fought each boss only one time is has more unique bosses than most games deff grunt enemies. The recycled content argument is weak.
They never ever can. There's just hypothetical imaginary games that are better.

Aenima

No lies detected. I enjoyed the game for the most part, but is not even my favorite souls game. The open world was interesting to explore for half of the game, and a borefest of skipping repeated bosses for the other half. The closed zones was still the best parts with best level design.

Looking at the game media reception and Metacritics, its defenetly an overrated game.

Thread starter should include these images in his original post.

58574261.jpg

84bf5bebfda6222f83d994487400e73d.jpg

Best thread i've seen in a while.

Can we lock this piece of shit thread please ? Every month some moron comes in and shits the forum with their brave so called "opinion" on Elden Ring. It's so obvious it's just trolling and designed to make people angry lol. No reason NeoGaf should fall to this level of being disrespected.

Lmaoooo

Kssio_Aug

Thread starter should include these images in his original post.

58574261.jpg

84bf5bebfda6222f83d994487400e73d.jpg

Best thread i've seen in a while.

Lmaoooo
I can't understand how so many people are so damn sensitive about critics of games they like. Some are capable of throwing out insults but incapable of provide a single counter argument.

I can't understand how so many people are so damn sensitive about critics of games they like. Some are capable of throwing out insults but incapable of provide a single counter argument.
Still waiting on your list of better open world games that do not suffer from the same critiques you laid out in the OP.

GermanZepp

I would agree that some bosses and enemies are awfull to fight. The exploration part of the game is among the strongest points though.

Matchew

No, his one of those people who doesn't understand good game design and world building and prefers an inferior experience.

But hey, when you are a mediocre individual with no standards it's a normal thing to accept inferiority. Because then that's what you deserve at the end of the day when you don't have a set of high standards.

I wish I learned that earlier because my quality of life is now much higher cause I started to weed out people who were impacting my life negativity and only accepted those who deserve my valued friendship and care.
You need to relax, lol.

NinjaBoiX

Yeah, it’s a good game but it’s WAAAYYYY overrated. Folk saying it’s the new benchmark for game design and such, I wholeheartedly disagree.

- the open world is pretty sparse and dull apart from a handful of locations, its actually a bit of a chore to traverse most of the time
- its an embarrassment technically speaking, the performance is woeful, even on Series X
- there’s far too much copy and paste design to pad out the needlessly stretched out world
- progress is too aimless and meandering, I often found myself struggling to work out what to do, having to look at guides to make progress. They worked much better as a focused, tailor designed game
- it’s too difficult for it’s own good, unless you spend ages grinding which leads me to…
- it asks far too much of the players time to get the most out of it, seems like you need to pour in 100’s of hours to “appreciate” it, fuck that

It’s a solid 7/10 for me, I got bored/frustrated after 40 hours and just put it down. And I’ve never gone back like I have with previous souls games, because I just can’t be bothered to muddle through to find out where I even need to go, let alone grind/farm enough to not get slaughtered by the boss.

It’s easily my least favourite Souls game, by a long shot.

You should also include quotes of the best posts and update accordingly, and i would suggest a bullet point list for ease of visibility concerning why you believe the game is shit/overrated/whatever.

Edit:
Yeah, it’s a good game but it’s WAAAYYYY overrated. Folk saying it’s the new benchmark for game design and such, I wholeheartedly disagree.

- the open world is pretty sparse and dull apart from a handful of locations, its actually a bit of a chore to traverse most of the time
- its an embarrassment technically speaking, the performance is woeful, even on Series X
- there’s far too much copy and paste design to pad out the needlessly stretched out world
- progress is too aimless and meandering, I often found myself struggling to work out what to do, having to look at guides to make progress. They worked much better as a focused, tailor designed game
- it’s too difficult for it’s own good, unless you spend ages grinding which leads me to…
- it asks far too much of the players time to get the most out of it, seems like you need to pour in 100’s of hours to “appreciate” it, fuck that

It’s a solid 7/10 for me, I got bored/frustrated after 40 hours and just put it down. And I’ve never gone back like I have with previous souls games, because I just can’t be bothered to muddle through to find out where I even need to go, let alone grind/farm enough to not get slaughtered by the boss.

It’s easily my least favourite Souls game, by a long shot.

Bingo.

Last edited:

Rockondevil

I personally like that the game can be basically played easy or hard depending on how much grinding you want to do.

I've tried other souls games here and there and I very much dislike them because I'm trash at them. Elden Ring on the other hand I'm loving that I can grind a bit and stomp enemies and bosses.
About 110-120 hours and still haven't finished my first playthrough.

Easily the best game I've played in quite some time. But each to their own.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

I personally like that the game can be basically played easy or hard depending on how much grinding you want to do.
You say that like it’s a good thing.

“It’s only hard if you don’t grind for hours and hours, jeez.”

That’s not a positive bro, that’s an issue.
About 110-120 hours and still haven't finished my first playthrough.
See this is where I noped out.

Chatting to some pals about how hard I was finding it, and they weren’t at all surprised that I’d “only” played for 40 hours.

I’m not 17 anymore, I’m not sitting playing one game for 100’s of hours, that’s just insane to me at this point in my life.

Guilty_AI

These two points, like someone here already said, i honestly want to know which games of similar scale you're comparing to. Because pretty much every open world game of that size, including many acclaimed ones like The Witcher 3, RDR2 and BotW have far more copy/paste content, and less dense in terms of meaningful content too.
True, though that honestly apply to most FS games.
Thats a personal problem. I had 0 issue knowing what to do, just pick a random direction, go for any interesting spot and you'll find stuff. The game is just that packed with content.
No grinding for me, just normal exploration. Easy peasy.
Its a massive rpg, its naturally gonna take a lot of time. These 100 hours can't even compare with the 200-300 you'd normally put into some old school rpgs

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
You got me runnin', goin' out of my mind
You got me thinkin' that I'm wastin' my time
Don't bring me down
No, no, no, no, no
Ooh-ooh-hoo
I'll tell you once more before I get off the floor
Don't bring me down

Seriously, a lot of the dislikes of this game is happening months later. After a lot of people thoroughly enjoyed the game, the multiple playthroughs of the campaign, the game time is well over 100 hours for a lot of players, and a lot of memories were made by the people who enjoyed it.

Someone could very well make a thread about BotW with its non traditional dungeons, repetitive bosses, repetitive mini dungeons, and the breakable weapon system. Yet for some reason it’s considered a generation defining game? I get it, opinions are different, but I don’t exactly make some claim like it’s a fact.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

Oh wind your neck in bro, Jesus Christ…

“Disrespect”, give me a break!

DonF

First, the main issue: The open world exploration SUCKS TREMENDOUSLY!
Yeah I'm out. This is just plain wrong. I LOVE the sense of discovery the first half of the game has. The exploration is awesome. I mention the first half cause I feel the second half is less dense (limgrave, caelid and liurna have way more things to discover than Mt gelmir, Capital and the snow area)
Yeah, it has less tools to traverse but the sense of adventure is like no other game. No markers, just the map and what you mark in it. You have to actually look around, use the binoculars, wander around, investigate, buy tips from merchants... I love it.

El Sueño

I love it and i am having a blast but it is far less significant as bloodborne was. Well bloodborne is the pinnacle of coolness.

NinjaBoiX

Yeah, it has less tools to traverse but the sense of adventure is like no other game. No markers, just the map and what you mark in it. You have to actually look around, use the binoculars, wander around, investigate, buy tips from merchants... I love it.
See I totally get it, and I understand the appeal. It is unique in that respect.

But I honestly didn’t enjoy that personally, I like to have chunks of gameplay offered up to me as entertainment, I don’t want to have to go looking for it.

Same with the lore in these games, I couldn’t find that approach less appealing.

Tell me the damn story! I don’t want to have to piece it together myself, life’s too short.

Different strokes and all that. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

Rockondevil

You say that like it’s a good thing.

“It’s only hard if you don’t grind for hours and hours, jeez.”

That’s not a positive bro, that’s an issue.

See this is where I noped out.

Chatting to some pals about how hard I was finding it, and they weren’t at all surprised that I’d “only” played for 40 hours.

I’m not 17 anymore, I’m not sitting playing one game for 100’s of hours, that’s just insane to me at this point in my life.
For a hardcore souls player I'm sure they don't want an easy mode ever and they can play it however they want. Having the ability to make it somewhat easier isn't a bad thing and should never be.

Regarding my hours played. It isn't hard to do an hour or two a night after my wife and kid have gone to bed.
An hour a night so far is only a few months. And let's be honest, what else has there been to play lately.
If there were some other big titles out maybe I'd feel different about Elden Ring. But the current state of games has given me ample time to slowly play through it.

Brofist

I don’t mind the that the game is not for everyone but this topic does recycled too often, and the overuse of overrated to just mean I didn’t like it is dumb.

I like the responses that agree with OP in a wall of text with one little line in the middle that says they gave up because too hard. Spare us the 20 minute read and just say “I sucked” and leave it at that.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
These two points, like someone here already said, i honestly want to know which games of similar scale you're comparing to. Because pretty much every open world game of that size, including many acclaimed ones like The Witcher 3, RDR2 and BotW have far more copy/paste content, and less dense in terms of meaningful content too.

Complete horseshit. Well perhaps BOTW, but I can't see how anyone can argue that TW3 and RDR2 have messier asset management than Elden Ring. If you cut half the space in the actual openworld of ER, you'd still have a game that was struggling to put meaningful content in the non-legacy dungeon areas.

. . .or maybe people just REALLY love getting Arcstones.

XXL

It's a fantastic game and its still pretty overrated. I think the open worldness took away from Fromsoft's major strength, which is their art design, but added to the discovery aspect. I'm torn. Great game, but forums went way overboard with the hyperbole, like usual.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Complete horseshit. Well perhaps BOTW, but I can't see how anyone can argue that TW3 and RDR2 have messier asset management than Elden Ring. If you cut half the space in the actual openworld of ER, you'd still have a game that was struggling to put meaningful content in the non-legacy dungeon areas.

. . .or maybe people just REALLY love getting Arcstones.
TW3 gave you 47523 different swords if you explored around, half of those legendary, and they are all useless.
RDR2, any exploration is completely meaningless unless your idea of fun is walking back and forth between vast empty spaces for hours hoping you might trigger some random event that gives you absolultely nothing besides a few seconds of amusement.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

I have been playing the game for quite some time now, but I expected so much better specially given how well received it was. It has so many flaws that would never have a pass for pretty much any other 3rd party franchise, that I can't even comprehend how it has been so highly regarded.

First, the main issue: The open world exploration SUCKS TREMENDOUSLY! I haven't been that much bored by exploration for so long. Not even Far Cry and Assassin's Creed have been this boring to explore, and I do consider them quite boring nowadays. There's no reward to wander around the map, other than that sense of finally finding a cave with some sort of decent level design to go through and fight a boss. The open world is basically a huge useless HUB which you need to traverse to find the actual content of the game.

And talking about caves, good Lord, they were definitely not ashamed at all to recycle content. I have been in pretty much the same catacomb numerous times. Dungeons with extremely similar looks and patterns: you get into a cave, rest at the state of grace, go down stairs and find a locked door, then make your way through this little dungeon, pull a lever, come back to the start, the door is open, fight the boss. Also, the boss might be one you have already fought like 3 or 4 times already before, with slightly variation of attacks and carrying a different weapon. Still, it's already MUCH better than wandering that barren open world.

I'm also under the impression that From Software can't figure out anymore how to make the game more challenging to it's players other than making bosses faster, with extremely high poise, and with big combos that will lock you until they manage to break your defense and fuck you up. This is the "easiest" Soul game because you basically need to kill dozens of optional bosses in order to overpower the main ones.

Also fighting with big and slow weapons is a chore now, because the window you have now to damage the bosses is minimal before they restart their combo cycle. The balance that the previous games used to provide is pretty much gone.

And I won't even talk about the graphics and performance, this game runs worse in my computer than a lot of others that looks way better. But this is no surprise, and it's something that I can ignore as long as I'm having fun with the game.

But anyway, Elden Ring is like two steps backwards compared to all their previous games. Up until now, I always praised the level design of any Souls games, Bloodborne and Sekiro; but it is almost nonexistent in ER. After what they've done to Sekiro, I believed From Software was gonna be able to deliver their best next Souls game, but instead they gave me an unbalanced Boss Rush game with a useless and boring open world hub.

Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF

Edit: And because of this, some people in this thread traced my profile. A lowly degenarate that spend the day playing and praising Far Cry, Assassins Creed and Horizon, at my mother's basement, requiring for attention. The game might disappoint, but the hardcore fanbase never does.
lane kiffin roll GIF

OsirisBlack

Banned
I have been playing the game for quite some time now, but I expected so much better specially given how well received it was. It has so many flaws that would never have a pass for pretty much any other 3rd party franchise, that I can't even comprehend how it has been so highly regarded.

First, the main issue: The open world exploration SUCKS TREMENDOUSLY! I haven't been that much bored by exploration for so long. Not even Far Cry and Assassin's Creed have been this boring to explore, and I do consider them quite boring nowadays. There's no reward to wander around the map, other than that sense of finally finding a cave with some sort of decent level design to go through and fight a boss. The open world is basically a huge useless HUB which you need to traverse to find the actual content of the game.

And talking about caves, good Lord, they were definitely not ashamed at all to recycle content. I have been in pretty much the same catacomb numerous times. Dungeons with extremely similar looks and patterns: you get into a cave, rest at the state of grace, go down stairs and find a locked door, then make your way through this little dungeon, pull a lever, come back to the start, the door is open, fight the boss. Also, the boss might be one you have already fought like 3 or 4 times already before, with slightly variation of attacks and carrying a different weapon. Still, it's already MUCH better than wandering that barren open world.

I'm also under the impression that From Software can't figure out anymore how to make the game more challenging to it's players other than making bosses faster, with extremely high poise, and with big combos that will lock you until they manage to break your defense and fuck you up. This is the "easiest" Soul game because you basically need to kill dozens of optional bosses in order to overpower the main ones.

Also fighting with big and slow weapons is a chore now, because the window you have now to damage the bosses is minimal before they restart their combo cycle. The balance that the previous games used to provide is pretty much gone.

And I won't even talk about the graphics and performance, this game runs worse in my computer than a lot of others that looks way better. But this is no surprise, and it's something that I can ignore as long as I'm having fun with the game.

But anyway, Elden Ring is like two steps backwards compared to all their previous games. Up until now, I always praised the level design of any Souls games, Bloodborne and Sekiro; but it is almost nonexistent in ER. After what they've done to Sekiro, I believed From Software was gonna be able to deliver their best next Souls game, but instead they gave me an unbalanced Boss Rush game with a useless and boring open world hub.

Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF

Edit: And because of this, some people in this thread traced my profile. A lowly degenarate that spend the day playing and praising Far Cry, Assassins Creed and Horizon, at my mother's basement, requiring for attention. The game might disappoint, but the hardcore fanbase never does.

You think the exploration in AC games is better than the exploration in Elden Ring? That one comment almost invalidates your entire post, almost. Elden ring has TRUE exploration that is very rewarding to the point where you can play through the game and spend over 100 hours doing so then on your next playthrough discover something you never saw before. That's one of the best parts of the game.

I agree with you on the dungeons being recycled a bit too heavily.

The spells range from absolutely amazing to absolutely trash the balance is extreme. The big slow weapons? just get good. Just kidding, just kidding. I agree with the weapon balancing as the timing is very strict on certain weapons but it is like that in EVERY souls game so I don't know if you were expecting something different or if this is your first time in the souls/borne series. The game is one of the best so far this generation despite its flaws. Most of their flaws (my opinion) are technical and again that has always been the case with Fromsoft.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world

"PeoPle wHo HaVE OpinIONS DiFFerEnt tHAn MiNe ArE tROllInG"

NeoGaf isn't the shitty echo chamber you seem to want it to be

Top Bottom