• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EliteXC Heat: Kimbo V Shamrock, and two other heavyweights not in the main event....

Status
Not open for further replies.
VindicatorZ said:
He didn't even attempt to defend himself, that's why I think he threw it. I don't think he was that damaged. Of course since you are all in depth MMA experts you would know. And anybody who says kimbo threw the fight does not follow the sport :lol

That jab had no force behind it it seems, i've watched it twenty times. I mean you never know, but I don't think Kimbo is the scrub everyone makes him out to be. All his training had to account for something, not getting knockedout by a small jab to the chin in 10 seconds. It's possible, but I still think Elite XC can book to Kimbo to fight. He'll get another chance before being written off completely.

He didn't attempt to cover up because he is a brawler and he is inexperienced in the cage.
In a brawl when you get knocked down or fall down, you do not think about covering up you get to your feet at all costs as fast as you can.
Period.
He did not just late there, he was trying to sit up and get to his feet because the punches were really doing little damage and if it was not stopped he may have been able to bull his way up and carry on but MMA fights have the rule about "intelligently defending yourself".
You can not eat three or four unanswered clean hits and not expect a stoppage.

(Edited to remove the term "street fighter", it just sounds dumb)

yacobod

Banned
Outcast2004 said:
?????
They have been some of the best from the Elite cards so far.
(i understand that's not saying a lot though)

There's a market for it, why not get on board?

maybe because the competition level is dreadfully low, i understand you're crushing on carano, but come on, keep that shit off UFC ppvs

Blackface

Banned
This "He didn't cover up, so he threw the fight" bs is retarded.

Kimbo was out of it at the end. You don't need to be KO'd cold to be knocked out. Kimbo had no idea what was going on. When the fight ended, he attempted to take the ref down. His head was between the ref's leg, with an arm wrapped around.

Kimbo was out of it. It's as simple as that.

You also don't always need to be hit by a huge punch to go down if you get hit in the right spot. Kimbo's head even snapped to the side with that punch, and Seth didn't get much on it. However, it was the punches that followed up that were the ones that finished it.

Just look at Kimbo's face, it was opened up, and his eye was already swelling up, and this was what, 60 seconds after the fight ended?

Many punches, unless they are extremely clean, and really obliterate the person, will look much softer in slow-mo, but if you watch it sped up, he pounded on Kimbo.

I suggest some of you go out and train, instead of sitting in your basement saying he threw the fight because you can't be hurt by those type of punches.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I don't get it...why can't they weigh the clothes you are wearing before you step on the scale so you don't have to strip nude in front of everyone at the weigh in?

Not that I'm complaining...but what the fuck?

yacobod said:
maybe because the competition level is dreadfully low, i understand you're crushing on carano, but come on, keep that shit off UFC ppvs

My point actually has not much to do with Carano, as there is a market for it. With more exposure you get better talent.

All I'm saying is that if XC does fold (which it may very well), look for White to go out of his way to get her and build a division around her.

unomas

Banned
Tons of people were rooting for Kimbo, but look at the Cantrell fight and the Thompson fight. Those were both questionable at best and he got KTFO by a guy giving up 30 pounds who is a mediocre fighter at best.

Kimbowned! He got exposed, but he has heavy hands. He isn't going to stop training MMA, and his career certainly isn't over. He'll be back, but his credibility took a huge shot in the fight. I wouldn't doubt Elite had Ken paid off to take a dive for Kimbo in the fight anyway but obviously that fight didn't happen.

Hell, Elite had to pay Kimbo extra just to get in the ring with Seth. It just tells you at this point Kimbo doesn't stack up as being anywhere near a top fighter.

I do think UFC should carry womens fights though, they can be quite entertaining and Carano is so nice ;)

Blackface

Banned
Kimbo.jpg

Kimbo trying to take down the ref after getting KO'd.

I actually feel kind of bad for Shamrock, this would have been a fight he actually could have (probably) won and he doesn't run into those often.

Outcast2004 said:
My point actually has not much to do with Carano, as there is a market for it. With more exposure you get better talent.

All I'm saying is that if XC does fold (which it may very well), look for White to go out of his way to get her and build a division around her.

Dana White already said he's not interested in women mma. He's not dissing the women or anything, but there's no market for women mma for the UFC. As much as I like Gina Carano, women mma simply isn't as good as the average undercard ppv fight. Would you really want to pay to see a fight between 2 girls like Kelly Kobold? The typical UFC fan certainly wouldn't. I'm not against women mma, hell I think it is more legit than professional boxing if you ask me, but it'll need a couple more years and a lot more fighters before it can become remotely as good as anything else.

dem

Who didn't see this coming?

It was pretty hilarious how they were acting like Seth KO'd Fedor or something.

THIS IS ROCKY
SETH PETRUZELLI IS THE REAL LIFE ROCKY

:lol

Dunno. I watched videos of Cyborg on youtube. She's a beast. I don't think that pretty girl Carano stands a chance.

And why couldn't there be a market. They could put it on UFC tv (or whatever it's called) and put a high-caliber match on a card once in awhile.

Watching it again, and it sounds crazy to say it but I swear Kimbo's first thought was to go in for a take down but then stopped to throw a punch or something.

smurfx

get some go again
i don't want the ufc to show women's mma. let smaller org's like elite xc or strikeforce show them. i would much rather see the ufc create a 145lbs mens division than a women's division.

dem

smurfx said:
i don't want the ufc to show women's mma. let smaller org's like elite xc or strikeforce show them. i would much rather see the ufc create a 145lbs mens division than a women's division.

Truth

I dont give a shit about womens mma... Keep it out of the UFC.

Asbel

VindicatorZ said:
He didn't even attempt to defend himself, that's why I think he threw it. I don't think he was that damaged. Of course since you are all in depth MMA experts you would know. And anybody who says kimbo threw the fight does not follow the sport
Not being an ass but there are some of us who've seen this kind of thing over and over. The way Kimbo didn't defend himself intelligently is very common among new fighters or fighters not used to getting rocked. And yeah, the jab wasn't powerful but it was stiff enough for Kimbo's bull charge to knock himself out. Like he ran his face into a stationary baseball bat. You could see his neck take a quick 90 degrees turn in some of the gifs. That and the hit you don't see coming most easily floors you. It doesn't take much power either as in the infamous Herring kiss ko.

Herring_Kiss_KO.gif

n1n9tean

Banned
Wow that was pretty fucked up. I'd like to see a rematch where a real fight takes place. Until then, Kimbo better get some training on defense. :lol

Sean

Banned
I don't think it's over for Kimbo just yet.

If anything this will probably just increase anticipation for his next fight. All the haters will be wanting to see him get KO'd again and his fans will be wondering whether this fight was a fluke or not.

Timedog said:
cyborg has easily been on heavy doses of steroids. gross.

I'm kind of scared for Gina :(

And fuck I knew that Kimbo couldn't have lost that easily. I've never seen Kimbo bleed before. Even if Kimbo lost a fight he wouldn't bleed.

Proof here..

kimbosghostdn8.jpg

I want to download this fight but my work has all the sites blocked. Is there any link out there where I could directly download it to my computer?

mrbagdt

The Internet said:
I want to download this fight but my work has all the sites blocked. Is there any link out there where I could directly download it to my computer?
considering it is under 30 seconds long... i think there are several gifs in the thread that can help you out...

YYZ

Did you guys hear the commentator?

"IT CAN HAPPEN, BELIEVE!"

"GREATEST FIGHT IN THE HISTORY OF MMA!"

Krowley

unomas said:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/mm...t=Annv7ErSmdRiugQ98HTYa2Q9Eo14?urn=mma,112987

Bye bye elitexc. So they hinted to Seth not to take Kimbo down? Wow.

HOLY CRAP. I'm not surprised by that, but it totally kills their credibility. It will truly ruin them with serious MMA fans if it is true.

where they the ones that were handling that Kung Fu guy that nobody wanted to take down, or was it another outfit? The one with all the high kicks? He was a better technical fighter than Kimbo, and certainly had very good standup skills, but it was strange that nobody ever even tried taking him down.

Also, was just skimming through the thread and saw that many people were surprised that kimbo went down with such a light punch. In boxing terms that was what you call a flash knockdown. It can happen real easy early in a fight even if a guy has a great chin. Sometimes it's blamed on a guy not properly warming up. The followup punches are what finished things. the first punch just caused kimbo to shortcircuit for a second.

Boogie

HAOHMARU said:
Maybe that is why Ken Shamrock bailed out on the fight...didn't want to compromise his integrity?

This is...

Ken Shamrock you're talking about here.

smurfx said:

Silence. I honestly find the women fights to be more entertaining than most of the men's; they're usually more vicious.

-Clover

This fights are FAKE. I wonder if Gina Carano's fight was also faked?

Kimbo Slice vs Bo Cantrell

Bo Cantrell throws a couple of jabs that don't even try to connect, at 4:14 you can see kimbo does not hit him with his right hook yet Bo still gets knocked out.
start watching at the 4:14 mark
http://www.buzzhumor.com/videos/19540/Kimbo_Slice_vs_Bo_Cantrell_EliteXC

Kimbo Slice vs Tank Abbott

just watching this fight then watching tanks other fights you can tell tank was not fighting like he usually does, he does not cover/defend him self like he usually would
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7838340965302059755

dem

LOL

So Elite XC paid Seth to STAND with Kimbo

what a slimy fucking org

get that shit off tv

YYZ said:
Did you guys hear the commentator?

"IT CAN HAPPEN, BELIEVE!"

"GREATEST FIGHT IN THE HISTORY OF MMA!"

Yeah. Thought that was fucking hilarious. The overweight, glasses announcer pretending to be Bruce Buffer's voice double cracked me up.

Jim

500K for that? Shesh.

Below are the fighter salaries according to the Florida commission.

CBS Card:

(W) Seth Petruzelli -- $35,000 + $15,000 (win) = $50,000
(L) Kimbo Slice -- $500,000

(W) Jake Shields - $40,000 + $10,000 (win) = $50,000
(L) Paul Daley - $12,000

(W) Andrei Arlovski -- $500,000
(L) Roy Nelson -- $80,000

(W) Gina Carano -- $15,000 + $10,000 (win) = $25,000
(L) Kelly Kobald - $6,000

(W) Benji Radach -- $15,000 + $15,000 (win) = $30,000
(L) Murilo "Ninja" Rua -- $35,000

Preliminary Card:

(W) Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos -- $4,000 + $4,000 (win) = $8,000
(L) Yoko Takahashi - $2,000

(W) Conor Huen -- $2,500 + $2,500 (win) = $5,000
(L) Edson Berton -- $5,000

(W) Mikey Gomez -- $2,000 + $2,000 (win) = $4,000
(L) Lorenzo Borogmeo -- $1,500

(W) Nicolae Curry -- $750 + $750 (win) = $1,500
(L) Jorge Boechat -- $1,000

Also, Petruzelli has "clarified" his statement now:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/10/6/629656/fans-must-demand-an-invest
"What was meant to be said was that I wanted to keep the fight standing for myself because I knew that was what the crowd, the promoters, and everyone wanted to see because that’s more exciting than just taking someone to the ground," Petruzelli said. "That was my thing only. I wanted to keep it exciting so I decided to keep it standing. It had nothing to do with anybody else. That was all me."

Upon being asked directly whether EliteXC officials had even hinted that he could receive a bonus by keeping the fight standing, Petruzelli clarified that no such act had taken place.

"No," he responded. "Look, even the UFC gives knockout bonuses. Everyone gives knockout bonuses. There’s knockout bonuses, submission bonuses, all sorts of bonuses. I just wanted to keep it standing because I felt I could beat (Kimbo) at his own game."

Baker

Banned
-Clover said:

just watching this fight then watching tanks other fights you can tell tank was not fighting like he usually does, he does not cover/defend him self like he usually would

Or you know...

Tank

1. is old.
2. is washed up.
3. openly admitted he "trained" by just drinking vodka at bars every night.

I'm not sticking up for Kimbo at all, but come on. To me, the only "fake" part would be that Tank shouldn't have been in the ring in the first place.

So I guess Seth is done with EliteXC :lol

Dudes bailing the fuck out. I'm surprised that Seth went and outed the organization like that. He could have at least guaranteed himself a rematch with Kimbo and got some dollars there. Now he's just going to either retire or get killed in his next fight at UFC or any other organization.

Props for telling the truth though. Damn Kimbo. Wow. I still think he beat those other losers legit but its not like it matters since they are so washed up.

Jim

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Elite XC trying to pay for legitimacy.

That was Affliction's cash apparently in exchange for the heavy CBS marketing.

Ratings info also:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-excratings100608&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
Based on the fast nationals ratings, the show did a 2.65 rating and 4.31 million viewers from 9-11 p.m. (which aired live everywhere except the West Coast). That doesn’t factor in the 11-11:20 p.m. segment featuring the 14-second Kimbo Slice loss to Seth Petruzelli, which based on metered market data was the most watched part of the show and should slightly increase the final average.

“It was a great number as far as I was concerned,” said CBS senior vice president of program operations Kelly Kahl. “The people saying it’s the end of Elite XC and the end of Elite XC on broadcast television are misinformed.”

Kintaco

-Clover said:

Kimbo Slice vs Bo Cantrell

Bo Cantrell throws a couple of jabs that don't even try to connect, at 4:14 you can see kimbo does not hit him with his right hook yet Bo still gets knocked out.
start watching at the 4:14 mark

http://www.buzzhumor.com/videos/19540/Kimbo_Slice_vs_Bo_Cantrell_EliteXC

Do you even know what the fuck you're talking about man? Kimbo's whiffed punches can knock you the fuck out due to it's concussive forces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom