• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EliteXC Heat: Kimbo V Shamrock, and two other heavyweights not in the main event....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pel1300

OokieSpookie said:
Tim Sylvia? Has been
Hong-Man Choi? Kick boxer in his first mma event
Matt Lindland? Are you serious?

His three fights since '06 were jokes while he was ducking Randy and any other real fights.

uh..ok..

Now please give ur your HW top ten list.

pel1300

VindicatorZ said:
My uncle, Jorge Ortiz, didn't ref the Kimbo fight, they just both happen to be bald lol. He only reffed the Arlovski fight.

And you're not the first person to say he's a bad ref, he did the same thing with Antonio Silva vs Ricco Rodriguez on the last Kimbo undercard in miami. He seems to stand them up way too soon. My uncle is a 6th degree black belt in kenpo karate so I think he has a different backround than all this MMA stuff. He used to own a karate school and KO Boxing Gym in Miami where alot of MMA fighters would train, so I guess that's how he made a connection and ref's the elite XC fights. But I don't know how much he knows about MMA, or refereeing for that matter. Still, he does have alot of knowledge of martial arts.

And back about Kimbo, I still don't see how anybody thinks Kimbo was exposed. KIMBO THREW THIS FIGHT I'm sure of it. There's no way that little tiny tiny baby punch knocked him out of his world. I can't explain it, but Kimbo fucking threw himself down and didn't defend. The only explanation I can think of to throw the fight, is that Kimbo is sick of the fame and pressure. He wants out. He wants to take his money and be done with it. Understandable. Everyone loves to hate him, but he never claimed to be the best, he was always respectful of MMA and it's fighters. I just can't see in a million years all of his Bas Rutten training, for this. Nobody hit him harder than that little love tap in training camp? Yeah right, it's bullshit. It angers me, but I think Kimbo wanted to lose.

please tell your uncle to stop reffing.

His kind are what is ruining the sport.

Rotsu

Neo Member
VindicatorZ said:
So it was a one in a million shot to the nerve? Jesus...

It pisses me off so much, we didn't get to see Kimbo fucking fight. I don't give a shit about how good he is, it's exciting to watch, and he didnt even get a chance. He either got owned or threw the fight, I'll never know.

Its not one in a million. It happens a lot in boxing/UFC/etc fights. The reason why you dont see it in big fights because the fighters always guard up their chin. That pink hair guy may look like a wuss but he is definitely not. He's 1st punish had no wight behind it because all the weight he needed for the punch came from kimbo himself..... It looked like a week punch but its effective because it works like a counter using your opponent wight.

That pink hair guy is definitely a good fighter. He timed that 1st punish perfectly and went straight to the chin, he knows where to attack the big "tough" guys. It doesn't matter how strong you are. One clean hit to the chin is all it takes to knock you out cold.

You can call this a "lucky punish" that made him win. But i think Kimbo is just a stupid fighter who thinks power is all it takes to win.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
mrbagdt said:
man, i wish i had stepped up and called this more. i am not surprised at all, i just have not seen seth fight in quite awhile and he lost all his fights in the ufc... KOing someone on one foot while leaning against the fence? wow. also note- this does not speak to seths skill. it speaks to slices more than anything.

ROFL

lol i'm glad i read this post. Cuz i don't watch MMA alot...and I didn't think it was very plausible for someone to knock kimbo out from bitch stance when that mother fucker used to let people double his size wail on his face just for the fun of it.

This shit was THROWN, in the most spectacular way possible.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
VindicatorZ said:

It pisses me off so much, we didn't get to see Kimbo fucking fight. I don't give a shit about how good he is, it's exciting to watch, and he didnt even get a chance. He either got owned or threw the fight, I'll never know.

Not like I haven't been saying that for 2 pages. It was the perfect punch in the perfect location. Anyone who is suggesting that Kimbo threw the fight or "it was juts love taps" haven't looked at alot of MMA, boxing or even a fight. I don't care who you are, if you are charging like Kimbo was, and then a guy punches you in the right place, you are going down.

I assume Kimbo didn't know much about this guy, so he wanted to get him on the ground so he can pound him. But that punch hit him in the perfect spot.

One thing about this thread confirms what Dana was talking about in a interiew last year. There are alot of "fans" of MMA who have no clue what is going on and only watch in the hopes of seeing someone get knocked out. So maybe having a freak show like Kimbo isn't such a bad thing if it pulls in noob fans. The issue is that I have seen is the noobs only pay attention to the big names or freak shows. I have been at PPV parties where people are not paying attention at all until the main event. People didn't care about the 5-star matches taking place before it.

I think that Ultimate Fighter should be used to educate new fans. Get the to appreciate the sport, not the big names.

Sol.. said:
ROFL

lol i'm glad i read this post. Cuz i don't watch MMA alot...and I didn't think it was very plausible for someone to knock kimbo out from bitch stance when that mother fucker used to let people double his size wail on his face just for the fun of it.

Case in point. Yeah, Kimbo would throw away his meal ticket. Yeah, EliteXC would have their only mainstream star lose when they are in economic dire straits. and might not make it into 2009 Makes alot of sense to me.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
dskillzhtown said:
Not like I haven't been saying that for 2 pages. It was the perfect punch in the perfect location. Anyone who is suggesting that Kimbo threw the fight or "it was juts love taps" haven't looked at alot of MMA, boxing or even a fight. I don't care who you are, if you are charging like Kimbo was, and then a guy punches you in the right place, you are going down.

lol it sure wasn't the textbook knockout spot. Just a clean, square punch to the kisser and we've all seen kimbo take a hit like that just for funzies as a street fighter.

and it's a business. They could have a variety of reasons to have him go down. Or maybe HE himself could have a variety of reasons to betray EliteXC with a fall.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Slo said:
Some posts in this thread are even worse than hearing Kornheiser try to talk about MMA.

Don't you talk about Kornheiser THATS CROSSING THE LINE!

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Lol Kimbo got dropped by a guy 30 pounds lighter than him, with a short jab that he threw while on one foot. I can't think of a more embarrassing punch to put him down.

Mindlog

Carano grinds out win over Kobald

Highly popular Gina Carano showed off her striking skills en route to a unanimous decision over game, but outclassed Kelly Kobald. All three judges scored in favor Carano with the scores of 29-28, 30-27 and 30-27.

The 5-foot-8 Carano wasted no time taking advantage of her superior height and reach. She caught Kobald with a straight right hand that stopped the 5-foot-6 St. Paul, Minn., resident in her tracks.

But the punch did not diminish Kobald's determination to fight. She came forward only to eat another Carano right hand.

For much of the first round, it was Carano (7-0) landing straight right hands, a few left hooks and knees to the chin. When the opening round ended, Carano received a huge ovation from the crowd.

She would not disappoint in the second. Immediately, Carano delivered a straight right that found Kobald's chin.

The third round mirrored the first two as Carano was able to keep space between herself and Kobald with kicks and punches. Kobald, though noticeably smaller than Carano, never gave in.

But the dominating effort from Carano is sure to intensify talk of a showdown with Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos. In an earlier bout, Cyborg showed why she is considered the most likely fighter to hand Carano her first pro loss.

Santos punished Yoko Takahashi en route to a unanimous decision win. If a fight between Carano and Santos is to be made weight will be a sticking point.

Carano struggled to reach the 141-pound limit against Kobald (16-3-1). She failed to make the weight twice -- first tipping the scale at 142¾, then 142½. Only after removing all her clothing did Carano weigh in at 141 pounds.

It is unlikely Carano will have come down to 141 in order to face Santos, who fought Takahashi at a catch-weight of 148 pounds.

cool

Missed that weigh in, but the pictures are hilarious.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
ahhh, cbs has brought the casual fan to my off-topic forum!

Formless

I still want to see more Kimbo MMA fights. He's just an eccentric guy that's made it very far, even if he sucks. He needs to face more cans or at least people his level.

Blackface

Banned
Sol.. said:
ROFL

I suggest you learn about the sport.

Elite XC has poured millions of dollars into marketing Kimbo, who everyone knows is horrible, and should not be considered a fighter at all, just so they can get viewers. They made it a point to have him on all of their big and or CBS cards. The company was on Kimbo's back. Their plan was to dupe the casual fan into thinking Kimbo was any good, when, he wasn't, and everyone who knows even a little about MMA, or fighting in general, knew it. Kimbo was there only draw. It's as simple as that.

The EliteXC cards without Kimbo, get dog shit ratings. They even made it a point to make Kimbo the main event, on every one of their cards, when he hasn't ever fought a top 75 HW.

Kimbo losing, as we all know he would, was a gigantic disaster for Elite XC, as they have NOBODY now. AA will end up fighting Barnett for Afflication, and I doubt Tito will sign with them.

In terms of throwing fights, I suggest you look at some of Kimbo's other ones. Such as the fight where James Thompson had Kimbo's arms trapped for 2 minutes, yet the ref, who is good friends with Skala (and was in pictures on his Myspace prior), let Kimbo take the unanswered blows, until the round ended. That, is completely against the rules. Then the moment James Thompson was hit, he stopped the fight. Even though James as standing, smacked the ref for it, and was lol'ing at the post fight presser, where they also said he was practically dead, until he piped up and said "umm, I am in the room, and I am fine".

Then you have the Bo Cantrel fight, where Kimbo hit him in the arm pit, and he jumped on the floor and started tapping. Only to be met with 2 illegal punches to the back of his head. He then hinted the he was paid to lose on mma.tv, but could not outright confirm.

Kimbo is a joke, and so is Elite XC. Shaw is known among the boxing community to be one of the sleeziest, cheapest, and dirtiest promoters in the world. When he says "I have never been caught fixing a boxing fight", he means to say he has never been convicted of it. As shows he happened to be the co-promoter on have had their decisions reversed and ref's expelled by the NSAC, due to the fix being in

Blackface

Banned
Formless said:
I still want to see more Kimbo MMA fights. He's just an eccentric guy that's made it very far, even if he sucks. He needs to face more cans or at least people his level.

Here is the problem, there is nobody on Kimbo's level that isn't an old man. Kimbo really is that bad. Seth is bottom of the barrel HW. He is a super nice guy, but is simply not good. 99 percent of HW's who are 4-0 currently, and their fights took place anywhere outside of tough man contests and clubs, can beat Kimbo. Most LHW's who are 4-0 can beat Kimbo. There are MW's, such as Robbie Lawler, who would crush Kimbo.

I give Kimbo credit for a few things. He is humble in interviews. He knows he isn't good in comparison, and if it was up to him, he would fight anyone. He is just trying to make money, and took advantage of an opportunity. It's really Elite XC that is at fault here.

They refused to bring Kimbo up like a normal fighter. They shoved him in the Main Event, fighting against over the hill fighters, or bums. You can't become a better fighter if all you fight is cans. They even refused to put him against other good up and coming 3-0, 2-0 or 4-0 fighters. They had the opportunity, but refused.

Kimbo has been mis-managed. If he is serious about MMA, he should ride out his contract, where, chances are he will lose again, unless they put him in their against Ken Shamrock. Then go to much smaller shows, that get no TV time, or news time, and work his way up like a normal fighter.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Trax416 said:
I suggest you learn about the sport.

Elite XC has poured millions of dollars into marketing Kimbo, who everyone knows is horrible, and should not be considered a fighter at all, just so they can get viewers. They made it a point to have him on all of their big and or CBS cards. The company was on Kimbo's back. Their plan was to dupe the casual fan into thinking Kimbo was any good, when, he wasn't, and everyone who knows even a little about MMA, or fighting in general, knew it. Kimbo was there only draw. It's as simple as that.

The EliteXC cards without Kimbo, get dog shit ratings. They even made it a point to make Kimbo the main event, on every one of their cards, when he hasn't ever fought a top 75 HW.

Kimbo losing, as we all know he would, was a gigantic disaster for Elite XC, as they have NOBODY now. AA will end up fighting Barnett for Afflication, and I doubt Tito will sign with them.

In terms of throwing fights, I suggest you look at some of Kimbo's other ones. Such as the fight where James Thompson had Kimbo's arms trapped for 2 minutes, yet the ref, who is good friends with Skala (and was in pictures on his Myspace prior), let Kimbo take the unanswered blows, until the round ended. That, is completely against the rules. Then the moment James Thompson was hit, he stopped the fight. Even though James as standing, smacked the ref for it, and was lol'ing at the post fight presser, where they also said he was practically dead, until he piped up and said "umm, I am in the room, and I am fine".

Then you have the Bo Cantrel fight, where Kimbo hit him in the arm pit, and he jumped on the floor and started tapping. Only to be met with 2 illegal punches to the back of his head. He then hinted the he was paid to lose on mma.tv, but could not outright confirm.

Kimbo is a joke, and so is Elite XC. Shaw is known among the boxing community to be one of the sleeziest, cheapest, and dirtiest promoters in the world. When he says "I have never been caught fixing a boxing fight", he means to say he has never been convicted of it. As shows he happened to be the co-promoter on have had their decisions reversed and ref's expelled by the NSAC, due to the fix being in

why is it that everybody assumes when someone says Kimbo threw the fight they mean EliteXC had him do it. Who stands to benefit most when Kimbo looks like a monumental failure?

Formless said:

I think they just need to stop putting him in the main event while their title fights are on midcard.
They need to let him build his game and see where it takes him.
The same goes for Gina to be honest, because the whole "the face of women's MMA" is really crappy for one person to carry and sooner or later she WILL lose.
It is horrible promoting and I really hope that Dana learns something from it because he was doing the same with Brock.

Boogie

Sol.. said:
why is it that everybody assumes when someone says Kimbo threw the fight they mean EliteXC had him do it. Who stands to benefit most when Kimbo looks like a monumental failure?

:lol, what, you think the UFC would pay Kimbo to dive?

GTFO.

thirty

Banned
why can't elite spin this and create their next show with kimbo vs shamrock?

kimbo vs shamrock
carano vs cyborg
nick diaz vs eddie alvarez
robbie lawler vs ???
brett rogers vs antonio silva

elite can still put together a few more cards. heck it's free mma, f u haters for rooting for elite's demise. where would gina carano fight if elite goes down? ufc is still very much against women's mma.

thirty said:

kimbo vs shamrock
carano vs cyborg
robbie lawler vs ???

elite can still put together a few more cards. heck it's free mma, f u haters for rooting for elite's demise. where would gina carano fight if elite goes down? ufc is still very much against women's mma.

Elite will spin the hell out of it, they already started at the event acting like Slice was going out of his way to take the fight and that it was a huge deal that he couldn't properly prepare (while not daring to mention that his opponent could say the same)

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Boogie said:
:lol, what, you think the UFC would pay Kimbo to dive?

GTFO.

lol never know Dana is one badass mother fucker.

but Kimbo is a businessman first. If i had alot of money...i'd have no qualms about pitching anything to him.

Sol.. said:
lol never know Dana is one badass mother fucker.

but Kimbo is a businessman first. If i had alot of money...i'd have no qualms about pitching anything to him.

Dana is a smart business man, he knows Kimbo is crap and he knew that it would only be a matter of time before it is shown.
Please do not come into any of the UFC event threads.

op_ivy said:
ahhh, cbs has brought the casual fan to my off-topic forum!

No kidding. Now we have to endure a bunch of little cheerleading bitches who think Kimbo is legit and was either downed by a lucky punch or threw the fight (Dana paid for it, LOLOLO).

I hope this reveals Kimbo for the fraud he is. I think even Shamrock would have destroyed him, unless Ken was dumb enough to try and stand and trade punches. Kimbo to me has always been a slightly stronger Tank Abbott, who never done much of anything in UFC.

I loved the introduction, "popular internet street brawler" or something to that effect :lol

Facism

BlackMage said:
wait, people actually think Kimbo threw the fight? :lol

fucking noobs.

Only hardcore Kimbo fans who thought he was the second coming on christ. Now to protect their ego's, rather then accept that Kimbo really is shite they make excuses up.

When James "Glass Jaw" Thompson looks good in a fight, you know the guy fighting him is really, really bad.

OokieSpookie said:
Not really sure why people feel the need to make personal attacks on Slice when it is EliteXC that should be their targets.

He was fighting relative nobodies long before he ever got in dealings with EliteXC. I remember one of his fights where he actually turned out to be facing a legitimately tough guy and his posse jumped as soon as he started to get his ass beat.

He's a fraud now, he was a fraud then, and he'll always be a fraud. EliteXC is the organization that brought him to a national level but his game has remained constant; kick cans and have your posse hype you up as a God. His new posse just happened to be EliteXC.

Big-E

OokieSpookie said:
Not really sure why people feel the need to make personal attacks on Slice when it is EliteXC that should be their targets.

QFT.

WickedAngel said:
He was fighting relative nobodies long before he ever got in dealings with EliteXC. I remember one of his fights where he actually turned out to be facing a legitimately tough guy and his posse jumped as soon as he started to get his ass beat.

He's a fraud now, he was a fraud then, and he'll always be a fraud. EliteXC is the organization that brought him to a national level but his game has remained constant; kick cans and have your posse hype you up as a God. His new posse just happened to be EliteXC.

Kimbo knows he is not very good, that is why he is trying to learn how to fight. EliteXC made all the claims, not Kimbo. Kimbo was just a poor guy just tying to survive the game of life. He was given and opportunity that nobody in his situation would have rejected. You shouldn't be saying Kimbo is a fraud because he himself knows he isn't great and any knowledgeable mma fan knows that. EliteXC is who you should be focused on, not Kimbo.

WickedAngel said:

It was youtube.
There are thousands of wannabe hard asses on youtube, but luckily they do not all have some idiot trying to create a modern day side show as happened with Slice.

SyNapSe

VindicatorZ said:

one in a million? No, its the whole point of the fight. Both strikers and BJJ guys can end it in a second with the right strike/move. It's not just about being a tough caveman and standing toe2toe smashing each others faces.

Radach vs Ninja was the best fight. Ninja showed good heart surviving the early beating.

Strikeforce on friday night.. Billy Evangelista showed HUGE heart and chin, man I cant believe he survived that early drubbing

edit: I like Kimbo, he's been modest and respectful. It looked like he didn't want to touch fists with Seth at the beginning? That was surprising.

Everyone saying Kimbo took a dive are dead wrong and clearly dont follow the sport. First, the jab didnt knock him out, it took him off balance since all his dumb ass weight was moving into it. Second, he didnt even try to defend himself. Theres a huge difference between a KO and TKO. Of course that jab didnt knock him out...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
sooperkool said:
then again, he can say that its an obvious fluke and dismiss it...

Anyone here who's done any boxing can tell you that flukes aren't terribly unusual. In a gym you'll see someone go down from a lucky or weird shot every single day, even with headgear. It just happens. There are several reasons - one of the most common is a simple overload - brain trying too hard to play catch up with a series of shots ad takes the simple way out and shuts down.

Not to mention the amount of accumulated damage Kimbo has.

That said, anyone who's been around boxing also knows that folks throw fights.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Boogie said:
also note: MMA isn't boxing.

It will be eventually. Soon as it gets big enough, You'll have Don Kings, scandals, bullshit and multiple un-unified belts. I CAN'T WAIT!

y2dvd

I don't think that fight was thrown, unless...Dana White paid Kimbo good money to do it! JK

It looks like he just got rocked slightly, then slipped. Kimbo's mistake was not covering up instinctively like most pros do. Blame it on being a noob.

He didn't even attempt to defend himself, that's why I think he threw it. I don't think he was that damaged. Of course since you are all in depth MMA experts you would know. And anybody who says kimbo threw the fight does not follow the sport :lol

That jab had no force behind it it seems, i've watched it twenty times. I mean you never know, but I don't think Kimbo is the scrub everyone makes him out to be. All his training had to account for something, not getting knockedout by a small jab to the chin in 10 seconds. It's possible, but I still think Elite XC can book to Kimbo to fight. He'll get another chance before being written off completely.

MrHicks

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
It will be eventually. Soon as it gets big enough, You'll have Don Kings, scandals, bullshit and multiple un-unified belts. I CAN'T WAIT!

boxing is still bigger then mma?
who still cares about boxing?

really? boxing is still big these days?

VindicatorZ said:

if you think he threw the fight you are a moron. Plain and simple. What POSSIBlLE reason would he or Elite have to have him lose to some no name UFC reject alternate? I don't know if you are being serious, but if you are, you are an idiot.

The punch might not have looked like much but it was pretty damaging considering the condition of Kimbo's eye afterwards. He got caught, plain and simple. It happens to everyone, just that most guys with more experience and training would have known to try and protect themselves afterwards instead of trying to stand up and take more shots to the head, forcing the ref to stop it.

dskillzhtown said:
I don't care who you are, if you are charging like Kimbo was, and then a guy punches you in the right place, you are going down.

So Kimbo=Bald Bull?

thirty said:

kimbo vs shamrock
carano vs cyborg
robbie lawler vs ???

I assure you, if Elite closes and Carano becomes a free agent, they'd go out of their way to make a division just for her.

She's the real deal and hellaciously marketable. Sexy, as well as skilled and charismatic. She's the total package and White would be stupid to pass her up.

yacobod

Banned
Outcast2004 said:
I assure you, if Elite closes and Carano becomes a free agent, they'd go out of their way to make a division just for her.

She's the real deal and hellaciously marketable. Sexy, as well as skilled and charismatic. She's the total package and White would be stupid to pass her up.

honestly i would prefer if they did not add a female division to the ufc, i dont want PPV space wasted with these poor fights

BSsBrolly

Banned
:lol

I can't believe people actually think Kimbo threw the fight! I guarantee Kimbo gets beat just as bad whenever he fight a B level fighter or higher. You can bet Elite XC will not give him any of those...

C and D level fighters from here on out. Just like every other fight Kimbo has had other than last nights. :lol Kimbo is a joke. Anyone that follows this sport knows that already. All I wanted was to see Kimbo get his ass kicked to shut the uninformed up. Looks like I have to hope he fights another B level fighter... Maybe then they will see him for the fraud he is.

I didn't watch the event, but the women's division looks good. A Garano vs Cyborg match should draw some audiences, if the promotion is right.

And from reading a lot of the posts. It just seems like they need to retool their heavyweight division and maybe try to cherry pick some talent.

HE DIDNT THROW THE FIGHT, HE JUST FUCKING SUCKS!!! Can everyone see that? He bull charged directly in to a man's fist because he sucks. He didnt defend himself because he sucks.

Boogie

MrHicks said:
boxing is still bigger then mma?
who still cares about boxing?

really? boxing is still big these days?

The big-money boxing fights still outdraw UFC, but other than that, MMA is slowly overtaking boxing, imo.

UFC outgrossed HBO boxing in 2006.

VindicatorZ said:
He didn't even attempt to defend himself, that's why I think he threw it. I don't think he was that damaged. Of course since you are all in depth MMA experts you would know. And anybody who says kimbo threw the fight does not follow the sport :lol

That jab had no force behind it it seems, i've watched it twenty times. I mean you never know, but I don't think Kimbo is the scrub everyone makes him out to be. All his training had to account for something, not getting knockedout by a small jab to the chin in 10 seconds. It's possible, but I still think Elite XC can book to Kimbo to fight. He'll get another chance before being written off completely.

Like Ninja said, if you think he threw the fight, you're a moron. You have to think about why he would throw the fight, and there is no rational reason for him to do so.

yacobod said:
honestly i would prefer if they did not add a female division to the ufc, i dont want PPV space wasted with these poor fights

?????
They have been some of the best from the Elite cards so far.
(i understand that's not saying a lot though)

There's a market for it, why not get on board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom