• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Empire Magazine's Greatest 100 games of all time [Reader Voted]

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
honestly it's still kind of a shock to me whenever i see people who don't think that half-life 2 is the best game ever

it's like people telling that they're not fond of eating or they think they could do without air

honestly it's still kind of a shock to me whenever i see people who don't think that half-life 2 is the best game ever

it's like people telling that they're not fond of eating or they think they could do without air

If Half-Life 2 is eating, then the first Half-Life is making love. Or something.

Also, they suck up to TLOU's story, but then go and put Fallout 3 there instead of New Vegas.

EDIT: Call of Juarez is a better game than Portal, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, and System Shock 2.

Eazie

Neo Member
Definitely don't agree with RE4 being better than RE remake...both are wonderful games, but the difference in the level of intensity in the horror and dread that you feel when you compare the two alone puts Remake on top for me...just saying.

Definitely don't agree with RE4 being better than RE remake...both are wonderful games, but the difference in the level of intensity in the horror and dread that you feel when you compare the two alone puts Remake on top for me...just saying.

They set out to do different things though. As a piece of quality game design I would absolutely put them on the same level. Although REmake is a little tighter of an experience, whereas RE4 is more ambitious.

Myshkin

CTRL-F
"Master of Magic"
"Railroad Tycoon"
"Final Fantasy VI"
"Red Storm Rising"
"Loom"

Result not found.

WTF kind of list is this? I thought it had something to do with greatest of all time.
Let me try something more artsy.
CTRL-F
"Leather Goddesses of Phobos"
Result not found.
Okay, so I have no idea what they were going for.

Keby

78. Counter-Strike

Hercules-Is-Disappointed-Yell-.gif

This list is complete garbage. 99% of the games are from like 2007 onward. Wtf

Anticol

Banned
I know TLOU in the #1 spot is ridiculous but GTAV as the best GTA, above RDR and in the top 10 games is even more ridiculous.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Well it's clear that 20 years from now everyone will remember The Last of Us more than Super Mario Bros. and Tetris. Sure, those are fun, but I ask you: how much emotion is there in those, mh? None, that's how much!

ScouserPants

Neo Member
Last of Us was a great game, but "Greatest of All Time"??? NO. This kind of list needs to be populated and/or rearranged with games that helped revolutionized the industry. Zelda, Tomb Raider, Silent Hill, RE, Tetris, etc need to be MUCH higher than they are.

Well it's clear that 20 years from now everyone will remember The Last of Us more than Super Mario Bros. and Tetris. Sure, those are fun, but I ask you: how much emotion is there in those, mh? None, that's how much!
Joke post? Those games have already been out 30 plus years already. I can't imsgine a world where the last is will stand the test of time better than Mario

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Ctrl + F "Unreal Tournament" - no results
#1 The Last of Us

6KDgqjI.gif

This must have been written by an intern that was born in 1998. edit: oh it was reader votes. that makes sense then. list is useless

Gilby

Yeah. Although, IMO, from an objective point of view Vanquish is their best game (it's my second favourite though). It's absolutely great from start to finish and nothing lasts longer than it should (in this aspect it's similar to RE4... No coincidence I guess considering the director). Its only downfall is the scarcity of the post-game content.

Speaking of Vanquish, are there any chances of it coming to PC someday? Or was published in some way that this isn't likely? I really want to play it but don't have either system it was on.

TopGun

Banned
Annnnnd another website's opinion on video games are discarded.
What else is still good that's worth reading, GAF?

CTRL-F
"Master of Magic"
"Master of Orion"
"Railroad Tycoon"
"Final Fantasy VI"
"Red Storm Rising"
"Roller Coaster Tycoon"
"Loom"

Result not found.

WTF kind of list is this? I thought it had something to do with greatest of all time.
Let me try something more artsy.
CTRL-F
"Leather Goddesses of Phobos"
Result not found.
Okay, so I have no idea what they were going for.

I agree. None of those have a Game Informer cover so they can't be good though. C'mon son.

Eazie

Neo Member
They set out to do different things though. As a piece of quality game design I would absolutely put them on the same level. Although REmake is a little tighter of an experience, whereas RE4 is more ambitious.

Agreed, they did set out to make different experiences...I probably should have worded my post differently. I should have said that, to me at least, the scarier and more dreadful atmosphere Remake made it a more enjoyable experience, and therefore, that's why I would raking it higher than RE4.

Certinty

Can't believe The Last of Us is still as overrated as ever. Either way at least some amazing games are right up there.

I like you.

Have you read the reader comments in the article that explained why they voted for Shenmue I & II?

Too many fond memories to choose from! I first played the game around the time when it was first released and couldn't get over how amazing the graphics, the level of freedom, the awesome soundtrack and the gripping storyline were. It's a game that made me laugh out loud as well as feel moved, being emotionally connected to a lot of the characters. The level of immersion is still incredible. No other game has ever had that effect on me.

crying.gif

So Resident Evil 4 was also overrated back then? Because from 2005-2006 everyone was naming Resident Evil 4 best game ever, it was on any top 100 of all time list as number 1 or 2.

Look at Resident Evil 4 now, nobody is talking a lot about it anymore since that era, the same will happen with Last of Us, it will always be remembered as a masterpiece, but after some years, you wont hear that much talk about it, that's normal, because then its time for another video game to get its spotlight.

...what? That's simply not true. It's still considered one of the best games of all time here. Just look at the results to "GAF's Greatest Games of All Time 2011 Edition": #2 Resident Evil 4

Top Bottom