• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Empire Magazine's Greatest 100 games of all time [Reader Voted]

krYlon

Mario 64 at....16. Under games like RDR and Skyrim.

You can't be serious Forbes.

The historical significance of Mario 64 can't be overstated. Its influence can be seen in pretty much every 3D game that's come out since. There is no game that represents such a huge leap forward for games. There probably won't ever be again unless someone 1) invents the holodeck and 2) launches it with a game that's a brilliant execution of the new medium.

PS - Nothing against RDR and Skyrim. They're both great.

Tomb Raider was released same year as Mario 64 but never seems to get the same credit for its historical significance :(

FACE

Banned
That's one of the worst top 10s I've ever seen, who voted for this?

It's READER voted so direct your abuse and accusations of 'garbage list' at randomers on the internet.

Oh, suddenly everything makes sense.

Marcel

Bayonetta is one of the best action games ever made if not the best. It's a lot better than many games in the list.

I'm afraid the game where the little kid is invisible to enemies because reasons is the better game. In fact it's the best game of all time. The readers said so. Bayonetta isn't even on the list so it has to sit at the nerd table with the kid who eats his boogers.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
TLOU better than FF7 or MGS

hLnhotj.png

Only feigning shock, though. These lists are always bad.

pastrami

Ok, can you describe or explain why TLOU is one of your favorite games of all time? Because I don't see how a game with cliche story (post apocalyptic survival story we have seen many times in gaming/ other media and done much better ) and average gameplay with passable A.I (Naughty Dog got away with their scripted E3 demo) that emphasis on stealth could be the best game ever.

Where does the game innovate or push gaming in general? I'm not saying that TLOU is a bad game, but in my opinion it's highly overrated.

Why does it have to push gaming or innovate to be a fun game? What bearing does innovation on how fun a game is?

The AI wasn't perfect, sure, but really, what games have AI that are good and don't have weird quirks? I know people love to cite Halo and Half-life for their AI, but I've beaten both, and don't feel that their AI is any better (or worse) than the AI in The Last of Us. I think the only game where I've actually been impressed with the AI is the original FEAR.

The story is filled with cliches, but what story doesn't have it's fair share? The ending was still superb, and the story was well told and well acted.

The stealth was the best part of the game. I loved that I could engage, and disengage at will. There was no fail state for being noticed. You always had options to get out of a jam if you were spotted.

As for what I loved about the game? I loved the gunplay. Every gun felt unique and powerful. The hit response was great. And weapon handling was excellent, as were the controls. The game had great atmosphere, and the game could be incredibly intense (particularly areas with a lot of clickers/stalkers). I loved that there were upgrade elements (both for Joel and his weapons). I loved the wide linear level design. A lot of fun playgrounds to sneak around and fight in. I loved the seamless mix of melee and gun-based combat. And the mix of stealth gameplay and direct combat.

Was the game perfect? No, obviously not, I think the game has it's share of imperfections. But I also loved Resident Evil 4, and I have a ton of issues with that game as well. Unlike seemingly most people, I can find flaws in things that I love, and still enjoy them regardless.

EDIT: It honestly seems like most people just turn a blind eye to flaws in the games they love while nitpicking games they don't enjoy. People are so convinced that the game they didn't enjoy must have been flawed, and so they look for reasons why. But the games they loved? Just so good, there could be nothing wrong with it.

Siegcram

For sure. It's sad those games don't have the audiences they deserve.
TW101 has way too many poorly balanced minigames. It would tie Bayonetta for Platinum's best game if its gameplay weren't so uneven. The combat and presentation are brilliant, the genre switches are not.
Metal Gear Rising is ridiculously underrated, BTW.
Can't say I agree, the genre switch-ups made sense for me and never took me out of the game. Especially robo Punch-Out was brilliant.

Bayonetta is one of the best action games ever made if not the best. It's a lot better than many games in the list.
Sure, but I'd put Devil may Cry over it when it comes to influence on the genre.
All three would make my list in seconds though.

Marcel

Goddamn, you are truly shaken by this.

Have you ever played The Last of Us, out of interest?

I rented it on Redbox and finished the campaign over a weekend. Why do you ask? Am I to receive the generic "You must have not played The Last Of Us!" chestnut?

And I'd appreciate you not assuming my feelings, thanks. It makes you look foolish and reaching for things to say.

Rixxan

loving this TLOU salt tbh

any of these types lists are a joke, and any one of 10 or so games could be placed at #1 because at the end of the day there's opinion involved

but to say TLOU isnt one of those ~10 games is forced blinders / hipster contrarian

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Goddamn, you are truly shaken by this.

Have you ever played The Last of Us, out of interest?

I get the impression that many of the more extreme TLOU haters have never played it

pastrami

I rented it on Redbox and finished the campaign over a weekend. Why do you ask? Am I to receive the generic "You must have not played The Last Of Us!" chestnut?

And I'd appreciate you not assuming my feelings, thanks. It makes you look foolish and reaching for things to say.

Is saying that any better than saying this?

Maybe if you only remember games from the N64 on, sure.

Lol at the negativity. Its like you guys are saying there is no place on the internet to have a poll about what your favourite game is. Only critics are allowed to compose a list!

Toxi

Banned
loving this TLOU salt tbh

any of these types lists are a joke, and any one of 10 or so games could be placed at #1 because at the end of the day there's opinion involved

but to say TLOU isnt one of those ~10 games is forced blinders / hipster contrarian
Or you just have the opinion that it's not one of those one games.

It's okay to like different games.

SmokyDave

I asked because the game has clearly affected you quite deeply.

It's cool though, a brief scan of your post history told me everything I needed to know. You really do have quite the issue with this game.

Is saying that any better than saying this?
Oof. That's the kinda KO that sends the poster flying backwards into some breakable barrels.

Marcel

It's cool though, a brief scan of your post history told me everything I needed to know. You really do have quite the issue with this game.

And you have a hard-on for all things Sony so it's all relative. The name SmokyDave told me everything I needed to know.

Why does it have to push gaming or innovate to be a fun game? What bearing does innovation on how fun a game is?

The AI wasn't perfect, sure, but really, what games have AI that are good and don't have weird quirks? I know people love to cite Halo and Half-life for their AI, but I've beaten both, and don't feel that their AI is any better (or worse) than the AI in The Last of Us. I think the only game where I've actually been impressed with the AI is the original FEAR.

The story is filled with cliches, but what story doesn't have it's fair share? The ending was still superb, and the story was well told and well acted.

The stealth was the best part of the game. I loved that I could engage, and disengage at will. There was no fail state for being noticed. You always had options to get out of a jam if you were spotted.

As for what I loved about the game? I loved the gunplay. Every gun felt unique and powerful. The hit response was great. And weapon handling was excellent, as were the controls. The game had great atmosphere, and the game could be incredibly intense (particularly areas with a lot of clickers/stalkers). I loved that there were upgrade elements (both for Joel and his weapons). I loved the wide linear level design. A lot of fun playgrounds to sneak around and fight in. I loved the seamless mix of melee and gun-based combat. And the mix of stealth gameplay and direct combat.

Was the game perfect? No, obviously not, I think the game has it's share of imperfections. But I also loved Resident Evil 4, and I have a ton of issues with that game as well. Unlike seemingly most people, I can find flaws in things that I love, and still enjoy them regardless.

EDIT: It honestly seems like most people just turn a blind eye to flaws in the games they love while nitpicking games they don't enjoy. People are so convinced that the game they didn't enjoy must have been flawed, and so they look for reasons why. But the games they loved? Just so good, there could be nothing wrong with it.

Look , I love Shenmue and it's one of my favorites but the game has flaws especially if you play the game now, so why it was rated so high in this list? The game was innovative and brought something new to gaming. according to this list The Last of Us is the best game ever made, how so? The game didn't innovate, didn't bring anything new so what are the qualities of the game? You talk about stealth being good in TLOU, stealth games with bad A.I are considered bad games. Gunplay? Resident Evil 4 maybe not the first games to implement behind the shoulder camera and good gunplay, but it's the game that made that popular and it has better level design than TLOU. You said the story is filled with cliches and we should accept that because all games share this, but I'm again asking what are the qualities of TLOU? Also I don't understand the criteria they followed to make the list, it's inconsistent.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

Oof. That's the kinda KO that sends the poster flying backwards into some breakable barrels.

It's a fantastic game. A truly fantastic one. I'm on my 2nd (or third) playthrough now because trophies are a weakness of mine. Although those multiplayer trophies are a bit of a turn off. The game has horrible mulitplayer.

But still, the best game of ALL time? Come on. As good as TLoU is now, I personally don't see it being a game that ages gracefully and I don't mean visually either. Not many 3D last gen games will age well visually, that's just a pitfall of 3D.

Toxi

Banned
Lol at the negativity. Its like you guys are saying there is no place on the internet to have a poll about what your favourite game is. Only critics are allowed to compose a list!
No, everybody is allowed to make a list.

We're also allowed to make fun of shitty lists.

Phinor

Decent list all things considered but seeing OOT once again in the top five makes me wonder if I still made a mistake by selling my 3DS copy of Ocarina of Time a bit too early, or if it just isn't a game for me. I put some solid 5 hours into that game but it was pretty damn dull experience up to that point. I don't even consider myself a dudebro that needs explosions, but for some reason that game just lacked anything interesting to keep me hooked. And on that note, quite interested to see how A Link Between Worlds compares. I've had that in my shelf for few months but haven't had the time to play it yet.

Can't say I agree, the genre switch-ups made sense for me and never took me out of the game. Especially robo Punch-Out was brilliant.

Sure, but I'd put Devil may Cry over it when it comes to influence on the genre.
All three would make my list in seconds though.

Bayonetta was an evolution of the genre, but I agree with you. Devil may Cry started the genre, but sadly it didn't make the list which is a joke. I don't understand the criteria they followed to make the list, because it's inconsistent.

antitrop

Bayonetta was an evolution of the genre, but I agree with you. Devil may Cry started the genre, but sadly it didn't make the list which is a joke. I don't know the criteria they followed to make the list, because it's inconsistent.

Devil May Cry 1 is such a great game, I think it deserves a spot on a top 100. I think it has the best atmosphere of the series, as well. Really pulled off the "spooky demonic castle" thing perfectly.

Those underwater first-person shooting sequences, though... KAMIIIIIIIIYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

SmokyDave

It's a fantastic game. A truly fantastic one. I'm on my 2nd (or third) playthrough now because trophies are a weakness of mine. Although those multiplayer trophies are a bit of a turn off. The game has horrible mulitplayer.

But still, the best game of ALL time? Come on. As good as TLoU is now, I personally don't see it being a game that ages gracefully and I don't mean visually either. Not many 3D last gen games will age well visually, that's just a pitfall of 3D.
I've never bothered with the multiplayer personally. For me this game is about Joel and Ellie getting their bond on whilst we traverse a familiar and yet corrupted land.

For me it's the best game of all time, yeah. I think Streets of Rage 2 might be my favourite, but TLoU is a better game. I think it'll age fine. Ocarina of Time is still up there and that looks and runs like arse. It's still a phenomenal game though, so you let that slide.

Marcel

Because the "you didn't actually play the game you dislike" is weak-ass reasoning. I ultimately disliked Watch Dogs too but people don't do the "you didn't actually play it" garbage when I bring that up.

It's a waste of everyone's time and only makes you look like a fanboy. You like thing, OK. I dislike thing. OK.

Siegcram

Bayonetta was an evolution of the genre, but I agree with you. Devil may Cry started the genre, but sadly it didn't make the list which is a joke. I don't understand the criteria they followed to make the list, because it's inconsistent.
The criterion was "random Empire.com user" so I'm not surprised at the lack of japanese games outside of FF.

Top Bottom