• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Empire Magazine's Greatest 100 games of all time [Reader Voted]

Cyrano

It was called gaming's Citizen Kane for stupid reasons and that descriptor was roundly laughed at. It is a great and important game on its own merit and doesn't need to be compared to a movie.
Is there a source for who started this dumb meme?

Empire is a shit Famitsu-tier rag so it's pretty easy not to take the GameFAQs poll they held seriously.

I bought Empire for years and loved it - great magazine. I was actually very interested in reading the results of this poll by its readership. The fact that they voted Shenmue, Final Fantasy VII, GTA V, TLoU and Red Dead Redemption all into the top ten signifies to me that they've got a semblance of good taste.

I mean, this is a gaming forum, people are going to react and discuss its place in the industry. This thread obviously struck a cord with people that don't think its the greatest game of all time.

There's "striking a chord" in the reasonable sense, such as TLoU winning a "Greatest 100 games of all time" poll, and then there's "striking a chord" in the petulant sense, such as throwing a hissy fit that a critically-acclaimed title that has resonated with a wide audience in the span of a mere year made it to the top spot. You don't have to agree with it winning, but it's not like it's a particularly odd choice to win.

antitrop

.... Ok I'm going to ignore a lot of other points here, some of which I actually agree with.

Let me get this straight: You're trying to say that the Last of Us has the best gunplay out of all TPS's? You're kidding right? Tell me you're joking?

I liked the multiplayer, but the actual gunplay can't be described as anything other than mediocre.

I can't possibly understand how The Last of Us has mediocre gunplay. In fact, the gunplay in TLoU is what I consider to be Naughty Dog's greatest improvement over the Uncharted series.

I get that any "Top [#] ______" list is going to be mad subjective, but I disagreed with either the placement or even just what they put on the list for at least most of these. Useless from my point of view, I certainly hope other people got more out of it.

Raptor

.... Ok I'm going to ignore a lot of other points here, some of which I actually agree with.

Let me get this straight: You're trying to say that the Last of Us has the best gunplay out of all TPS's? You're kidding right? Tell me you're joking?

I liked the multiplayer, but the actual gunplay can't be described as anything other than mediocre.

Yes, TLOU has teh best gunplay in any third person shooter to this day, nothing comes close, well maybe Gears games come close but still don't reach the feedback TLOU gunplay gives.

It has incredible hit detection, incredible sound hits, incredible gore, incredible controller feedback, you can feel the damn kills, unmatched headshots.

I don't know what else I can say.

nkarafo

Ctrl+F

Dungeon Keeper
Yoshi's Island
Donkey Kong Country 2
Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Super Metroid .... #94
Metroid Prime .....#72

TLOU #1 ???

This list is silly as hell.

Mman235

It has nothing to do with hype, modern releases are doing more things, better than past videogames.

Of course it does; I've seen plenty of these lists where recent flavour-of-the-month games go at the top and then are nowhere to be seen on the next similar list (or much lower down than their initial placement despite the list not being overly different). I don't doubt that TLOU will rightfully be pretty high on future lists of this sort for the time being, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was somewhat lower down in a few years, and not necessarily because a bunch of superior games have come out.

While there have been plenty of changes to games over the years that can be reasonably argued to be objective improvements a lot of "good design" is related to in-vogue trends and nothing more. Hell, prior to the Souls games and certain Indie games making it fashionable again there was a short period where ever putting the player out of their element was regarded as objectively bad design (I remember this because I fucking hated it), then those games came along and took off and people suddenly started realising again that maybe always bending over to the player's whims didn't lead to objectively better games. There have been various other periods too where things regarded as "the future" fell out of favour soon after; remember when FMV games were a thing? *insert obligatory "yeah, now" troll here*

Toxi

Banned
Really, how can you be considered as one of the best games of all the times if you weren't released before the 00s? How does that make sense?

Super Mario Bros. is a much better game than Devil May Cry 3 for example. SMB has great game design, controls, influenced every single other game that ever came out, and featured a realistic character that you could relate to.

DMC3 is like a child's action fantasy, but the child is stupider than a normal child, so he ends up imagining some young white guy with white hair and a sword he wouldn't really be able to handle.

If he was a normal child, he'd imagine something like Legend of Zelda. Zelda was a real hero.
I think you're laying the joke a little too thick.

I love Shenmue but this list is wrong on so many levels. The Last of Us is really overrated and over praised and I can't believe anybody who has been playing for 10 years at least could consider TLOU to be the best game he/she ever played.

Verendus

Banned
What's really sad about this all is, what happens in 10 years when no one cares about Zelda or Mario or Metroid, and Nintendo is even more irrelevant than they are today (or buried somewhere in the Pacific)? When Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto and Space Dandy 3 are in the top ten lists and people forget these precious gems of our childhoods?

What happens to all the times we spent in our times?

I think you're laying the joke a little too thick.
Well if this is how you're going to respond to someone speaking from their heart with sincerity, I know what I need to do.

Leave. Good bye, good sir.

Freeman

Banned
Im just glad that HL2 ain't close to No. 1 in that list.

Game is pure garbage.
Eh, I wouldn't call Half Life 2 garbage or bad. Its a good game now, it was excellent back in 2004.

I hope that next time I can muster up the fortitude to remain away from this sort of thread.

Game is a flying camera simulator that doesn't even have a voice, it may give the impression of choice by the way its encounters are designed but in reality is very linear, gunplay is nothing to write home about in fact I can think 5 games rigth now with better gunplay than it, story is the regular occupied city that needs to be liberated in other words boring, characters other than the main "camera" are nothing extraordinary nor groundbreaking, they just voice their parts decent enough to not be called pure trash by the media of that time, game has terrible checkpoints and terrible way of comunicating to the player what to do in some areas, I can't say shit about the main "camera" because it doesn't have a fucking voice.

Like I said, at least it has good gore.

This sort of opinion should get you on an FBI watch list, straight up mad.

Ganondorfo

How come Final Fantasy Tactics is not on that list, it is the best in that genre, Empire should have mentionned that game, just because what it did for the srpg genre.

nib95

Banned

It has the best gunplay and/or combat of any third person shooter out there imo. The sense of weight, impact, ferocity, gore, sound effects, animations etc are all unmatched. Mixed together with highly competent stealth combat, melee combat, mixture of weapon types, intelligent scenario and level design, variety of enemy types that mix up gameplay, enemy AI, and the survival esque, dynamic real time crafting and upgrade system, it just works so damn well.

nkarafo

OOooh, its a film/movies magazine. I didn't know that since im not familiar with it at all.

That explains everything.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It has the best gunplay and/or combat of any third person shooter out there imo. The sense of weight, impact, ferocity, gore, sound effects, animations etc are all unmatched. Mixed together with highly competent stealth combat, melee combat, mixture of weapon types, intelligent scenario and level design, variety of enemy types that mix up gameplay, enemy AI, and the survival esque, dynamic real time crafting and upgrade system, it just works so damn well.

Marcel

How come Final Fantasy Tactics is not on that list, it is the best in that genre, Empire should have mentionned that game, just because what it did for the srpg genre.

A popularity poll narrow on the subject of important but maybe not as widely popular anymore Japanese games? I don't believe it! ;)

Hoje0308

Banned
I don't get what you are saying, why would something that is niche make it easier to be a cultural phenomenon?

I would argue that right now minecraft is by far and away the biggest cultural and popular hit in gaming right now. That game is in the hands of kids everywhere. Would argue that right now minecraft is a more important game than TLOU using that definition. (It's probably more important to game design as well as it will get many clones. By no means do I think minecraft is a better game I am just talking about importance here.)

I was not trying to put anything in my favor, I just view "importance" as being those two categories I mentioned before and I personally don't feel TLOU fits either.

As for your feelings on playing TLOU that's great. Just like many people agree with you on that feeling of a new kind of experience I am sure many people agree with me or any other of people. There are groups of people that had that experience for X many games and they can all be argued as being important for that same reason you are arguing TLOU is important. That seems to be a personal reason, not a game design/mechanics reason, just cause you or I feel that way about a certain game doesn't mean that game is important to the evolution of gaming as a whole.

My point is that it's easier for something to have an impact on society at large when it's unexpected. FFVII was an example of a niche genre (In the West) of a niche form of entertainment crossing over into the mainstream. As big as games have become, it seems like it would be hard for a title to come along and do the same thing because so many people are already gamers and a lot of us have been doing it long enough to be a little cynical and to have developed attachments to other titles that came along earlier in life. I didn't explain myself well, so I can see how it seemed like an odd statement.
I get what you're saying about importance now though. I'm just not sure I agree that it's a necessary factor for judging the merit of a title. As you said, Minecraft fits the bill, but is it really a great game? What about Angry Birds, or Farmville? Those games generate more money than most traditional forms of entertainment could ever dream of, yet you'd be hard pressed to find them on any "Best of" lists.
Your last paragraph seems to echo my one, if you go back and read it again. I did say that myself and many others had that experience with TLoU, but also acknowledged the fact that other people had a similar experience with other games. I also went out of my way to say that I didn't think there was anything wrong with that.
Anywho, we've been going on long enough here. Agree to disagree.

Actually, yes it can. That's the beauty of opinions. Now stop trying to act as if your are based on fact.

Frillen

Level design is great, except for in the last major mission.
The one with the corridors and military soldiers. It's pretty much two areas with boring surroundings, made worse with the fact that you get the Assault Rifle with plenty of ammo, which made that chapter incredible easy. It's like they ran out of time there at the end.

Marcel

I bought Empire for years and loved it - great magazine. I was actually very interested in reading the results of this poll by its readership. The fact that they voted Shenmue, Final Fantasy VII, GTA V, TLoU and Red Dead Redemption all into the top ten signifies to me that they've got a semblance of good taste.

Empire suckles from the teat of the movie industry in an absolutely eye-roll worthy way. At least Vanity Fair tries to speak truth to power sometimes. Empire is happy getting fed under the table and asks for seconds.

antitrop

It's right up there with Resident Evil 4 and Vanquish. :)

I love Shenmue but this list is wrong on so many levels. The Last of Us is really overrated and over praised and I can't believe anybody who has been playing for 10 years at least could consider TLOU to be the best game he/she ever played.

I've been gaming over 30 years Tlou is one of my favorite games ever.

nkarafo

TLOU is now a cultural phenomenon that has an important impact in our society?

Man this game is starting to become a little bit overrated around here i feel.

nib95

Banned
Level design is great, except for in the last major mission.
The one with the corridors and military soldiers. It's pretty much two areas with boring surroundings, made worse with the fact that you get the Assault Rifle with plenty of ammo, which made that chapter incredible easy. It's like they ran out of time there at the end.

Yea, though I've heard it's a bitch in Grounded. My cousin told me he essentially had to stealth the whole segment.

This list is kinda fucked up...

Bioshock above Half-Life 2? That's nonsense right there

Resident Evil 4 at 27 and below things like Batman Arkham City...Gotta stop this is making me irrationally angry.

Ganondorfo

TLOU is now a cultural phenomenon that has an important impact in our society?

Man this game is starting to become a little bit overrated around here i feel.

So Resident Evil 4 was also overrated back then? Because from 2005-2006 everyone was naming Resident Evil 4 best game ever, it was on any top 100 of all time list as number 1 or 2.

Look at Resident Evil 4 now, nobody is talking a lot about it anymore since that era, the same will happen with Last of Us, it will always be remembered as a masterpiece, but after some years, you wont hear that much talk about it, that's normal, because then its time for another video game to get its spotlight.

Reader votes so list is too influenced by current games. Seems weighted by people who were like 8 when N64 games came out.

No SMB3?
GTAV over San Andreas?
Sonic in the 50s?
Twighlight Princess ahead of Link to the Past?

... planetscape torment... elite... the fuck.

Steel

Banned
Yes, TLOU has teh best gunplay in any third person shooter to this day, nothing comes close, well maybe Gears games come close but still don't reach the feedback TLOU gunplay gives.

It has incredible hit detection, incredible sound hits, incredible gore, incredible controller feedback, you can feel the damn kills, unmatched headshots.

I don't know what else I can say.

The multiplayer is fun because of the low ammo, crafting, teamwork focused nature of it with stealth elements.

The single player is fun for the same reasons with a heavier emphasis on stealth but minus the teamwork.

I love both of these elements, and love the multiplayer for it. However, the gunplay isn't a huge part of the experience here, the hit detection might be excellent, but I don't agree that you feel the kills to the extent you're saying you do or that the headshots are anywhere near unmatched. You mention gears, that's a game I would instantly say has better headshots, hell even Mass Effect 3 has better headshots and I wouldn't say it has good gunplay.

The game excels at being a teamwork based TPS where your actions relative to your teammates matters a lot more than how you use your gun, and that's fine. But I can't agree that the gunplay is great.

Top Bottom