• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Empire Magazine's Greatest 100 games of all time [Reader Voted]

ujhlCC6.png

These are kinda poitless threads (and lists). No matter what the list has it gets hate because pretty much every person have vastly different list.

The last of us is a fantastic game, and i think that it could very well be the greatest game yet for a lot of people. Just like any other great game.
I mean, being offended by a list. How can you come to a thread with about 100 games, and agree with everything, it's impossible.

BGMNTS

Last of Us has been out for 20 minutes and its best game of all time.. :D

Nice to see some great games in there I wasn't expecting though.

Kade

yeah we should just stop posting in this treat so that stupid list doesnt get anymore clicks...

No. This is a discussion forum and we are going to discuss it because it's inoffensive and worth discussing. If you feel so strongly about another person's opinion differing from yours then feel free to share your own and why it's objectively superior.

Anyways, I like when non-Gaming outlets post their top games lists. You see the same games on gaming outlets lists so it's nice to see what type of games that people outside of that circle with a different perspective have. It's not super different or anything because it looks like the same games are showing up here but with different rankings among different games. I don't agree with most of their picks and placements but I think it's cool to see.

TLOU, eh? At least it's not OoT. It has definitely earned a rightful place in the top 20, but number one after just a year, that's jumping the gun.

Not enough older games on here.

96 games are better than Galaxy 2. Sure.....

Zero games are better than SMG2. This list lost me right away

I love The Last of Us.. Seeing it voted in the top 10 is amazing. But it being higher than super Mario 64, by 15 spots no less?!

List is garbage

97. Super Mario Galaxy 2
71. Super Mario Galaxy

BquZQ9q.gif

Yeah also this I don't understand. Not only Galaxy is easily in the top... 50 AT LEAST, Galaxy 2 is simply Galaxy 5 times better. That list is random, they just picked the games that HAD to be on the list, and put them at random.

Trago

8 and 16 bit games pretty much don't matter do they?

I don't agree with this list overall. Waaaay too many modern titles.

Super Metroid, Galaxy 1 & 2 are too low and Call of Juarez shouldn't be anywhere near this list. They also picked the worst Crash out of the original trilogy.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
These are kinda poitless threads (and lists). No matter what the list has it gets hate because pretty much every person have vastly different list.

I posted this article because it's a good read (if you have the time), there's nothing pointless about that. Also this was a poll of all their readers, not a committee of 4 or 5 people (I voted myself)

Kezen

Banned
TLOU would be nowhere near my top 10 games I've played.
If I was to make a list Deus Ex would top it, Planescape Torments close second.

nib95

Banned
Not a bad list. Lots of my fave games of all time in their top 20. FVII for whatever reason will still always be my number one.

I am the exact opposite. I thought Ocarina of Time -and still think- is an overrated, boring and uniteresting game, with weak puzzles

To be fair, all the puzzles in a Zelda game are not complicated.

and a vast world where there is not much to do except chasing skull tarantulas.

There is a interesting to-do list in the game:

• Getting the Big Goron sword is a cool journey.
  • Getting all the bottles.
  • And of course, getting all the Piece of Hears.

edit: oh, it's reader voted

that explains why it's garbage

also explains Skyrim and Fallout 3 being the only Bethesda representation

that's always the quickest way to judge whether or not a list was cobbled together by dudes who wouldn't know solid game design or writing if it punched them in the teeth. "CTRL+F, "Skyrim", "Fallout 3", oh cool no reason for me to read any further later y'all"
Lol. I was wondering why Fallout 2 was missing completely and Fallout 3 was so high. And why Planetscape: Torment and Baldur's Gate 2 (or in general many PC classics actually) were so low (lol, at least they made it to the list..).

Timeaisis

I think it's pretty clear as to why things have fallen where they have:

1) It's fan voted. This is most likely why it lacks older titles and skews more towards modern titles. Inevitably, their voters skew towards younger generations.

2) Empire is a film/tv website (read: a movie community). I wonder what game a movie community would rate as the best of all time?
Heh. heh. heh. See what I did there?

Final Fantasy VII, Shenmue, TLoU and GTA V all in the top ten.. you done good Empire readers. You done good.

Seriously though, muthafukkin' Shenmue in the top ten! Makes me so happy.

Gurish

Aβydoς;125532587 said:
It is. 94.
They're saying there are 93 games better than Super Metroid LOL!

Also I loved this part:

64. Silent Hill 2
63. The Walking Dead

AHAHAHAHAH FUCK YOU.

People can argue for hours about each pick at top 10, but putting Silent Hill 2 below TWD (and i liked it for what it was but still...) that's just fucking wrong, i feel like there is no "subjective" in that, if you like video games it's just wrong.

Serrato

25. Fallout 3

Ctrl+F Fallout 2.

No entry.

Skyrim over Planescape. No Suikoden. No Persona. No Super Mario Bros 3.

Nope.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Is The Last of Us really THAT good?

I haven't played the game so I'm curious. It is up to the level of Ocarina of Time and Half-Life 2?
Not even close to as good as those two. Better plot though so from that point of view it makes sense for Empire to call it better.

FTF

I posted this article because it's a good read (if you have the time), there's nothing pointless about that. Also this was a poll of all their readers, not a committee of 4 or 5 people (I voted myself)

Ok this actually explains things.

Ugh, I don't even have any words for this list. Reminds me of a "best consoles of all time" list a while back where the 360 took the number one spot.

Burt

The top 25 is pretty decent general consensus stuff that's been repeated over the years, although I haven't actually played TLOU. Little unreasonable to expect their opinion of most things beyond that point to correspond to yours.

I'd put The Wolf Among Us over SH2 and TWD.

Discussing+opinions+on+the+Internet_c1afbe_4776885.gif

Top Bottom