• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Engadget: Xbox is poised to dominate the next console generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dabaus

Banned
Warning: Shameless self shchilling, I said this 7 pages back:

Microsoft started this generation out with the assumption theyd roll sony in north America, had the benefit of the doubt from almost all third parties, had Marketing deals with:
-Call of Duty,
-Fifa,
-Battlefield 4,
- Fallout 4,
-The witcher 3
-Dark Souls 3
- The first look at next metal gear solid 5, which they lied and said it was exclusive

-and had Titanfall and Rise of the tomb raider as full blown exclusives.

-And first party exclusives like Halo 5, Quantam Break, Ryse, Killer Instinct, Spark, and Forza.

All of this was in the first 2 years of this generation. And they still shit the bed.

This time their dealing with a Sony that has a:
- 2:1 lead world wide
-doubled up on exclusives,
-Japense developers seeing 90:10 sales splits and
-western third parties seeing 60 to 70 splits,
-and unlike the ps3-ps4 transition, a much healthier sony financially than they were before.

As for cloud streaming, Sony bought onlive patents and Gaikia for streaming back in 2015. The idea sony isn't preparing for streaming is ridiculous.

Of course Microsft will do better next gen, they couldn't do worse. Time will tell what the power of infinite money can do though.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I think at the very least it's going to be a far fiercer competition than this one was. And that's great. Whenever one gets out too far ahead they get anticompetitive and stagnant while the underdog fights hard. The closer to 50/50 it is the better by me, probably won't get quite there but they can't do worse than the 2:1 split they currently have.

I hope both Sony and Microsoft are paranoid on launching the weaker console and at the higher price too, force them to be the best they could be, that and aggressive game roadmaps.

Last edited:

onQ123

Tell me again why it's Sony who y'all say isn't prepared for game streaming?

The latest SuperData report shows subscription service PlayStation Now ahead of the competition in quarterly revenues.

According to the SuperData report, game subscription services brought in $273 million during 2018’s third quarter, 52% of which was attributed to PlayStation Now.

Revenue from PS Now totaled $143 million, and EA’s Access services contributed $90 million or 33%.

The differences in percentage for EA services were as follows: EA Access (Xbox One) 16%, Origin Access Premier 9%, Origin Access (PC) 8%.

Xbox Game Pass contributed 15%, or $41 million, to overall subscription revenues during Q3 2018.
https://www.vg247.com/2018/11/10/playstation-now-143-million-lead-earner/

onQ123

I don’t think revenue would be the right way to gauge whether Sony or Microsoft are more prepared. Also Gamepass was never about streaming.

They bought a streaming company for under $400 million in 2012 & now they are making more than that a year off of streaming , I think they have some idea of what they are doing.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
They bought a streaming company for under $400 million in 2012 & now they are making more than that a year off of streaming , I think they have some idea of what they are doing.

And this is the thing that frustrates me the most about this console streaming conversation. People so easily like to act like Sony isn't already making A half a Billion a year on streaming and the number will keep going up from here. And they've been doing it for at least 3+ years. It's constantly being fine-tuned and getting better. It now offers PS4 downloads too. It wouldn't surprise me if by the time the PS5 is released if it's not making close to A Billion a year.

Some people want to act as if MS will be the first company to even try to stream video games to TVs.

onQ123

And this is the thing that frustrates me the most about this console streaming conversation. People so easily like to act like Sony isn't already making A half a Billion a year on streaming and the number will keep going up from here. And they've been doing it for at least 3+ years. It's constantly being fine-tuned and getting better. It now offers PS4 downloads too. It wouldn't surprise me if by the time the PS5 is released if it's not making close to A Billion a year.

Some people want to act as if MS will be the first company to even try to stream video games to TVs.

They lose sight of reality & ignore facts just to parade their own thoughts.

Pallas

Never said they didn’t know what they are doing, and I think some others think that when bigger players enter the pond, it might be more difficult for them to compete at a more competitive pace.

I don’t think Sony is going anywhere though,I think worst case scenario they get bought out by someone like Amazon or Google in the future and maybe keep the name and brand for it’s global recognition and continue business as usual.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

And after Gaikai they also bought the other startup that was creating and patenting latency optimised technology for games streaming, video encoding and decoding, as well as scaling such solutions on remote cloud setups (OnLive) and then they built their console to hanheld streaming solution (Remote Play), and then spectator and remote multiplayer features (PS4 Remote Play and Share Play)...

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Never said they didn’t know what they are doing, and I think some others think that when bigger players enter the pond, it might be more difficult for them to compete at a more competitive pace.

That's similar thinking to people saying that MS were the creators of Direct-x and Windows and "oh you" wait till they get into the console business and challenge Sony and Nintendo....Well, that bit of gusto with a side dish of" "those deep wallets" of MS are going to squash these smaller companies.......

It's been several gens since those predictions and strong convictions were spoken. The N and the S are still standing, hell, Nintendo is even doing its own thing and still outselling MS at the minute....

Foxbat

Banned
You can stream PS2, PS3, and PS4 games RIGHT NOW! They are LITERALLY ahead of the game when comparing them to Microsoft. Now can MS catch them and even pass Sony? Yes, but lets stop taking the marketing hype from MS and talking about as if they are already doing it.

My point was simply that it takes a heavy investment in order to stream games. Sony has been doing it for awhile now with very mixed results. The last time I tried it, it was better than the first, but it still needs to get better.

Also PSNOW is available in select regions. They haven't expanded it like they outlined at the outset. It's also now available on less devices than previously. This means that Sony either won't or can't afford to keep expanding it. Especially if PSNow is supposedly raking in all this money.

Sony currently has a streaming service in place while MS doesn't. Nobody is disputing that, but anyone who knows anything about the infrastructure needed to fully expand and make streaming competitive knows that what Sony currently has won't cut it... and they really can't afford to build it out unless they sell the farm to do so. And let's not be obtuse. If they want to compete in the future, they will need to invest in beefing up server centers.

People are hyped about MS doing it, because it's already a well established fact that MS already has the infrastructure in place, and they have the money to build theirs out even further.

Sony's already played their hand at the streaming game. Everyone already knows what Sony is capable of bringing to the table. Nobody knows what hand MS has, we only know that they have several more cards to play with than Sony.

Gamernyc78

Banned
"Everyone knows what Sony is capable of bringing to the table" No everyone already knows Sony has been doing streaming for years and have a foundation. Sony is constantly evolving their services and if you think that "thts it for Sony streaming" you dont pay attention to the evolution of Sony and how great they can be at being innovative and bringing new features. We dont know what Sony is capable of only what they show us as they grow. Sony will battle this blow for blow and do some things better. It's just how they do. Next up! "Oh Microsoft is now in the VR space their going to kick Sonys ass" lol right right we've been hearing this type bs for years now

Last edited:

demigod

Fucking Christ you guys go hard with the drama. No one said Sony was going to bow out of the race. No one even hinted at it - I sure as hell didnt. I said Sony will have a challenge next gen and Microsoft doesnt need to sell a shit load of hardware to dominate - and they dont. None of what I said is set in stone, other than Microsoft having the edge over Sony with Cloud streaming, and its true.

Why you mad? Sum ting wong? You can dish it but you can't take it.

My point was simply that it takes a heavy investment in order to stream games. Sony has been doing it for awhile now with very mixed results. The last time I tried it, it was better than the first, but it still needs to get better.

Also PSNOW is available in select regions. They haven't expanded it like they outlined at the outset. It's also now available on less devices than previously. This means that Sony either won't or can't afford to keep expanding it. Especially if PSNow is supposedly raking in all this money.

Sony currently has a streaming service in place while MS doesn't. Nobody is disputing that, but anyone who knows anything about the infrastructure needed to fully expand and make streaming competitive knows that what Sony currently has won't cut it... and they really can't afford to build it out unless they sell the farm to do so. And let's not be obtuse. If they want to compete in the future, they will need to invest in beefing up server centers.

People are hyped about MS doing it, because it's already a well established fact that MS already has the infrastructure in place, and they have the money to build theirs out even further.

Sony's already played their hand at the streaming game. Everyone already knows what Sony is capable of bringing to the table. Nobody knows what hand MS has, we only know that they have several more cards to play with than Sony.

Supposedly, lol. YOU FUNNY.

and then spectator and remote multiplayer features (PS4 Remote Play and Share Play)...
These particular features needs to be reiterated in the conversation.

I can put my copy of Risk of Rain into my disc drive, boot it up, start a party with a friend, and Share Play with him/her by offering the second controller. This allows them to play a strictly local-multiplayer-only game with me over the internet.

That means my console is not only accepting their inputs, but it is also streaming it back to them in a reasonable timeframe.

If a person can "stream" a game from an individual console with low enough latency to allow both players to play online together, why on earth would Sony's infrastructure struggle to stream games from a server farm? This "logic" baffles me and really shows the ignorance of those who doubt Sony's chops in this area.

Pallas

That's similar thinking to people saying that MS were the creators of Direct-x and Windows and "oh you" wait till they get into the console business and challenge Sony and Nintendo....Well, that bit of gusto with a side dish of" "those deep wallets" of MS are going to squash these smaller companies.......

It's been several gens since those predictions and strong convictions were spoken. The N and the S are still standing, hell, Nintendo is even doing its own thing and still outselling MS at the minute....

Lol contrary to the popular belief that the Xbox had “bags upon bags of money” the division was more or less a low priority upon the greater scheme of things related to Microsoft, of course new leadership happened and things are changing, new players are going to change the landscape and I don’t mean Microsoft. Sony will be fine if they don’t repeat the PS3 mistake, but I think it’s a real possibility that someone much bigger eats/buys them out to get a quick and demanding foothold on the landscape. Before you ask or assume, I don’t mean Microsoft potentially buying them.

Also you botched up your quote of my post.

Gamernyc78

Banned

I can put my copy of Risk of Rain into my disc drive, boot it up, start a party with a friend, and Share Play with him/her by offering the second controller. This allows them to play a strictly local-multiplayer-only game with me over the internet.

That means my console is not only accepting their inputs, but it is also streaming it back to them in a reasonable timeframe.

If a person can "stream" a game from an individual console with low enough latency to allow both players to play online together, why on earth would Sony's infrastructure struggle to stream games from a server farm? This "logic" baffles me and really shows the ignorance of those who doubt Sony's chops in this area.

Share play was one of if not the best features of this generation. Under utilized by many but damn it's great. My son is constantly share playing games with his friends so they can test it out. Add to tht the share play mp joining aspect it also has. I mean the other competitors didnt even have a response to tht until this year when Microsoft added or are in the stages of something lower level tier via mixer or something but nowhere as capable.

demigod

Lol contrary to the popular belief that the Xbox had “bags upon bags of money” the division was more or less a low priority upon the greater scheme of things related to Microsoft, of course new leadership happened and things are changing, new players are going to change the landscape and I don’t mean Microsoft. Sony will be fine if they don’t repeat the PS3 mistake, but I think it’s a real possibility that someone much bigger eats/buys them out to get a quick and demanding foothold on the landscape. Before you ask or assume, I don’t mean Microsoft potentially buying them.

Also you botched up your quote of my post.

Excuses. 500mil TV deal(thank your saviour Phil), over 2billion for Minecraft, then there's also Gears of War/Coalition. Stop acting like MS didn't spend a penny. Also the bags upon bags of money is from the same xbox fans saying MS will kill Sony because of deep pockets.

Pallas

Excuses. 500mil TV deal(thank your saviour Phil), over 2billion for Minecraft, then there's also Gears of War/Coalition. Stop acting like MS didn't spend a penny. Also the bags upon bags of money is from the same xbox fans saying MS will kill Sony because of deep pockets.

Pretty sure that deal happened under the new leadership, the Minecraft one. No one is acting like that wtf I just said they are spending more on gaming since they got a new CEO after Ballmer.

demigod

Pretty sure that deal happened under the new leadership, the Minecraft one. No one is acting like that wtf I just said they are spending more on gaming since they got a new CEO after Ballmer.

You guys wanna make up your minds? Who's fault is it, Ballmer or Terry Myerson now? I can't keep up with the excuses.

Foxbat

Banned
"Everyone knows what Sony is capable of bringing to the table" No everyone already knows Sony has been doing streaming for years and have a foundation. Sony is constantly evolving their services and if you think that "thts it for Sony streaming" you dont pay attention to the evolution of Sony and how great they can be at being innovative and bringing new features. We dont know what Sony is capable of only what they show us as they grow. Sony will battle this blow for blow and do some things better. It's just how they do. Next up! "Oh Microsoft is now in the VR space their going to kick Sonys ass" lol right right we've been gearing this type bs for years niw

PSNow is now available on fewer devices than it was a year or so ago. Sony has scaled back PSNow, rather than expand it. That isn't an opinion or speculation. It's a simple fact.

Pallas

You guys wanna make up your minds? Who's fault is it, Ballmer or Terry Myerson now? I can't keep up with the excuses.

“You guys”? Sorry what excuses exactly?

I thought it was a pretty common assumption that Xbox wasn’t high on Microsoft’s totem pole until Satya took over and placed Phil in charge? Am I wrong?

Gamernyc78

Banned
PSNow is now available on fewer devices than it was a year or so ago. Sony has scaled back PSNow, rather than expand it. That isn't an opinion or speculation. It's a simple fact.

And do you know why they scaled it back? It wasnt because they have given up on streaming and just want to be stagnant. Also Sony has evolved adding downloads to games and streaming PS4 games when it didnt have them few years ago. Also building a library of several hundred games. "This isnt opinion or speculation , it's a simple fact". They play chess like any company.

Again my comment still stands "we" dont know what Sony has in store for us in the streaming front and if you think they will fall back on their laurels you'll be eating crow just like the arm chair know it alls that made previous predictions online such as "oh Sony doesnt have ps4 games on psnow bcus their infrastructure isnt capable (that was complete bs and just Sony waiting for the right moment), or "oh Sony doesnt allow downloads of games bcus psnow isnt capable (we know how tht turned out)". Again Sony will evolve and offer things when buisness wise it benefits them. Competition playing catch up bodes well for Sony because it pushes them to offer more but please dont act as if they cant or wont offer more robust streaming features as time goes on to match or better competition.

Last edited:

Tarkus98

Yes they did indeed scale back, which by the way was intentional and well documented. The reason was to focus on the service to make it better. Once accomplished Sony has always intended to re-expand the service to additional devices. So instead of continuing to offer a subpar experience to many devices (as some people have said) the restricted it to the few devices they could better control while improving the service.
It is currently much improved from where it started so turns out it was a smart move. By next gen they should be better prepared to roll it back out to additional devices.

Pallas

I like how you act surprise, hilarious.

Lol what’s hilarious is you pulling up an old post just to prove a rather silly thing. I considered both responsible after that, After all it was Ballmers ingenious plan to buy Nokia. Mojang proved to be a much better investment.

Microsoft had an opportunity to also buy Minecraft back before 2014, I think there’s a NeoGAF topic about it. If you’re curious for read.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ms-c...-chance-to-buy-minecraft-before-2014.1438365/

But I’ll ask again, “You guys”?

I like how you aren’t adding anything to the discussion on a Microsoft topic other than your negative attitude.

Pallas

Yes they did indeed scale back, which by the way was intentional and well documented. The reason was to focus on the service to make it better. Once accomplished Sony has always intended to re-expand the service to additional devices. So instead of continuing to offer a subpar experience to many devices (as some people have said) the restricted it to the few devices they could better control while improving the service.
It is currently much improved from where it started so turns out it was a smart move. By next gen they should be better prepared to roll it back out to additional devices.

Which is wonderful that they are spreading NOW on multiple devices.

thelastword

Banned

I mentioned shareplay and remoteplay along with a successful Psnow for years ongoing to Jigsaah as verifiable knowledge and execution in the streaming and networking aspects of games, but no response of worth so far. Multi-player on streamed games is tough but Sony has been doing it for years..... They have also been investing lots into this and the PSN infrastructure, especially for the new gen....
Don't forget the 1 billion + for rrod before that, and of course all the money they lost this gen for underperforming exclusives; QB, SOT, SOD2, SO,
Ryse etc.....Resorting to basically giving gamepass away shortly after launch, by that I mean, heavy discounts on that service whilst already losing revenue from the games they put on the service day 1....

All the new acquisitions means new and more staff to pay, investments in new games. Even on the hardware side, the Xbox consoles are/were always discounted from msrp throughout the year... All of this hurts the bottomline... It sure is great when there's heavy demand for a piece of hardware at msrp......It means your profit margins are higher on hardware.

demigod

Lol what’s hilarious is you pulling up an old post just to prove a rather silly thing. I considered both responsible after that, After all it was Ballmers ingenious plan to buy Nokia. Mojang proved to be a much better investment.

Microsoft had an opportunity to also buy Minecraft back before 2014, I think there’s a NeoGAF topic about it. If you’re curious for read.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ms-c...-chance-to-buy-minecraft-before-2014.1438365/

But I’ll ask again, “You guys”?

I like how you aren’t adding anything to the discussion on a Microsoft topic other than your negative attitude.

You got caught but keep making up excuses. Keep moving that goalpost.

Foxbat

Banned
And do you know why they scaled it back? It wasnt because they have given up on streaming and just want to be stagnant. Also Sony has evolved adding downloads to games and streaming PS4 games when it didnt have them few years ago. Also building a library of several hundred games. "This isnt opinion or speculation , it's a simple fact". They play chess like any company.

Again my comment still stands "we" dont know what Sony has in store for us in the streaming front and if you think they will fall back on their laurels you'll be eating crow just like the arm chair know it alls that made previous predictions online such as "oh Sony doesnt have ps4 games on psnow bcus their infrastructure isnt capable (that was complete bs and just Sony waiting for the right moment), or "oh Sony doesnt allow downloads of games bcus psnow isnt capable (we know how tht turned out)". Again Sony will evolve and offer things when buisness wise it benefits them. Competition playing catch up bodes well for Sony because it pushes them to offer more but please dont act as if they cant or wont offer more robust streaming features as time goes on to match or better competition.

Your post is speculation. They may have indeed scaled it back because it was spread a bit thin...

But that would only solidify my earlier point, that they are going to have to spend considerably to increase their infrastructure in order to expand it.

Foxbat

Banned

I asked if Sony released those numbers. Did you miss that little part, or just ignore it?

While SuperData is a Nielsen company, their "data" has been inaccurate too many times to just take their word alone. I'd be more apt to take their number serious if they revealed their methodology. Some times they do... Other times they don't. In the case that you referenced. They didn't. They've been accused several times of pulling numbers from their ass for good reason.

That's not to say that I will straight up deny the numbers if they're true. PSNOW probably does make more seeing as it's got the large install base, and PSNow costs more than the competitors. It's just that Superdata alone stating these numbers doesn't make them true. That's why specifically asked if Sony released these details.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Your post is speculation. They may have indeed scaled it back because it was spread a bit thin...

But that would only solidify my earlier point, that they are going to have to spend considerably to increase their infrastructure in order to expand it.

Yeah adding game downloads, adding hundreds of games to the library and adding ps4 games is total speculation and isnt evolving the service. I see the narrative now.

What's speculation is your insinuation that Microsoft will bring something better to the table and Sony has already showed their hands and have nothing better to offer and will just remain as they are.

Anyway Merry Christmas all.

Last edited:
It's so cute to see this thread doesn't sit well with certain shill fanatics..dat post count, dat extreme effort protecting plastic rain or shine...@#$% clown show..but dont get me wrong, hella entertaining especially sinve elite Sony warrior noticed this thread and has sleepless nights over it.

Engadget said:
Microsoft is finally in control of the video game conversation once again

And I am totally looking forward to Halo 6 Coop, Sea of Thieves 2, Master Chief Collection 4K, Scalebound 2, Ryse 2, Halo Wars 3, Quantum Break 2, Dead Rising 5, Crackdown 3 ... The future is looking bright for XBox fans!

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's so cute to see this thread doesn't sit well with certain shill fanatics..dat post count, dat extreme effort protecting plastic rain or shine...@#$% clown show..but dont get me wrong, hella entertaining especially sinve elite Sony warrior noticed this thread and has sleepless nights over it.

Yep, these kind of threads generally start with the best of intentions (not to gloat over other people and throw shit at them, nooo ;)) and get derailed by fanboys right...

Poster A/OP: “Xbox is da bomb look at article saying it will dominate, PS sucks!!!! Sony sooooooooooooooo behind XCloud!!! Azure!!! GamePass!!! Xbox beast!!! Sony no chance!!!!!”

Poster B: <addresses content of poster A essay>

Poster A: “lol shill lol protecting your piece of plastic... just banter mate, banter... lol”

Last edited:
People are saying streaming is inevitably the future and will dominate next generation, right? I know it’s a combination of features mentioned, but I hear streaming a lot. Did people embrace game streaming this generation? I barely knew anyone who used it honestly. The reason I ask is, how can anyone formulate the opinion that streaming will dominate next generation when it seemingly was kind of a niche feature this generation? Unless technological improvements next generation will make it much more desirable or take it unparalleled heights?

To me it’s essentially like saying VR will be the huge contributing factor for Sony’s dominance next generation. Again, such a small percentage of the user base purchased VR. What’s going to make it HUGE for next generation with such a small adoption rate this generation?

HeresJohnny

People are saying streaming is inevitably the future and will dominate next generation, right? I know it’s a combination of features mentioned, but I hear streaming a lot. Did people embrace game streaming this generation? I barely knew anyone who used it honestly. The reason I ask is, how can anyone formulate the opinion that streaming will dominate next generation when it seemingly was kind of a niche feature this generation? Unless technological improvements next generation will make it much more desirable or take it unparalleled heights?

To me it’s essentially like saying VR will be the huge contributing factor for Sony’s dominance next generation. Again, such a small percentage of the user base purchased VR. What’s going to make it HUGE for next generation with such a small adoption rate this generation?

Sometimes, desperation makes people make outlandish predictions. Remember all the cloud bullshit from 2013? That same crowd is even more butthurt and desperate now. They want something to provide a reckoning for them coming off a generation that has been very painful. I always keep that in mind when I see devotees spouting off a bunch of wistful fantasies about “dominating” and whatnot. They’ve been embarrassed this generation and they want payback that never came, so they are trying to invent their own using whatever they can.

And I am totally looking forward to Halo 6 Coop, Sea of Thieves 2, Master Chief Collection 4K, Scalebound 2, Ryse 2, Halo Wars 3, Quantum Break 2, Dead Rising 5, Crackdown 3 ... The future is looking bright for XBox fans!
Quantum Break 2/ Control was already announced for PS4 @ E3.

SaucyJack

Totally non-ironic post of the day 😆

Totally non-ironic post of the day 😆

giphy.gif

Some people woke up on Christmas and said “We Gun’ Console War 2day!”

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
“You guys”? Sorry what excuses exactly?

I thought it was a pretty common assumption that Xbox wasn’t high on Microsoft’s totem pole until Satya took over and placed Phil in charge? Am I wrong?
You're not wrong. Just allow them to keep thinking this is still the restrained finance starved Xbox division it was before Satya and Phil. Probably a good idea to let them repeat dead mantras like, "Xbox has no games, Cloud who??, etc".

Next generation will be SUPER interesting. Frankly as it stands right now, Xbox pretty much has everything else in the bag with more exclusive first party titles on the way from brand new studios. And Azure/Xcloud (no matter how painful it may be for Sony fans to admit) is simply a much better cloud advantage to Geiki, with much deeper roots planted for game streaming, regardless if Xcloud is up and running now, or not.

We cant say for sure if the new acquisitions will create great Ip's from he gate, but the exclusive game situation that Microsoft has been plagued with for nearly this entire generation has never looked better. I definitely call that progress.

And Xcloud may not be up and running yet but it [will] be, in some capacity, next year in beta form, and full scale by time Scarlett arrives. The roots for Xcloud (in Azure servers) have however, been up and running for a while. It's literally a first party Cloud service built from the ground up by Microsoft. I dont care what anyone says; that puts them in a very unique position when it comes to this technology with an edge over the competition. Again, that will become much more prevalent gen9.

There are warriors on other side too if you didn't noticed....or you wont.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
I'm still curious what they're planning to do with Windows 10 and gaming. They teased Xbox 360 and Original Xbox BC years ago. Could they also get XBO games to run natively on PC? That would be something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom