• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

vall03

subscribed! something Ive been looking for since last year! downloaded Narcissu 1 & 2 last year but haven't played yet.

How about True Remembrance? does this one fit this category? Theres also this one visual novel I wanted to play on the iOS called The Flowershop: Summer in Fairbrook, dont know if it fits the bill though...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Pylon_Trooper said:
Good thread. If anyone here is keen to try their hand at making one, check out:

Ren'Py - open source Visual Novel creation engine, written in Python.

I'd love to see this particular style of "game/storytelling" to be taken up more in the West, because it's far more versatile than what a lot of folks might give it credit for. I'm hankering for a serious cottage industry to boom outside of Japan - chance of happening = next to nothing - because there's a great opportunity for a lot of different art styles to come alive within the framework of the visual novel.

Gotta be honest, the storytelling in some of the Japanese ones are okay, but for me the tired old anime/manga artistic tropes can get old fast.

Still, great thread. Kudos for putting it together!
Hmm, Imma take a look at that program. There's also another good program called Inform that's strictly for non-visual interactive fiction that I've been fiddling around with lately.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Never got into this genre (I've always had a bit of interest though, namely due to the art), but that's one fantastic OP. Still want a copy of 999 but none of the local GS stores seem to carry it :(

Good topic. I'm not into visual novels that much anymore (would rather read light novels), but at least there's a list of all the good VNs to reference later if I have time.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Is 999 going to be one of those games that are hard to find anywhere at some point? I hate to pay full price for a game because of my hardly ridiculously large backlog, but if it will be hard to find or it never goes on sale, I guess I should probably pick it up now.

Jintor

Trojita said:
Is 999 going to be one of those games that are hard to find anywhere at some point? I hate to pay full price for a game because of my hardly ridiculously large backlog, but if it will be hard to find or it never goes on sale, I guess I should probably pick it up now.

It's on its second print run (I don't know what you call it for games...), but I think you should probably pick it up now anyway, on the basis that it's awesome.

It's not even coming out in Australia! Fuckin' hell.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Jintor said:
It's on its second print run (I don't know what you call it for games...), but I think you should probably pick it up now anyway, on the basis that it's awesome.

It's not even coming out in Australia! Fuckin' hell.

Actually 3rd print just arrived ;)

4th print in the near future XD;

icecream

Public Health Threat
If you're making a compilation, you might want to put Phantom: Phantom of the Inferno on that list as well.

And it looks like pretty soon you'll be able to add Kara no Shoujo to that list too~

hamchan said:
Oh no, I'd say Ever17 is the watered down one heh.
Disagree. Ever17 shines over 999 because of the ideas that Nakazawa brought to the table in addition to what Uchikoshi did. There's only so much one can expect from each separately, but together is when the magic happens.

Jintor

Akselziys said:
Actually 3rd print just arrived ;)

4th print in the near future XD;

ARTBOOK ARTBOOK ARTBOOK

Ooops... so sorry, don't know what came over me there.

Do you know anything about the Europe/Australia situation?

Hyper Magazine Australia already scored it. They scored it goooood. No, the issue isn't out yet...

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
icecream said:
If you're making a compilation, you might want to put Phantom: Phantom of the Inferno on that list as well.

And it looks like pretty soon you'll be able to add Kara no Shoujo to that list too~

Disagree. Ever17 shines over 999 because of the ideas that Nakazawa brought to the table in addition to what Uchikoshi did. There's only so much one can expect from each separately, but together is when the magic happens.

In the case of 999, it was the tag team of Jiro Ishii as producer and Kotaro Uchikoshi as director :)
However, Ishii-san is now with Level-5 working on Time Travelers for 3DS XD

zoku88

InfiniteNine said:
Well I removed the Gyakuten Saiban/Ace Attorney series from the OP due to excessive complaints on it, but I'll be adding a lot more to the official and fan section tomorrow morning after I get back from my appointment so feel free to dig into anything that catches your fancy!
Since the thread was renamed to include ADV games as well, I don't see why Gyakuten Saiban can't be included. I was just pointing it out because I thought this thread was more focused on VNs

InfiniteNine said:
Well I removed the Gyakuten Saiban/Ace Attorney series from the OP due to excessive complaints on it, but I'll be adding a lot more to the official and fan section tomorrow morning after I get back from my appointment so feel free to dig into anything that catches your fancy!

If we're going to have ADVs in the title (something I fully support), there's no reason not to include Ace Attorney. It's certainly the ADV a newcomer to the genre is most likely to have played. Just make sure there's some more console titles to balance out the PC visual novels.

Jikagi

I've played Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni and Gyakuten Saiban, and I've liked Visual Novels/ ADVs so far, so I'm thinking of playing 999.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Jikagi said:
I've played Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni and Gyakuten Saiban, and I've liked Visual Novels/ ADVs so far, so I'm thinking of playing 999.

You totally should :D!
But I'm biased ;)

Acosta

Fantastic OP, thanks for the effort, I'll subscribe and will try to play one at least (I gess 999 would be the easier one to buy.)

RedSwirl

I honestly think you should also add Shadow of Destiny (Memories) to the list. Technically it's made of cut scenes instead of text and let's you directly control your character, but structurally the game basically is a visual novel.

Also, with Hideo Kojima's past with Policenauts and Snatcher, along with Team Silent's work on Shadow (most of them work under Kojima now), you'd think Konami would be the perfect company for more visual novels (maybe Love+ is the result of that).

As for the genre myself, I like my games to have some actual gameplay, or at least a sense of interaction, for them to be worth printing on game media instead of paper. At least 999 had puzzles in it. What about Time Hollow? If more good visual novels showed up on iOS like Higurashi I might give the genre a look. Hopefully Capcom puts the English versions of Ghost Trick and the rest of the Ace Attourney on iOS.

Jikagi said:

Definitely get 999. And if you liked Higurashi, be sure to play Umineko as well!

bloke

InfiniteNine said:
Fan Translated releases:
To Be Added:
Never7 -the end of infinity-
Maji de Watashi ni Koishinasai!
Clannad
Canvas 2 ~Akane Iro no Palette~
Flyable Heart
Wanko to Kurasou
Missing Cross†Channel, Swan Song, Symphonic Rain, Quarttet, Moon, ef...

danmaku said:
Interesting thread. I heard that Chaos Head is a total mindfuck, but I could just watch the anime. What makes the game "better"? (not a rhetorical question)

Saya no Uta looks promising, too.
I only saw first few episodes of CH anime, and thought it was very poorly done production wise comparing to VN, direction was somehow off aswell.
And original VN is by default better in sense of how's always much more immersive experience to play those VNs from the first person (as in things in VN are happening to you) compared to just watching it as an observer via anime.

edit; hm just for lols here's my top10 out of fan translated ones

1 Symphonic Rain
- don't be put off by kiddie designs, it's actually rather moody and emotional, almost shoujo-like... one of the first VNs i played/read, still the favourite
2 Remember11
- probably my favourite Infinity-related series VN (as in like it better than Ever17, 999, etc..), final ending is complete lolwtf trolling though
3 Kanon
4 Clannad
- Key's "crying game" classics, I'd rate Air even higher than those two but I don't think Air is fully translated
5 Saya No Uta
- Lovecraftian/Clive Barkerish take on VN, short but hard to forget
6 Chaos;Head
- well yes mindf**k, great twists and atmosphere, main "character" is highly irritating though
7 Planetarian
- very short so it feels more like visual novelette, but when it comes to emotional impact and overal melancholy as good as other Key's releases
8 Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo
- rather interesting dystopian premise/setup, and one of the coolest final twists I witnessed in VNs
9 Cross†Channel
- maybe Romeo Tanaka (one of the most popular/known VN writers) was trying too hard here to impress, still the main character is one-of-the-kind hyper insane
10 Quartett!
- great art and overall presentation

honourable mentions; Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime, Swan Song, ef, One...

still need to finish G Senjou no Maou and few others...

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Many people mentioned those already, but I going to listed them again because they are awesome.

Saya no Uto 18+ - English Patch - One of the most memorable and the most "different" VN out there. The story is pretty short, and there are not many path to choose from, and there are only one heroines. It is very hard to recommend this VN without spoiling it, but just go read it, you will not regret it. DO NOT google for story summary or CGs, it will spoiled many of the surprise for you.

Fate/Stay Night and Tsukihime - English Patch - 18+ and All Age - One of the most popular VN, eventually got a horrible anime adoption. Each game has 6+ path, each path story will stand for itself, but the story element will only be fully explain to you if you finish every path. The sex are pushed, and they are all optional to the story, your not losing anything by playing the "all age" version. (I think 18+ version has option to turn it off, not sure).

kikokugai the cyber slayer - English Patch - 18+ -
Set in the future. There are two types of Kung Fu masters, those who mastered their internal Chii, and those who mastered their physical skills. The Chii masters are able to output a stronger energy coming from their life itself, but it took a long time to master it. It was easier to just train their physical skills, but there was a limit to how strong a human body can be. So there were a balance of many average physical skill masters and few strong Chii masters. However that balance broke when cybernetics came into play. Kung Fu masters would replace their body with robotic parts and attain a strength that a normal human can never achieve. That's how no one tried to become Chii masters anymore when they can easily become powerful by using cybernetics, and Chii masters decreased in numbers.

The main character of the story Kong Taoluo used to be a loyal assassin of the mafia group, but one day his sister was raped by his friend Liu Haojun and his companions, then they had her undergo an operation. Taoluo was also rumored to be killed, but he returned to city of Shanghai to avenge his sister.

I really like this game story, for its concept of soul in a world where even human brain can be copy into computer memory.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well I'm updating the OP at random intervals and in no specific order so I'll post a notification when new entries have been added.

The OP has been updated with the following games:

Official:
ijlLzs.png

il3tqw.png

Fan-Translated:
il3v2O.png

ijlRN4.png

(You might recognize the characters in this from the flash game NANACA+CRASH!!)
ilyOfI.png

Playing (reading?) through Saya no Uta for about two hours now. I can bear all of the explicit gore and the unsettling descriptions, but the H scenes are just creepy as fuck :/ It's too bad too, cause the story is very interesting. I'll continue through to the end because of the "reveal", but maybe I should have started Chaos; Head instead due to the creepy pedo factor in Saya.

There are a few VNs from English makers as well. Hope these are okay to add to the thread as well.

http://katawa-shoujo.com/
You play as a guy who gets transferred to a school for people with disabilities. You can date blind girls, deaf girls, burn victims, and amputees. They all need lovin'.
This one's been in the works for a while now and last I checked there was a demo out that was basically all of the first chapter of the game, but I'm not sure how much further they've come since then.

http://supersixthree.blogspot.com/
"Lucky Rabbit Reflex! is an otome (Girl x Boy) dating sim currently in development, created using the Ren'Py Visual Novel Engine."
Not finished/released yet, supposed to play like a Tokimeki Memorial game. I think there's a demo for it.

http://www.sakevisual.com/
These guys have a few. I played a bit of RE:Alistair and it was okay, another TM-like game where you go to school, boost stats, and change your outfit to get different endings with the guys.

I'd love to make one someday, but it's a lot of work to make even a very short one.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Playing (reading?) through Saya no Uta for about two hours now. I can bear all of the explicit gore and the unsettling descriptions, but the H scenes are just creepy as fuck :/ It's too bad too, cause the story is very interesting. I'll continue through to the end because of the "reveal", but maybe I should have started Chaos; Head instead due to the creepy pedo factor in Saya.
I know she's two years old man, but she's very smart for her age!

AtomskEater said:
There are a few VNs from English makers as well. Hope these are okay to add to the thread as well.

Well I'm still unsure if I should add OELVNs to the list since this is thread about translated titles, but I'll think on it a bit more. I've been working on one for over a year with some people and I'm not sure I'd even put my own title in there either.

Get to the first choice in the game yet?

InfiniteNine said:
I know she's two years old man, but she's very smart for her age!

No doubt :l I understand why the scenes are there, but they should have either made Saya look more mature, or kept to descriptions without the actual depictions. But hey, there's a market for this kinda shit in Japan *shudder*, it's just not my bag.

I picked the
"want it all back" choice
for the first ending and am going through the other choice right now. The former choice was pretty sad and bittersweet. If anything, I completely misjudged Saya's character.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well it personally didn't bother me but I collect loli manga and doujin so that throws it out of the realm of disturbing for me. There isn't much arousing about the h-scenes but they serve to get across about how broken Fuminori's state of mind is.

InfiniteNine said:
Well it personally didn't bother me but I collect loli manga and doujin so that throws it out of the realm of disturbing for me. There isn't much arousing about the h-scenes but they serve to get across about how broken Fuminori's state of mind is.

Actually, when you couple how Fuminori and his neighbor (Suzumi?) react to Saya, that explanation makes a lot of sense.

Currently hopping in a car with Kouji. This ending seems a lot more interesting so far.

Actually, when you couple how Fuminori and his neighbor (Suzumi?) react to Saya, that explanation makes a lot of sense.

Currently hopping in a car with Kouji. This ending seems a lot more interesting so far.

You still got a long way to go (as in like an hour or so). What you chose before was basically a glorified game over.

cosmicblizzard said:
You still got a long way to go (as in like an hour or so). What you chose before was basically a glorified game over.

No kidding? Man, I still have to get around to finishing 999 :/ I wanted to do one last playthrough for True without skipping any text so it'd all be fresh again. That endeavor will likely take at least 4 or 5 hours :/

BTW, Cosmic, have you played Chaos;Head?

Really, really awesome design for this offcial thread Infinite.

Mmm, some of this games seem interesting and others stupid fun. I laugh at my girlfriend is the president story :lol

BTW, Cosmic, have you played Chaos;Head?

I watched the anime, but I hear it's terrible by comparison. Didn't seem so bad to me though. Lots of mindfucks.

I'm pretty new to the genre. Really only played 999, Saya no Uta and part of Kikokugai. Playing through Ever17 now and gonna check out Sekien no Inganock when I'm done.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Dresden said:
You should play Sharin no Kuni.
I second this, G-Senjou no Maou too! It's not as great but it's still a very interesting read. It's made by the same company as Sharin no Kuni as well.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Really, really awesome design for this official thread Infinite.

Mmm, some of this games seem interesting and others stupid fun. I laugh at my girlfriend is the president story :lol
Yeah, it's all about reading one you find interesting here since there a wide array of stories.

Yeah, OsaDai is pretty much a parity with tons of nerd references so it's not a serious work. It even has the Star Ship Enterprise control center as a design for the space ship's cockpit.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
cosmicblizzard said:

I wasn't going to spoil anything for him

It's the only good ending

Trojita said:
I wasn't going to spoil anything for him

It's the only good ending

Yep.
Though you can probably say the one where Saya gets shot is the best one for humanity even if more characters died.

Phatcorns

Couple of things. One, 999 is one of the funnest games I have ever played in my life. I guess it's not really a game, but good lord what a creative story with great characters, atmosphere, and writing. I was utterly hooked on this for a week. My ds was on constantly, just kept sleeping it and every spare moment I had I went back to it.

Two, I didn't realize that this game genre really existed. I always thought it was just H-games and I really don't have any interest in those.

Three, I actually started playing Snatcher a long time ago on a sega cd emulator on my psp but got stuck at some point and gave it up. It's amazing how perfectly suited the DS is for these types of games because it was cumbersome playing it without a pointer and I actually played the Wii version of Phoenix Wright and even though I really liked it now that I think about it, it could have been so much better on DS.

Fourth, I did not realize Policenauts' English patch finally got released. I bought it on the Japanese PSN a long time ago thinking my Japanese might be good enough still to play through it. I was quite wrong so I'm getting this patch asap and it'll probably be the next game I go through.

Katawa Shoujo needs to hurry the fuck up. Not interested in romance VNs, but I am interested in a genre-savvy's staff take on it plus having a roomate as a woman-hating Harry Potter look-a-like please me.

hamchan

Extollere said:
Ya, good job... seriously.

I've never been into ADV personally, but I started 999, and may want to play Saya No Uta.

Yeah I'll be starting Saya No Uta today after reading good things in the anime thread and this thread. I'm prepared for something super disturbing and adult.

Jintor

br0ken_shad0w said:
Katawa Shoujo needs to hurry the fuck up. Not interested in romance VNs, but I am interested in a genre-savvy's staff take on it plus having a roomate as a woman-hating Harry Potter look-a-like please me.

A++ would agree again

Niblet

So here is a question I have for you fellow Visual novel players -- particularly those that play eroge: How do you feel about eroges as masturbation material?

My answer: It isn't my thing. It had a novelty factor when I played my first eroge, but now if I'm playing a vn with sex scenes, I look at them the same way I do any other scene. I also notice that if a sex scene feels forced it totally puts me off. Nothing more cringe worthy than a poorly set up sex scene and/or a poorly executed one.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Yeah I'm pretty much the same. I try to avoid sex romp titles and get to the ones with an interesting story to follow, but if it has sex I won't avoid it simply because it's there.

Drakken

Kudos for starting this thread, OP. After loving 999, I'm interested in playing some more games in this genre. Definitely not looking for eroge or dating sim type games, though. Anything similar to 999 out there?

hamchan said:
Yeah I'll be starting Saya No Uta today after reading good things in the anime thread and this thread. I'm prepared for something super disturbing and adult.

Oh... you'll get plenty of both... believe me. 999 doesn't have ANYTHING on Saya in the disturbing department.

Drakken said:
Kudos for starting this thread, OP. After loving 999, I'm interested in playing some more games in this genre. Definitely not looking for eroge or dating sim type games, though. Anything similar to 999 out there?

Ever17 is from the same creator.

br0ken_shad0w said:

I gotta admit, the concept is pretty novel. And I'm glad that the descriptions don't make the characters out to be self loathing or pitiable.

hamchan

Niblet said:
So here is a question I have for you fellow Visual novel players -- particularly those that play eroge: How do you feel about eroges as masturbation material?

My answer: It isn't my thing. It had a novelty factor when I played my first eroge, but now if I'm playing a vn with sex scenes, I look at them the same way I do any other scene. I also notice that if a sex scene feels forced it totally puts me off. Nothing more cringe worthy than a poorly set up sex scene and/or a poorly executed one.

I think it sucks big time when I'm enjoying a good story and there's a random sex scene in it. Like Fate/Stay Night for example. There's gonna be a big battle, all the characters are worried and feeling the pressure; then out of nowhere they all have sex with each for some contrived reason! What the fuck!

I understand why they put these scenes in as they have to pander to their creepy audience but I sure wish they didn't have to. Key and Typemoon titles I find have great stories but they always put these sex scenes in and it's really fucking awkward. I appreciate sex scenes if they actually contribute to the story in some meaningful way but more often than not they don't. If I want to wank to some 2d images I'd go play an actual H-game like Discipline that doesn't really care about its story at all.

Dresden

Niblet said:

*see the start of sex scene*

*hold down CTRL*

*start reading again after it's over*

They're basically like two, three pictures with voice-over tossed in. Add in my general antipathy for the kind of stuff that seems to drive Japanese readers wild, and I just wish they weren't there.

---

That said, that one sex scene early on in Tsukihime is hilarious, if you choose Akiha. Worth it for the laughs alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom