• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Dividead? This list is incomplete!

This thread also reminds me that I need to check out Renpy.

Oh yeah there's also Kana: Little Sister if you want something that is more on the emotional side.

tiff

Banned
Niblet said:
So here is a question I have for you fellow Visual novel players -- particularly those that play eroge: How do you feel about eroges as masturbation material?

My answer: It isn't my thing. It had a novelty factor when I played my first eroge, but now if I'm playing a vn with sex scenes, I look at them the same way I do any other scene. I also notice that if a sex scene feels forced it totally puts me off. Nothing more cringe worthy than a poorly set up sex scene and/or a poorly executed one.
I always figured that's why they're there.

That's what drew me to the genre, anyway.

thetechkid

So I played through Time Hollow and enjoyed that, and been on/off playing Hotel Dusk. I plan on playing 999 soon, but was wondering what else might be good.(preferably something action/mystery/detective oriented)

Jintor

I now find myself seriously contemplating what kinds of stories would it be possible to tell in a VN that would be impossible in any other medium... pity 999 already saw one option and wrapped it up. :p

cress2000

Jintor said:
I now find myself seriously contemplating what kinds of stories would it be possible to tell in a VN that would be impossible in any other medium... pity 999 already saw one option and wrapped it up. :p

Besides a book, Sharin no Kuni has a crazy twist that wouldn't really work any other way. At least if such a thing were to remain a surprise.

thetechkid said:
So I played through Time Hollow and enjoyed that, and been on/off playing Hotel Dusk. I plan on playing 999 soon, but was wondering what else might be good.(preferably something action/mystery/detective oriented)

Ever 17 or the Hotel Dusk sequel.

Just finished Saya no Uta. The game became exponentially more interesting to me in the second half after you're allowed to make the first choice.
I chose the Ryouko path
It was one crazy, and incredibly warped ride.

Also, a word to infinite_nine - It's a really old game, but you should add Famicom Detective Club - The Girl in the Rear to your list.

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Just finished Saya no Uta. The game became exponentially more interesting to me in the second half after you're allowed to make the first choice.
I chose the Ryouko path
It was one crazy, and incredibly warped ride.

I think it's worth it to see where the other path leads. Trust me on this one.

cosmicblizzard said:
I think it's worth it to see where the other path leads. Trust me on this one.
Hmm, will do. You know, it's crazy. Im the type of person to hardly ever replay a game, and the last few games I've played: 999, Nier and now Saya, I've been doing nothing but lol

Dresden

Hmm, will do. You know, it's crazy. Im the type of person to hardly ever replay a game, and the last few games I've played: 999, Nier and now Saya, I've been doing nothing but lol
That's what VNs are all about.

I still need to play 999, though. Bought it on release day, pretty much, just haven't had the time for it. And now I got sucked into the Flashman novels, and there's Tactics Ogre sitting untouched...

Dresden said:
That's what VNs are all about.

I still need to play 999, though. Bought it on release day, pretty much, just haven't had the time for it. And now I got sucked into the Flashman novels, and there's Tactics Ogre sitting untouched...
Nier wasn't a VN though, heh. And tell me about it. My backlog is horrendous. I'm gonna have to toss MvC3 on there despite just buying the damned thing cause I gotta leave town for work. By the time I come back, the damned game will probably only be worth 20 or 30 bucks :/

999 was still the more engaging game to me by miles though. It was the first game Id ever played where I was actively trying to suss out a suspect or formulate a theory as I was playing.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Saya no uta was pretty damn awesome from what i read of it last night. The first sex scene was completely awkward though, especially since my brothers were in the room at the time.:lol

Lafiel said:
Saya no uta was pretty damn awesome from what i read of it last night. The first sex scene was completely awkward though, especially since my brothers were in the room at the time.:lol
It's got a very well written story, but yeah, prepare for a ton more awkwardness and discomfort as there's a fair amount of sex. I wouldnt mind it if not for Saya's loli design because the sex is there to remind you how incredibly twisted and inhuman the characters are. But hey, I suppose that only serves to further emphasize that point.

It's not much actually. It's mostly the same dialogue until the end, but the conclusion is COMPLETELY different.

Lafiel said:

Probably shouldn't be playing this around people :lol

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Probably shouldn't be playing this around people :lol
Well i just experienced my first taste of
monster rape
. This game is just to disturbing.:lol

hamchan said:
OMG reached my first decision in Saya no Uta. This seems like a very hard choice to make.
Just save and pick "want it all back", it's a very short ending, and then go back and pick the other choice for a much longer and more in-depth ending.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just save and pick "want it all back", it's a very short ending, and then go back and pick the other choice for a much longer and more in-depth ending.
Interesting i might re-load my save and go back and pick that choice. Since i picked the other one.:p

Lafiel said:
Interesting i might re-load my save and go back and pick that choice. Since i picked the other one.:p
I honestly would. That ending
want it all back
would seem very underwhelming after seeing the other one. But that's just me. I take it that you're at
the part where Yoh ventures into Fuminori's house
?

hamchan

Alright awesome.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I honestly would. That ending
want it all back
would seem very underwhelming after seeing the other one. But that's just me. I take it that you're at
the part where Yoh ventures into Fuminori's house
?
Yep. Just got the ending, that was quick.:lol looking forward to checking out the other ending. Especially since i just looked at the CG library, and it seems there are a lot of scenes i have yet to see.:lol

Lafiel said:
Yep. Just got the ending, that was quick.:lol looking forward to checking out the other ending. Especially since i just looked at the CG library, and it seems there are a lot of scenes i have yet to see.:lol
The other path is pretty long (about an hour and a half) and much more satisfying in that it clues you in on all the questions you might be pondering. The two endings I got were both satisfying, and completely different in tone.

hamchan

Finished Saya no Uta. I recommend it to anyone that enjoys an extremely disturbing story, perhaps the most disturbing thing you've ever read!

I think I'll go read some happy shoujo manga now.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Yeah i finished it just then. Went with the Fuminori route. (going check out the other one tomorrow).

And wow what a experience, a damn good horror tale that actually terrified the hell out of me.
especially those damn rape scenes!
. I hope I don't get nightmares when i go to bed tonight, due to playing this.:lol

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Going to add some more games in a bit!

The following projects have made progress recently:

Fan Translations:
Hoshizora no Memoria - prologue patch out, 9733/55183 lines translated (17.64%)
Imouto Ijime - TL 98%
Koitate - Yukino’s route patch released
Little Busters - ~70%, new patch released with Mio's route translated, Haruka route 47% translated, ~8% translated
Love Plus- 549/900 scripts translated (61.00%), 2nd partial patch out
Majikoi- Yukie route patch released, Chris route translation is at 37%
Never 7 - 60 of 111 scripts translated
Rance 2 - Hacking problems fixed, 50% translated
Sharin no Kuni, Yuukyuu no Shounenshoujo -translator working on non translated scripts, all of Natsumi's and Ririko''s scripts translated, 17 of 18 Sachi's scripts translated
Sorairo - 2755/48557 (6%) lines translated
The Second Reproduction - 41% translated

Official Work:

MangaGamer:
Dear Drops - Translation starting, with a release goal of this Summer

JastUSA:
Osananajimi wa Daitouryou ~My girlfriend is the President.~ - 2011 release planned, translation completed

Jintor

999 was still the more engaging game to me by miles though. It was the first game Id ever played where I was actively trying to suss out a suspect or formulate a theory as I was playing.

One of the most tense games I've ever played, and I didn't even really have a fear of dying etc like you normally would need to provoke a fear reaction... it was just like "OH SHIT WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT"

Risette

A Good Citizen
Finished reading & got all the endings to Saya no Uta. Pretty good stuff.

It was my first visual novel. Any reccomendations for what I should go in to next? No Umineko/Higurashi/anything by Key.

The_Technomancer said:
Hmm, Saya no Uta sounds like an episode of House. Does anyone at any point diagnose him with Lupus?

Sure, if House were (literally) set in the very bowels of hell and involved monsters, graphic rape, cannabalism and one man's slow and steady descent into utter depravity then yes. It is just like House.

Aigis said:

It was my first visual novel. Any reccomendations for what I should go in to next? No Umineko/Higurashi/anything by Key.

You could try moving on to Chaos;Head. It's from the same developer as Saya.

Lafiel said:
Yeah i finished it just then. Went with the Fuminori route. (going check out the other one tomorrow).

And wow what a experience, a damn good horror tale that actually terrified the hell out of me.
especially those damn rape scenes!
. I hope I don't get nightmares when i go to bed tonight, due to playing this.:lol

Just don't fall asleep listening to the ost.

hamchan

Aigis said:

I think 999 and Ace Attorney are must plays so go play those!

I suppose Fate/Stay Night as well but take note it's pretty damn long. My playtime is 25 hours already and I'm no where near done >_>

Dresden

Aigis said:

Tsukihime.

hamchan

Or you could try Ever17. I've seen a few people playing it so I'm going to play it soon. It's better when everyone's playing at the same time.

Risette

A Good Citizen
hamchan said:
Or you could try Ever17. I've seen a few people playing it so I'm going to play it soon. It's better when everyone's playing at the same time.
We were all playing Saya no Uta together last night!

hamchan

Aigis said:
We were all playing Saya no Uta together last night!

Yep and it was awesome sharing our disturbing experiences!

Looks like Laf and I are moving on to Chaos;Head.

InfiniteNine said:
Do it and become a man! I mean look at my avatar! Isn't Saya cute?

Kill her with fire!

Yeah, I'm probably moving on to Chaos;Head as well.

Jintor - If hentai doesnt bother you, then by all means go for it. I, for one, am a sucker for creepy stuff so I soldiered on, but I just want you to know what you're in for if you decide to take the plunge. The game has some very uncomfortable loli scenes (to me) and some of the rape is horrific, as well as the vivid descriptions of the violence/gore. Overall, it's a very creepy and very disturbing game and that mood is sustained throughout its length, so it's definitely not for everyone.

However, the premise is really well written and conceived, and the story is incredibly twisted to the point where you may find yourself questioning what sort of person could come up with it. It isn't Marquis de Sade levels of insane, but it's definitely deranged, so if that sounds like your kind of bag then it's definitely worth sitting through.

Jintor

I am definitely in for Ever17 though, shoutout when we start doing group playthroughs of that.

Man, it's like a book club for visual novels in here

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just got all the endings in Saya No Uta. Damn it seems
there is no happy ending in this, unless living life as a slime is considered happy!

Probably going to start Chaos;head next. As it seems like the next logical step-up from this. Although having a 15+ rating, i doubt it will reach the levels of "fucked-up" saya no uta went to.:lol

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
For those starting Chaos;HEAd the dots at the top are your delusions which are pretty much your choices for almost all of the game. Choose your delusions wisely or chose not to have them. Whatever works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom