• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enterprise: More on the "Klingon ridges" two-parter (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/article/8695.html

The Klingon forehead issue is a complicated one, because it has to take into account a number of factors if one is to stay true to the Star Trek universe as previously established (related feature). The simplest theories (e.g. "southern" vs. "northern" breeds) have to be thrown out because Star Trek: Deep Space Nine reprised three Klingon characters from the Original Series — Kor, Koloth and Kang — and gave them forehead ridges in "Blood Oath." Then there was "Trials and Tribble-ations," where the crew went back in time to Station K-7, looked around and said, "Those are Klingons??" They turned to bumpy-headed Worf for an explanation, and he would only say it's a long story and "We do not discuss it with outsiders."

Well, rest assured the writers have taken all that into account and have come up with a scenario consistent with all those elements. We won't give it away here, of course, but we will say that it ties very neatly into other aspects of Trek history.

Will we actually see the Kirk-era Klingon visage in this episode? Why yes! In fact, we'll see four of them (referred to in the production notes either as "Klingons, Type Two" or "Semi-Klingons"), the principal one named "Marab." And yes, they have that swarthy complexion and that Fu Manchu facial hair. They do, however, have a very slight remnant of the forehead ridge. Their outfits are leathery brown like we've seen on Klingons before, but a lot less bulky.

The second and final part of this Klingon arc is currently in production, but the company goes on hiatus after this Friday, the 17th, for two weeks. They will resume January 3, with three days left on "Divergence." After that, there will only be six more episodes to shoot in the season, finishing up principal photography in March.

if I remember correctly, interviews that were held before the release of the last Star Trek film said that they hired that particular writer because he knew more about the Star Trek universe than anyone else.

IOW, cough*bullshit*cough* I'll believe it when I see it.

ManaByte

bune duggy said:
if I remember correctly, interviews that were held before the release of the last Star Trek film said that they hired that particular writer because he knew more about the Star Trek universe than anyone else.

IOW, cough*bullshit*cough* I'll believe it when I see it.

Uh, the person writing Part 1 of the two-parter had nothing to do with Nemesis. Part 2 is by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens who are probably two of the best Trek writers ever.

ManaByte said:
Uh, the person writing Part 1 of the two-parter had nothing to do with Nemesis. Part 2 is by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens who are probably two of the best Trek writers ever.

I didn't say they did. I should clarify my pronouns more often I guess. :) I'm saying that it's just weird that the same line of reasoning that was offered for the Nemesis movie, "Writer X loves Star Trek and will treat the material well," is the same being offered here.

I will defer to your knowledge of the writers though. Personally Nemesis left a bad taste after reading what could have been and then seeing what was. :(

ManaByte

bune duggy said:
I didn't say they did. I should clarify my pronouns more often I guess. :) I'm saying that it's just weird that they are using the same line of reasoning that was offered for the Nemesis movie, "Writer X loves Star Trek and will treat the material well," is the same being offered here.

I will defer to your knowledge of the writers though. Personally Nemesis left a bad taste after reading what could have been and then seeing what was. :(

Nemesis was made by people who never did anything Trek related before.

Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens have been doing Trek stuff since before there were Star Trek movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom