• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Game Store Face Lift

MMaRsu

Banned
Can i buy most of games from Steam on GOG ? No. So this kind of never worked to begin with. This is true for most of the stores on PC.

So few games going to them instead Steam is somehow big news.

That is up to the publishers, most of them dont want to release drm free versions because they think that pc users are all pirates (EPIC,UBISOFT,EA,WB)

MMaRsu

Banned
It's about paying off devs to make games exclusive to one storefront that we take issue with, did I miss the news about them no longer doing that while they were ripping off Steams design?
Why are EGS apologists so unable to grasp the basic issue no matter how many times it's repeated?

Because they are either

a. morons
b. shills
c. Fortnite fanboys

Small step but it's better than nothing. They still have a long way to go before I'll even consider them as a first stop place to buy ANYTHING. The only reason I've used it is for the few exclusive games that I can't get anywhere else. I don't mind them existing, but they need to compete. Right now they don't compete, they money hat. I hope they continue to improve because as it stands, EGS sucks ass.

Last edited:

ROMhack

Cop out response. Also avoids actual intellectual discourse for the subject.

Sorry, I find EGS is a difficult subject to broach. I said in my other posts that I don't have an issue with them and see some upsides to what they're doing (e.g. developer funding).

Sure user reviews and forums is a negative. Not denying that.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
It is also up to publishers to release only on stores of their choosing.
See, same thing.

Noone has an issue with publishers releasing games on their own stores, but you havent been paying any attention through all these various EGS topics have you.

I don't game on PC anymore, but for all the people saying Steam is better.... well it's been around for about 15 years.

Can any long time Steam user tell the forum what it was like in 2004?

So your let's call it "argument" is that we should accept 2004 quality store from company which has billions on hand just because they were too cheap to hire few more programmers ? And that's before we ignore that Steam was pioneer in the market while Epic had 15 years to observe what works on Steam, Origin, Uplay, GOG, Microsoft failed store and many smaler ones ?

Oh and in case you don't know they had feature roadmap which mysteriously disappeared becouse EGS could even met it's own goals on what they want to add to the functionality.

Also Epic is running assets store for UE3/4 developers so it's not like they are bunch of dudes who decided to program store in 3 days.

Dontero

Banned
Noone has an issue with publishers releasing games on their own stores, but you havent been paying any attention through all these various EGS topics have you.

You said it is in publisher hands where to release their games. Like ignoring GOG or other stores and only releasing on Steam. And yet you argue that if publisher chooses not to release on Steam it is somehow different.

MMaRsu

Banned
You said it is in publisher hands where to release their games. Like ignoring GOG or other stores and only releasing on Steam. And yet you argue that if publisher chooses not to release on Steam it is somehow different.

There is a monetary deal to make sure its not sold on steam. The publishers are paid to keep the game off other stores.

The only reason pubs choose not to publish on gog is because they are cunts who believe pc gamers are all pirates

A.Romero

I'm glad they are adding features but it doesn't make sense. If they wanted to really enter the market I bet they could have all the features they wanted by investing on their own platform instead of money hatting games.

They have the money, they have the capabilities and all. However, from all the possible approaches they could do they are following one of the worst: bad mouth your competition and inject money to mess with the market by buying exclusives.

What if you sold games at a loss and give us really low prices, Sweeney?

Competition is healthy but it doesn't mean that the way they are trying to enter the market doesn't deserve criticism.

I'll wait until the games I want are available on Steam and will consider EGS as an option once they have enough features and offer regionalized pricing like Steam. In the meantime I don't want to have anything to do with them other than bitching in GAF :)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Since people discussed user reviews, Epic shills need to get up to speed, Sweeney has already backpedaled and said they're working on a user review system. It will be opt-in supposedly because of review bombing, as if developers/publishers can know if the game will be review bombed prior, or if a review bombing is later done they can't employ a system like Steam's where abnormal behavior is hidden by default without affecting the score and can be looked into manually by the users should they care about that (or just not show them because fuck giving power to the user, only paid influencers and PR are allowed to spoon feed us). Of course it's anyone's guess when they'll get around to implementing it or if he'll make another 180 turn into deciding it's still the shitty feature he never wanted to have because EGS isn't like evil Steam or whatever.

As a rule of thumb, pretty much anything every devout EGS fanboy has accepted as the one truth and preached all over the internet has since been turned on its heels so if in doubt just don't preach anything that's come out of Tim's mouth/fingers.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Add with it, extra drm and hardware usage specially memory behind every game. Terrible idea.

Sadly people have no memory of pre-steam. And come to conclusions based on what steam fanboys tells them. Steam was dog shit and hated.

I remember PC gaming very well before Steam. I remember gaming back on DOS, back when you had to fix weird memory issues. It was annoying but fun.

Anyway, for me, I didn't think that Steam was an worse or different than entering a CD key in the old days. Lose that CD key and you're screwed. Yeah, if you lost the CD key you'd have to resort to exe cracks. No different to now. Except these days, you won't lose a CD key and the chance of having no internet are very slim.

Fuz

Banned
User reviews aren't used for anything except bitching about a publisher's behavior. They mostly have nothing to do with the actual game anymore.
Bullshit. User reviews are the only reviews you can trust, IF you have a sliver of a brain left and can take them with a grain of salt.
Critics reviews are always bought and critics are mostly shills.

Last edited:

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Wasn't sure where to post this..Anyone else notice that Jedi Fallen Order is in their library (your Epic Store games list) having purchased it from Steam? I bought/playing the game on Steam and somehow Epic Store shows it as playable in my list. When i click on it, Origin then launches. I never purchased Jedi Fallen Order through Epic Store, smh

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Wasn't sure where to post this..Anyone else notice that Jedi Fallen Order is in their library (your Epic Store games list) having purchased it from Steam? I bought/playing the game on Steam and somehow Epic Store shows it as playable in my list. When i click on it, Origin then launches. I never purchased Jedi Fallen Order through Epic Store, smh
Lol! Guess it hooks to origin the same way so it thinks you bought it there. Doesn't do it for me though.

Last edited:
User reviews aren't used for anything except bitching about a publisher's behavior. They mostly have nothing to do with the actual game anymore.

Stop reading shitty user reviews. They make us who actually bother making reviews for games look bad. I'm not saying mine are great but at least I dont post troll shit, at least not anymore. https://steamcommunity.com/id/stealthycockatrice/recommended/

If you know where to look you can find amazing reviews from users even on metacritic.

flacopol

Posts like this prove that the argument that EGS is bad because it 'lacks features' is false and in reality Steam fans just feel threatened by another big launcher.

I hope EGS gets even better features than steam, so steam start to do somthing about that.... but they initial business model of buy exclusivity instead of use that money to start with a good store... that´s mark which EGS values are , IMHO

jaysius

Banned

Another thing about user reviews: "RECEIVED THIS GAME FOR FREE" ends up being a SUPER GLOWING review, so it's worse than Amazon's fake reviews, because even though these are a type of paid review, their opinion still goes towards the final steam review score.

I find Steam user reviews useless, unless it's mixed, and if it's not OVERWHELMINGLY POSITIVE than there's usually something wrong with the game, or the dev just didn't give out enough keys to bump the Yes votes.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Yup. Got the same thing. EGS shows the same play time as Steam as well. Launched it via EGS to see what would happen and it wanted me to link my EGS account to Origin. Decided not to try my luck as already bought from Steam.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Yup. Got the same thing. EGS shows the same play time as Steam as well. Launched it via EGS to see what would happen and it wanted me to link my EGS account to Origin. Decided not to try my luck as already bought from Steam.

I'm not sure how to contact Valve on this or if it is an Origin issue, or what. It doesn't seem to be a problem however, by this happening, it shows a potential security problem i believe. Epic Game Store should not have access to nor launch my (or anyone's) Steam account or Origin account without authorization. Edit: I just checked and Jedi Fallen Order is still in my Epic Games List

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Another thing about user reviews: "RECEIVED THIS GAME FOR FREE" ends up being a SUPER GLOWING review, so it's worse than Amazon's fake reviews, because even though these are a type of paid review, their opinion still goes towards the final steam review score.

I find Steam user reviews useless, unless it's mixed, and if it's not OVERWHELMINGLY POSITIVE than there's usually something wrong with the game, or the dev just didn't give out enough keys to bump the Yes votes.

Entire game industry is riddled with this shit.

They all paid shills. The best part is they don't even realize it because they are to dumb to recognize bribes even if its straight in front of them.

Top Bottom