• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic is going to remove the boob physics from Fortnite.

petran79

Banned
Epic, one of my favorite computer game companies ending up like this...

jazz_19.png

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Okay, here's an apparently unpopular opinion. Like it or not, jiggling breasts sexualize women, despite it being a perfectly normal and natural thing. This game made it through five seasons of non-jiggling breasts, and some animator(s) decided to do something about that, which was likely ignored or overlooked by the team. The female characters were not sexualized like this before, and Epic is going for the widest audience possible, so they do not need to rock the boat in any way. This wasn't a change that was needed or should have been made. Parents don't need to hear about their 10 year old playing a game that's adding breast physics.

At the same time, that PR response was shit. Perhaps it's unintentional, but it's poorly written in a "you're wrong, they're right" way, which criticizes anyone who disagrees with changing it back, and criticizes developers who do do choose to put natural breast animation in their games. I'm getting really tired of game developer PR acting like they don't even need to pretend people who disagree with their decisions shouldn't be insulted. While I believe fortnight is pretty much unstoppable right now (and the game is so casual 99 percent of their audience probably won't even hear about this) you can see how that sort of thing worked out with Battlefield.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Parents don't need to hear about their 10 year old playing a game that's adding breast physics.
Parents don't need to hear about their 10 year old playing a shoot-all-other-humans game either. It's ages 12+ in the EU and 13+ in the US.

grumpyGamer

The pr knows there is no point in even trying to fight this, so they just say fuck it.

But i swear to god i am so anti feminism this days that i can't even hear about it anymore.

I do believe that this will ruin many great games in the long run, and no i am not talking about some bouncing boobs

Iceternal

The pr knows there is no point in even trying to fight this, so they just say fuck it.

But i swear to god i am so anti feminism this days that i can't even hear about it anymore.

I do believe that this will ruin many great games in the long run, and no i am not talking about some bouncing boobs
Prepare for the last of us 2 !

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Parents don't need to hear about their 10 year old playing a shoot-all-other-humans game either. It's ages 12+ in the EU and 13+ in the US.

Are you going to tell me that all parents care about animated sexualization and animated violence equally? Because mine sure as heck did not. Ratings are guidelines, and actual content matters more than a number or letter on a box, especially when a parent knows what that content is. The original Halo was rated 17+ in the US, and so is Grand Theft Auto 5. I'm sure plenty of parents wouldn't care if their eight year old was playing Fortnite.

And this would be one thing if they were removing animation that was always there. Doing so because a handful of people complained, and the game's media shamed them into taking action. That's not the case, here.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I didn’t notice it in the game but those two examples are actually some of the most subtle/realistic examples I’ve ever seen in a game. Seems to factor for restriction from clothing and in response to gravity, not just an arbitrary bouncing.

Not sure why it would be considered offensive over motionless mannequin boobs. I guess I could see someone arguing from “family friendly” angle due to the young fanbase for the game, but even that makes no sense because kids should learn breasts are a normal part of life. Just being there and being subject to motion shouldn’t be taught as being sexualized.

Last edited:

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I don’t even see what was so sexualized about the examples. Boobs jiggle when they move around. It’s not like DoA with giant boobs + exaggerated jiggle.

I guess I don’t understand at what point you consider something “sexualized”.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Are you going to tell me that all parents care about animated sexualization and animated violence equally? Because mine sure as heck did not. Ratings are guidelines, and actual content matters more than a number or letter on a box, especially when a parent knows what that content is. The original Halo was rated 17+ in the US, and so is Grand Theft Auto 5. I'm sure plenty of parents wouldn't care if their eight year old was playing Fortnite.

And this would be one thing if they were removing animation that was always there. Doing so because a handful of people complained, and the game's media shamed them into taking action. That's not the case, here.
I question the parent's priorities, if they find it worse if the fully covered breasts of female characters move round about how they would in reality than if their child plays a game that revolves around shooting humans. Letting an eight year old play Fortnite is highly questionable.

Lone Wolf

Okay, here's an apparently unpopular opinion. Like it or not, jiggling breasts sexualize women, despite it being a perfectly normal and natural thing. This game made it through five seasons of non-jiggling breasts, and some animator(s) decided to do something about that, which was likely ignored or overlooked by the team. The female characters were not sexualized like this before, and Epic is going for the widest audience possible, so they do not need to rock the boat in any way. This wasn't a change that was needed or should have been made. Parents don't need to hear about their 10 year old playing a game that's adding breast physics.

At the same time, that PR response was shit. Perhaps it's unintentional, but it's poorly written in a "you're wrong, they're right" way, which criticizes anyone who disagrees with changing it back, and criticizes developers who do do choose to put natural breast animation in their games. I'm getting really tired of game developer PR acting like they don't even need to pretend people who disagree with their decisions shouldn't be insulted. While I believe fortnight is pretty much unstoppable right now (and the game is so casual 99 percent of their audience probably won't even hear about this) you can see how that sort of thing worked out with Battlefield.
Jiggling breast’s don’t automatically sexualize a woman. What rock do you live under?

Kadayi

Banned
I don’t even see what was so sexualized about the examples. Boobs jiggle when they move around. It’s not like DoA with giant boobs + exaggerated jiggle.

I guess I don’t understand at what point you consider something “sexualized”.

Don't worry Epic has got this covered in their next update: -

276C327400000578-3033285-image-a-11_1428655513596.jpg

:messenger_winking:

Last edited:
Facts of life:
Boobs jiggle.
Feminists complain about everything.

Really though, this is such a nontroversy. Epic's response is spineless, though.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I’ve seen a few headlines for this recently but finally watched the example videos. When only seeing the headlines I thought they pushed out some mistake where boobs were comically bouncing all over the place. After watching the videos all I thought was “wait, that’s it?”.

Breakage

“This is unintended, embarrassing, and it was careless for us to let this ship,” they said.
So according to that Epic guy, reality is "embarrassing".

Javthusiast

Banned
They didnt even jiggle crazy like in the doa games. And guess what in real life even with sports bras the boobs jiggle under strong movement. What is wrong with people seeing THIS as a problem?

The slightest fucking jiggle of breasts is now cause for removal and claims of "embarrassing"

I mean what in the fucking shit? Just what are people doing these days? What the fuck is wrong with people? How did things get so bad? Not even the hardest of hardcore conservative, fundamentalist Christian would be as puritanical as the modern day "left"

As if I couldn't hate this stupid fucking game enough, Fortnite is "Fisher Price Presents: Baby's First Online Shooter"

Boy do I miss the Cliffy B era Epic games, those were fun times.

onlyoneno1

Well the way the boob jiggle was implemented was pretty embarrassing for a big studio like Epic. They will bring them back once they make the animations better, or so I hope.

Pallas

I don’t see how it’s over sexualizing women. I would agree with you if the breast physics were on par with past DOA games or Soul Calibur franchise(looking at you Taki) this is very tamed in comparison and probably a lot more realistic.

Should we also complain about the clothes too? Short denim shorts are probably over sexualizing women as well. I mean just look at all of those legs!

Domisto

Can't they just give them better sports bras?

They obviously don't want to reduce the size of the breasts so there's still some internal conflict going on here.

mcz117chief

Ok, that's it, I'm just deleting it. I will not support this ultra-prudish behaviour in anyway. Actually, I just ordered Dead or Alive Extreme 3 for PS4.

The slightest fucking jiggle of breasts is now cause for removal and claims of "embarrassing"

I mean what in the fucking shit? Just what are people doing these days? What the fuck is wrong with people? How did things get so bad? Not even the hardest of hardcore conservative, fundamentalist Christian would be as puritanical as the modern day "left"

As if I couldn't hate this stupid fucking game enough, Fortnite is "Fisher Price Presents: Baby's First Online Shooter"

Boy do I miss the Cliffy B era Epic games, those were fun times.

I have a female ultra-Christian friend (who is 60 btw.) who plays Dragon's Crown with me and finds the aesthetics fine. I have no idea what kind of person you have got to be to honestly find this offensive. I genuinely think that most people are just faking outrage to appear "woke".

Last edited:

Hotspurr

Banned
Sounds like a bunch of pussyhat wearing feminists got worked up and complained about something they don't even participate in. Welcome to the future. Is Reset having their usual celebratory circlejerk about this yet?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Sounds like a bunch of pussyhat wearing feminists got worked up and complained about something they don't even participate in. Welcome to the future. Is Reset having their usual celebratory circlejerk about this yet?
giphy.gif

HOW DARE YOU

DonF

Their excuse is laughable. The boobs physics were an accident?!?! Wtf. That's why they are removing it. Come on!

Darak

People who are embarrassed by breasts jiggle in Fortnite are going to be embarrassed just for the breast size anyway. The only female body types which are acceptable for the current dominant culture seem to be androgynous or morbidly obese, and anything else is considered sexist. But this is a red herring, because at the end of the day anything can be triggering and anything can be targeted.

This could have ended up being a repeat of the Overwatch issue, where some random Tracer pose was pointed out as sexist. IIRC, Blizzard trolled the community substituting the pose with an actually sexist one (a pinup pose from the 40's) but unsurprisingly, all the complainers celebrated the change. The issue was never about actual sexism, but about the prominent PC/feminism groups ensuring they have complete control about the dominant narrative, and testing their power to censor or modify any popular content whatsoever.

Game developers and publishers need to wake up to the fact that they will always lose if they enter this kind of battle. The best answer is no answer at all.

Last edited:

Paracelsus

Weird, I was told I have to believe the increase of unpleasant looking women in videogames was just a result of poor dev tools, and not an agenda.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
they are barely jiggling, that's what I call jiggling breasts:

wC9.gif

tenor.gif

Remove hair physics too, very distracting watching that hair go all over the place.

Well, hair is a secondary sex characteristic (like breasts), along with male abs/pecs and beards.

Sad part is, most of the complainers are not women. They are virtue signaling boys who claim this is what women want. Bet.

Finally, now the soyboys can play the game again without having to cover their eyes at the sight of a woman.

Klepek is a happy little boy right now. Now back to shooting people and emote dancing on their corpses.

Last edited by a moderator:

manfestival

glad that we have our priorities straight. I can tell my future kids one day that boob jiggles are worse than murdering everyone you see to be the last person standing.

It's because the space and memory they will need to add this latest anti fat shaming avatar....

SAT5e1369_ts1.jpg

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
It's because the space and memory they will need to add this latest anti fat shaming avatar....

SAT5e1369_ts1.jpg

Hey, my favorite part about Fable 2 was eating every pie I could find until my (female) avatar was morbidly obese. I also grew a beard. And if any of my husbands commented about my appearance I beat them.

Guess you could say I smashed the patriarchy.
#bodypositive #feministaf

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I'm 46, my wife is 43. Our son who plays Fortnite is going to be 18 in November. When he told us about this, my wife and I looked at each other
and laughed and said "you have to be kidding us, right? women's boobs NATURALLY jiggle when they run!". He said "I'm not joking, Epic took
it out!". My wife(who wears a 40D bra :messenger_beaming:) said "All those times we've been to the park and you saw women jogging, did you see their boobs
moving around? We didn't cover your eyes! It's natural."

I seriously cringe at what this society has become(at least what social justice warriors and other "everything offends me" people) have done to it.

Man I just don't know...

nemiroff

Gold Member
How dare boobs move! I'm for mandatory and free steel bras and breast reductions for everyone - Including men. Think about humanity!

Last edited:
Top Bottom