• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic sheds light on the data streaming requirements of the Unreal Engine 5 demo

VFXVeteran

Banned
Arguing with zealots isn’t worth your credibility.

My credibility is already shit because the mods don't speak up for me. People go around asking "why did he get that tag?" and it's never answered by a mod. Having my tag only incites more flames towards me. I'm beyond that point. If any of these guys want to get in the ring of graphics tech with me (as I invited so many times), I'm more than willing to step in and educate from an experienced programmer's perspective. Until they do that, it's just name-calling 100% of the time.

Shmunter

My credibility is already shit because the mods don't speak up for me. People go around asking "why did he get that tag?" and it's never answered by a mod. Having my tag only incites more flames towards me. I'm beyond that point. If any of these guys want to get in the ring of graphics tech with me (as I invited so many times), I'm more than willing to step in and educate from an experienced programmer's perspective. Until they do that, it's just name-calling 100% of the time.
NX gamer gave you a good schooling, as have most casuals. Acting a victim of your own creation is not something many stand to stomach. Even in this thread your nodding to obvious misrepresentation like it’s facts gives you away. What does that make you?

And yes, the only reason I hold you to account is because of the badge, otherwise I wouldn’t bat an eyelid.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You would think that but Sweeney has been happy to talk up Sony so far. Although I'm really addressing those here that claim that the UE5 demo would have to be scaled down to run on Series X. It's possible, but it certainly can't be assumed as Sweeney has carefully avoided saying that. At the moment there is no evidence that scaling down would be required.

Maybe it would have to be scaled up. :)

Evidence have been shown several times, and Tim Sweeney doesn't want to upset Microsoft, a major partner. That would easily destroy their XSX campaign and would easily drive Microsoft away from UE5 for most of its first party games. You only need to pay attention, it's pretty clear for someone looking for evidence.

"Depending" on the system. Actually PS5 is very likely pushing its RAM usage as well, so this makes even harder to do on other platforms.

Yup, when it comes to that "Epic Games are liars". Problem is, we should've seen something worth our time from xbox already instead of those repetitive, empty words that aren't "Philled" yet.

Ah c'mon man, cut them some slack. That HB2 teaser was very early, I'm sure they still have a lot of game logic and assets to finish working on. But I trust NT to deliver on that note.

"Harder" for other platforms, that's difficult to ever quantify without context and relativity. If we're talking something like the XBO and PS4, yes it would be much harder to pull off that demo, if not impossible, without massive restructuring of how it's designed and downscaling of all assets. Series S would need to scale back on visual fidelity.

But Series X? I don't see why it wouldn't run there aside from maybe a few tiny modifications here or there, and compiling the binary to run on the system itself. They'd also need to rewrite parts of the demo to target it's I/O systems and I think this might play into being the bigger issue not because of some ridiculous deficiency, but because a lot of XvA is proprietary to MS and I actually don't think they've shared too much of that with Epic so far. Especially considering some parts of it are still in development, so that'd be handing Epic a moving target which is impossible to optimize in their engine for, at this time.

I can't speculate too much about PC; they don't have the I/O setups of the consoles though I guess if someone designed their own OS from some Linux variant like FreeOS they could design their own I/O filesystem. They'd still need to program decompression hardware simulation on an FPGA and plug that into the PC as a card over PCIe 4.0 or such. But then you're talking about tailoring the demo for that type of setup in addition to everything else.

Or, just stick in more system RAM and try keeping as many parts of assets in RAM as possible to cut down on accesses to the storage. That's an immediate solution, but once the I/O changes hit the PC scene there'd be nothing stopping them from running that demo at 4K60 and probably with more effects too, since they'll have the best GPUs around in short order.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
This thread has been so entertaining. All these butthurt Sony fans got their fangs out!

Why can't yall just admit that a good fucking storage medium is only a good fucking Storage medium and not some reality defining piece of technology? The PS5 storage solution is going to be great but it wont render for you, nor with it ray trace, or crunch data. Its a fucking storage solution for really quick loading and streaming in assets that you may or may not even notice.

Most characters in games don't move fast enough to take advantage of current SSD speeds, so sony's solution, while amazing, is complete overkill.

Why do yall have to be such assholes to justify your purchase of a device? You realize in your blind zealous rage you are attacking actual industry people who come to this site right? Just because they dare question your Sacred Symbols.

Why do you fight so hard for a storage solution? Is it because you know you have to make up for the other deficiencies of your chosen god? Or because you are upset that the PS5, while an incredible device, wont be the best thing on the block render-performance-wise? Be honest, or not, I don't care. Just please keep being entertaining. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Ah c'mon man, cut them some slack. That HB2 teaser was very early, I'm sure they still have a lot of game logic and assets to finish working on. But I trust NT to deliver on that note.

"Harder" for other platforms, that's difficult to ever quantify without context and relativity. If we're talking something like the XBO and PS4, yes it would be much harder to pull off that demo, if not impossible, without massive restructuring of how it's designed and downscaling of all assets. Series S would need to scale back on visual fidelity.

But Series X? I don't see why it wouldn't run there aside from maybe a few tiny modifications here or there, and compiling the binary to run on the system itself. They'd also need to rewrite parts of the demo to target it's I/O systems and I think this might play into being the bigger issue not because of some ridiculous deficiency, but because a lot of XvA is proprietary to MS and I actually don't think they've shared too much of that with Epic so far. Especially considering some parts of it are still in development, so that'd be handing Epic a moving target which is impossible to optimize in their engine for, at this time.

I can't speculate too much about PC; they don't have the I/O setups of the consoles though I guess if someone designed their own OS from some Linux variant like FreeOS they could design their own I/O filesystem. They'd still need to program decompression hardware simulation on an FPGA and plug that into the PC as a card over PCIe 4.0 or such. But then you're talking about tailoring the demo for that type of setup in addition to everything else.

Or, just stick in more system RAM and try keeping as many parts of assets in RAM as possible to cut down on accesses to the storage. That's an immediate solution, but once the I/O changes hit the PC scene there'd be nothing stopping them from running that demo at 4K60 and probably with more effects too, since they'll have the best GPUs around in short order.

It's not about CPU/GPU, you know? And I do expect the same to need massive RAM size for such results on current PC architecture, but that needs to be coded first. Would you expect a recommendation of 64-256GB RAM? Flight sim already recommends 32GB RAM for PC.

Shmunter

This thread has been so entertaining. All these butthurt Sony fans got their fangs out!

Why can't yall just admit that a good fucking storage medium is only a good fucking Storage medium and not some reality defining piece of technology? The PS5 storage solution is going to be great but it wont render for you, nor with it ray trace, or crunch data. Its a fucking storage solution for really quick loading and streaming in assets that you may or may not even notice.

Most characters in games don't move fast enough to take advantage of current SSD speeds, so sony's solution, while amazing, is complete overkill.

Why do yall have to be such assholes to justify your purchase of a device? You realize in your blind zealous rage you are attacking actual industry people who come to this site right? Just because they dare question your Sacred Symbols.

Why do you fight so hard for a storage solution? Is it because you know you have to make up for the other deficiencies of your chosen god? Or because you are upset that the PS5, while an incredible device, wont be the best thing on the block render-performance-wise? Be honest, or not, I don't care. Just please keep being entertaining. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
No such thing as overkill when it comes to real-time rendering. CPU’s can always get faster, Gfx processing can always get faster, feeding memory can always get faster. Even if the PS5 ssd was twice as fast as it is now, it would simply offer more for devs to exploit.

This is not word processing which can be done equally well on any powered system.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
No such thing as overkill when it comes to real-time rendering. CPU’s can always get faster, Gfx processing can always get faster, feeding memory can always get faster. Even if the PS5 ssd was twice as fast as it is now, it would simply offer more for devs to exploit.

This is not word processing which can be done equally well on any powered system.
My point is that it is a great storage solution that will be a boon, but wont do the real important work. The PS5 should have had the best of the best in all aspects (CPU, GPU, SSD, RAM, etc). It got the best of the best in Storage and possibly ram...

At launch enthusiast PCs will have better CPU, GPU, and possibly ram. Within a year PCs will have a better storage system for sure. Once again eclipsing the golden goose.
XBX will have a similar CPU, better GPU and similar RAM. Its SSD will always be inferior but not by that much.

I imagine Sonybots fight so hard about their storage solution because that is the only thing they can beat their chest about.

I have decided to purchase a PS5 for Horizon Zero Dawn 2. I will love the device despite its limitations. I simply don't understand why people argue this shit. In my mind it is lunacy to shill so hard for a product. Though I have to admit I enjoy the forum intrigue and fights quite a bit.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member

“The ability to stream in content at extreme speeds enables developers to create denser and more detailed environments, changing how we think about streaming content. It’s so impactful that we’ve rewritten our core I/O subsystems for Unreal Engine with the PlayStation 5 in mind,”

Shmunter

My point is that it is a great storage solution that will be a boon, but wont do the real important work. The PS5 should have had the best of the best in all aspects (CPU, GPU, SSD, RAM, etc). It got the best of the best in Storage and possibly ram...
All these things are intrinsically linked however. Storage solutions have not moved in decades unlike the other components. This is seen as liability for future innovation.

Getting more pixels each year is great, but gpu’s are merely scaling what they are given to work with and that has pretty much flatlined within restricted bounds thanks to traditional storage being the baseline.

It’s easy to argue that the storage can only ever be an overkill if it exceeds feeding ram faster than a GPU can process it. At that point we reach essentially unlimited ram. The closer we get to it, the more capable a system as a whole becomes, we’re nowhere near it.

Psykodad

Banned
Acting victimized much?

You have been bragging about being right about the specs and having inside sources left and right, while at the same time acting like a fanboy, getting banned over claiming PS5 runs at 9Tf in reality without being able to provide evidence when asked by the mods for verification (your ban got reduced because gaffers asked for it and you never seem to have provided evidence for your claims, just a lame excuse about how you?missed the mods messages), you can't seperate CGI from real-time (as a VFX vet) and now you double-down on the same claims of DynaBot (or whatever his name is) in that PS5 variable clockspeed-thread, even though a lot of people have already corrected him on his incorrect claims.

You completely undermined your own credibility, don't blame it on the mods or anyone else.

Last edited:
It's not about CPU/GPU, you know? And I do expect the same to need massive RAM size for such results on current PC architecture, but that needs to be coded first. Would you expect a recommendation of 64-256GB RAM? Flight sim already recommends 32GB RAM for PC.

Flight Sim also doesn't have SSD as minimum recommendation.

MINIMUMRECOMMENDEDIDEAL
CPUAMD Ryzen 3 1200
Intel i5-4460
Ryzen 5 1500X
Intel i5-8400
AMD Ryzen 7 Pro 2700X
Intel i7-9800X
GPURadeon RX 570
Nvidia GTX 700
Radeon RX 590
Nvidia GTX 970
Radeon VII
Nvidia RTX 2080
VRAM2GB4GB8GB
RAM8GB16GB32GB
Storage150 GB150 GB150 GB (SSD)

No, 64-256 GB RAM would not be a requirement to do the same as a 768 MB streaming pool just because PC doesn't have PS5's I/O. Like I've said earlier, it's not like Sony's I/O is the only one that's looked at the problem and tried implementing a solution. Many other solutions exist, some probably do a few things better than Sony's but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter too much as long as said solution is appropriate for the platform using it.

Well aware it's not a CPU/GPU thing but I think you're overestimating the role SSD I/O plays into end-of-point rendering, and underestimating that there are clever technological approaches that can essentially supplement parts of weaknesses in I/O systems to still produce results similar to if those platforms had those as strengths in their I/O system instead. There is always more than one approach/valid solution to many problems in areas of technology and system design, it's been this way for decades, arguably much longer.

I don't see 256 GB RAM being a valid solution for PC to implement accommodations for what PS5 is able to do with asset streaming of the UE5 because that's such a ludicrous jump to even consider xD. It also seems to ignore the scalability in offerings within the PC space regarding SSDs, coprocessor cards (that with things such as FPGAs can arguably mimic what PS5 and Series are doing with hardware decompressoin hardware....better in fact if you're willing to spend the extra money), OS customization support etc.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Last edited:

oagboghi2

Its like i have said for months, wait for the comparison vids at launch, there will be plenty of them and tech analasys. All this marketing schpeel, that people always suck up like clockwork, means nothing compared to actual results.
Dude, you are always in these thread participating in these console war bullshit. Who are you trying to fool.

It's the same familiar faces in all of these threads, including OP

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
You’re wrong. Take the L and move on.
Haha what am I wrong about? That Epic had to rewrite their UE5 engine to include some new architecture that would take advantage of a fast storage medium? I never said that didn't happen you troglodyte. You were dead wrong about the TFs and you still can't admit it. Keep pretending you have an ounce of integrity or intellect. Obviously you cannot take an L or move on yourself.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Dude, you are always in these thread participating in these console war bullshit. Who are you trying to fool.

It's the same familiar faces in all of these threads, including OP

An impressive feat, seen as though i'm a PC gamer and dont even own a console.
How was what i said 'console warring' anyway?

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Flight Sim also doesn't have SSD as minimum recommendation.

No, 64-256 GB RAM would not be a requirement to do the same as a 768 MB streaming pool just because PC doesn't have PS5's I/O. Like I've said earlier, it's not like Sony's I/O is the only one that's looked at the problem and tried implementing a solution. Many other solutions exist, some probably do a few things better than Sony's but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter too much as long as said solution is appropriate for the platform using it.

Well aware it's not a CPU/GPU thing but I think you're overestimating the role SSD I/O plays into end-of-point rendering, and underestimating that there are clever technological approaches that can essentially supplement parts of weaknesses in I/O systems to still produce results similar to if those platforms had those as strengths in their I/O system instead. There is always more than one approach/valid solution to many problems in areas of technology and system design, it's been this way for decades, arguably much longer.

I don't see 256 GB RAM being a valid solution for PC to implement accommodations for what PS5 is able to do with asset streaming of the UE5 because that's such a ludicrous jump to even consider xD. It also seems to ignore the scalability in offerings within the PC space regarding SSDs, coprocessor cards (that with things such as FPGAs can arguably mimic what PS5 and Series are doing with hardware decompressoin hardware....better in fact if you're willing to spend the extra money), OS customization support etc.

I respect your analogy, but I still disagree with the requirements . The solid answer will be in late 2021, I guess.

VFXVeteran

Banned
NX gamer gave you a good schooling, as have most casuals. Acting a victim of your own creation is not something many stand to stomach. Even in this thread your nodding to obvious misrepresentation like it’s facts gives you away. What does that make you?

And yes, the only reason I hold you to account is because of the badge, otherwise I wouldn’t bat an eyelid.
NX Gamer isn't a graphics programmer. I don't remember ever being schooled by anyone concerning graphics programming. Not sure what you are talking about.. and damn sure not being schooled by any of the Sony zealots. My career is what it is.. no matter what people think of me, they can't take away my experience.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

An impressive feat, seen as though i'm a PC gamer and dont even own a console.
How was what i said 'console warring' anyway?
Of course, you don't own a console.🙄 You are just really invested in stupid console wars though.

NX Gamer isn't a graphics programmer. I don't remember ever being schooled by anyone concerning graphics programming. Not sure what you are talking about.. and damn sure not being schooled by any of the Sony zealots. My career is what it is.. no matter what people think of me, they can't take away my experience.
Do you see any potential errors in the OP?

Sony zealots. Yeah, I too don't understand why people don't take you seriously

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Acting victimized much?

You have been bragging about being right about the specs and having inside sources left and right, while at the same time acting like a fanboy, getting banned over claiming PS5 runs at 9Tf in reality without being able to provide evidence when asked by the mods for verification (your ban got reduced because gaffers asked for it and you never seem to have provided evidence for your claims, just a lame excuse about how you?missed the mods messages), you can't seperate CGI from real-time (as a VFX vet) and now you double-down on the same claims of DynaBot (or whatever his name is) in that PS5 variable clockspeed-thread, even though a lot of people have already corrected him on his incorrect claims.

You completely undermined your own credibility, don't blame it on the mods or anyone else.

First of all, let's get some things straight once and for all:

1) My sources was indeed correct about the performance of the PS5. They mentioned to me between 1080-1080Ti performance. And guess what? That was correct! Get over it and move on..

2) 9TF was mentioned by me because 100% effciency of any hardware is impossible to attain over any sustained duration. I said ~9TF which translates to typical work. It was not meant at a slight against the PS5's number. Who cares if it's 9TF or 10TF? It's not going to make much difference in realworld scenarios. Nitpicking over the TFLOP is ridiculous. The bottomline is that the PS5 is less powerful than people had hoped, wished, dreamed, etc.. Get over it.

3) If I'm a fanboy of the PC because I like superior hardware, too bad. Get over it. I like the best of the best because that's what kind of industry I was born into. You guys are fanboys yourselves and worse because you see life through rose-colored glasses. Any exclusive is the holy grail of videogaming in your eyes. Pot calling kettle?

4) Separate CGI from RT with a screenshot on HZD2? Ahh.. ok, if you have to resort to an oversimplification to discredit what my experience is.. have at it. Just stay away from trying to come into the ring of graphics tech. Keep your distance and do the continual name calling and belittling.

5) You and all your Sony posse continue to believe there is a pot of gold at the end of your PS5 rainbow. You defend a platform so hard that it's almost insanity. You have no stock in Sony, no knowledge of how 3D graphics work, no experience in judging graphics based on technical information. You just troll anyone who distorts your reality. It's pathetic and sad. You have a painful road ahead once next-gen gets started and I'll be right there eating popcorn and enjoying your meltdowns.

Shmunter

Here’s some advice, drop the badge. Go about your your business without the burden of added scrutiny. You can’t keep this up without taking a bruising.

Or don’t, it’s your choice.

Psykodad

Banned
2) 9TF was mentioned by me because 100% effciency of any hardware is impossible to attain over any sustained duration. I said ~9TF which translates to typical work. It was not meant at a slight against the PS5's number. Who cares if it's 9TF or 10TF? It's not going to make much difference in realworld scenarios. Nitpicking over the TFLOP is ridiculous. The bottomline is that the PS5 is less powerful than people had hoped, wished, dreamed, etc.. Get over it.

So you never backed up that false claim, as requested by the mods, which was the very reason you got banned?

Makes me wonder why they even unbanned you, since they clearly stated that due to your vetted status, you needed to provide evidence.
Since you don't have any and you know you got let off the hook easy this time, seems now that you are more careful with your wording.

3) If I'm a fanboy of the PC because I like superior hardware, too bad. Get over it. I like the best of the best because that's what kind of industry I was born into. You guys are fanboys yourselves and worse because you see life through rose-colored glasses. Any exclusive is the holy grail of videogaming in your eyes. Pot calling kettle?
I don't care what platform is best, I just enjoy the back and forth during new gen launch lead-ups.

You're the one creating a celebration-thread trashtalking PS5 and cheering about how amazing PC is.

4) Separate CGI from RT with a screenshot on HZD2? Ahh.. ok, if you have to resort to an oversimplification to discredit what my experience is.. have at it. Just stay away from trying to come into the ring of graphics tech. Keep your distance and do the continual name calling and belittling.

You're weasling your way out now. That wasn't an oversimplifucation, it's what happened.
"it was a screenshot" is your scapegoat.

5) You and all your Sony posse continue to believe there is a pot of gold at the end of your PS5 rainbow. You defend a platform so hard that it's almost insanity. You have no stock in Sony, no knowledge of how 3D graphics work, no experience in judging graphics based on technical information. You just troll anyone who distorts your reality. It's pathetic and sad. You have a painful road ahead once next-gen gets started and I'll be right there eating popcorn and enjoying your meltdowns.
This is straight-up fanboy-drivle.
I don't belong to a posse, I don't have friends on Gaf, I don't care if you or others dislike Playstation.

I just speak my mind and don't care about being considered a fanboy because I happen to dislike MS and their strategies as one of the big three console manufacturers.

I also don't brag about credentials, talk shit, run to mods and hide behind their backs when things backfire and then throw them under the bus when the heat is too much.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Here’s some advice, drop the badge. Go about your your business without the burden of added scrutiny. You can’t keep this up without taking a bruising.

Or don’t, it’s your choice.

I didn't make the badge. And it shouldn't matter to you. I do indeed have contacts in the industry. They do indeed give me information. Most of that information is indeed correct. Lastly, I am indeed a graphics programmer and have been for 20yrs.

VFXVeteran

Banned
So you never backed up that false claim, as requested by the mods, which was the very reason you got banned?

I talked to the mods in private about my claims. What we talked about is none of your business.

Makes me wonder why they even unbanned you, since they clearly stated that due to your vetted status, you needed to provide evidence.
Since you don't have any and you know you got let off the hook easy this time, seems now that you are more careful with your wording.

So let's get this straight. you want me banned because I said 9TF instead of 10TFLOP? Or do you want me banned because you can't stand me? Let me go further and tell you that there are MANY people on these boards that want the whole lot of you Sony zealots banned. How does that feel?

I don't care what platform is best, I just enjoy the back and forth during new gen launch lead-ups.

You do care what platform is the best. Why else do we have such much confrontation whenever there is an Xbox thread or a Sony PS exclusive game review thread? Why is 5G/s SSD such a basis for arguments in nearly every thread on these boards? Stop lying to yourself and look at things for what they are.

You're the one creating a celebration-thread trashtalking PS5 and cheering about how amazing PC is.

The PC is amazing because it's agnostic. You can make it as powerful as you want it to be. Nothing wrong with that.

You're weasling your way out now. That wasn't an oversimplifucation, it's what happened.
"it was a screenshot" is your scapegoat.

Do you seriously want me to say - "Hey guys, I really can't tell the difference between CG and games despite having worked in the industry for 20yrs." Really? Keep wishing..

This is straight-up fanboy-drivle.
I don't belong to a posse, I don't have friends on Gaf, I don't care if you or others dislike Playstation.

Then get off my nuts.

I also don't brag about credentials, talk shit, run to mods and hide behind their backs when things backfire and then throw them under the bus when the heat is too much.

How many dudes in the industry left these boards because of all the backlash over the PLAYSTATION? Should I consider names? You guys were cruel to Dark1x, OsirisBlack, Heisenberg, etc.. etc.. You guys are the worse.

Talking about my credentials isn't bragging. It's retaliation for the insults.

Just put me on ignore and it'll make your life easier.

Psykodad

Banned
I talked to the mods in private about my claims. What we talked about is none of your business.

So no evidence, otherwise you would've let everybody know it by now.

So let's get this straight. you want me banned because I said 9TF instead of 10TFLOP? Or do you want me banned because you can't stand me? Let me go further and tell you that there are MANY people on these boards that want the whole lot of you Sony zealots banned. How does that feel?
I don't care if you are banned or not.
Neither do I care if people would like me getting banned.

It's just a forum and it's all just people expressing their opinions.
Nothing more, nothing less.

You do care what platform is the best. Why else do we have such much confrontation whenever there is an Xbox thread or a Sony PS exclusive game review thread? Why is 5G/s SSD such a basis for arguments in nearly every thread on these boards? Stop lying to yourself and look at things for what they are.
The only thing I care about is what platform delivers the games I want and if the next-gen is better than the previous.
It just so happens to be Playstation. Could just as well have been Xbox or Nintendo, but they happen to not have the games, or not enough at least, to cater to my tastes.

I've never even seen an Xbox One or an Xbox One X in real life in all these years, apart from the boxes in stores.
It's just discussions on a forum, because that's what you do over here.
After the launch-period, you'll barely see me talking about MS or Xbox until next next-gen.

The PC is amazing because it's agnostic. You can make it as powerful as you want it to be. Nothing wrong with that.
Yes, I know. I'm indifferent to PC.
It would actually be my platform of choice if Playstation wasn't/won't be a thing.

Do you seriously want me to say - "Hey guys, I really can't tell the difference between CG and games despite having worked in the industry for 20yrs." Really? Keep wishing..
You already made that clear during that discussion about HFW.
The evidence is there.

How many dudes in the industry left these boards because of all the backlash over the PLAYSTATION? Should I consider names? You guys were cruel to Dark1x, OsirisBlack, Heisenberg, etc.. etc.. You guys are the worse.

No idea what you were talking about, I don't even think I was a Gaf-member yet.
Didn't join until after the split with ResetEra and even then it took about a year before became really active.

I only know those names from lurking on Gaf back in 2013.

bohrdom

Banned

Yeah this community gets pretty toxic if you don't take a side. Do you know of any forum where the people in the community are mainly technical?

bitbydeath

Gold Member

D dark10x just checked-in here last month.
OsirisBlack OsirisBlack left on his own accord to avoid blacklash. But I suspect he’d be welcomed back if he tried.
HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 is still a valued and respectable member here.

VFXVeteran

Banned
OsirisBlack OsirisBlack left on his own accord to avoid blacklash. But I suspect he’d be welcomed back if he tried.

That may be true. But the reason for them leaving and all the negative comments they received was because of Sony fans - not Xbox fans. You guys gotta take responsibility for your actions. Especially if you are so hard on us and what we say.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
That may be true. But the reason for them leaving and all the negative comments they received was because of Sony fans - not Xbox fans. You guys gotta take responsibility for your actions. Especially if you are so hard on us and what we say.

Do we really need an additional us vs them mentality?

0*rzPVabXBE-3sdHAn.

We need Kevin Butler back, this place should be about games and not stupid wars.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
For the record, I have nothing to do with that.

But keep lumping "us" all together. Definitely making a point there.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Agreed. But realize I never start these wars. I am consistently being trolled every time I post.

I’d recommend talking up less about PC power as the be all/end all. But I agree you shouldn’t continue to get berated for past comments.

Neogaf needs to come together.

Yeah this community gets pretty toxic if you don't take a side. Do you know of any forum where the people in the community are mainly technical?

Beyond3D discussions tend to be that way. You still can spot a few preferences one way or the other in someone here or there, but it never overpowers any part of technical discussions. Any quips tend to be just a few posts at most and always stay relatively light-hearted, but the vast majority of discussion is on the technological side and staying fair to all involved platforms.

Granted I just lurk the Console Technology side mainly, maybe things go differently on other parts of that forum? If so it's none of my concern, just like how I don't really venture to the Politics side here. Keep that kind of stuff isolated to those areas where they belong.

I guess Guru3D might also count if you're more interested in 3D graphics artists discussing their craft. I haven't really been over there though.

Dark checked in but he hasn't posted here in ages. He used to post a lot more frequently until he got chased off.

Osiris has been gone for a bit for reasons you mention.

Heisenberg is still here of course, I see them post here and there.

O'dium's still around too, they post here and there.

That said VFX's points still hold validity; people were getting chased off way too much during that February - April period.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Dark checked in but he hasn't posted here in ages. He used to post a lot more frequently until he got chased off.

Osiris has been gone for a bit for reasons you mention.

Heisenberg is still here of course, I see them post here and there.

O'dium's still around too, they post here and there.

That said VFX's points still hold validity; people were getting chased off way too much during that February - April period.

D dark10x posted last month which was good to hear from him.

Lethal01

Okay, from an experienced programmers perspective how does a 700mb streaming pool prove that the the demo was only using 700MB/s of bandwidth? Why would anyone want to get in the ring with someone when they are in the middle of demonstrating they don't know what they are talking about?

Why do we need to lower ourselves to your level instead of having meaningful discussion?
Why do you seem to think saying "I really am a professional" or "you guys are fanboys" makes what your saying look any less wrong?

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Okay, from an experienced programmers perspective how does a 700mb streaming pool prove that the the demo was only using 700MB/s of bandwidth? Why would anyone want to get in the ring with someone when they are in the middle of demonstrating they don't know what they are talking about?

Why do we need to lower ourselves to your level instead of having meaningful discussion?
Why do you seem to think saying "I really am a professional" or "you guys are fanboys" makes what your saying look any less wrong?

Tell you what. If you can put away all the offensive internet speak and talk to me like a human being, you might actually get something out of me.

I am not going to respond to people who bring my name up in a negative context. Why would I have meaningfull discussions when I'm constantly being accused of not knowing anything (which is a direct troll move since you KNOW that I have worked in the industry before)?

I'm not going to speculate on the demo and how the PS5 was used with it. That's foolish. I'd rather wait for the devkit next year.

Last edited:
First of all, let's get some things straight once and for all:

1) My sources was indeed correct about the performance of the PS5. They mentioned to me between 1080-1080Ti performance. And guess what? That was correct! Get over it and move on..

This all reads very professionally. I especially like point 5 where you complain about trolling while saying the most inflammatory, condescending shit. People have asked for your actual perspective on the thread topic but you're here to complain you're a victim and tell people off. You're also here to continue the 9Tf FUD without actual proof, just assumptions, an offense the mods usually ban people over but poor persecuted you has special exceptions, don't you? Some of us would love to hear more in-depth technical analysis from someone with your background and not see you become this big of a warrior upset at any perceived slight, we'd like to see YOU GET OVER the fact that there are people who aren't very nice to you because we all deal with that, especially when attempting to make authoritative claims without proof.

Lethal01

Tell you what. If you can put away all the offensive internet speak and talk to me like a human being, you might actually get something out of me.

I am not going to respond to people who bring my name up in a negative context. Why would I have meaningfull discussions when I'm constantly being accused of not knowing anything (which is a direct troll move since you KNOW that I have worked in the industry before)?

I'm not going to speculate on the demo and how the PS5 was used with it. That's foolish. I'd rather wait for the devkit next year.

Being a human being doesn't mean being polite to people who are being rude. We point out when people are talking nonsense offline just as much as we do online.
It's not trolling when you are showing you don't don't know what you are talking about despite working in the industry. If you are making foolish claims then it doesn't matter if you are in the industry since the end result is you don't know what you are talking about.

You agreed with a post and poster claiming that a 700mb streaming pool prove the bandwidth of the consoles SSD's are meaningless. If you don't want to speculate then don't speculate. You will earn the right to be spoken to like someone who knows what they are talking about when you back up what you are saying it's stead of crying and shouting "I'm a professional, you guys are fanboys". Until then I see no reason why you would think you deserve me to speak to you speak to you any different than a 12 year old console fanboy.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Cut the shit. You came into this thread talking about “Sony zealots” and other nonsense.

you want to speak with a tone and talk down to others, but demand that everyone treat you with respect. Why? when you refuse to do the same for others

NX Gamer isn't a graphics programmer.

:pie_eyeroll:

with all respect you are not a real-time graphics programmer your career is about offline renderers, you have made claims before in beyond3d just to be immediately proven wrong by screen shots, you are appealing to yourself as authority when your career doesnt make you more competent than NX Gamer and specially with your background in beyond3d where you have reputation of "frequently make bold claims about things you are often proven wrong about"

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
:pie_eyeroll:

with all respect you are not a real-time graphics programmer your career is about offline renderers, you have made claims before in beyond3d just to be immediately proven wrong by screen shots, you are appealing to yourself as authority when your career doesnt make you more competent than NX Gamer and specially with your background in beyond3d where you have reputation of "frequently make bold claims about things you are often proven wrong about"

I am a real-time graphics programmer currently. I work for Lockheed Martin Missile and Fire control and have been working in real-time renderer for 3yrs now.

And mentioning B3D posts from like 7yrs ago? People change careers and roles. The fact that you had to dig up something that was so long ago is really bizzare. It's like you want to use that to discredit me today. Once again trying to belittle my knowledge and reputation.

Lastly, offline renderer graphics programmer is definitely as challenging if not more than real-time. I'm not sure why you think a RT graphics programmer has a leg up on the offline renderer guys. It's all the same concepts.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Cut the shit. You came into this thread talking about “Sony zealots” and other nonsense.

you want to speak with a tone and talk down to others, but demand that everyone treat you with respect. Why? when you refuse to do the same for others

You need to do some research on these forums and see the threads where I am trying to give sound input and how I get bashed consistently. It's all in the history. I'm tired of it. Instead of leaving like other insiders, I'll just continue to tussle. Eventually I'll either be ignored by those that dislike me, or people will start to have meaningful conversations.

Last edited:
I am a real-time graphics programmer currently. I work for Lockheed Martin Missile and Fire control and have been working in real-time renderer for 3yrs now.

And mentioning B3D posts from like 7yrs ago? People change careers and roles. The fact that you had to dig up something that was so long ago is really bizzare. It's like you want to use that to discredit me today. Once again trying to belittle my knowledge and reputation.

Lastly, offline renderer graphics programmer is definitely as challenging if not more than real-time. I'm not sure why you think a RT graphics programmer has a leg up on the offline renderer guys. It's all the same concepts.

posts from 4 years ago, you mentioned you were reading a book about real time graphics back then

being challenging is not the same as involving the same kind of work, you said the same thing about the concepts in beyond3d and they explained you why they are different back then

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
This all reads very professionally. I especially like point 5 where you complain about trolling while saying the most inflammatory, condescending shit. People have asked for your actual perspective on the thread topic but you're here to complain you're a victim and tell people off. You're also here to continue the 9Tf FUD without actual proof, just assumptions, an offense the mods usually ban people over but poor persecuted you has special exceptions, don't you? Some of us would love to hear more in-depth technical analysis from someone with your background and not see you become this big of a warrior upset at any perceived slight, we'd like to see YOU GET OVER the fact that there are people who aren't very nice to you because we all deal with that, especially when attempting to make authoritative claims without proof.

I tried man. Believe me I tried.

VFXVeteran

Banned
posts from 4 years ago, you mentioned you were reading a book about real time graphics back then

being challenging is not the same as involving the same kind of work, in beyond3d they already explained you that

4yrs ago was when I was in between jobs. Realtime graphics isn't rocket science. It doesn't deserve the hype that you guys try to give it to discredit my skills. I was quite surprised how easy it is when I started working with it.

Top Bottom