• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic: Xbox silence at GDC isn't the full picture

Horizon was first shown at E3 and ended up being the best racing game last year. I don't think when they show it matters, only that when they do it makes an impact.

Triple U

Banned
Sony didn't show us the console. They didn't show us much of the Gaikai Playstation 4 features, and instead, made a series of promises. We didn't see much of the OS, or evolution of PSN from the Playstation 3 to the Playstation 4.

Microsoft has a history of not showing stuff until its far enough along that they can demo it to an audience, especially within the video game space. That's why they tend to not announce video games 2-3 years ahead, and instead, wait until it's playable which tends to be months to one year out from the games actual release.

I hate to come between a man and his straws but come on. There's almost a dozen shots out of different features of the OS. All of it was shown in the video. And I'm not even sure what you mean by the psn part, almost every feature based on the web, is surely tied into PSN one way another.

DEADEVIL

R.I.P. to the hyperbole 'disaster' theory.

It was silly to pretend that devs somehow needed GDC to keep developing for the Nextbox.

MS is still in control of it's own destiny as it always was.

A great E3 showing and it the amnesia will begin as to how people pretending GDC and the rumorville are somehow going to effect the console after it's officially revealed.

surly

Banned
I hate to come between a man and his straws but come on. There's almost a dozen shots out of different features of the OS. All of it was shown in the video.
How do you know that wasn't just mocked up? How do you know that those features will actually appear on the PS4? Sony said at GDC that not all features would be there day one.

Here's an example: -

The streaming and cloud functionality that Gaikai boss David Perry described at PlayStation Meeting were “aspirational” rather than confirmed day one PS4 features, says SCEA president and CEO Jack Tretton.
http://www.edge-online.com/news/ps4s-proposed-cloud-features-are-aspirational-not-day-one/

People are getting way too caught up in hype instead of waiting for the real products and their games/features to be shown off.

Spinluck

Sony wants to end this console generation quickly, Microsoft doesn't because they're taking over 40% of retail dollars spent each month.

Why should MS rush a next-gen Xbox announcement and negatively impact current gen sales when the product won't be available until November?

The most important goal for them right this moment is selling Tomb Raider, GoW Judgement, Bioshock Infinite, Minecraft, etc.

Any important deals and discussions that happen, happen behind the scenes with announcements at E3 and beyond. MS isn't going to have a hard time getting media coverage.

How does Sony want to end this gen quickly? Don't you mean Nintendo?

They are still selling and making profit on PS3, and still have a few exclusives for the console due this year. This makes no sense, Sony isn't trying to shove the PS3 out of the way, they are going to support 2-3 years after PS4 launches, book it.

omonimo

Banned
R.I.P. to the hyperbole 'disaster' theory.

It was silly to pretend that devs somehow needed GDC to keep developing for the Nextbox.

MS is still in control of it's own destiny as it always was.

A great E3 showing and it the amnesia will begin as to how people pretending GDC and the rumorville are somehow going to effect the console after it's officially revealed.

We are talking of the same company who claims there wasn't chance to see any special announcement by sony for febraury, I'm right?

We are talking of the same company who claims there wasn't no way to have any special announcement by sony for febraury, I'm right?

I have no idea what you're trying to say here. Are you trying to say Microsoft said Sony wouldn't have an announcement in February?

Ryse (which is rumored to not be Kinect based at this point) could be a system seller. Crytek, when given the proper resources, can make some good-looking games.

omonimo

Banned
I have no idea what you're trying to say here. Are you trying to say Microsoft said Sony wouldn't have an announcement in February?

Ryse (which is rumored to not be Kinect based at this point) could be a system seller. Crytek, when given the proper resources, can make some good-looking games.

I'm not trying to say anything, it's just microsoft who said sony wouldn't have announce nothing of special in the February event when almost everyone knew otherwise. Because they have the full control of their destiny, I imagine.

They are still selling and making profit on PS3, and still have a few exclusives for the console due this year. This makes no sense, Sony isn't trying to shove the PS3 out of the way, they are going to support 2-3 years after PS4 launches, book it.

Agreed. Plus, PS3 has already caught up with 360 sales and still bringing exclusives while MS hasn't really brought anything big in a long time.

So far, the ball is now in MS' court. People are already talking about the PS4 and unless MS has a ton of exclusives and a super powerful console to premiere, I'm kind of worried for them. I don't want them to try to ride the success of the 360 like Sony rode the PS2 and end up with egg on their face. I also hope the "always online and no used games" crap is a lie too. I have a strong feeling that a lot of consumers would not buy this console if they could not play used titles on it.

JJD

He is saying that MS is reacting to what Sony has shown.

oldergamer

Hmm.

Honestly, if there's anything to take from this. It's that Microsoft simply aren't ready to show anything yet. Perhaps they've hit some technical road blocks?

Why is it that just because sony decided to prematurely announce ps4 (and by premature I mean by not showing final hardware.) that MS could have hit a technical road block? MS had a schedule and they seem to be sticking to it. It doesn't mean they had issues of any kind.

harSon

Banned
Sorry but this is not true. Every company announces games way in advance. Microsoft revealed Alan Wake, Too Human, Gears of War, Crackdown, Milo, the Peter Jackson project that never materialized, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, long before they were released or even able to be demoed onstage.

The mentality I'm talking about is a recent phenomenon. If you hadn't noticed, the majority of those games were announced within the first few years of the 360's lifespan. The only exception being Ryse, and like everything else in existence, there are exceptions. Look at Microsoft's press conferences from the last few years, and 9 times out of 10 you'll see a press conference where things aren't announced unless they're far enough along to be demoed.

Let's make this real simple. Sony wants to disrupt the status quo. Microsoft wants to prolong the status quo.

I don't think Sony is happy with their market share of the current generation and the amount of profit that Playstation is currently generating. There was a point where Playstation was generating 40% of Sony's profits. More to the point Sony is very unhappy with their current standing in the US market. It isn't bad to the point where they want to kill the PS3, but they do want a reboot ASAP.

Sony is in pretty rough shape in the North American market and much of the PS4 announcement was focused on trying to win back this market. The system was announced in the US (which is unusual), the lead designer was claimed to be an American (also unusual), they're using an American designed architecture (unusual). With very few exceptions the event was heavily geared towards American consumers. Sony is doing what they need to do and Microsoft is doing what they need to for the most part.

If I was Microsoft I would probably focus more on Europe and maybe make some major announcements there for that audience.

omonimo

Banned
Perhaps they see no need to respond as the reveal will speak for itself.

I'm not talking to respond to sony, but it's quite strange that from GDC isn't leaked anything about the new xbox. I'm not that sure would be happened the same without any 'premature' sony reveals. It seems the same microsoft not expected this annouce.

JJD

I don't think the silence is exactly a positive reaction, but it's only my point of view.

I agree. It's just that arguing that MS is in "total control" of their destiny is kind of a moot point IMO.

I mean, Edward Smith was in total control of the Titanic destiny until he crashed it on an iceberg right? ;-)

No, I don't think MS and the 720 are sinking! Lol! They will mange fine next gen.

Salvadora

I'm not talking to respond to sony, but it's quite strange that from GDC isn't leaked anything about the new xbox. I'm not that sure would be happened the same thing without the 'premature' sony reveals.

I remember reading fairly recently about Microsoft's internal secrecy when developing new products, and it gave the impression that leaks were very unlikely. They may be handling third parties in a similar fashion.

Superflat

Me too man. Remedy have the technical chops to blow us away they brought the 360 to its knees with the first game.

Next gen Alan Wake makes my butt clench. I loved the visual work in that game so much.
It was one of the first games I played on PC after I made myself an alright rig that could run it on high. So good.

See? Disastrous...wait, what did he say?

While I wish they'd announce it and share as much info as they can about it, I admire their ability to stick to a script. The closer they can get between announcing and then selling it the better. Give Sony less time to start copying the more attractive features they've added. Would love to have them both pre-ordered ASAP though.

Satchel

Banned

While I wish they'd announce it and share as much info as they can about it, I admire their ability to stick to a script. The closer they can get between announcing and then selling it the better. Give Sony less time to start copying the more attractive features they've added. Would love to have them both pre-ordered ASAP though.

If Microsoft pulled an Apple chickens would be shat.

Rare know Microsoft hardware literally better than anyone.

If they were let off the chain, it would be fucking scary.

It's true but I think they have been neutered to a shadow of their former self. I would love to be wrong though.

Me too. I got the funds ready I just want to get my Amazon order placed and be done with it.

I agree. It's just that arguing that MS is in "total control" of their destiny is kind of a moot point IMO.

I mean, Edward Smith was in total control of the Titanic destiny until he crashed it on an iceberg right? ;-)

No, I don't think MS and the 720 are sinking! Lol! They will mange fine next gen.
Well Microsoft can build another Titanic even it sunk(well Xbox1 sunk even it did a good job)

Top Bottom