• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic: Xbox silence at GDC isn't the full picture

Satchel

Banned
Could be, but with the recent revelation that their original schedule has been pushed back to May from April, it suggests all is not well behind the scenes.

The original leaked schedule had them revealing the new Xbox at E3. So if anything, the more they delay, the more on their original track they are.

If anything, the dedicated event could have been the response to Sonys event, if any.

jaypah

I'm not trying to say anything, it's just microsoft who said sony wouldn't have announce nothing of special in the February event when almost everyone knew otherwise. Because they have the full control of their destiny, I imagine.

lol oh my God, what are you even saying? This shit is getting comical. Not just you, the whole console war in general.

Microsoft has always been a company that's more in the business of showing what they're working on instead of telling you what they're working on. It's a fundamental difference between Microsoft and Sony, which can be see by the way they announce video games.

How did Sony not show us what they are working on?

Nebula

Do Microsoft realise that people are talking about switching to PC/PS4 next gen? I mean they must have some incredible stuff to reveal if they think they can sway the minds of all these folk who have decided to go elsewhere.

People I know anyway, who have been very loyal to Xbox

The original leaked schedule had them revealing the new Xbox at E3. So if anything, the more they delay, the more on their original track they are.

If anything, the dedicated event could have been the response to Sonys event, if any.

And Major Nelson at the very start of the year put up a timer. Maybe they have a plan after all despite some people wishing they were running around scared after Sony's reveal.

Being that their Kinect contributions are by far some of the most profitable I doubt MS is letting them off of that leash anytime soon.

I associate the current of iteration of Rare with avatars and Kinect Sports. Not Banjo. Not sure they still have a Banjo in them, but I'm open to being surprised. It's like some people think NFL2K will just reemerge if EA loses the NFL's video game exclusivity. But that team is strewn all around the world now. Much like the Rare that made Banjo 1 and 2.

Salvadora

Do Microsoft realise that a lot more people are talking about switching to PC/PS4 next gen? I mean they must have some incredible stuff to reveal if they think they can sway the minds of all these folk who have decided to go elsewhere.
The folks who have decided to go elsewhere without seeing the next Xbox won't be swayed, I'd imagine.

Satchel

Banned
Do Microsoft realise that a lot more people are talking about switching to PC/PS4 next gen? I mean they must have some incredible stuff to reveal if they think they can sway the minds of all these folk who have decided to go elsewhere.

A lot? Really? You know SonyGAF represents about .00000000000000005% of the market right?

Because you know, I'm sure Microsoft is shitting their pants because a bunch of Sony fans who were never planning on buying their console are....*gasp* still not buying their console.

No, Microsoft realizes they're selling shit tons of 360s and games. Chatter on game forums about a product that has not had one single announcement made concerning it won't amount to a thing when it actually gets launched this year or next.

I'm talking about stuff like Gaikai. If that were a Microsoft venture, we would not have known it officially existed until they announced and demoed it.

We'd have known they bought it though and assumed what it was for. Just like we're assuming we know what Phil Harrisson and Nancy Tellem are working on.

Microsoft has always been a company that's more in the business of showing what they're working on instead of telling you what they're working on. It's a fundamental difference between Microsoft and Sony, which can be see by the way they announce video games.
And how does this apply to the PS4 reveal exactly? Are you really that displeased that we didn't see the plastic housing of the console?

statham

Nah lol, Kojima is a guy who tends to go to every camp now and then, I don't expect an exclusive from him anymore since he's hyping up his FOX engine (which is for multiplatform development)
give him enough drinks, who knows what he signs. 'Heres your bar tab Koji, just sign it here and here and one more time....'

Unless you have conclusive market research to back this claim up, I doubt they will care too much until at least after the announcement.

And no, a GAF thread doesn't count as market research.

jaypah

Probably figuring that the majority of the consumers who will support this coming Gen don't care until it's advertised on their TV. The forum consumer has grown a lot since the start of the current Gen but no where near enough that any of what's going on right now is going to make or break success for either party.

That and the fact that they may actually have some mind blowing shit, like you said.

Satchel

Banned
Probably figuring that the majority of the consumers who will support this coming Gen don't care until it's advertised on their TV. The forum consumer has grown a lot since the start of the current Gen but no where near enough that any of what's going on right now is going to make or break success for either party.

That and the fact that they may actually have some mind blowing shit, like you said.

Mind you, that's forgetting that Sony still has time to drop shit bombs that turn people away. There was a lot more they DIDN'T show at that reveal that rational people would still be waiting on.

Nebula

I'm speaking about 10 of my friends, and multiple forum users who have been exclusively xbox since the original Xbox, who are now talking about, or have already decided to jump ship. Most of which are doing it because the current exclusives and the price of live don't seem worth it anymore.

Probably should have stuck a "People I know" in there.

Sony wants to end this console generation quickly, Microsoft doesn't because they're taking over 40% of retail dollars spent each month.

Why should MS rush a next-gen Xbox announcement and negatively impact current gen sales when the product won't be available until November?

The most important goal for them right this moment is selling Tomb Raider, GoW Judgement, Bioshock Infinite, Minecraft, etc.

Any important deals and discussions that happen, happen behind the scenes with announcements at E3 and beyond. MS isn't going to have a hard time getting media coverage.

jaguars-fan-gif.gif

Mind you, that's forgetting that Sony still has time to drop shit bombs that turn people away. There was a lot more they DIDN'T show at that reveal that rational people would still be waiting on.

Microsoft, as a counter, hasn't revealed anything. Unless Sony says they have found a legalized form of heroin that can only be used with a PS4, why would make a large announcement that would be blown off the front page?

No, Microsoft realizes they're selling shit tons of 360s and games. Chatter on game forums about a product that has not had one single announcement made concerning it won't amount to a thing when it actually gets launched this year or next.

We'd have known they bought it though and assumed what it was for. Just like we're assuming we know what Phil Harrisson and Nancy Tellem are working on.

I don't think it's because they are selling 360's,the people buying that aren't the ones who will buy 720 regardless since it will cost more.

They're going out of their way to not directly answer some of the questions that may lead to "shit bombs". Could be just that they're waiting to see if Microsoft will go down a shitty path first. I wonder to what degree Sony and Microsoft will lay out their entire services plan at E3. Nintendo revealed absolutely nothing until people were buying the console.

I don't think it's because they are selling 360's,the people buying that aren't the ones who will buy 720 regardless since it will cost more.

That's the mystery. Are they planning a lower priced, lower powered box to completely skip over the period of time that casuals usually don't buy a gaming console?

Nebula

I hope they do have some mind blowing shit. I really do. My Xbox and my Xbox 360 have been good to me.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Easy guys, not worth coming to blows because a close, perennial biz partner of MS essentially says, "They're working on it," which absolutely none of us actually doubted.

itsgreen

I'm speaking about 10 of my friends, and multiple forum users who have been exclusively xbox since the original Xbox, who are now talking about, or have already decided to jump ship. Most of which are doing it because the current exclusives and the price of live don't seem worth it anymore.

Probably should have stuck a "People I know" in there.

Go to the store and buy a PS4: MS has till November to do something.

Satchel

Banned
They're going out of their way to not directly answer some of the questions that may lead to "shit bombs". Could be just that they're waiting to see if Microsoft will go down a shitty path first. I wonder to what degree Sony and Microsoft will lay out their entire services plan at E3. Nintendo revealed absolutely nothing until people were buying the console.

That's the mystery. Are they planning a lower priced, lower powered box to completely skip over the period of time that casuals usually don't buy a gaming console?

I still suspect Sonys reveal was a response to something they heard that troubled them. Hence why almost no one knew an extra 4GB of RAM was coming. Sony probably heard that Predator noise in the background and shit bricks.

Nebula

I still suspect Sonys reveal was a response to something they heard that troubled them. Hence why almost no one knew an extra 4GB of RAM was coming. Sony probably heard that Predator noise in the background and shit bricks.

Wasn't it said in leaks though?

Dreamer.jpg

or maybe they understood mindshare this early in the game is a GOOD thing, especially after botching the entrance last gen.

Sony's quick reveal felt like a rush-job, which probably prompted Bungie's horrible quick reveal the weekend prior. Did they rush it out of fear? Don't know. I wouldn't doubt it given the way things worked out this gen for the PS3 and are working out for the Vita right now. Desperate times often lead to desperate actions. Could benefit them in the end, and it could bite them in the ass. That's the fun of all of this.

Nebula

or maybe they understood mindshare this early in the game is a GOOD thing, especially after botching the entrance last gen.

Also there is all that stuff about the guy who approached devs in like 2008 and asked them what they wanted in a next gen console. Sorry for not remembering the name.

Satchel

Banned
Dreamer.jpg

Riiiight, that's delusional, but of course the numerous claims that folks at Microsoft have been running around a panicked control room since February are perfectly plausible right?

Mifune

Mehmber
Riiiight, that's delusional, but of course the numerous claims that folks at Microsoft have been running around a panicked control room since February are perfectly plausible right?

Who is saying that in this thread? Who are you talking to? Why are people so defensive all the time and incapable of talking about anything without invoking the non-existent hive mind.

.thisisneogaf, I know.

Ding-Ding

A lot? Really? You know SonyGAF represents about .00000000000000005% of the market right?

Because you know, I'm sure Microsoft is shitting their pants because a bunch of Sony fans who were never planning on buying their console are....*gasp* still not buying their console.

What makes you think that those people who at present are saying "No" to durango are Sony fans?

While I can only speak for myself. I can tell you that I will not be buying durango at launch, even though I was a xbox & 360 owner on their launch days.

The reasons are nothing to do with being a owner of Sony consoles and everything to do with being an MS customer for the following.

Pissed of because of hardware failures.
Pissed off with pay to play online
IP fatigued with Halo, Gears etc
Would love to shove kinect where the sun dont shine

If recent rumours are true, MS have lost me as a customer full stop. If they aren't true, MS have to go to extremes to regain my custom, even then it wont be at launch.

I'm not talking about them. I know the word XBOX already has quite a bit of mindshare already, whether they appeal to the hardcore is another story, whether that bothers MS? I doubt it, especially after the success of Kinect.

Sony's quick reveal felt like a rush-job, which probably prompted Bungie's horrible quick reveal the weekend prior. Did they rush it out of fear? Don't know. I wouldn't doubt it given the way things worked out this gen for the PS3 and are working out for the Vita right now. Desperate times often lead to desperate actions. Could benefit them in the end, and it could bite them in the ass. That's the fun of all of this.

A rush job that revealed more about the console than anybody in their right mind expected. Don't kid yourself. Everyone expected nothing but tech demos and logos. They had polished game demos, UI pictures and demonstrations. On what planet is that considered rushed?

maltrain

Considering the UE4 downgrade on PS4, I'm curious to see the downgrade on XBox Next given slower ram and even less power.

EPIC = Microsoft

You really think that PS4 demo is the best the machine can do?

It's a pathetic try of attacking PS4.

If not, then the Capcom engine will be far superior after what we have seen...

Satchel

Banned
I'm not talking about them. I know the word XBOX already has quite a bit of mindshare already, whether they appeal to the hardcore is another story, whether that bothers MS? I doubt it, especially after the success of Kinect.

Why would they not to appeal to the hardcore?

Wouldn't the hardcore be more aware of XBLA if they also believe Microsoft doesn't have a big enough 1st party presence right now? Wouldn't they still be bale to play all the big 3rd party games?

What's this obsession with consoles suddenly living or dying by their 1st party games when the PS2 became the behemoth it did on the back of 3rd party muscle.

Mifune

Mehmber
What's this obsession with consoles suddenly living or dying by their 1st party games when the PS2 became the behemoth it did on the back of 3rd party muscle.

That's almost two generations ago though. Third party games hit every console now, with a few exceptions.

First party games are what help people to decide between two similar consoles with equally robust third party offerings.

DEADEVIL

Where are these people you speak of? You mean in GAF? Lol

A rush job that revealed more about the console than anybody in their right mind expected. Don't kid yourself. Everyone expected nothing but tech demos and logos. They had polished game demos, UI pictures and demonstrations. On what planet is that considered rushed?

On planet earth. There's a reason no one outside of Sony fans found that reveal to be all that appealing. It wasn't. To me it appeared that way because it felt rushed. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

B.O.O.M

No they are deluded as well. At least the edge report and such gave legitimate reasons for concern tho. Either way you can call one comment as being deluded without damage controlling bu bu they did it too! comments

Anywho OT: Sounds like he is saying not to worry about the dev friendly nature of the nextbox..to be honest I don't think there ever was such a concern. But it's good to know nontheless

Feindflug

EPIC = Microsoft

You really think that PS4 demo is the best the machine can do?

It's a pathetic try of attacking PS4.

If not, then the Capcom engine will be far superior after what we have seen...

MS through Epic made a pathetic attack on the PS4 with the Elemental UE4 demo?

please tell me you're joking.

MS through Epic made a pathetic attack on the PS4 with the Elemental UE4 demo?

please tell me you're joking.

Read his post history. He's most definitely not joking. He's hilarious.

Anywho OT: Sounds like he is saying not to worry about the dev friendly nature of the nextbox..to be honest I don't think there ever was such a concern. But it's good to know nontheless

Agreed. He said the next Xbox will be great to develop for. As all of Microsoft hardware is. Notice he said nothing about developer relations though? That's where it sounds like Microsoft may be fucking up.

Why would they not to appeal to the hardcore?

Wouldn't the hardcore be more aware of XBLA if they also believe Microsoft doesn't have a big enough 1st party presence right now? Wouldn't they still be bale to play all the big 3rd party games?

the hardcore want to be fed info NOW, casuals will wait up to the last minute and if what ever MS serves piques their interest, they'll buy...

guess who's not being fed right now?

exactly.

Top Bottom