• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic: Xbox silence at GDC isn't the full picture

So are you sugesting then that one side is making up bulshit ?

If so which side : the 10-20+ indie developers all throwing shit at MS
or Mark Rein. of epic possibly running damage control ?

which seems more likely?

What incentive does Mark Rein have to do "damage control"? Here's a hint- Epic makes games for every platform (except maybe Wii U LOL). Why on Earth would he be trying to defend Microsoft? Just because Gears is a Microsoft property doesn't mean Rein has anything to gain by saying this. As a prospective buyer, Rein speaking here unabashedly tells me that the big third-parties are very happy with Microsoft and that's a crucial piece of information.

However, if tin-foil hat conspiracies keep you going, by all means continue.

Its to early to say for sure at this stage.

On the one hand you have people like Mark Rein stating everything is hunky dory and on the other you have twitter dev chatter complaining about MS API's and indi's saying MS are stuck in the dark ages (one even said recent MS contract was "insulting")

And you have Mario from PikPok indicating that the contracts from both Sony and Microsoft are driving more devs to mobile platforms.

Microsoft had dev parties at this GDC?

Yes:

BGg6UQGCIAASORJ.jpg

Ding-Ding

which seems more likely?

Like I said, its difficult to tell. On the one hand the indi's maybe complaining just because they have to jump through some hoops to get their game published on xbox platforms (the API bitching were devs including Irrational Games employees) .

On the other you have Rein who spent the majority of this gen as a 2nd party under MS publishing, so therefore cound have a different support relationship with MS that 3rd parties dont have access to.

Thorgal

What incentive does Mark Rein have to do "damage control"? Here's a hint- Epic makes games for every platform (except maybe Wii U LOL). Why on Earth would he be trying to defend Microsoft? Just because Gears is a Microsoft property doesn't mean Rein has anything to gain by saying this. As a prospective buyer, Rein speaking here unabashedly tells me that the big third-parties are very happy with Microsoft and that's a crucial piece of information.

apart from indies apparently .

also i am just speculating .so i think taking the tin foil hats out is not needed here.

Doffen

which seems more likely?

Ken Levine (Bioshock) said live during Major Nelsons PAX podcast that one of his tech guys had just got back from XFest. So yes, there are stuff that not everyone except for selected developers gets to see.

Ken Levine (Bioshock) said live during Major Nelsons PAX podcast that one of his tech guys had just got back from XFest. So yes, there are stuff that not everyone except for selected developers gets to see.

It was out of X Fest that the no-used-games rumor sprung, btw.

Klocker

which seems more likely?

we hear what we want to hear and believe what we are prejudiced to believe.

Fact is...Fact, is, MS has always worked with Devs, on every aspect of each machine including this one. Keeping a few indie devs out of the loop of a secret plan yet to be unveiled is more believable to me.

B.O.O.M

I have a stupid way of thinking? I though it was just a different way of thinking since you know people have different opinions and all. :/

Also SF and SC being spin-offs and Killzone, Infamous not being in the top-tier of Sony's franchises is just my opinion and I'm trying to present them as facts? so from today not numbered sequels are clearly not spin-offs and Killzone/Infamous are clearly as strong as God Of War, Uncharted & Gran Turismo because you say so...yeah I guess it's not worth continuing this conversation.

oh no, different opinions are fine. Thinking your opinion is above others is and trying to downplay them IS stupid. Let me try and simplify this even more for you. Let's say a person says MS E3 conference of 2012 rocked. I don't agree. But I understand if you are a fan of the games shown it would have been a great show for you and I will respect that. There is no universal way of measuring something like that. It doesn't mean others have lower standards/preferences than me..they just have different ones.

And you can't have an opinion about whether KZ SF and Second Son are spin offs or not. That's just not right factually. This is something that has to do with the developers intent and the nature of the game and its setting. They are proper sequels in the franchise continuing the story. Not sure why such simple things are so hard for you to understand.

As you have failed to notice I never argued with you about your opinion on what are the top tier franchises and such..that's up to opinion. So not sure what that little rant towards the end of your post was about or what part of my comment you are even addressing.

If you don't wish to continue this, especially when you can't just accept when you are wrong, feel free to do so.

Madness

I imagine, based on what Major Nelson after the Sony event, that they'll announce their Nextbox with fully finished specs and hardware and announce, like apple, it'll be available for sale in November of this year etc.

keit4

Banned
EPIC = Microsoft

You really think that PS4 demo is the best the machine can do?

It's a pathetic try of attacking PS4.

If not, then the Capcom engine will be far superior after what we have seen...

WOAH

Sony will be proud of ya, console warrior.

Klocker

I imagine, based on what Major Nelson after the Sony event, that they'll announce their Nextbox with fully finished specs and hardware and announce, like apple, it'll be available for sale in November of this year etc.

exactly

that's why they have nothing to say, when they say it, it will be to announce everything. It's called being prepared. ;)

a couple months of negative thoughts and threads and stupid conspiracy theories are going to be forgotten 2 minutes after that ends.

funny thing is people are talking just as much about NOT talking about MS as if they had announced.

Doffen

Kotaku originally reported the no used games rumor last year.

Poor Kotaku, no one believes them when they break rumors.

For those interested, here's a rough write-up of what Ken Levine said:

Well I just actually got briefed on, cuz I’ve been so focused on infinite, one of my technology, Chris Kline, just got back from XFest, he sort of gave me the brain dump yesterday – yesterday – last night, I’ve got 12/24 hours of processing.

He also started mumbling something about really creative stuff from Microsoft before he stopped himself.

Source. It starts at 46:20

Heysoos

EPIC = Microsoft

You really think that PS4 demo is the best the machine can do?

It's a pathetic try of attacking PS4.

If not, then the Capcom engine will be far superior after what we have seen...

LOL. I had noticed your post history before, and not for a good reason. Glad to see I was completely right about my assumptions. God speed console warrior.

gaming_noob

He also started mumbling something about really creative stuff from Microsoft before he stopped himself.

Nice catch... he was so hesitant and couldn't think of words to describe it to dance around the NDA... I found it kind of weird when he drifted off with the word "platform" as if he's unsure what to call it.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I forgot about that.

Who knows though maybe Ruffian is working on their own project along with Ryse's MP. :p

Don't think so. If you consider they did Nike+ Kinect Training with Sumo last year, plus Ryse multiplayer, plus that Tribal Tower thing, don't think there are many folks left.

lantus

I really don't see how his comment changes anything. We all know they're talking about it behind the scenes, but that doesn't change the public perception one bit. PS4 will just keep getting all the attention until then.

Doffen

I really don't see how his comment changes anything. We all know they're talking about it behind the scenes, but that doesn't change the public perception one bit. PS4 will just keep getting all the attention until then.

This discussion is not about the public perception of the unannounced next Xbox. GDC isn't actually meant for the public.

The idea that there's even a public perception of PS4 or an unannounced Xbox right now is hilarious.

Apparently some people live in a word where all their co-workers discuss the latest PS4 leaks at the water cooler and bitch about how the next Xbox won't play used games with strangers in line at the local Starbucks.

There's definitely public perception about the PS4. The launch was covered by most media outlets, even non tech one's, news channels etc.

30 seconds at the end of a news broadcast here and there or an article criticizing the launch for not showing the actual console isn't building any real perception of the PS4. And by public perception, I'm referring to the masses, not us. There will be no real public perception of it until right around launch (as long as Sony does its best to build awareness). People simply don't give a shit about stuff they can't buy. Steve Jobs knew that, which is why he put a huge emphasis on unveiling it and then immediately releasing it.

That Ken Levine excerpt raised my brow, wonder what's going on in Redmond.

It's currently raining.

R3TRODYCE

30 seconds at the end of a news broadcast here and there or an article criticizing the launch for not showing the actual console isn't building any real perception of the PS4. And by public perception, I'm referring to the masses, not us. There will be no real public perception of it until right around launch (as long as Sony does its best to build awareness). People simply don't give a shit about stuff they can't buy. Steve Jobs knew that, which is why he put a huge emphasis on unveiling it and then immediately releasing it.

It's currently raining.

Well played. ;)

ari

Banned
With all these shitty rumors making the nextbox look bad while the MS guys and devs just brushing it off. I really think they will blow us away at the reveal.

Iacobellis

If Ken knows this much, and other developers do, shouldn't we have some VERY concrete leaks by now? Ahem, unless everything we have heard is true.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

While I see what you are trying to point out, I don't think your examples are great, while Epic make a middleware multi-platform engine they themselves haven't really done much on the console platform this generation; sure they might have put out UT3 on both 360 and PS3 and even given the PS3 version an extra helping with its bonus features, but besides that Gears has really become their meat and potatoes next to what they can get out on mobile platforms.

Gears of War is one of MS biggest 360 exclusives next to Halo, Fable and Forza, and iirc Forza and Fable are usually a few million behind Gears, so I think he obviously isn't going to go round and bad mouth MS when they work so closely together. Sony being in general gaming news for being good to work with now really comes from them being a bit shitty with their hardware and developer relations going into the current generation, we aren't going to hear that from developers at this point because they don't have a system to talk about and this sort of work has already been going on.

Being the VP of a company that provides one of the most popular console engines around I don't really expect him to bash prospective buyers and hardware manufactures anyway; but evidently Nintendo and their hardware is starting to become the butt of a lot of jokes, and I imagine it is somewhat frustrating to Epic too as their latest engine and where they expect to make money licensing it off isn't going to happen on the platform because it isn't worth the time or money.

With all these shitty rumors making the nextbox look bad while the MS guys and devs just brushing it off. I really think they will blow us away at the reveal.

We will have to wait and see, if the rumours end up being true they might not blow us away on the graphical, more powerful hardware front, but that isn't everything these days and MS is a big company with lots of things going on, their main focus has and will no doubt always be software; I expect some pretty snazzy features from them.

Why can't be some are true some are false?well guess because it include "required" online and "ban" used games rumors even the doc never said this

I think people are all leaking the same info. Others are just interpreting it differently. Anyone that wants to think the worst will translate "always-online" into "if you're offline, you cant play anymore". When in fact the leaked doc makes no such statement. So if we're going by the docs, we know that Kinect is required to operate the device (not a bad thing), installs are mandatory (not a bad thing since the leak also states games will be playable during install), and the console is capable of always being online (definitely not a bad thing).

Top Bottom